Chapter 8 - Want to Know More

Prescription For Love

“Are we really going to do a surgery to Doctor Im?” Jungshin whispered to Yoo Ae Ra when they’re getting ready in Operating Room. While from the second floor, the Observe Room, already filled by the other doctors and Yoona’s mother. “In front of almost all of senior doctors in Hanhwa??? What if I made a mistake during surgery???”

“Then you’ll be fired as a doctor.”

Jungshin and Ae Ra almost gasped when it was Jonghyun who answered him. Without they realized, Jonghyun is already behind Jungshin, wearing his surgical gown. “Don’t be nervous. You’re a professional doctor, aren’t you?”

“H—how if Director fired me if I made a mistake, Chief?”

“You won’t make any mistake, Jungshin. No one of my residents will make a mistake, am I right?” Jonghyun stared firmly at them. “Are you ready to be in game?”

Jungshin and Ae Raa glanced at each other, knowing that their chief is giving them a courage. They nodded in unison. “Yes, Chief. We’re ready.”

 

 

 

“How could he dare to perform a surgery to Pediatrician Im when Director is not here?”

Yuri glanced at the guy who just talked and found that it’s Yoo Jung In, one of general surgeon, spoke up. She almost rolled her eyes since she knew the words is full of jealousy. “Excuse me, but Doctor Lee got the permission directly from Director. I think you already know about it, Doctor Yoo.”

Yoo Jung In looks a bit surprised when Yuri responded him. “Yes, Doctor Kwon. But how could he did it by himself? There are so many our senior doctors here and he just started the surgery without asking some advices first.”

“Oh c’mon.” this one, Jung Hae Ra, one of a professor and also the Chief of Surgical Department, spoke up. “Can you just watch the operation quietly, Doctor Yoo?” she gave him a warning look. “You should be thankful that there are a genius surgeon like Doctor Lee who can do his job without worrying for their career. And for your information, He DID ask my permission before he started the operation. So, if you couldn’t be like him, then stop talking bad about him.” She said with a firm voice. “And please respect Mrs. Im here. Where’s your good attitude, can you show the good example for your residents? We apologize for the inconvenient, Mrs. Im.”

“Gwaencahana, Professor Jung.” Im Young Ah smiled to her and Yuri. “I just want to make the things clear that down there, Doctor Lee and the others were helping my daughter. So please respect them.”

“I apologize, Mrs. Im, Chief Jung.” Doctor Yoo muttered, looks so embarrassed.

 

 

 

“Bring her back to the room. I’ll make a visit in thirty minutes. Good job everyone. Thank you.”

Jonghyun’s voice was heard over the Observe Room as he cut the surgical knot and put it down. He raised his sight to the observe room from the upper floor and nodded to Yoona’s mother when she mouthed a thank you.

The operation has done successfully. Well, since it’s only a minor operation, his team has done it very well. Although he knew that it must be very burdened for his team since they look like putting their residency career on Yoona’s surgery, but they managed to help him professionally. Seems like I owe them a dinner… Jonghyun thought as he took off his glove and his gown then tossed it into the bin. A moment later, the others went out and washed their hands in that scrub room.

“You’ve been working hard, Chief Lee.” Jungshin and Ae Ra bowed at him and Jonghoon. “And Doctor Choi.”

“You too. Go get some rest before your pager is beeping again.” Jonghyun nodded at them and approached Jonghoon. “Hyung, I have an urge patient right now. I’ll make a visit after I’ve done with this.”

“Sure. I’ll go with her.” He signaled to the nurses who started to move Yoona back to her room. “Good job, Jonghyun.” He patted Jonghyun’s shoulder before he left.

Jonghyun sighed as he responded the pager. It’s gonna be a very long day

 

* * *

“Where is Doctor Lee, Nurse Han?”

“Doctor Lee got several code blue right after he completed your surgery, Doctor Im.” Nurse Han answered him while checking her IV. “Should I page him, Doctor Im? Something’s wrong?”

“No, no. I’m fine. It’s just… because he didn’t show up yet.” Yoona gave her an awkward smile. “Thank you, Nurse Han.”

“Sure, Doctor Im. Please call us if you need anything.” She bowed at Yoona before she left the room.

