Chapter 20 - Something Strange

Prescription For Love

“Doctor Im.”

“Yes?” Yoona who just went out from the ward after visit the patients, turned her head to see who’s calling her. “Oh!” she automatically bowed when she saw a man who wear a suit is the one who called her name, although she didn’t know who he is. “Annyeonghaseyo.” She greeted politely.

That guy also bowed before he talked again. “Excuse me, Doctor Im. I’m Han Sung Jo. Secretary of Lee Family.” That guy introduced himself.

Yoona raised her eyebrows as she finally knew who the person is. So, he is Secretary Han that I often see when he called Jonghyun’s phone. “Ah ye. Nice to meet you, Secretary Han.” Yoona smiled properly. “Is there something that I can help you with?”

“If you have spare time, and if you don’t mind, Doctor Im. Mr and Madam Lee has requested to meet you.”

Yoona tried to maintain her calm expression although her heart feels like skipped a beat. “Sure. I’ve done with my visit this afternoon.” She nodded. “Where?”

“This way, Doctor Im.”

Yoona quietly took a deep breath before she followed Secretary Han. She glanced at the phone that she’s holding right now and remembered what she just promised to Jonghyun. Let me meet them first, Jonghyun. Okay? I promise I’ll tell you if something unexpected happened.

 

*  *  *

Jonghyun stared at the presentation screen, totally focused on the topic of the meeting. After a few days as CEO, the entire office has started to undertand his personality. One of those is, when they held a meeting, always be fully prepared, because he has a lot questions which can make the presenter and the audience were nervous. Usually the purpose of the questions is to know more, or to give a test to the audience, how well did they know about the topic. Beside of that, some people who underestimated him at first, started to realize that they were wrong. They admit that he is a very genius person. He didn’t look like someone who just entered business field. He mastered them all in short time. He made himself climbed ‘the stairs’ so fast.

“Wait.” Jonghyun suddenly spoke, which automatically made the audience straightened their seats, preparing themselves for any words that will come out from Jonghyun’s mouth. “Show me the previous slide.” He said while fixing his glasses. “This. Tell me how did you assume it to become 80%? As I remembered, there are still a few factors hasn’t included here. And if those are included, this factor won’t even reach until 60%.” He started to blabber in scary—or people there said it was scary, although it’s flat—tone. “You cannot ignore the other minor factors just because the amount is small. It will give a very big, and bad impact, because something is missing in your calculation, Director Kim.”

“Ah, y—ye, CEO Lee. We apologize for the mistake. We’ll recalculate it again, then.” Director Kim nodded his head, totally looks nervous because he also didnt realizethe mistake until Jonghyun told him.

“Okay.” Jonghyun nodded. “You can send me the revised version and we’ll talk about it later we saw the right one. That’s all for this meeting, I think. I’m fine with the rest. Thank you.” And with that, he left the room, followed with exhaled in relief from the whole audiences after a long nervous that they felt during the meeting.

“You can say he’s really a ‘Lee’ right since you saw him talked. He didn’t even look like a former surgeon. He looks like a prodigy one in business field. Whenever he spoke up, I always feel that he knows a lot about this company rather than me. He has a very powerful and authoritative aura.” One of the attendee commented when Jonghyun and his assistant already left the room. “Just like his father…”

 

* * *

“You know, you really don’t have to put aside your meeting just for having a lunch together.” Yoona commented while she and Jonghyun are having a lunch at hospital cafeteria. Actually they wanted to have a lunch outside but it can’t be helped since her schedule is so tight. She already had a long queue of outpatients right from the very morning and just finished when the lunch time has passed more than an hour ago. Actually she already told Jonghyun that she might couldn’t have their lunch together but Jonghyun insisted that anywhere and anytime is fine. So, here they are. Although Yoona feels a bit uneasy because she’s afraid that she just disturbed Jonghyun’s schedule. After all, he’s way busier than her.

“No, I’m not. The latest meeting just ended right before I came here. And the next will be held in an hour so I still have a spare time.” Jonghyun answered casually while munching his food.

“But I feel bad because you had your lunch with hospital cafetaria’s food…” Yoona muttered, totally feel bad towards him. He deserved a better lunch.

