Sorry, But That Was Me

Sorry, Wrong Person

The days were slowly inching to October as the leaves changed colours ever so slightly, never making a noticeable enough change until you realized that oh, when were those leaves orange?

For Baekhyun, each day that passed seemed to get worse and worse, with homework, his friends, and Chanyeol.

'Baekgyu?

Baekgyu.

Baekgyu!'

It was really the only thing Baekhyun heard day in and day out, and he didn't know how much he could hate a name until he was given the name Baekgyu.

It had seemed like ten years since he'd last been called Baekhyun, when in reality, it had only been a little bit more than a month. Plus, he had Baekgyu calling him up once in a while (but hearing his twin call his name wasn't actually satisfying at all).

He was sitting at his desk that he had recently moved to the other side of the room—because Chanyeol kept bothering him when he was studying. For some unknown reason, he was annoyed that he had to sit and study, and then he remembered that everyone didn't like sitting and studying because it was so boring.

Baekhyun looked out of his window and sighed when he noticed droplets of rain touching the glass with little taps, and the ongoing pit, pat, pit, pat was going to make him lose his mind.

He had never liked rain because it was cold, it caused the skies to become dark, and innocent passerbys became soaked when they least expected it.

One of the main reasons he hated rain was because it was raining on his first date ever, and he had worn some pretty neat clothes. He was—of course—equipped with an umbrella, but while walking on the sidewalk, some stupid car decided to drive right into the puddle and Baekhyun was ultimately drenched from head to toe in muddy water.

The date was called off, and he never really got a date ever again after that, so Baekhyun believed that rain was his unlucky charm.

On rainy days like these, he'd be happy to be inside instead of being outside, but everything was quiet other than the rain—and it drove him insane. He wanted to turn on some music, but he couldn't study or do homework with music on. Usually, he found it the most comforting when he heard someone talking—sometimes not to him, but just... Talking.

The door to their place opened with a small creak, and Baekhyun actually felt excitement grow in him when he realized that Chanyeol was home.

He stood up and peeked out of their bedroom door, seeing a familiar shade of red.

He walked up to Chanyeol and tapped him on the shoulder, causing him to jump in fright.

Baekhyun laughed to himself as Chanyeol turned around with a pout on his face. "I didn't know you were home," Chanyeol mentioned and Baekhyun noticed the two paper cups in Chanyeol's hands.

"Hot chocolate?" Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol nodded. Baekhyun grinned happily and took the one Chanyeol offered to him. "Wait, if you didn't know I was home then why get two?"

"I was going to go pick you up after getting an umbrella," Chanyeol smiled while motioning to his almost-soaking-but-not-really appearance.

"Oh... You didn't have to..." Baekhyun trailed off, his mind trying to tell him that Chanyeol was sweet, but his conscience refusing to agree. "Gosh, what am I supposed to do with you? Go take a shower! You might get a cold," Baekhyun pointed out and Chanyeol laughed, peeling off his jacket and throwing it on the couch.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and sipped on his drink, picking up the jacket and hanging it up properly before following Chanyeol back into their room to sit down at his desk.

With hot chocolate by his side, he felt happier and found it easier to continue studying.

After around a month with Chanyeol, Baekhyun had slightly warmed up to the giant, not as awkward with his answers and he had—unconsciously—been acting more as himself than as Baekgyu.

Of course, there were also those times where he remembered and had to think like Baekgyu, answer like Baekgyu, act like Baekgyu, walk like Baekgyu—even breathe like Baekgyu.

He suddenly registered how cold it was in the room and he frowned, wiggling his toes around because they had almost felt frozen. Was it the room temperature that had dropped or was he just feeling cold because of his bitter emotions towards his twin?

He grabbed his blanket, conscious of the hot chocolate as he wrapped it around himself and sat back down, reading page after page on some nonsense of health. It was an attempt to empty his mind. He could dislike Baekgyu, but he was still family and Baekhyun wasn't ever going to actually hate him.

