Chapter 22

One last time. Jikook.

“Baekhyun?” Chanyeol peeked in Baekhyun’s office where he was literally piled in paperwork.

“Ch…Ch, Ch, Chanyeol?!” He flustered and pulled up his mask. Chanyeol sighed and sat next to him.

“Why the actual hell are you working as a doctor?” Baekhyun looked the other way and sighed.

“You know how much I want to help others…” Chanyeol took Baekhyun’s chin and held him close so they were looking at each other.

“That can’t be the reason.” Baekhyun’s expression suddenly change.

“How did you…” Chanyeol chuckled and flipped through Baekhyun’s paperwork.

“How wouldn’t I know about you and Park Jimin’s dad?” Baekhyun looked out at the cloudy sky.

“Where do I begin?” Chanyeol rested his face on his desk and yawned.

“Was it 14 years ago?” Baekhyun took a sip of his coffee and grinned.

 

‘Mr. Park~’ Baekhyun grinned as he took his hand.

‘Oh, isn’t this Baekhyun?’ He giggled and ruffled the little boy’s hair.

‘Where’s Jimin?’ He asked as the man sighed.

‘Still at his dance class…’ Baekhyun frowned and sat next to the man.

‘Say, Baekhyun…do you have any idea of what you want to be when you grow up?’ Baekhyun tilted his head and chuckled.

‘I’m only 10!’ The man laughed.

‘Do you have anything you want to do then?’ Baekhyun thought for a while.

‘A doctor! Like you! I want to help more people like Jimin.’ The man’s smile faded a little and sighed. Baekhyun realized what he said and covered his mouth.

‘No, it’s fine…’

‘Sorry, Mr. Park.’ The man sighed and looked up at the orange autumn leaves.

‘It’s all because he was diagnosed with cancer…’ Baekhyun looked at the ground.

‘Does it mean that Jimin is going to…’ The man shook his head.

‘Not until he’s 21 or so…’ Baekhyun let out his breath.

‘Baekhyun…I want you to promise me something.’ Baekhyun looked up at the man with curious eyes.

‘Promise me you’ll take good care of Jimin.’ Baekhyun giggled.

‘Or course!’

But little does Baekhyun know about how the man suddenly disappeared, how desperate Jimin was and foremost how less Baekhyun known about all that.

 

“I’m sure Jimin forgot about me…” Baekhyun opened up his laptop and sighed.

“I’d never guess we both end up in the entertainment industry.” Chanyeol yawned again and ruffled Baekhyun’s hair.

“Let’s leave, come one…”

“A…and now he’s going to…die?” Chanyeol stopped and starred at Baekhyun with widened eyes.

“What?”

“He’s diagnosed with cancer, it has mutated and we can’t do anything about it…but I want to save him." Baekhyun starred at his screen.

"I need keep my promise.”

 

“Do you know anything about Byun Baekhyun?” Jungkook asked out of the blue. It was the morning of another long and dreadful weekend. Jimin looked up from his phone and smiled.

“Never heard of him.” Jungkook chuckled.

“Liar.” Jimin sighed and puffed out his cheeks.

“How could you tell?” Jungkook laughed again and threw a towel at Jimin.

“You’re too gullible, wash up, let’s go somewhere.” Jimin’s face lit up.

“Where, where, where?” Jungkook glanced at his phone and grinned, more like a smirk.

“You’ll see.”

 

“Why are we here?” Chanyeol sighed and leaned back against the bench.

“Stop wiggling around, be serious, they’re almost here.” Baekhyun straightened his back and looked around.

“Mr. Byun?” The two looked up at the boy, even though he was small, he looked tough and mature.

“Ah, you must be Jeon Jungkook, we’ve met.” Jungkook bowed slightly, Chanyeol stretched out his hand and Jungkook took it politely.

“Greetings, you know me.” Jungkook smiled.

“Yes, Park Chanyeol, rapper and composer of EXO.” Chanyeol giggled and whistled.

“Looks like we have a EXO-L here.” Jungkook laughed and looked behind him.

“Jimin, say hi to your doctor.” Jungkook nudged Jimin, he yawned and waved.

“Hi doctor, long time no see.” Jimin greeted Baekhyun.

“Yes, long time no see.”

“Ah?” Jimin looked up at the more than familiar face.

“Baek…?” He whispered as he felt hot tear pilling up in his eyes.

“Hi.” Jimin walked up to his best friend and hugged him.

“It’s Baek!” Baekhyun giggled as tears fell down his cheeks.

“It’s me…it’s me…” Jungkook and Chanyeol both starred the the two awkwardly.

“They knew each other?” Jungkook asked, Chanyeol shrugged.

“I thought I saw you on tv and everything…you’re in SM now?!” Baekhyun laughed and ruffled Jimin’s hair.

“And you’re in ibighit now…congrats.” Jimin’s smiled dimmed as he glanced at his air tank.

“You know what’s up…” Baekhyun sighed.

“I just wanted to say hi, you know, after 10 years...” Jimin grinned.

“It’s already been that long since dad…” Jimin stopped in midsentence.

“Yeah…”

“Jimin…I need to tell you something… and something to your friend there as well.” Jimin looked at them both curiously.

“You need to come back to the hospital tomorrow.” Jungkook froze.

“Wait…”

“He needs his treatment, Jungkook, please bring anything you please, either your friends, or maybe your laptop, we’ll have space in our room.”

“Baekhyun…” Chanyeol whispered. Baekhyun took Jungkook’s hand as his shoulders shivered.

“Thank you…for taking care of Jimin…but it’s time for him to go.” Jungkook shook his head as he bewildered eyes tried to focus on Jimin’s pale face.

“No…no…I didn’t take good care of him…” Baekhyun stopped and looked up his Jungkook, puzzled.

“I was the one who diagnosed him with…with…”

“Jungkookie, stop…” Jimin pulled Jungkook away from Baekhyun to shut him up.

“Come on Baek.” Chanyeol said with his soothing, deep voice.

“I’m soo sorry Jimin…” Baekhyun said before heading off with Chanyeol.

“I couldn’t protect you…”

 

“I thought we were going to go somewhere fun…” Jimin argued as they head home from the park.

“Wasn’t it fun seeing your friend?” Jimin didn't answer that question...they took their time walking back to their dorm. 

“I’m finally leaving huh?” Jimin smiled as he skipped on the spot.

“Just like you wanted, I guess this is the only time I can make you happy.” Jungkook bit his bottom lip.

“Cause no matter how hard I try, Jungkook, you’ll always hate me.” Jimin opened the door to their dorms.

“Not even a little of thought was ever put into my existence when it comes to you, not even a little…” He lifted his tank and started to head upstairs.

“So I’m just going to give up…cause one night isn’t going to change anything, can it?” Jimin shook his head and sighed.

“No…probably not." Jimin sighed and he wiped his eyes dry.

"Not even 3 years is enough to change it.”