In Dubai~

This Is It

"Ellie.. explain to me again why your meeting has to be held all the way here in Dubai?"

"I told you unnie.. It was my dad's tradition. Meetings are boring, so to make it a little interesting these meeting are held in a different country every time. And before you worry, this board meeting is held once a year so only one random trip per year okay?"

"Why Dubai this year?" 

"I dunno Unnie.. I let the board members pick"

"And you didn't have a say in any of it?"

"Unnie? Why are you asking so many questions all of a sudden? You don't like it here?"

"No No. This place is really pretty. The views have been amazing and don't even get me started on how amazing this hotel is. It's just that I.. don't.. I"

Sooyoung Unnie started stumbling over her words as she helped me adjust the collar of my shirt. I knew something was bothering her so I tried to look at her face through the mirror but her head was bowed and her face was blocked by my shoulder.

"Sooyoung Unnie what is it? Just tell me."

"It's just that... I get really uncomfortable when I go overseas because of the language barrier. I'm fine when you're around but when I have to be alone when you're off at work.. "

"Why didn't you tell me earlier? You didn't have to come along with me you know"

"I didn't really have a choice about it. The bosses wouldn't have had it any other way. You're stuck with me"

"Not that I'm complaining Unnie. I love having you around."

Sooyoung unnie turned away from me all of a sudden. The fact that she was avoiding my eyes made me wonder if it was really making her that uncomfortable. I wanted to fix that. I started walking towards her but just before I reached her, she started moving towards the balcony we shared. I followed slowly. She must have sensed my presence because she spoke.

"I didn't tell you because I didn't want to bother you with such a small thing"

I couldn't see her face but I could tell she was frowning. It showed in her voice. It always did. She must have been tolerating it for the past 2 days not wanting to bother me. That made me feel bad. I took a step forward and hugged her from the back. "Unnie, if there is anything bothering you please tell me next time? If you told me I would have minimised your alone time as much as I could have. Don't hesitate to tell me anything okay?"

"..." 

"Unnie?"

Sooyoung Unnie still wasn't responding so I turned her around to face me. She was still avoiding my eyes but I noticed that her face was a little red which worried me a little. "Unnie are you okay? Why is your face red?"

"Huh? Oh erm.. it's just the.. heat. Yeah that's all"

"Then you better get inside. We wouldn't want you getting burnt"

"I'm fine, just leave me here in the room and go for your final meeting. I'd rather stay here then go out alone"

"Alright unnie whatever you prefer. Just give me about 3 more hours and I promise I will never leave your side."

Sooyoung Unnie looked up at me when I said that. It was like she was searching my eyes for something so I gave her a reassuring smile. She seemed to find what she was looking for because her eyes reflected realisation but her smile reflected disappointment. I didn't quite get that but before I could question it she grabbed my stuff, shoved it in my arms and pushed me out the door. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"SOOYOUNG UNNIE! I SAW DDONGIE COUPLE HERE IN DUBAI!"

"OMG! YOU GAVE ME A HEART ATTACK BARGING IN LIKE THAT!"

"Oh hehe sorry. I got a little carried away"

"A little?"

"Okay maybe a lot.. but the point is.. I saw DDongie Couple"

"Will you just calm down?!"

"Okay okay I'm sorry. But I saw them!!! There were both wearing white and were all dressed up"

"Where?"

"My car passed their car!!"

"......................................... That's it?"

"What do you mean by that's it Unnie?! I saw them! That's a big deal"

"From your reaction, I would think that it was not such a short encounter"

"Unnie I did not see them during their first 2 days here so I deserve all the excitement even it is a pathetic encounter okay? So don't trample on my happiness"

"Hahaha okay okay. No need to get all dramatic Ellie, Hyemi-shi seems to be rubbing off on you."

"I was planning to take you somewhere nice Unnie, but for ruining my excitement I might just have to rethink that"

Sooyoung Unnie's expression turned serious all of a sudden.

"You don't have to bring me anywhere if you don't want to"

"Unnie c'mon I was just kidding. I'm going to take you out just as planned but you're not allowed to ask questions because it's a surprise."

"You know I'm here as your manager to keep an eye on your public image right? You don't need to go around preparing surprises for me"

"And you know that you are much more to me than just my manager right?"