Chanyeol finished minutes later and he went over to Baekhyun, bending down and reading the papers over his shoulder. He smelled like his shampoo and damp towels. Mixed with aroma of fresh hot chocolate, it might have actually been nice if the air wasn't also swimming with the fishy smell of rain.

Baekhyun scrunched up his nose when he felt drops of water fall from Chanyeol's hair onto him and he reached out of his blanket to push Chanyeol's face back, not turning to give him a look.

He could practically feel Chanyeol's puppy eyes, but he ignored them and tried to soak in the information.

"Baek," Chanyeol whined. "Baekgyu," he tried again and Baekhyun visibly grimaced.

BaekHYUN.

It's Baekhyun, you fool!

"What?" Baekhyun sighed.

"Come lay with me?" Chanyeol offered and Baekhyun considered the thought.

"I have to—"

"Please?" Chanyeol begged again and Baekhyun smiled to himself before he stood up, turning and looking at Chanyeol with fake anger.

"Only for a bit."

He waddled over to Chanyeol and fell onto the bed, only to be pulled up and closer towards Chanyeol. He was still wrapped in his blanket, but Chanyeol's heat still seeped through, warming Baekhyun down to his frozen toes.

"We haven't done this in a while," Chanyeol mentioned as he brushed some of Baekhyun's dark hair out of his face.

Baekhyun buried his face in Chanyeol's chest to hide his blush and he closed his eyes.

He listened to Chanyeol's steady heartbeat and took in the smell of his familiar soap. With their proximity, the smell of rain was washed out and it relaxed Baekhyun's senses.

"Baekgyu," Chanyeol called after a bit. "Baek, don't fall asleep on me."

"I like it," Baekhyun spoke up, not looking at Chanyeol but opening his eyes, staring at the fabric of Chanyeol's shirt. "I like it when you call me Baek," Baekhyun stated and he bit his lip, his eyes showing hurt that Chanyeol would never see.

Makes me feel a little more like myself.

"Really?" Chanyeol asked as his hand went up to the back of Baekhyun's head, patting down his hair in a soothing matter. "I used to call you that a lot before, but you said you didn't like it... If you like it that much now, I guess I'll be calling you Baek a lot more."

Baekhyun nodded and he took in a steady breath to calm himself.

He didn't know how Chanyeol noticed, but the giant shifted so that he could see Baekhyun and look into his eyes—which Baekhyun stealthily denied by closing his eyes before he noticed.

"Are you alright?" Chanyeol asked and Baekhyun didn't reply, only moving closer to Chanyeol again so that he didn't have to answer the question.

Chanyeol sighed at Baekhyun's reluctance to answer and he just draped an arm over Baekhyun, pulling him closer. "Are you okay?" Chanyeol questioned once again, not giving up until he heard the other say something.

"Yeah... I'm fine."

"I know you're lying... But, I'll just let it go. You can tell me later," Chanyeol offered and Baekhyun just nodded again.

"Can you talk?" Baekhyun asked and Chanyeol was silent, probably meaning that he didn't understand. "Just... Talk, tell me a story, fiction or real, one that I've already heard of, it doesn't matter."

"Alright... I'll tell you a short story, okay? We can't have you falling asleep and forgetting to study," Chanyeol pointed out.

Seconds after, he began telling his story.

"Once upon a time, there were two people who went to different high schools in the same neighbourhood. They hated each other because they always versed in soccer, basketball, and volleyball, and one of them would always end up winning and laughing in the other's face." Baekhyun sighed inaudibly when he realized that this was the story of Chanyeol and Baekgyu. He appreciated what Chanyeol was doing, and he found their story sweet but with the situation he was in, it kind of... Hurt. "This continued for a long time until their freshman year ended, and by some weird coincidence, they always met each other during summer at the weirdest times." Suddenly, Baekhyun remembered bright green leaves and big yellow sunflowers, surrounding him everywhere he went. He was met with the sight of a field that stretched on forever and a day he had wished was just as eternal.

