The Grandmother

Marrying By Contract
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

                Three days had passed since Joon entered feverish in that house. He had been in bed for two days already alleging he was still very ill. He would complain about goosebumping all day long, sniffing now and then and once in a while – more precisely whenever Hyuna told him to get out of bed and do anything that wasn’t bed related – Joon would say he had a headache out of the sudden.

Hyuna wanted to scold him for being such a liar – yes, she knew he was alright – but she wanted to have a reason to keep him around and so she convinced her head he was still sick and acted upon that judgment.

                “Joon, do you want anything else?” Hyuna asked going in the guestroom down the hall. Joon was covered up almost till his ears snoring softly. Hyuna stayed there by the door looking at the lump under the sheets sighing and crossing her arms. “What am I going to do with you?”

She was now divided between the thought of having him there with her and letting her feelings run wild, hug him and tell him she likes him or just to stay put and act cold; truthfully she wanted to be with him and only him. Hyuna didn’t felt the need to be with Hyunseung at all anymore – well, not in a romantic way anyway. She once loved that forbidden life she lived with him – it was exhilarating and utterly fun but Hyuna didn’t felt desire for such life. She was seeking something mature, something serious and durable.

Hyuna was done with fighting all the time because of his job, she was done with partying alone till late and come home the next morning just to chase away the girls he had been with him the night before. She was done with living in a trailer or in his car.

She was 15 when she first fled home and met Hyunseung who offered her a way out which Hyuna took gladly. He was the most mysterious grey-bluish haired guy she had ever met – the only one actually – and everything about him screamed danger but the young Hyuna wanted that; she was seeking danger for quite some time and then that it presented itself to her she wouldn’t let it go.

For a year and a half Hyuna lived like a runaway – first from her parents and secondly from his boss who Hyunseung double-crossed.

                Craziness and recklessness were the only two things they knew during that year and a half apart from love, of course.

That was one thing no one could ever try to deny – they did love each other. In the most immature and senseless way it is possible but they did.

                When it was time to go back to reality they came back together like everything they always did since they met.

Funny how things changed, Hyuna thought looking at her wedding ring. I always thought I would go through everything else with you but look at me now – I’m married and not to you…

She spared another glance at Joon and smiled sorrowfully. I’m in love but not with you…

                Her phone vibrated in her pocket scaring the hell out of Hyuna. After a little jump she took it out seeing who was calling – it was Hyunseung, for the umpteenth time the past two days. Hyuna hadn’t picked any of his calls and she didn’t this time either.

As she kept her cell on her pocket again she cleaned the lonely tear she hadn’t even noticed there.

                “Let’s not think about it again… Nothing can be done anymore.”

                “What can’t be done?”  Joon whispered back scaring her.

                “Oh, damn! You scared me!” Hyun rested a hand over her heart for a moment letting it calm down. “Couldn’t you have made your presence known?!”

Joon smiled a bit sitting straight in bed still looking at Hyuna with questioning eyes.

                “Are you going to tell me what were you thinking about?”

                “Why do I have to? I don’t!” Joon was going to insist but her phone rang again. Hyuna let an enormous quantity of air out of her cheeks and picked the call almost yelling to the person on the other side. “Ya, are you crazy or you didn’t get the message? If I didn’t pick up the first thousand times you called it’s because I don’t want to talk to you!” She went quite for a few seconds before her eyes went extra-large and she bowed repeatedly as if she was before some mighty, respectful figure. “I’m very sorry, I’m very sorry Halmeoni; I thought I was talking to someone else. I’m deeply sorry.”

 

 

                Later that day as promised Joon’s grandmother went to pay them a visit.  She was very concerned with her grandson’s health and made her way to the other end of the city. Once she was there what surprised her the most wasn’t the fact that her grandson was pretending to be sick but actually something much more trivial…

                “Hyuna, what’s the meaning of this? I thought I had told you clearly – this bed is for both of you, this room is for both of you! Now tell me why is my grandson sleeping in a different room? Don’t tell me – you haven’t even been sleeping in the same bed?”

                “Halmeoni…” Hyuna tried but the old woman didn’t let her finish.

                “Don’t you know I’m old? I want to have little kids running around the house, Hyuna-ya…” The grandmother fell backwards resting her behind on the bed sighing heavily. She seemed really tired.

                “Halmeoni…”

                “Why do you do this to me? You want me to die from heartbreak? Huh?” She held Hyuna’s hands tightly and pulled her foreword.

                “Halmeoni, I promise we’ll be sleeping in the same bed from now on, huh? Don’t be this upset Halmeoni, it isn’t good for you…”

                “Ani, not just sleep in the same bed; sleeping together, that’s what is important my child.” Hyuna felt her face red as hell and since she didn’t manage to articulate any words she just shook her head yes. “That’s my girl.” The old woman said caressing Hyuna’s hands. “Now, could you comply to another request from this old woman?”

 

 

                “I can’t believe you said yes to that crazy woman’s request.” For that comment Joon gained another blow on the back of his head for the third time that day. “Ya…!”

                “Don’t talk about you grandmother like that! She is a very sweet woman, I just couldn’t say no to her… What if she dies from heartbreak?”

                “My grandmother? Are you crazy? She is healthier than you and me together!” Joon looked outside crossing his arms feeling deeply disturbed by his grandmother’s request to have them over to spend the day and night.

Joon was afraid he couldn’t control the thoughts and urges he had been feeling for the past week – even when Hyuna wasn’t with him he would daydream about kissing her, hugging her; doing a lot of lovey-dovey stuff he never imagined himself imagining. Whenever Joon was with Nana he would only act upon his thoughts at the moment but he would never imagine an entire life with her full with contact, connection at all levels. God, he even imagined how cute their children would be!

                “That woman is healthier than a worse…” He whispered softly still looking outside. All his thoughts ran around in his head trying to arrange ways to not to sleep in the same bedroom as Hyuna for that night.

He was certain that just the mere fact of having her in less than 4 meters from him for an entire night would be a problem for him.

                “I’m so screwed…” He growled yet softly, hitting his head softly against the window. To this Hyuna felt her heart cringe and break just a little more. Since it’s just one more scratch what does it matter? Kim Hyuna, you knew he would never look at you, just dismiss it!

 

 

                Only when they reached the doorstep and Hyuna pressed the doorbell Joon remembered of his father and how their relation was a mess. Since the wedding they didn’t exchange any sort of contact and for the time being Joon was fine with it but being there right now – in front of the door he knew his whole life – knowing his father was just behind it made him go crazy.

He ruffled his hair just before the door open revealing the tiny, older woman. Head-maid Choi worked in that house since she was twenty years old. Her mother was the previous head-maid of the Lee’s household but she died at the age of ninety never asking for more than her days off.

From all the children she had – a total of four –

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter