Ackerman

This Is It

"Ellie? Are you even listening to what I am saying? You just asked me what I think of your music and now you aren't listening?"

Sooyoung Unnie and I were in my basement recording studio along with Hyemi. I turned to look at Sooyoung Unnie who was now standing next to me waiting for me to respond to her. I was so out of it, I just stared back. I didn't even know what she just said.

"I just asked you if you were listening"

"I'm sorry unnie, I wasn't. I was just... thinking"

"You just asked me about something and started thinking about something else? What is it with you anyway? You've been a little.. off.. since yesterday, zoning out during practice and stuff. Even from the moment you came into the office you looked a little dazed. Is something wrong?"

"You haven't told her, have you, Ellie?"

I watched as Sooyoung Unnie's head snapped in Hyemi's direction. Confusion was etched on her face as she looked at Hyemi questioningly. Hyemi just tilted her head towards me and spoke.

"Ellie should tell her yourself unnie. Besides, I really need to head off for my evening classes. I don't want to keep my students waiting. Ellie, I think you should tell Sooyoung Unnie. I was so useless to you. I didn't know how to help and I still don't but I know it's bothering you."

"You weren't useless Hyemi. You listened, I just can't help that it's still bothering me. I really don't like the way I handled the situation."

"Will someone tell me what's going on?!"

"Ellie will Unnie, I will leave you two to talk. I'll be coming back here at 8pm so I will see you both later. Talk to her Ellie. You hear me?"

"I will. Just go. I'll be fine"

Sooyoung Unnie and I watched as Hyemi walked up the stairs. Our eyes followed her till she was out of sight. I kept staring in that direction as I didn't really know where to start with my explanation. But I was highly aware of the fact that Sooyoung Unnie's focus was already on me. I took a deep breath and turned to look at her. I tilted my head towards the couch at the back of the room and started walking towards it.

"This might take a while Unnie, so let's sit"

~

"I'm.. Emily.. Emily Ackerman"

"I'm sorry I don't know anyone by that..."

My eyes widened. Ackerman. That name. No. It couldn't be. It had been ages since I last heard that name being uttered by the officers investigating my family's accident.

"Ackerman.. Did you just say Ackerman?!"

"Yes, I'm the wife of James Ackerman. And this is my daughter El...."

"What are you doing here? What do you want from me? I don't want to see you or hear anything from you!"

"I know you're angry and I don't expect forgiveness for my husband or anything. But I wanted to express my deepest apologies for what my husband had done. Because of him, you lost your whole family. You were alone in life at the young age of 15. No one should have to go through that. I tried to contact you after the accident but the officers said you didn't want anyone contacting you. And then I found you on that show immortal song. After hearing your story I knew it was you and I knew I had to find you to apologise"

"... what good is it? What good does an apology do?! Does it make you feel better?! It doesn't make me feel any better. It's too late! You're husband destroyed my life! There's no going back! I don't want your apology. Just leave me alone."

"Do you think you're the only one who suffered?! I was into my third trimester when this happened! My daughter was about to be born and she lost her father before even being born. I didn't have a job and my husband wiped out our savings for his drinking habit! I had to go to work just 1 week after delivering my baby girl. You're not the only one who had it hard Ellie! But I still wanted to apologise to you. I didn't have to come down all the way here. It wasn't even my fault. But do you know why I did? I broke into tears after watching your performance and I finally told my daughter what happened to her father and what it did to your family. And do you know what she said? She said she wanted to tell you she was sorry. She wanted to apologise to you too. We had to use Elise's college fund that I'm barely managing just to pay for this trip. And this is the response..."

"What... her name.. what did you just say her name was?"

"I.. It's Elise.. I named her after your sister. I just thought...I don't know.. it just felt right"

I turned to look at the little girl.

"I'm sorry Ellie, for what my daddy did. You are frowning so I know you are still angry. But I want to be friends. So that I can fix what daddy did"

"Elise.."

"Yes my name is the same as your sister. So can we be friends?"

"...."

"Don't cry, I'm sorry. Mommy is too."

I raised my hand to touch my cheek. I looked down at my hands and realised that I was crying. I looked up at Emily and down at the girl. I wasn't ready to deal with this. I was tired and stressed and this... I just wasn't ready. Without a word I just turned and walked away. Disregarding the call of El.. the little girl and her mom. I just kept walking towards the office, totally dazed.

~

"That's why I was so dazed yesterday unnie. That happened just before I walked into the office."