It’s been nine hours after her surgery finished. The clock already showed 10 pm. But when she was conscious, she didn’t see Jonghyun yet, until now. Jonghoon and Yuri just left about two hours ago because they’re still on duty. And her mom is sleeping on the guest’s bed in that room right now. Omma must be so tired… she thought.

Suddenly, the door was being knocked softly and in the next second, it was opened, with Jonghyun entered after it. The first thing that Yoona noticed is… he looks so damn tired. His eyebags were shown clearly and his dark circle is getting worst. I even can recognize these all from here, it means it must be more than just ‘worst’ if I see it very clearly. Did he even get some rest right since he arrived in Seoul?? I doubt that.

“Your mom is sleeping?” He asked with low voice as he glanced over her.

“Yes.” Yoona nodded. She stared as Jonghyun came closer to her bed side while reading her chart. “Have you already done all the things which prove that the surgery has done and you’ll be fine?”

“Yes, I’ve farted already, Jonghyun.” Thank God, I’m a doctor, so saying this kind of thing doesn’t make me embarrassed or make the situation awkward at all. “Have you done walking?”

“No, not yet.” Yoona shook her head. “Is it enough? Nine hours?”

“Actually seven hours is already enough, Yoona. We’re operating on you with a laparoscope. Which means, the incision is smaller, and the 12 hours recovery can be turned into seven hours recovery.” Jonghyun put back the chart beside Yoona’s bed. “I’ll examine you first before you can start walking.” He put on his stethoscope and started to examine her abdomen and her chest. “Your chart says fifteen minutes ago, your blood pressure is normal. Your heartbeat is okay, and I don’t see any problem.” He put down back his stethoscope. “Let me help you to get up.”

“Can you please stop talking like a doctor, Jonghyun?” Yoona asked as she tried to get up and down from the bed. Her wound stitch is a still a little sore but she knew it’s kind of normal.

“I am a doctor, Yoona. How can you prohibited a doctor to act like a doctor?” Jonghyun responded her as he held the IV pole for her while her other hand is holding Yoona’s arm, help her to walk properly and well-balanced.

“And I’m a doctor too. Although I’m not a surgeon like you. But I’m still a doctor. The way you ordered me just like…”

“Next time, Im Yoona,” Jonghyun cut her words, while they walked in the corridor. Fortunately Jonghyun brought her to the other corridor which is not that crowd because she might will be tired to bow back to people who passed them. “Next time, if you aware that you’re a doctor, then please act like one. Even if you’re sick, you’re still a doctor, you know it very clearly.”

“I apologize for my reckless act, Jonghyun. My bad. I’m so sorry, I really mean it.”

“Glad to hear that.” Jonghyun still showed no expression.

“Then why you’re still so cold towards me?” Yoona glanced at him. “I’ve already apologized.”

Jonghyun sighed. “Apologize accepted. I am not angry with you anymore, Yoona.”

“Then why?”

Jonghyun shook his head. “I’ve just lost two of my patients during surgery today.” He sighed again. “Sorry, you have to see this side of me again.”

Yoona rubbed Jonghyun’s back softly. “Hey, it’s fine.” She gave him a reassuring smile. “Next time, talk to me freely if you’re having a bad day like today...”

Jonghyun glanced at her and finally let out a little smile. “Thanks, Yoona. And sorry to give you a cold shoulder today.”

“You really did.” Yoona grimaced. “I was so afraid when I entered the OR.”

“Huh? Don’t tell me you’re afraid of having a surgery?”

“No. I’m more afraid to you.” Yoona squinted. “How could a doctor put a scary face like that. Glad that I was not conscious during the surgery. Imagine if I should look at your scary face during the whole operation.” She blabbered. “A surgeon should—“ she suddenly couldn’t keep talking because suddenly something warm pecked her lips. It took her a few second until she finally realized that it was Jonghyun’s... WHAT?? Omo! Omo! Is it his lips?? Did he just give me a peck just now?? She thought in shocked. The peck maybe just a second but it needs a few second for her to gather her mind. She blinked her eyes several times and stared at Jonghyun in disbelief, surprised, and so many expression in one. “W—what was that?”

Jonghyun cleared his throat. Although he maintain his poker face but somehow he looked a bit nervous since he avoided Yoona’s eyes.

“Lee Jonghyun?”

Jonghyun cleared his throat. He finally stared at Yoona. “Should I say sorry then explain to you or I can just explain it directly.”

