Chapter 5 - Unclear Things

Prescription For Love

Yoona stared at the picture wordlessly until she heard someone’s just back. It must be him. She thought and placed the frame carefully back on the end table and sat on the edge of the bed. Waiting for Jonghyun to come in, and she’s right. In a minute, he entered the bedroom while holding two bags.

“I don’t know which one contains what and what, so I just brought it all here.” He grimaced as he put the bags on the bed beside Yoona.

“Thank you, Jonghyun. And you’re right to bring these bags. I need them all.” Yoona smiled. “Can I borrow your bathroom? Or do you want to use it first?”

“No, take your time, Yoona. I’ll use the other bathroom.” Jonghyun said. “Let me get my clothes first then you can use this room. You can use the bathrobe which still wrapped in plastic. I never used it before.”

“Thank you, Jonghyun.”

“Don’t be burdened.” Jonghyun replied back as he went into the other door, which true that it’s his closet, took some of them and leave the room.

 

 

Yoona went out from Jonghyun’s room after she fully dressed and freshly bathed. She looked around and just realized how spacious and luxury the apartment is. I could only afford this kind if Dad helped me, she thought as she walked to the kitchen, which she surely Jonghyun was there because that’s the sound was coming from.

“Hi,” Jonghyun greeted her. “Do you want some?” he asked while pointing at the coffee machine which was pouring a cup of black coffee.

“Sure. I need to get rid of the dizziness.”

“Still?”

“Not that much,” Yoona answered while taking the cup that Jonghyun offered to her. “Thank you.”

“Sorry, I barely eat at home, so I have nothing to serve you right now.” Jonghyun grimaced with an apologetic look. “I just ordered from minimarket at the ground floor, fortunately they just make some fresh sandwiches this morning.” He offered them to Yoona.

“Thank you. And sorry for that too, Jonghyun.”

“As I say before, don’t feel burdened.” Jonghyun smiled and took a sip of his coffee. “

“Do you live alone?” Yoona asked as she took a bite of her sandwich. Right since she woke up until now, she didn’t see anyone else except two of them.

“Yes.” Jonghyun nodded.

“Ah, by the way, someone just called you this morning,” Yoona suddenly remembered the phone call. “But first let me apologize because I answered it,” she grimaced. “I still couldn’t gather my mind and I thought it was my phone because it has similar ringtone.”

“It’s okay.” Jonghyun grinned. “You must be panicky.”

“Yes, I am.” Yoona grimaced. “And he told me to tell you that it’s from Jung Yong Hwa.”

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “Yonghwa hyung? Did he say anything else to you? Such as, who are you or what…”

“Well, he’s a bit surprised at first but he didn’t ask anything and just left that message.”

Jonghyun nodded. “He must be curious to death right now,” he mumbled, feeling amused.

“Why?”

“He always curious about my life, Yoona.” Jonghyun chuckled. “He’s my cousin, more like my hyung.”

“But the name sounds familiar, Jonghyun… I don’t know but I think I’ve ever heard it somewhere…”

“If you ever read business magazine, well maybe.”

“Is he a well-known business man?”

“More like CEO of JF Company.”

“JF? As JF the one of biggest art-related company in South Korea?” Yoona asked as she mentioned a company in Arts & Culture industry which owned many music hall, theater, galleries, and others in South Korea. Even if she’s not in that industry, but almost people in Korea knows that one of powerful families.

“If that JF stands for Jung Family, then it is.” Jonghyun answered calmly.

Yoona stared at him silently. Okay, now I’m curious about his background. It doesn’t mean that I interested to people’s financial background, that’s not me at all. But for him… I don’t know… I’m just curious. Like the way the staff in Diamond Club treated him as VVIP, and look at his apartment. Hell, it’s the most expensive one in Seoul and not to mention his car! Honestly I never put any interest of what kind of car that people have, but believe me it couldn’t be the same when you see a very outstanding white Aston Martin Vanquish parked beside your car. See? Like I said before, when you’re a 26 years old doctor—doesn’t matter how successful you are—it’s still not enough to buy those two things at the same time, except if you’re a billionaire since you were born. I mean, usually the chaebol have a connection to each other.  See who’s his cousin, right?

“Hey, Yoona, what’s up?”

Yoona startled, regaining back her sense and grimaced. “Sorry, lost in thought.” She started to bite her sandwich again while staring at Jonghyun who was reading a newspaper. “Uhm, Jonghyun…”

“Yes?”