“Hey, I used to eat this since many years ago, Yoona. Just because I’m wearing a suit right now and not my surgeon uniform doesn’t mean that I’m not a part of medical anymore, including this one.” He smiled a little and continue to eat.

Yoona finally feel reassured after hearing the answer. Actually the feeling that she feels right now is kinda… odd. Having a lunch together with Jonghyun in cafeteria is the thing that she almost did everyday since a few months ago until two weeks ago. And it’s just two weeks, then everything has changed drastically. Now, he didn’t wear his blue general surgeon uniform anymore nor the white coat, and whenever people passed by their table, they greeted him with a bow, along with all the attentions. Well, but as she already promised him before, those kind of things won’t become a burden for her. So, she tried not to think about the others and just enjoying her time with him.

“Will you visit your residents before you go back?”

“I think I’ll go take some personal files in my desk. But I don’t think they’re there. I heard several code blues when I just arrived. And I saw the news that there is a big accident in the highway.” Jonghyun commented. “They might contact you for some consultation, I think, since a kindergarten school bus was involved.”

“Is it bad??”

“I don’t get the detail with that news.” Jonghyun shook his head. And before he can continue his words, Yoona’s phone is ringing, showing a call from Emergency.

“Yes?” Yoona answered in first tone.

“Pediatric Im, this is Surgeon Lee Jungshin. We need a consultation immediately.”

“Understand. I’ll come right now.” Yoona said and ended the call. She stared at Jonghyun who stared at her back. “I have to leave first. Do you want to wait here?”

“No, I’ll go with you.” Jonghyun stood up. “Did I say that I also need to go there for my personal belonging? Let’s go. It’s an emergency call for you, Yoona. You have to be hurry.”

 

 

 

“What happened?” Yoona asked as soon as she entered the emergency room. She didn’t often to be summoned there because usually the pediatric surgeon will handle it if it’s about emergency who need an immediate operation. And before she entered the emergency room, she already saw that most of the children only had minor injuries and will be transfer to outpatients unit later. Usually, she will handle those all, not the emergency one. But when she entered, she noticed there are six children who were being treated right now.

“Doctor Im, can you please check this one.” Jungshin, who was doing an intubation to a kid patient talked to her. “Sorry for calling you Doctor Im. We suddenly have so much emergency patients at once. And most of them are kids. We need a consultation.”

“What about the Pediatric Surgical Unit?” Yoona asked as she started to examine a 7 years old kid.

“They already took six patients from here. All of their hands are full right now.” Jungshin answered while keep doing the treatment. “Honestly, all of surgical unit already got their maximum right now since there are so many critical patients. Five patients already transferred to heart surgical, four has been transferred to brain surgical.”

Yoona’s eyes looked around and noticed that even all general surgeon hands there are already full. Even for the kid patient that Yoona was examining right now, he was handled by only the residents, there is no fellow doctor since all of them already handled the other critical patients. She even saw the Chief of Surgical Department, Jung Hae Ra is also doing a surgery right now on the patient beside Yoona.

“It’s bad.” Yoona put back her stetoscope after she examined the body and that kid’s eyes. “I’m afraid you need to transfer him to brain surgical immediately. His pupils are showing a weak sign and asymmetry. Is it possible for them to accept another one? It’s been ten minutes since the level feel from 100 to 300 right? We can’t wait for too long or else…” Yoona hang her words.

“No, Doctor. No one is available.” Jungshin shook his head in panic after he called the unit. “Professor Jung? How…?” he asked with hopeless voice.

“Wait… Jonghyun…” the thought suddenly came across on Yoona’s mind, and it made all the attentions swifting over her in a second. “He’s here! Professor Jung, can he… do the operation?” she turned at Jung Hae Ra.

“Jonghyun? Do you mean Surgeon—CEO Lee??”

“Yes. I need your agreement, Professor. He spent half of his residency years as Pediatric Neurosurgeon right?”

Professor Jung turned to the other attending doctor, who also treated the othe patients. They all look agreed because all of them nodded, even Doctor Yoo Jung In. Seems like they are totally need an additional member, since none of the residents who are available could do a brain surgery for children. “If he agreed, Doctor Im. Please. Because actually he also has the right to decline since he is on temporary retirement.”