Yoona bites her lower lips. Okay, that was very shocking, but... honestly, I dont want him to say sorry... ugh, I sound so naughty right now.  “Explain it. I’ll decide about the apologize later.”

Jonghyun sighed. “That was a peck. You must be want to know why I did that. But believe me, sometimes man only did it when we thought it was the right timing. And I think that was the right timing.”

Oh damn, my heart is really going to burst very soon. “To shut up my mouth from talking too much?”

“Oh, c’mon, Im Yoona.” Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “But I will apologize if you find it’s inappropriate. I’m very—“

“Shut up, Jonghyun.” This time, Yoona really wanted to roll her eyes, but she held it. How could he apologize?? Ssiroo. Then if he apolofized, it was counted as a mistake. “Who told you to apologize.”

Jonghyun stared at her with his genuine and profound gaze. “So you dont mind?” he raised one of his eyebrows, his expression is so unreadable.

“Dont ask.” Yoona rolled her eyes, trying to hide how nervous and embarassed she is right now. “Oh, I’m so going to report you, Lee Jonghyun. Be thankful that I didnt mind about that. If not, I will go to the security and said that I’m a patient and there’s a surgeon who just took an advantage on me.”

Jonghyun couldnt help but laughed as he heard Yoona’s words. “You successfully enlighten my mood.” He stared at her and gave her a soft pat to Yoona’s head, which makes Yoona have to focus since she might passed out due to her crazy heartbeat. “I want to know more about you.”

Yoona smiled. That was not a question. But somehow she knew that Jonghyun just asked her agreement about taking a forward step in their relationsh—no, friendsh—no, whatever it called between them. It makes her feel... happy. It means Jonghyun wanted to let it flow naturally between them. And that’s what she wanted too. She’s already so sick of men who suddenly forced her to be in a relationship with her right away. No wonder why people really adored him so much. He’s so... perfect, in every meaning of that words. “Me too, Jonghyun.”

 

* * *

 

It’s been a week after Yoona finally recovered. She actually wanted to work the day after the operation, which earned a scary look from her Mom, along with Jonghyun, Yuri and Jonghoon. So, she had to wait for two days until she finally can back to work again normally. Her Dad went home right after the conference was over. And as Yoona can see, his Dad looked so thankful and proud of Jonghyun. Well, she couldn’t agree more about that.

Being a patient in surgical unit, Yoona realized how busy he could be. Of course almost of doctors practically live in hospital more than in their own house. But for an attending like Jonghyun, he practically lives 24/7 in hospital. She found out that in this week, Jonghyun have never went home yet.

“Are you going home today?” Yoona asked as they were waiting for their coffee at the hospital coffee shop. It was 6 AM in the morning. “Today is Friday, and don’t say that you’re going to sleep in hospital again.”

“I think I will.” Jonghon nodded while yawning. “Chief Jung said that she will send me by  ambulance if I didn’t come home today and enjoy my weekend.”

Yoona chuckled. “See, even Chief Jung is tired already, seeing your zombie face for a whole week.”

“Not even Chief Jung, actually. Ah thank you.” He paused as he accepted the double espresso that he ordered. “Even Director Im called me to his office and told me that I must take my weekend away from hospital.” He grimaced.

“Oh jinjja? Daebak…” Yoona clapped her hands.

“Yeah. I think right after I went home, I should buy some noodles and order pizza then sleep for a whole day.” Said Jonghyun. “Huh? What’s wrong with your expression?” he asked when he saw Yoona was frowned at him.

“What a very healthy life, said one of the best surgeon in Hanhwa.” Yoona said in sarcastic tone, which earned a small smile on Jonghyun’s face.

“Honestly, I just need peaceful sleep, Yoona. I’ll only eat for the sake of life survival. So, the quality of food doesn’t really matter for the next two days. Unless, you want to come and cook some good food for me.”

“Me?” Yoona looks a bit surprised but somehow she feels happy. “I’m not that good at cooking, Jonghyun. My mom is an expert, but not me.” She grimaced.

“Doesn’t matter. The thing is, do you want to come or not?”

“I’ll call you then later.” Yoona decided since she’s still not sure.

“Okay, I have to go first.” Jonghyun said when his pager beeped. He took a note on the table and write down some numbers. “In case, you finally decided to come, that’s my passcode. I might sleep if you come, and it’s so hard to wake me up. Rather than making you stand up for a long time in front of my door, I guess it’s better to give you this.” He handed his house passcode to Yoona. “Have a nice day, Yoona.”