“Why do you live alone?”

“Huh?” Jonghyun raised his head and stared at Yoona in confused. “Some of them is similar with the reason why you choose to live alone, Yoona.”

“Same? But you even didn’t know what is my reason—“

“To stand on your own shoes. Not to burden the parents. To learn about living alone by yourself.” Jonghyun answered her question. “Is it right?”

Yoona bited her lower lips. “Yeah, how do you know?”

“Because it's always been like that.” Jonghyun smiled and put the newspaper down. He then rested his arms on the table, staring at Yoona. “Do you have siblings, Yoona?”

“Oh,” Yoona frowned. “Are we playing 20 questions right now?” she grinned.

“Pleasure to do it.” Jonghyun replied. “Well, it’s nice to know more about you.”

“Same here. Well, I don’t have any brothers nor sisters, Jonghyun.” She smiled. “Is your family in NY? Or in Seoul?”

“Changing frequently.” Jonghyun answered shortly.

“What do you mean changing frequently? Does your parents travel a lot?”

“You can say like that.”

“Your hometown, then?”

“NY and Seoul. My parents are half mixed.” Jonghyun answered again. “My turn, right? Can I ask something about your privacy? Well you have the right not to answer it if you feel inconvenient…”

“Sure. Go on, Jonghyun.”

“Your latest love experience?”

Yoona chuckled over Jonghyun’s question. “It’s the band guy that I’ve ever told you. Around four years ago.”

“Oh c’mon…” Jonghyun grimaced. “Of all the male doctors in Hanhwa, no one ever hit on you?”

“I don’t say no one ever tried… but no one has succeed.”

“Name?”

“Hey!” Yoona chuckled. “It’s my turn!”

“Name, Im Yoona?” Jonghyun insisted.

“Uhm… well, let me tell you later when we’re in hospital. It’s easier to remember if I saw their faces…”

“Oh!” Jonghyun looks surprised. “Then it means there are so many until you can’t even remember clearly.” He smirked. “Your turn.”

“Are you the only child in your family, Jonghyun?” Yoona finally let out the question since her mind is still filled with the picture at Jonghyun’s bedroom.

Jonghyun suddenly turned silent upon hearing Yoona’s question. His expression changed but still unreadable. “I do have. One.” He muttered. His gaze were not focusing.

“Brother? Or sister?”

“Brother…”

“Hyung?”

Jonghyun turned silent again, seems like his mind isn’t there anymore. “Same age. Twin.” His voice cracked.

“Where is he right now? Is he in Seoul too?”

Jonghyun gripped the glass so hard as he turned silent. “Sorry, Yoona. Can we drop that question?”

“S—sure.” Yoona nodded in a hurry as she realized how pale Jonghyun is. “I’m sorry, Jonghyun. I don’t mean to—“

“Nevermind. And I’m sorry, Yoona.” Jonghyun started to calm himself and gave Yoona a weak smile. “I apologize. Maybe next time I’ll answer that.”

“Hey, just forget it.” Yoona shook her head.

“If I tell you someday, do you still want to hear?”

“Sure. As I said, I’m always a good listener. Anytime.” Yoona gave him a reassuring smile. “But please noted that I won’t ask you or anything if you feel uneasy about that.”

“Thanks, Yoona.”

“Don’t mention it.” Yoona grinned, trying to make him relax again and fortunately it works a bit. “By the way, do you have a free time tonight, Jonghyun?” Yoona asked as her eyes were on her phone screen.

“Why?”

“I just got this message a minute ago. Fortunately, for me, you already okay if you’re inviting again. Right?”

Jonghyun read the message on Yoona’s phone screen.

 

From : Omma

Sweetie, don’t forget to have a dinner tonight at the house. And when will you invite the kind doctor who helped you last time? Tonight, right? Okay. I’ll see you, then.

 

“Wow…” Jonghyun chuckled. “Your mom is so cool!” he gave Yoona a thumb up. “Tell her that I’ll gladly come.”

“Omma must be so happy with that.” Yoona started to type the reply for her mother.

“Thank you Yoona.”

“Huh? What for, Jonghyun?”

“For all the things that you’ve done for me until now.”

 

* * *

 

“Where were you last night, Doctor Im?”

Yoona, who was arranging the plate on the table, startled as she heard his father’s sound who suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

“W—What, Appa?”