Yoona nodded and dialed Jonghyun’s number in a hurry. Please, Jonghyun…

It only took less than a minute after Yoona called and explained him the current situation there until Jonghyun showed up in the emergency room. Even in the middle of the hectic situation, his appearance is totally stealing the attention. Yoona even could saw the eyes that full of hope from the residents when they saw their former chief is there.

“Please excuse me to examine him.” Jonghyun didn’t even wasted any time as he rushed off to the patient and exchange place with Yoona. “How about the Operation Room?”

“Available in twenty minutes.”

“It can’t be helped. Let’s do the surgery here. It’s not that deep so we can do it without micro.” He took off his suit and his tie, while the nurse helped him to wear the surgery robe. “Jungshin, assist me in suction. Yoo Ae Ra, prepare the transfusion. Yoona, I need you to stay here, tell me if there’s a change in vital sign during surgery.”

“Yes, Doctor Lee.”

 

 

 

“Yap, it’s done. I’ll leave the stitches for you, then.” Jonghyun stepped back and let Jungshin and Ae Ra continued to do the final stitches. He glanced at the clock and found that it took about fourty five minutes for the surgery just now. Seems like few of patients almost finished the surgery and it seems smooth. He approached Professor Jung, who also has just finished the surgery. “Professor, I’m sorry I have to leave right now. I already input the current condition post-operation in the database for the doctor-in-charge later.”

Professor Jung nodded, but before Jonghyun left the room, she suddenly called him again. “Doctor Lee.”

Jonghyun, along with Yoona, stopped their walking and turned around. “Yes, Professor?”

“Please let me to call you Doctor Lee, because after you went out from this room, I have to call you CEO Lee.” Professor Jung smiled under her mask. “On behalf of doctors here, thank you so much, Doctor Lee. Thank you for helping us. Thank you so much. And we apologize because actually it’s not the right thing to ask you to work in your temporary retirement as a doctor.”

Jonghyun took off his mask, his lips formed a formal smile—as usual. “You don’t need to thank me, Professor Jung. Because that’s what doctors should do. That’s what you always taught to us. I’m still a doctor, just like six months ago when I came here for the first time. The difference thing right now is only, I have two jobtitles for now. Just it.” He smiled again and bowed back to them. “Good work everyone. Please excuse us.”

 

 

 

“Do you know how charming you were in the emergency room just now?” Yoona asked as they walked together through the corridor. Jonghyun is already wearing his suit right now since he’s about to leave for the upcoming meeting.

Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows while keep walking. “Charming?”

“Yes.” Yoona nodded while smiling. “You look so charming, when you answered my call, when I only explained a little but you said you’ll come right away, when you entered the emergency room and you have that ‘doctor-look’ on your face, when you were doing the operation for the kid which is so skillful as the fellowship in pediatric neurosurgical, when you were finished the surgery successfully, when you were talking to Professor Jung… wow you’re so charming, I have to admit it.”

Jonghyun smiled quietly as he heard the compliment from Yoona. “I just regretted one thing.” He said as they arrived on the main entrance, which his car is already waiting outside.

“What?”

“If I know you really like to see the version of me just now, I should call you since a few months ago to come whenever I did a surgery. I think you might can’t help yourself anymore because of your overwhelming love for me…”

Yoona smiled as she fixed Jonghyun’s tie before he entered the car. “I like any version of you, honestly.”

“Aish it can’t be helped if you’re like this.” He sighed and glanced around before he landed a peck on Yoona’s lips. “I’ll send you home tonight. Text me if you’re done already.” He smiled and entered the car.

“Yya... what the… in front of so many people…” Yoona muttered and trying to hide her red cheeks because of shyness when she realized what Jonghyun just did in public. “Lee Jonghyun is crazy… totally…” although she couldn’t help but smiled sheepishly.

 

* * *

“Is this your first time?” Jonghyun asked as he and Yoona walked down from the plane which just landed safely at JFK Airport, New York.

“Both? Yes.”

“Both?”

“Do you think I owned a private jet?” Yoona squinted at him. “Why don’t we travel by public plane?”

“Because… the company didn’t let me to travel by public since this one is available.” Jonghyun answered lightly. “And I didn’t own that. It belongs to the company.”

Yoona just sighed and followed Jonghyun’s steps. Perhaps because of the long flight that makes her too tired to debate with him. “And how about CEO Jung?”