"You miss your family"

"I miss them everyday Unnie. That isn't it. I behaved like a brat. I only cared about my pain. I didn't realise someone else was affected too. I was so rude to Emily and El.. her daughter. What did they do? They had no control of James' actions. I lost my family at 15 but that poor little girl lost her father even before she met him. I feel so bad for the way I acted towards them."

"Then apologise"

"That's the thing I don't think I can.. I can't. that little girl.."

"You can't bare to say her name. That's it, isn't it?"

"Yeah.."

"Ellie, you know that it isn't their fault and you know that they didn't deserve the way you treated them. So you have to own up to your actions and apologise to them. No matter how hard it may be for you. I know it's been a while since you've had to say her name and I know it can be painful but you have to deal with it. You're sister was an amazing person and this little girl might be just as amazing. That girl does not deserve to feel guilty for something she never did. Who knows, the three of you being involved in one another's lives might help all of you move on"

"Hyemi was right"

"Huh?"

"Talking to you about it really did help. You said exactly what I needed to hear. Apologising for the way I treated them isn't all I'm going to do. I'm gonna.. get involved. Just like you said. You're the best Unnie. I definitely feel better."

I leaned over to give Sooyoung Unnie a hug as a thank you. She got up quickly just as I pulled back and she started walking towards the front of the room.

"Erm.. yeah.. don't mention it. I just said what I felt."

"And it was what I needed to hear, I just hope I'm not too late and I hope I can find them. El.. Elise needs to know I'm sorry... Unnie? Now you're not listening to me"

I was standing right behind Sooyoung Unnie who was now fiddling with my recording equipment. She seemed to snap out of it and turned around quickly only to shove me away the next second.

"Unnie what was that? Why did you push me away?"

"You.. You were standing too close! I.. Personal Space! I need my space."

"You didn't have to push me that hard.."

"ERHEM.. Am I interupting something?"

"Hyemi? You're back early?!"

"Oh yeah.. about that.. I kinda mixed up my days.. my classes are tomorrow not today. So I just figured I'd come back here early but if you.."

"We just finished talking about what was bothering Ellie. And she feels better. There's nothing else Hyemi-shi"

I just kept looking between the 2 of them. Hyemi was smiling really weirdly while looking at Sooyoung Unnie and Sooyoung Unnie looked like she had just been caught committing a crime. I just didn't get it.

"Now what's up with the both of you? I'm back to normal and you guys are acting weird"

Hyemi just ignored me and walked over and whispered something to Sooyoung Unnie. Sooyoung Unnie looked shocked and backed up against the table and accidentally hit a button on my laptop. Before I could say anything, a song started playing. A song I had no lyrics for . The song that was meant for me and Elise to write together.

I stayed silent and for some reason, so did Hyemi and Sooyoung unnie. When the music ended they both turned to me in unison and said, "This is it!"

I looked at them, a little confused. Sooyoung Unnie took a step forward and spoke. "Why didn't you show me this song instead of the other 5 songs? This song is perfect. I mean I know it's not ready. But I know for sure that the company will love it. This is it. This is the song that you're going to present to the company for your Debut. Write the lyrics in English if you need to. We can get someone to work with you and rewrite the song in Korean. I know it is a little rushed, but you need to have this ready in 2 days. If you can do that, I think you'll have a chance of this being your debut song."

Sooyoung Unnie turned to look at Hyemi and all Hyemi did was nod.

"But.."

"No buts Ellie, This will be the best chance you have at a debut with your original song. Trust me"

"C'mon Sooyoung Unnie, I think we should leave and let her work on the song. Since she does not have enough time she better get started ASAP"

"Guys you don't have to.."

"We'll see you tomorrow. C'mon Sooyoung Unnie I know you'd rather stay longer and spend more ti.."

"OKAY LET'S GO HYEMI SHI! Let's not bother her with TOO MUCH INFORMATION" 

"I SWEAR THE BOTH OF YOU ARE CONFUSING ME TODAY" I yelled those words as I watched them run up the stairs before letting themselves out. After hearing the door shut behind them, I just walked over to my laptop, hit play again and plopped onto my couch with a notepad in hand.

 

~I don't know how I feel~

 

I had just barely managed the first line and Sooyoung Unnie came running back into the room.

"The Ackerman's are here! I kinda already let them in, so just hurry on up. They are waiting in the living room! Do what you need to do and I will see you tomorrow."