“I accidentally passed by your apartment this early morning when I was jogging. And I found that you didn’t come home that night. Where were you?” Im Hee Sung asked as his eyes checked through the glass divider on his wife who still busy in the kitchen, meaning she won’t have any idea what he and their daughter are talking about. “And don’t say you’re in hospital because no pediatrician slept at hospital in Saturday night.”

Yoona grimaced as realized how detailed her Dad is. “I overslept at my friend’s house. I’m a bit drunk and I couldn’t drive. Or do you prefer me to drive with that condition, Appa?”

“Who?”

“Who what?”

“Who’s this friend?” His Dad looked so curious. “Okay, let me skip these all, are you seeing someone right now, Yoongie?”

“Oh, Appa!” Yoona rolled her eyes. “Sometimes I don’t even believe that Appa is the Director of the biggest hospital in Asia because of your childish curiosity…”

Im Hee Sung chuckled over Yoona’s reaction. “So, if I was right, did you sleepover at a guy’s house?”

“Hey, Appa, where is the conclusion come from?” Yoona frowned.

“You will give me the name easily since beginning if it’s your female friend, Yoongie.” His Dad smirked. “So, who’s this guy?”

“I won’t give you any names, appa. Listen, he’s just my friend. And since he couldn’t drive me home, so I didn’t have any choice but sleep there. He’s so well mannered. You don’t have to worry, Appa. Nothing happened.”

“Nothing happened?”

“Nothing. I’m still your innocent cute daughter.” Yoona gave her Dad a wink. “Don’t tell Omma!” she added in a hurry.

“I won’t, unless you give me his name.” Her Dad smirked, teasing her daughter.

“Appa!” Yoona finally faced her Dad while putting his hands on her hips. “What’s with Appa’s resonse right now? I don’t get it. Last time I dated Donghae, you were acted like a very protective Appa. And now?”

“I’m not saying that I have changed, sweetheart. It depends on the name that you’ll give me.” Im Hee Sung ruffled Yoona’s hairs. “Now, name? Before I told your Omma. We know that your omma loves to overacted especially when she has been waiting for too long to see her daughter is in relationship again.”

Yoona sighed while rubbing her forehead. Dealing with her beloved father usually isn’t that easy. “I’m not dating anyone. And I’ll tell you after the dinner. Okay, Appa?” she know her Dad will agree. That’s the thing that she loves from her Dad. She can always talk anything leisurely with him.

“Sure.” Im Hee Sung agreed. “And speaking of the dinner, how come you successfully convinced Doctor Lee to accept the invitation?”

“Thanks to you, Appa.” Yoona grinned. “He just acknowledged that my father is Director Im. And he felt bad because he impolitely turned down the last time I offer him to dinner together here.”

“What a very polite kid.” Im Hee Sung praised him. “Why you don’t date someone like him, Yoongie?”

Yoona rolled her eyes, knowing that her father is still teasing her, but when she wanted to open , the maid approached them.

"Excuse me, Mr and Miss Im. The guest has just arrived.“

Yoona exchanged looks with her father as they know who must be standing in front of the door right now. “After dinner.” Im Hee Sung reminded him before Yoona walked to the door to greet their guest.

 

 

 

Yoona rushed towards the living room as the maid informed that ETA of Jonghyun is about next few seconds. She checked her appearance. She’s wearing a blue sleeveless midi dress which makes her looks simple but stunning. She took a deep breathe before she approached the living room. I’m not exaggerating, but I just realized this morning that he’s ten thousand times more breathtaking than usual when he’s not in his doctor’s coat.

“Hey!” Yoona greeted as she arrived in living room and Jonghyun just welcomed with the maids as enter the house. “Welcome, Jonghyun. Please come in.” See? That’s what I said he’s ten thousand times more breathtaking. Just look how handsome he is in those navy blazer paired with white t-shirt and dark blue jeans. But please dont misunderstand my words, I purely praised him.

Jonghyun examined Yoona’s appearance before he responded. This is not the first time he saw Yoona in dress. But this one is different. In hospital, she wore something like business-dress—or what it called for, whateverbut seeing her wearing the different kind of dress right now… Well, it’s true what his fellow doctors say that she must be the most beautiful doctor that ever seen. Jonghyun cleared his throat and smiled. “Hello. Thanks for inviting me tonight.” He said with his husky yet y voice. “Oh and this is for you.” He gave Yoona a bouquet of white roses that he just brought.

“Wow.” Yoona looks so surprised as she received the flowers. “Who told you to bring me these flowers?”

“Internet.” Jonghyun said calmly while holding his smile. “They said I should bring something for the house owner if I was invited to dinner.”