Baekhyun's eyes opened and he wondered why that vision came to him at that moment, until Chanyeol continued.

"There was one moment in that summer that I remember the most, and that was when the boy and the other boy met at a sunflower field."

No...

"I called his nickname, and he turned around with the most beautiful smile on his face—and that was when I knew, that I loved him."

Baekhyun felt panic flood through him, and he resisted the urge to bolt out of Chanyeol's hold and run away.

"That..." Baekhyun spoke up, his voice a little choked. That was me...

Baekhyun never finished his sentence and he shook his head, telling Chanyeol to continue as his fingers found refuge in Chanyeol's shirt, gripping onto the material as if it would help him keep his emotions in. Baekhyun simply couldn't say anything, not with the way things were now.

It was only one moment in time. One small moment that I had forgotten up till now. It doesn't matter.

"He was always a little clumsy, and during our second year, whenever he went to put out the recycling, I'd watch him. It seemed a little creepy that at lunch I'd always visit his school just to see a glimpse of him, and usually he was struggling with carrying the boxes that were so easy to carry."

His grip tightened on Chanyeol's shirt and he closed his eyes, almost in reluctance to believe what was the truth. That... Was me too. I always had recycling duty.

"One day, I went up to him at lunch, and I confessed to him and asked him to be my boyfriend. Do you know what he did?" Chanyeol asked.

I said no, because we weren't allowed to date.

"He said no," Chanyeol said with a bright tone and Baekhyun felt a pressure on his chest that he couldn't explain. "and he said sorry multiple times for some weird reason I still don't understand."

It felt like a knife was stabbed into his heart and was twisted sideways—just to make him hurt more.

I can't... I can't believe that he had actually confessed to me first.

"So, the next time I saw him at a soccer game, I confessed again, and to my surprise and delight, he accepted happily as if he didn't reject me before."

Because he didn't, Baekhyun explained in his head. Because that was me recycling; the wrong person.

"And that is how we got here, after separating after two years," Chanyeol finished. "Now, we've known each other for four years, and have dated for two."

Baekhyun didn't say anything as he dug through his memories, remembering someone tall who had black hair, constantly thinking he was Baekgyu.

It happened multiple times, Baekhyun remembered. Of course, it wasn't all me, but now that I remember, I wonder why I never even got his name.

He thought back to the bookstore, his heart warming at the memory of tall shelves and the smell of paper.

"Baekgyu?" Someone called and Baekhyun looked around for a second, wondering why someone was calling his twin's name when he wasn't even in the store.

It clicked in Baekhyun's head and he turned to whoever was talking. "Baekgyu, how's it going?" He asked and Baekhyun shrugged, holding the book in his hands close to his chest. "What are you reading?"

"It's called Something Fake, but this is book two," Baekhyun showed him the book and instant recognition swept by his features.

"You've read this?! I love this series!" The boy exclaimed and Baekhyun immediately felt excited.

"Who's your favourite character? Mine's—"

"Emilia!" They both said at the same time and they began talking about the series animatedly, as if they were still 9 years old. Baekhyun didn't tell him his name or correct him, because he believed that acting like Baekgyu was a little fun when he had so many friends.

He had actually enjoyed pretending to be Baekgyu at the time, unlike his time now. If he could spend time with Chanyeol as himself, maybe he could enjoy himself as much as he did when they met at the vending machine at the corner of the street.

"Where's my change?" Baekhyun asked as he slightly tapped the machine, fiddling around with the buttons for a second.

Suddenly, a hand slammed the machine and his change came clinking down, landing in the little slot.

"O—Oh, thanks," Baekhyun spoke shyly as he took his change and when he turned to say thanks again, he realized it was the boy he met at the bookstore. "Oh! It's you!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's me," he rolled his eyes. "What are you doing here?" He asked.

"Um... Walking?" Baekhyun stated and the guy raised his eyebrow.

