Maria-san's special Keyboard

Kawaii Kimi no Koto da Mono!

 

Shoujo JUMP! PROJECT

Kawaii Kimi no Koto da Mono!

©Kuroneko

Disclaimer: we do not own Johnny & Associates and Hey!Say! JUMP. All events are entirely fictional.

Chapter 6: Maria-san’s special keyboard

 

It was already 2:00pm. Miki was headed to the music room to attend her piano sessions. She spotted Maria.

 

“Maria-san! Good afternoon. Are you also going to take piano sessions?” Miki asked. Maria nodded, and placed her keyboard on the table.

 

“Kei-senpai isn’t here yet. Senior’s classes end at 2:30pm.. “ Maria told her.

The two felt awkward with each other since they were both shy and quiet.

 

“U-um.. Maria-san.. we could probably look for Kei-senpai.. It’s 2:30 anyway..” Miki requested. Maria looked at her and nodded.

 

 

“How long have you been learning the piano? Your ronda alla turca was great!” Miki praised her.

 

“Oh. I was playing the piano since I was a child.. I wanted to continue learning more about playing it, so I sought help from Kei-senpai..” Maria smiled.

 

Miki wondered.

“How did you and Kei-senpai meet, anyway?” she asked.

 

“Oh.. We already knew each other long ago.. When I was in first grade, I would always see him at our house, playing the piano for grandma..”

Maria closed her eyes.

 

 

“He would always play beautifully.. Kei-senpai was always gentle... And when I entered high school, He saw me in the music room, playing Mozart’s oboe concerto. “

 

 

Miki stared at her, a bit confused. Maria was blushing a bit, and looked happy.

 

“.. Then he taught me how to do the piece correctly. He lead my hand to the keys and.. That’s how I learned more about the piano..” Maria continued. They went upstairs in one of the senior year’s classrooms. Three girls took notice of them.

 

“Ah! Maria-kouhai! What brings you here?” one of the older girls smiled at her.

 

Maria and Miki bowed at their senior.

 

“Momoko-senpai.. Is Kei-senpai around?” Maria politely asked.

 

 

“Ah! Kei-kun? He’s with Miyabi-chan for a little while. Are you here for piano sessions? I’ll just tell him when he gets back.” Momoko-senpai offered. Maria thanked her. The two left the classroom.

 

The two walked around the hallways and suddenly crossed paths with Kei and Miyabi.

 

 

“K-Kei-senpai..” Maria stuttered when she saw Kei. Kei looked at her and suddenly remembered his Piano sessions with the two.

 

“Oh.. Sorry about that, Fujiwara-san. I got carried away.. I’m afraid I have to go now, Natsuyaki-san..” Kei apologized to Miyabi and went with Miki and Maria. Miki swore she saw Miyabi glare at Maria.

 

~~~~~~

“Alright, you two. Since we have a new student, we’re going to start from the beginning.. Ravel’s Bolero.”. Kei instructed. He the stereo and made the two listen to the music before playing it.

 

Miki tried the first three notes. She could do it by the right hand only. The blonde nervously followed the pace of the music. Little by little, she successfully did the first ten notes by her right hand and ear.

 

Maria smiled, and played the notes without another word.

~~~~

Meanwhile, In class 1E..

 

“Okamoto-kun!”. A female classmate of Keito and Ryutaro approached them excitedly.

 

 

“Ah.. Nishiuchi-san..”. Keito turned to her.

 

“I really, really need some inside scoops. Is that blonde girl from class 1C really dating Chinen-kun?”. Mariya Nishiuchi asked.

 

 

Keito grasped his fists, while Ryutaro interrupted.

 

“Umm.. N-n--” Ryutaro hardly finished his sentence when Keito spoke in a serious voice.

 

“Nishiuchi-san.. Why does it concern you? I do think it’s better to stop spreading rumours about them.. “

 

Mariya looked at him with disgust.

 

“Why’ve you gotta spoil the fun, Okamoto?! It’ll give some entertainment in the school’s paper anyway.”. She demanded.

 

“Kusakabe-san belongs to our clique. And speaking of Chinen-kun, he has the right to have his privacy. Don’t you even consider that? Or are you too busy ruining someone’s reputation?”. Keito gently asked her.

 

“What? I’m as popular as you guys, anyway. Who cares about privacy when you practically have them looming all over you! Man, you ..” Mariya spat at him and went on her way.

 

“Keito-san..” Ryutaro looked at him. Keito looked at Mariya angrily, disturbed. Yuri came running about towards them.

 

“Ne, Taro.. Have you seen Miki-chan?” He asked Ryutaro.

 

“Ah. I saw her with another freshman from 1C. The one who was always with Kei-senpai.” Ryutaro replied.

