I Love You

This Is It

After going back and forth about whether to do the show or not, I finally decide to go for it. I arranged the music and rehearsed throughout the week and it was finally time, the day of the performance. I managed the rehearsal without crumbling into a ball of tears and waited for the filming to start.

"Hi Ellie-shi. It's nice to meet you. I saw you on that show. Congratulations on winning and I'm looking forward to your performance today."

Just like that, I was swarmed with compliments but I couldn't get rid of the nerves. I was never one to have stage fright and today that still wasn't it. It was this song, why was I invited for this special and why did it have to be this song. While still in the middle of my thoughts, we start the filming in the waiting room. After introducing 2 of the guests, Moon Heejun turns to me. "Today we have a first-time contender and new face in the industry, Ellie shi"

"Hello, everyone. I'm Ellie. It's nice to meet all of you and it's such an honour for me to be here today"

"We're glad to have you here. Your performance was great! I've actually become a fan of your dance videos as well! Maybe you could sh.."

"Let me pick the first contender now" Shin Dong Yeop announces interrupting Moon Heejun.

"Considering statistics, there are high chances that Ellie-shi gets picked first. First timers get picked first a lot" Moon Heejun says to me.

Being a fan of the show I know there is truth behind those words.

"A talented new face, Ellie-Shi!"

Not sure whether to feel relieved or nervous I get up.

"I'll do my best!" I say and start walking out.

"Good Luck!"

"All the best"

"Hwaiting"

I turn to smile as a little thank you.

"This is the Parent's Day Special, but why is it that all I can think off is you, Elise".

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Elise, this is for you" I whisper as the music begins. I slowly raise my hand and start singing.

 

 When I couldn't find a place to stand~

When I lost my way in the storm~

Those who always gave me unchanging love and courage~

I send my gratitude to them~ 

~

"Ellie! Come down honey! You're going to be late for your guitar lesson"

I walked into the Kitchen while dragging my feet. "Do I really have to go?"

"What do you mean? You love playing the guitar. Why the sudden change of heart? Did something happen?"

"They're all bigger than me mommy, and better than me"

Finally understanding what was bothering me, Mom bent down to my eye level. "Ellie my Darling, You are only 10 years old and you are attending the same class as teenagers. You're the most talented 10-year-old I know. If anyone is to feel intimidated it should be your classmates. You may feel a little lost at first but I know my baby will find her way. You have to be brave for mommy. I know you can do this"

"I believe in you too Ellie! Mommy said the same thing to me for my dance classes. I trusted mommy, and she was right. You will be having so much fun, just like me" Elise chimes in.

"You sure?"

"Very! So let's get ready! I don't want to be late for my dance class either"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes there were times when I felt that I was alone~

Looking at me crying so much in those past days~

How heartbreaking it must've been for you?~

~

"I want to see my family, tell me where they are! Stop lying to me! They can't be gone! They can't be.."

"Poor girl, I heard she's only 15 and she just lost her whole family in that accident that happened last night. She's the only survivor. The other driver was responsible for the accident. He was drunk and died on impact. I heard that her parents did too. Her twin died soon after."

"No.. It can't be true" Tears flowing uncontrollably.

Those ladies look at me with pity and walk away.

"No!!!" 

All alone in the room we used to share, I cried myself to sleep every night for months after.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you dreaming the same dream as mine?~

Are you really looking at the same place I am?~

That thing only can heal every pain in this world~

As long as we can cherish each other~

~

"Do you think we will make it big one day?"

"We will Elise. We're not just dreaming it, we're working hard to make it happen"

"Do you know what my biggest dream is Ell?"

"Yeah, of course! To be a world famous dancer. How can I possibly not know that"

"But that's not all of it. I want to be a world famous dancer dancing to the music of an amazing musician. Your music. I want to perform on a world stage, with you. That's my biggest dream."

"... that would be the best thing ever, wouldn't it? I'd love that Elise. Let's make it happen"

"As long as we have each other, nothing and no one can get in our way"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Till the end of my life~

Till the end of this world~

We will be together forever~

~

I roll over in our tent. Elise rolls over to face me.

"It's our 15th birthday tomorrow"

"Yes it is, in about 5 minutes," I say looking at my watch.

"What are you going to wish for this year?" Elise asks while rolling onto her back and staring up.

"Wishes don't come true if you say them out loud," I say while mimicking her actions.

Elise's head snaps to face me. "C'mon, you don't still believe that do you? Just tell me already"

"I'm never gonna hear the end of this if I don't tell you, will I?"

"Mmhmm. So just tell me."

 

"Fine.. It's simple really"

(12:01AM 15th September 2008)

"Even once we are old and wrinkly, I wish You and I can be together forever"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like little hearts gather to become a great strength~

I’m believing we’re one~

~

"Hey Ellie, will you dance with me?"

"Me? Now? Here?"

"Yes, to all of that"

We were in our favourite place ever, near a pond in the clearing of a small forest near our house.

"But we don't have any music," I say confused at her sudden request.

"Yeah, but there's been something I've been meaning to try. I felt you'd be the perfect person to help me, being my twin and all, and since you dance a little too"

"But I only know contemporary and I am not as good as you"

"That's not important, Ell. Just come here and face me"

She moves to grab my right hand and places it near my heart and then my left hand to her heart.

"Let's dance to our heart beats," she says quietly with her eyes closed.

Understanding washes over me as I close my eyes too and try to slow my breathing.

Then it happens, our heartbeats were now beating in sync. Our eyes shoot open and I wait for Elise to make the first move. At first, I mirror her movement. Then we start to move differently while still complimenting each other's movements. And then we stop, facing each other.

"That was beautiful, we were dancing as one and it felt amazing."

"It was perfect, it was everything I expected and more. If we have the chance, will you perform this with me on stage one day?"

"There's no doubt about it, I will dance it with you"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The music stops. I place the mic on the floor. Silence fills the stage. I close my eyes and I dance, the way I did with Elise 9 years ago. Then I stop, this time on my knees. I pick up the mic and with a shaky voice..

 

Together we create happiness~

Till the day when we become the light in the parched world~

I Love You~

 

I only managed a whisper at the last line. 

I bowed to the applause and tried to keep my head down. I couldn't control my tears anymore so I hurried off stage. My legs give way and I just crumble into my seat leaving the staff confused. It takes me awhile to get myself together and soon the 2nd performer is done and I am needed back on stage. As I walk up those steps, I look up and think "We did it, my music and your dance, we did it Elise.. we did it"