“It satisfied me a lot.” Yoona giggled. “Because I believe you won’t think about that by yourself.” Of course he won’t. Remember how he treated me at first? And I know he has that character. “Thank you, Jonghyun.”

“You’re welcome.”

“Oh, Doctor Lee! Here you are.” Im Hee Sung’s voice was echoing as soon as he came to greet the guest. With him, there’s Yoona’s mother—Im Young Ah.

“Good evening, Director Im.” Jonghyun bowed politely. “And Mrs. Im.” He bowed to Yoona’s mother too. “Thank you for inviting me to dinner. And I apologize for my rude behavior last time.”

Yoona almost—almost—rolled her eyes as she saw how satisfied her Mom is when she saw Jonghyun and the way he acted so politely. And Yoona knows what’s on her mom’s mind. Jonghyun is totally fulfill her wish of perfect son-in-law.

“You speak Koren so fluent.” Her Mom complimented him. “And don’t apologize please. It’s us who should be thankful for helping Yoona. And also for accepting our invitation.”

“It’s my pleasure, Mrs. Im.” Jonghyun smiled politely. “And this is for you, Director.” He handed a paperbag which looks so elegant. “And this one is for you, Mrs. Im.” He handed another beautiful paperbag.

Yoona watched as their parents opened the paperbag. Wow, he really hits the jackpot, Yoona thought as she saw what’s inside those paper bags. The one for her Dad is a bottle of red wine, Bordeaux. It’s people most favorite wine, including her Dad. Meanwhile for her Mom, Jonghyun gave her Fujian White Silver Needle Tea. Or that’s what I can read on the label. I’m not so into tea so I didn’t know what kind of tea it is. But Mom is. She collected so many kind of tea. And judging from the package and Mom’s expression, I know it’s not a common one. By the way… how come he brought the gifts that perfectly suits my parents taste?

“Thank you so much, Doctor Lee.” Her parents happily smiled. See? He really hits the jackpot. “You know you don’t have to buy these all for us.” says her Dad.

“Please accept it on my behalf my apologized, Director Im.” Jonghyun said mannerly.

“Thank you very much, Doctor Lee.” Yoona’s mom spoke. “But how could you buy the gifts that perfectly matched with our taste? Did Yoona tell you beforehand?” She looked at Yoona with warning eyes.

“No, I didn’t tell him anything!” Yoona defended herself, knowing that if it’s her who told Jonghyun, she might be doomed.

“No, Mrs Im. It just happened like that. I never know that Director loves wine and Mrs. Im love the tea. I’m thankful that I choose the right gifts.” Jonghyun answered while glancing at Yoona as he hold his laugh when he saw Yoona’s annoying face.

“Thank you very much, Doctor Lee.” Says Her Dad. “C’mon. Let’s have a dinner now. We make you stand here for so long.” He laughed. “Yoona, show him the way.” He said and went inside first. Leaving Yoona and Jonghyun in the living room.

“Did I do something wrong, Yoona?” Jonghyun said in amusing tone as he saw Yoona was glaring at him.

“I almost get scolded of something that I even didn’t know anything of.” Yoona squinted. “How did you know? I know it’s not accidentally.”

“I’m a friend of Jonghoon hyung and Doctor Kwon, too, Yoona.” Jonghyun smiled. “They are a very nice informant.”

“Ah…” Yoona finally acknowledged but then she facepalmed. “They must be so loud, knowing you’ll have a dinner with my parents.”

“Glad that you’re mentioning it. I almost threw my phone of shock when I heard Doctor Kwon squealed.” Jonghyun grimaced.

Yoona giggled. “Sorry for that. Well, let’s have a dinner, Jonghyun.”

 

 

 

“Where do you live, Doctor Lee?” her Mom asked as four of them were having dinner. “Oh can I drop the honorific? If I call you like that, I feel like in hospital.”

“My mom is like that, Jonghyun. They didn’t allow us to use the hospital-term whenever three of us met. She said she feels like an outlier.” Yoona giggled.

Jonghyun let out a small laugh and nodded to Yoona’s mom. “Of course, Mrs. Im.” He smiled. “And I live in Cheongdamdong, Mrs. Im.”

“Do you live alone?”

“Yes.” Jonghyun nodded.

“Where’s your parents then, dear?”

“Their house in Chungdam. But they used to travel a lot.” Jonghyun answered calmly.