"I am?"

"Ofcourse Unnie! Why would you even doubt that? I consider you a friend! So if you have a problem hanging out with me as a manager, forget that for one day and just be my friend"

"Friend... right"

"Don't worry, I won't use this to take advantage of you Unnie. When working, we work, but when we play, let's have fun okay? So go get dressed, there's a dress in the closet I prepared for you. I think you'll look great in it."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't you think it's beautiful Unnie?"

Sooyoung Unnie and I were watching The Dubai Fountain. The fountain was now moving to the song Let it go. The water was illuminated and everything around me was so beautiful. Sooyoung Unnie was standing in front of me although I was standing slightly to the right of her. I looked down to see her smiling. I could tell she was finally at ease. She wasn't uncomfortable anymore. That ease and happiness looked beautiful on her.

"It's absolutely amazing Ellie. Thanks for bringing me here"

"You should come here again in the future Unnie, with the one you love. I think it will be really romantic. It could be for your honeymoon or your wedding anniversary. Someone as amazing as you is bound to meet someone nice."

"What if I never confess?"

"And why wouldn't you Unnie?"

"Cos it may complicate things"

"Are you in love with someone?!"

"Love is a bit of a strong word. It's a little too early for that. But Like.. yeah maybe. I kinda just started realising it"

"OMG who is it Unnie? Is it someone I know?"

"Erm.. I guess you could say that?"

"OMG Unnie tell me please?"

"You won't find out till I actually confess Ellie."

"Not even a hint Unnie?"

"No chance. Just keep quiet and enjoy the fountain. It's already one of the most romantic memories I will have"

"What was that Unnie? The most what memory you'll have?"

"Oh nothing. I just said it is one of the best memories I will ever have"

"Yeah mine too"

"OMG Ellie, look over there"

"Who? what? where?"

"There! DDongie couple!"

"OMG! JUST LOOK AT THEM!"

"SHUSHHH Ellie"

"Right shushhh got it"

"Do you want to go over and say hi?"

"And ruin the moment they are having? Look at the way he's looking at her. No way man. I'll just be satisfied watching from afar. I really wanna meet Yongsun Unnie and Eric. Well I mean, they're my ideal types for their respective genders although I'll probably only mention Eric on actual broadcasts. But as much I wanna meet them I will hate myself for ruining their moment. So I will just have to wait. The time will come but this isn't it, not yet."

"The time will come, you truly believe in that don't you?"

"Yeah I do. You should too Unnie. The time will come and all that you wish for will come true. It may not be now, so just be patient."

"Hmm.. at least I'll have time to figure things out.."

"Huh? What are you talking about Unnie?"

"Oh nothing. Just thinking out loud"

"So I guess It'll be back to work once back in Korea right Unnie?"

"Yes Ellie, we'll be so busy we won't even have time to be distracted. And we'll be back to manager and artist mode"

"Just promise my friend Sooyoung unnie comes out once in a while too okay?"

"Haha yeah promise. Now get back to stalking your Ddongie couple"

"Hey! I'm not a stalker!"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Excuse me?"

"Huh? Oh hi"

I turned around a little shocked to hear someone address me in English here in Korea and that too with an English accent. I welcomed the familiarity as I smiled at the lady and her child who looked like she was about 7 years old.

"You're Ellie aren't you?"

"Yes, do I know you?"

"I guess you don't remember then. But I spoke to you all those years ago. Do you remember?"

"I'm sorry but I don't remember. When? What did you say to me?"

"I'm sorry"

"Huh?"

"That's what I said to you. That I'm sorry. I truly am. And I really want you to know that"

"Huh? What for? You're starting to confuse me. Who are you?"

"....I'm.... Emily.... Emily Ackerman.."

_______________________________________________________________

A/N: I kinda really wanted Ellie to meet Ddongie couple in Dubai but it started to feel like it'll be too intrusive considering how romantic the final Dubai  episode looks like it is gonna be. So  I settled for glimpses of them. And about Sooyoung Unnie.. I didn't exactly plan for this but it felt right. So yeah I hope you like the direction the story is going in and I hope that it  isn't getting boring!