"Well, I guess we can do that together. Which way were you going?" He questioned and Baekhyun pointed down the street.

"My house is somewhere over there," he mentioned as they began walking down.

They talked about small things like what they were doing over the summer, and once they arrived at Baekhyun's house and he had entered, he realized that he never caught the other's name.

Maybe if he had caught his name back then, things would be different and yet their third encounter also went without an introduction.

Baekhyun heard the sound of music and he looked at the house questioningly before he went on his way again, planning to finish his homework.

"Hey!" He heard a familiar voice and turned to see his black haired friend. "Were you going to this party too?" He asked and Baekhyun shook his head.

"I have homework to do," Baekhyun explained.

"Oh, You don't really seem like the homework type," he stated and Baekhyun nodded.

"Speaking about homework..." Baekhyun pulled some papers out of his bag and he showed the other. "Do you know how to solve this?"

The taller had pulled him inside of the house for the party, and they had sat down in an empty room, answering questions while everyone else was dancing to music.

That night seemed so far away to Baekhyun, and he remembered admiring Chanyeol for helping him with his boring homework when he was supposed to be having fun with his friends. When he thought about those times now, Chanyeol was actually a lot more precious to him than he had originally thought.

He remembered the last time he met Chanyeol as himself in that beautiful summer, in a glowing sunflower field that now seemed ethereal. Baekhyun could still feel the warmth of the sun that day, now coming from Chanyeol's embrace.

The day was hot and the sun was bright in the sky, lighting up any corners in the city with its warm glow. It was a perfect day to go outside and so Baekhyun did, heading with his parents to a farm.

"So pretty," Baekhyun breathed in awe, looking at the vibrant yellow.

He left his parent's side and was half disappointed that Baekgyu didn't come because he was busy with friends.

He walked down a path and looked at the flowers that were almost taller than him, squirming at the sight of bugs but brushing it off and focusing on the plant instead.

He saw a butterfly—the only bug he was okay with—and he leaned closer to it, inspecting it's pretty blue, black and white wings. He lifted up his finger and slowly guided the insect onto it.

He smiled in amazement when it opened its wings and Baekhyun saw the full sight of it spread out. For some reason, he felt incredibly happy that the butterfly was showing him everything about it.

"Baek!" He heard and Baekhyun turned around with a smile on his face for entirely different reasons, recognizing that voice.

The butterfly on his finger flew away but Baekhyun didn't really care as he began making his way over to the other who was also going to him.

"What are you doing here?" Baekhyun questioned, causing the giant to grin.

"I could say the same."

Baekhyun couldn't believe it.

The person who he thought had moved towns was right here by his side, telling him stories and saying that he loved him.

He felt sudden tears spring to his eyes and he took in a breath sharply, surprised by his own reaction.

Why do I feel like crying? Baekhyun asked himself as he tried to wipe his eyes secretly with the back of his hands.

Baekhyun suddenly felt all too suffocated in Chanyeol's arms, and so, making sure to keep his gaze lowered, he sat up and turned away, mumbling something about needing to go before standing up.

He left the bedroom without casting a look back at Chanyeol and when the door closed behind him, he walked out of the dorm with quick footsteps.

He made it to the first floor in a frenzy, wiping away the drops from his eyes that he still had no clue as to why they existed.

He stepped out of the building doors only to stop short when he felt the cold breeze and the feeling of rain.

Right, it was raining...

He looked up and into the sky, watching how each raindrop fell spontaneously out of the dark clouds. He wished he could count each one of them, but there were just too many; just as how there were too many problems in his already ruined life.

He felt the water kiss his face and his clothes so he closed his eyes, taking a deep breath and thinking:

...I wonder what would've happened if I told him my name earlier.


 
Andddd, that's chapter 7! :)
How did you enjoy it?
I'm so sorry that I haven't updated in a long time... Whoops :/ hey, do you think it would be okay if I changed to cover for this fic?
Bruh, Chanbaek at the airport was so cute :3