Yoona who was busy eating her steak, raised her eyebrows silently. She noticed there’s something strange with Jonghyun’s answer. The way he said ‘their house’ is a bit… strange. It’s like his and his parents are stands apart. And also… Chungdam? That district has been well known as a very luxury and very-high-class place.

They continued to talk about so many things. Although most of the question and topics were brought by her parents, since Jonghyun didn’t that good to create the new topic, but he managed to responded them very well. If people look at them, it doesn’t look like it’s their first time to meet.

After this, Omma surely won’t stop talk about him… Yoona sighed as she watched her parents and Jonghyun were talking about paintings which not-so-her.

They talked until the clock already showed 8.30 pm. Jonghyun glanced at his watch and realized he should ask for leave since tomorrow is Monday. “I guess it’s time to me for leave, Director and Mrs. Im.” said Jonghyun. “I already distracted for too long.” He smiled.

“It’s okay, Doctor Lee.” Im Hee Sung responded him. “We’re so glad that you accepted the invitation.”

“Thank you for the dinner, Director and Mrs. Im. I really have a good meal.” Jonghyun said as they walked him off to the entrance door. He then eyed Yoona. “Are you going home too?” he asked as he see Yoona was pulling out his car key.

“Yes.”

“Then can I offer you a drive?” Jonghyun asked and turned to her parents. “If you allow me, Director and Mrs. Im.”

“Sure!” Yoona’s mom reacted happily. “Thank you very much, Jonghyun.”

“Omma!” Yoona frowned and looked at Jonghyun. “No need, Jonghyun. I brought my car.”

“I’ll tell Jaekang to send it to hospital tomorrow.” His dad snapped, which is a sign to Yoona that it’s unargueable. “Then, help me to send her home safely, Doctor Lee.”

“Sure, Director Im. Thank you.” Jonghyun bowed once again. “Then, please excuse me.” Said him before he entered his car which already brought to him by Im family’s driver. “Let’s go, Yoona.”

Yoona waited until Jonghyun entered the car and faced her parents while frowning. “Why I feel like Omma and Appa are pushing me into a hole?”

“Which parents will push their own daughter into a hole?” her Dad laughed. “Beside it much safer if you’re with him, and he’s the one who offered so why not?” he ruffled Yoona’s hairs. “See you tomorrow at the hospital, Yoongie.”

Yoona sighed, knowing that she won’t ever win, finally gave up. She planted a kiss on her parents cheek. “See you next week, Omma. And tomorrow, Appa. I’m leaving!” she waved and went into the passenger seat beside Jonghyun as he pulled down the window’s car.

“Good night, Director and Mrs. Im.”

“Good night, Doctor Lee. Drive safely.”

Jonghyun nodded and left the house while driving leisurely. He glanced at Yoona who was giving him a strange look. “Uhm… may I ask what’s wrong with your expression?”

“Lee Jonghyun offered me a drive?” Yoona tilted her head. “Unbelievable.”

Jonghyun chuckled over her words. “As I said before, Yoona. I will only make that mistake once. There won’t be second time.”

Yoona playfully snorted and laughed. “You know, you successfully stole my mom’s heart.”

“Excuse me? Do you want Director Im came and shot me in head right now because your words?”

Yoona laughed over his reaction. “Aish, What I mean is… my mom, and every mother I think, has their ideal character of son-in-law. So my mom. Until now, she never found all that she wanted in one person. Not until she saw you. You really have it all. The son-in-law material.”

“Wow,” Jonghyun’s eyes sparkled as he looked at Yoona. “I’ll take it as a very nice and heartwarming compliment. I do like your mother, she’s so caring and lovely mother. And I won’t mention Director Im since he’s one of my role model right since I met him on my first day in Hanhwa.”

“Yeah. You really hit the jackpot tonight, Jonghyun. But it makes my life harder at the same time.”

“Why?”

“Because mom won’t stop talking about you since now on.” Yoona rolled her eyes.

“Isn’t it something good?” Jonghyun raised one of his eyebrows. “I’d be glad to fulfill your mom’s wish…” he added—while muttering.

“Excuse me, Jonghyun?”

“You heard me, Yoona.” He flashed—for the very first time, he intentionally showed it—a meaningful yet so breathtaking smile to her.

And it successfully makes Yoona speechless.

 

 

 

 


new chapter is here ^^

I'm happy that there are still some of you guys who anticipated this story ^^

thank you so much for reading and even commented on this story ^^ appreciated it alot.

see ya next chapt