“You too, Jonghyun.” Yoona gave him a smile, although she still surprised with the fact that Jonghyun just gave her a permission to enter his house. Wow… it’s really something…

 

* * *

 

Yoona entered the passcode at Jonghyun’s door. It was 4 PM at Saturday when she finally decided to come, along with the homemade dish from her mother. She already pressed the doorbell once but there’s no answer. So she assumed that Jonghyun must be sleeping.

She opened the door carefully and found that the house is so quiet, just like the last time she was there. She straightly went to the kitchen first to put down her things. But when she turned around, she almost got a heart attack when she saw a guy already behind her, leaning on the wall while watching her with a choding smile.

“Oh My God, you almost make me passed out just now.” Yoona tried to manage her fast breathe. “Annyeonghaseyo, Yonghwa-ssi.”

 “Nice to see you again, Doctor Im. I heard the doorbell but I was in bathroom that time. And I was surprised when I see you successfully entered this house.” Yonghwa smirked. “Seems like I’ve missed a lot of things. Your relationship is already up until ‘you exchanged each other passocode’?”

“No! It’s just we promised to have either a lunch or dinner together in his house, but he afraid he might in deep sleep so he couldn’t hear if I came. That’s why he gave me his passcode.” Yoona explained.

“That’s not so Jonghyun.” Yonghwa still smirked. “But you’re right. He looks like a corpse in his bed right now. I came around thirty minutes ago and wake him up, but no respond at all.”

“Are you going somewhere, Yonghwa-ssi?” Yoona asked.

“Yes.” Yonghwa nodded. “Actually I have a date at 5 PM. That’s why I stopped by here for a moment. Just to check if he went home or not. It’s been a week I never saw him in his own house.” He answered. “Oh, and I heard you’ve just recovered from your surgery last week. I apologize because I couldn’t make it to visit you, Doctor Im.”

“Gwaenchana.” Yoona smiled. “Beside, it’s just a minor operation.” She said while glancing at the clock. “Do you want to have some tea before you leave, Yonghwa-ssi? My mom made something called blablabla white silver needle tea.”

“Sounds good. Can I have some?”

“Sure, please wait.” Yoona poured two cup of tea and handed it to Yonghwa while they sat on the dining chair.

“So, how’s your relationship with him?” Yonghwa asked after he said thank you for the cup of tea that Yoona just gave him. “Seeing you’re here makes me believe that your relationship must be turn better than before. Oh, when I say ‘better’, I mean ‘deeper’.”

Yoona smiled. “Well, we just wanted to know each other, more.” She said calmly.

“He said like that?” Yonghwa raised one of his eybrows while showing a smirk. “My cousin really said like that? Unbelievable…”

“Unbelievable?” Yoona tilted her head, confused.

“It feels like the 16 years old Jongie…” Yonghwa muttered, seems like lost in his own mind.

“Huh?”

“Eh?” Yonghwa finally gathered his mind again. “Sorry, I was a bit lost.” He grimaced. “The fact that you’ve just told me… reminds me of him… a few years ago…”

Yoona stared at Yonghwa with curious expression. “The way you talked, it sounds like Jonghyun was very different back then.”

“Oh, you caught that.” Yonghwa let out a smile but looks slightly sad. “Doctor Im, how much do you know about Jonghyun’s personal life?”

“His twin…”

“And?”

Yoona was silent for a moment before she spoke out. “His first love…”

“Tiffany?” Yonghwa looks a bit surprised. “He told you already about her?”

Yoona nodded. “Well… actually it was the time when he asked me to join him for a drink together…”

 

Flashback

“Do you want to hear a stupid story?”

Yoona raised her eyebrows as her eyes sparkled with curiosity. “I’m listening, Jonghyun.”

“It might be boring for you to hear…”

“Hey, just spit it out.”

Jonghyun took another sip before he finally continued to talk. “Someone came to me this afternoon. Someone that you’ve ever met when we’re at restaurant.”

“Ah, that beautiful woman.”

Jonghyun just smiled bitterly. “Her name Is Tiffany. She is my high school friend. And my first girlfriend.”

Yoona just kept silent. Actually somehow she already expected that Jonghyun and that woman must have—or ever had—a special relationship, more than just friend. She knew when she saw Tiffany’s expression at that time.