 

Yuri thanked them and left the two.

~~~~

Piano sessions have just ended and Maria suddenly approached Miki.

 

“Kusakabe-san, here. You can borrow some of my notes I copied from Kei-senpai weeks ago. You’ll need it when the time comes..” Maria smiled. Miki smiled back.

 

“Thank you, Fujiwara-san!”. She thanked her and the two parted ways. Miki went out of the music room and was surprised to see Yuri, Yuto and Himeko waiting for her.

 

“Hey, Miki-chan! Let’s walk home, alright?” Himeko winked. Miki paused.

 

“S-sure..” She smiled. Miki saw Maria and Kei walk together to the same directions as they changed placed their school sandals in their lockers. Kei helped Maria with her electric keyboard. Himeko noticed this.

 

“Oh. Inoo-senpai’s walking with Fujiwara-san again. They’re really acting nice with each other, a bit sweet..”. Himeko whispered. Miki turned to her.

 

“Are they dating? “. She asked bluntly. Himeko quickly shook her head.

 

 

“Eh? I don’t think so! Inoo-senpai is too serious for a relationship. And besides, Fujiwara-san is rumoured to be engaged. Tsk. But she still gets teased since she’s close to Inoo-senpai..” Himeko told her. The two males looked at them.

 

“Hey, gossip queen. How ‘bout you and Kusakabe-san hurry up? I’ve gotta get home!”. Yuto requested absentmindedly.

~~~~

Maria and Kei walked together back to Shibuyakuni. Kei was helping Maria with her electric keyboard. They passed by nearby stations and spotted Miyabi and her friends Momoko and Airi. The three of them noticed Kei and Maria, and Maria hastily grabbed her keyboard from Kei.

 

 

 

“Kei-senpai.. I-its fine.. I can walk home by myself!”. Maria stammered nervously.

 

 

“Oh, It’s alright, Fujiwara-san. I’m going to visit your grandmother. I’ll ask her how she’s doing these days.” Kei shook his head. Maria bowed her head and quickly walked into the village sidewalk.

 

“..Ever since Kana-san died, You stopped calling me Maria...”. The girl muttered quietly. Kei didn’t answer and continued to walk. They reached her house just before dusk.

 

~~~~~

Kei was warmly welcomed in the Fujiwara Mansion. Maria’s mother led him to Maria’s grandmother. Maria was left with her fiancé in the living room with her father.

 

“Well, look who’s come back.. If it isn’t Inoo-san.. “ Maria’s grandmother welcomed him with open arms.

 

“Hello, Grandmother... It’s been a long time, hasn’t it?” Kei greeted her.

 

“Ah.. It’s been for three years, hasn’t it? Maria’s finally engaged to her father’s business partner’s son.. Oh, and his sister just died last year, have you heard?”. Maria’s grandmother asked, and prepared tea.

 

 

“I see.. Oh, yes. I’ve heard about Kana-san’s death.. I’m sorry..” Kei gave his condolence.

 

“.. Son.. I’m withering away soon. And I’m very grateful for you being able to visit me one last time. I would like to tell you something....”

 

Kei nodded. He leaned closer.

 

 

“It’s about Maria. Ever since she’s been engaged to Kana’s brother, she’s been.. Locking herself in her room.. It doesn’t trouble her parents, but it greatly troubles me.. I would like you to take care of her after I die.. “. She requested Kei, tears falling from her eyes. Kei lovingly took her withered hand.

 

“I will, grandmother.. I will..”  Kei promised. Maria’s grandmother looked at him.

 

“Very well, My boy.. Would you mind if you play Beethoven’s moonlight sonata one last time?”

 

Kei nodded and smiled, walking to the grandmother’s grand piano.

 

 

“Ah.. I’ve missed such music. Maria would always try and play whatever she learned from you.. She always tells me that piano is special, since you played it..” She sighed.

 

After 7:00pm, Kei bade goodbye to Maria’s family and left.

~~~

The next morning, Himeko and Yuto arrived early in class and was surprised to see Maria inside the classroom playing her keyboard alone. Maria was also surprised and embarrassed, she quickly tried to disassemble the stand.

 

“N-no, Maria-san! It’s alright. We’d love to hear you play!” Himeko stopped her. Maria looked at her curiously.

 

“...Inubashari-san..” Maria muttered. Yuto gave her a small slap on the back.

 

“Hey. Even if Himeko’s badass, doesn’t mean she would beat you up for no reason! C’mon. Show us those piano skills of yours! Kusakabe-san says they’re awesome!” Yuto reassured her.

 

Maria could only smile and blush to their comments and compliments. She nodded.

 

“..This keyboard is very special for me.. Because.. “ Maria muttered. Yuto and Himeko blinked.

 

 

“B-because, Kei-senpai used it to teach me.. To love..”

 

The two blinked at each other, and suddenly whispered loudly.

 

“F-fujiwara-san.. You.. You like Inoo-senpai?!”.

 

Maria didn’t answer. Instead, she played the piano arrange of Mozart’s oboe concerto.

~to be continued