"You did what?!"

"Just go and apologise. You didn't have to go looking for them. This is your chance so hurry up"

I stood there frozen. Sooyoung Unnie gave up on me moving on my own free will and started dragging me up. She practically shoved me into the living room and ran out the door.

"Erhem"

Emily and Elise both looked at me at the same time but Emily looked like she was not happy to be there while Elise just beamed at me with an adorable smile. I could tell that Elise must have been the one to insist on visiting but elise's expression turned serious all of a sudden.

"I'm sorry"

Emily looked up with shock written all over her face. Elise and I had spoken at the same time. That felt both nostalgic and painful. But Emily's shock had nothing to do with that. I knew she was shocked that I apologised. I decided to explain myself.

"I'm sorry for the way I treated the both of you yesterday. It was not your fault. You did not deserve that, considering that you have been through your own fair share of troubles. I was so focused on my pain I failed to see yours. And I am sorry about that."

"Well that was unexpected" All I could do after hearing Emily say that was give her an apologetic smile. Just then Elise spoke up. "So does this mean we can be friends?" I squat down before calling her over to me. "El.. Elise, could you come over here please"

Elise climbed out of the couch and walked over to me with a little bounce in her step.

"Yes we can. And instead of just saying sorry for my behaviour I also have a present for you. I'm going to give that present to your mommy to keep it safe for you till it is time for you to use it. Okay?" and with that I stood up and walked back to the couch with Elise in hand to a very confused looking Emily.

"What present?"

"I would like it if you could give me the chance to pay for Elise's education. From now till college."

"What?!"

"The struggles you have been through to put food on the table must have been hard. I never had to worry about money and at least in that case, I was blessed. I just want to reduce your burden a little and well take it as my way of apologising. I really am sorry."

"I appreciate the offer, but that's too much"

"This isn't up for negotiation"

"But"

"Please just let me do this. For Elise. Please."

"... Thank you"

"Awesome. We can discuss the payment arrangement later but would you like to stay for dinner, I can order in"

"That won't be necess.."

"Can we please stay mommy?"

"But Ellie has work to do baby girl"

"I don't mind really. Maybe she can help me out a little"

"Okay fine just till we're done with dinner"

"What are you busy with Ellie?" I looked down at the little girl looking at me eager to help.

"I'm writing a song. In fact it's a song that I was supposed to write with my sister, Elise. Do you want to come down to my studio to help me?"

"Yayay! I have the same name! I can help! Mommy Can I help?"

"Don't misbehave alright? Be a good girl and yes you may help"

"I'll be a good girl! Don't worry mommy"

"Alright, you guys give me a moment and I'll be back after ordering us some pizza"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Ellie can I come in?"

"Yeah yeah sure Emily, come on down"

"I hope Elise wasn't too much of a bother.. oh she's asleep!"

"Yeah she fell asleep slightly after we came in here after dinner. She was not a bother at all. Anyway, do you like the book I lent you?"

"Yes I do, its just a shame that I haven't finished it yet. But I really think Elise and I should get going."

"You should probably get going but you can take that book along with you. I've already read it."

"Ellie.."

"Just take it."

"I'm starting to see that you're not someone to bother arguing with"

"Hhaha you sure got that right."

"So was Elise of any help?"

"Just being in the same room as her helped"

"What do you mean Ellie?"

"Elise, my sister, and I, we were supposed to write a song together to this music. And this is the song I want to debut with but I never got to complete it. Elise, your daughter, being here, well it just reminded me of our childhood and how much I miss her so yeah that helped. I've come up with some lyrics although nothing is final yet. 

"Do you mind if I hear it?"

"Erm.. sure.. why not. You can sit there next to Elise.."

 

 

~I don't know, how I feel~

~I just know, that I'm empty~

~Cos you are not with me~

 

~I lost hope,  I lost faith~

~I lost you nana nana nanana~

~Na Na Na Na Na~

 

~Na Na Na Na~

~Na na na an na na na nana~

~na na naan na na ~

~na na na na na na na na~

 

Chorus

~ I thought I lost my breath~

~The air I breathe~

~Everything that you were to me~

~But now I'm gonna try, to fine myself~

To be continued

 

"That's the general melody and some lyrics I came up with during the past hour. So what do you think Emily?"

"I think Elise is gonna love it... BOTH of them"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: The lyrics are pathetic for now. I will try my best to come up with good ones. So just bear with me. Otherwise thanks for reading!!