“We kept our relationship secretly for a month. But it’s so hard for me to be in a secret relationship. I mean, there’s no point to hide it from everyone. So, I decided to tell people around me. But then, before I spoke up, she told me that someone just asked me to become his girlfriend and she said yes.”

“What??” Yoona furrowed her eyebrows. “What the hell does it mean? Is she still your girlfriend at that time?”

“Yes.” Jonghyun smiled bitterly. “But she accepted that person. She told me she want to end our relationship because that other person is so much worthy rather than me.”

“And???”

“At first, I was so angry. I feel so betrayed. How could he treated my feeling for her like that. But later, I choose to give up.”

Yoona stared at Jonghyun with curiosity in her eyes, but something in Jonghyun’s words before made her hold her curious question. She could feel that Jonghyun skipped some private parts in there so Yoona won’t ask him some specific question. Such as, how could he give up, who’s that person, why Tiffany said he’s much worthy than him… and etc. But she restrained herself to not ask some questions which will make Jonghyun feel uneasy. So she came up with other question. “Then why she came to you today, Jonghyun? Is it already over between you two? I mean, highschool is already ten years ago…”

“She asked me to marry her…”

Yoona almost spit out her drink when she heard Jonghyun’s answer. “Are you crazy??”

“No, I’m not. She is.” Jonghyun smiled a little and sipped his drink again.

“And your answer?”

“Oh, Im Yoona. Please.” Jonghyun squinted at her with slightly annoyed expression.

Yoona shrugged her shoulder. “Well, who knows if you may still love her or what…” she muttered. “One thing that I’m sure is, if you already hate her to the death and she’s nothing for you anymore, then you won’t be like this tonight.”

“I don’t love her anymore, Yoona.”

“Then why you let her still burdened you?”

Jonghyun let out a very heavy sigh. “But I can’t get rid of her too. Not for me.”

“Will you explain what you mean?”

“Not now, maybe…” Jonghyun, once again, smiled bitterly. “Sorry, Yoona.”

“Hey, it’s okay.” Yoona gave him a reassuring smile. “You can always talk to me anytime, Jonghyun.”

 

 

“If only it’s not because of my cousin, I’ll already clean up that trash.” Yonghwa said as Yoona told him the whole story. “Oh, pardon about my language, Doctor Im.”

Yoona shook her head and grinned. “You sound like you hate her so much, Yonghwa ssi.”

“Yes I am.” Yonghwa nodded. “Hearing the story, do you think she’s not worthy to be hated?” Yonghwa made a disgusted expression.

“But if Jonghyun said that he doesn’t love her anymore, then why…”

“Why he let her disturbing his life?” Yonghwa completed Yoona’s question, which responded with a nod from Yoona. “Jonghyun has a personal reason. I want to tell you but I think it’s inappropriate for my cousin if I’m the one who tell you about something that he still keep as privacy, Doctor Im. Mianhaeyo.”

“No, gwaenchana, Yonghwa ssi. I understand that.” Yoona shook her head and smile.

“Oh, Yoona. You’re here…” a husky voice suddenly interrupted their conversation. They turned around and found a vampire—or zombie?—no, it’s Jonghyun who really looked like vampire and zombie at the same time—already wake up and approached them. Still with his sleepy face, panda eyes, messy hair and the husky yet y voice.

“Oh you’re awake. Sorry if we’re disturbing your sleep.”

“Not at all. I’m the one who apologize because I let you to be with that person.”

“Hey, greet your hyung, first.”

“And why you’re here?”

“Tsk… manner, dongsaeng.”

Jonghyun rolled his eyes. “Hey, hyung.” He greeted, reducing the annoying tone in his voice. “Since when you’re here?”

Yonghwa smiled with satisfaction. “Since an hour ago. I even tried to wake you up but you sleep like a log.”

“I never had a good sleep this week, hyung.” Jonghyun grimaced and then turned to Yoona. “Do you mind if I take a shower first?”

“No.” Yoona shook her head and smile. But how come he manage to still smell so good like this?? “Please take your time.”

“If hyung is blabbering too much, you have the right to kick him out from here.” Jonghyun said before he went back to his room.

“Yya! Just go shower so your evil soul will fly away!” Yonghwa shouted.

 

 

 


thank you :)

see ya next chapter ^^