“Hyung has arrived since this morning because he also has a business meeting with some clients here, and also he made a visit to his soon to be parents-in-law.”

“Oh, Miss Seo’s parents is living in NY?”

“Yes, do you think where did they meet for the first time?”

“Here??”

Jonghyun nodded. “Yes. They met at someone’s birthday party. That someone is from Korea and attended the same college with hyung in NY, and also a high school friend of Seohyun noona.”

“So they were in a relationship for long already…”

“No… Although they met more than eight years ago, but they were in a relationship just since two years ago.”

“Ah I see…” Yoona nodded. “So where are we going now?”

“My house.”

“Oh, he even owned a house in NY…” Yoona mumbled and following Jonghyun’s steps.

 

 

 

Yoona doesn’t even remember what time she felt asleep last night. When she wake up and went straight to take a bath then went out from her room, she found that Jonghyun and Yonghwa are already preparing breakfast.

“Good morning.” Yoona greeted them. “Sorry, I wake up so late.”

“Morning, Doctor Im.” Yonghwa grinned while turning on the coffee maker. “Jet lag?”

“A bit.” Yoona nodded. “Do you need some help?”

“No, we’re done. Take a seat, Yoona.” Jonghyun said while putting three plates of egg benedict for each of them. “Are you okay?”

“I’m totally fine. What time we will go?”

“After breakfast. Hyung has to go back at noon. He has an urgent meeting in Seoul tomorrow morning.”

“I’m fine.” Yonghwa smiled when Yoona stared at him with worry expression. “Jonghyun even already gave me a prescription for vitamin.”

“If not, you’ll pass out in the plane with your tight schedule like that.” Jonghyun commented as she took out two pills beside him and swallowed it at once with water.

Yoona saw the view in front of her silently. She knew Jonghyun just consumed two pills of Paroxetine. A medicine that usually consumed by people who has PTSD. The same pills that she saw scattered on the day when she discovered about Jonghyun. Although she already knew about that, but she still feels sad whenever she saw him like that. She knew Jonghyun didn’t consume it regularly, but for today, she knew he had to. That’s why she didn’t let out any comments about that.

A phone call suddenly distracted Yoona from her mind-talking. It was Jonghyun’s phone. Seems like it was a business call since Yoona can saw the name that appeared on the screen—Director Shim—along with Jonghyun’s heavy sigh when he saw that name.

“Work thing. Just a minute.” He said to Yoona and took his phone then went to the other room to answer the call.

Yonghwa followed Jonghyun’s move then swifted his attention to Yoona. “Seems like you have something in your mind that you couldn’t say it out, Doctor Im. Especially to Jonghyun…” he started to speak when he’s sure that Jonghyun couldn’t hear them. While Yoona turned her head on him in surprise. “Perhaps you can tell me…”

Yoona glanced at Jonghyun once again to make sure that he didn’t notice anything and finally nodded at Yonghwa.

“A few days ago, Chairman and Madam Lee asked me to meet them.” Yoona started to speak in low voice.

“He didn’t know?”

Yoona shook her head. “I don’t have any choice except not to let him know because actually Chairman and Madam Lee asked me a favour…”

“Ask him to come over the house. The real Lee House here?” Yonghwa completed Yoona’s words as he’s smiling.

“How did you know, Yonghwa-ssi?”

“Because that’s the thing I always tried every year since he left that house. But I never succeed.” Yonghwa grimaced. “Actually I also wanted to ask your help, Doctor Im, but turned out my aunt and my uncle initiated it first… I really hope you can ask him to do it, Yoona. But you have to becareful not to push him too much.”

“Yonghwa-ssi… what is this all about? Honestly I don’t understand…”

Yonghwa stared to Jonghyun who seems like already finished the call. “I’ll tell you later when he’s not around.” He said in one quick breathe and put his expression normal again right when Jonghyun just entered the dining room and sit again.

“Shall we go?”

 

 

 

 

 


hello.

I apologize if this chapter lacks of JongYoon's moments, I need to write all of parts in this chapter although it lacks of their moments because some of parts are important for the next--and also for the unfold (yet) things in this story.

hope you can bear it.

thank you so much for read this story, and I always read your comment guys, thank you so much. makes me feel happy whenever I read those all.

see ya next chapter.