Chapter 17 - An Unfair World

Prescription For Love

Jonghyun went out from his room and furrowed his eyebrows as he heard something from the kitchen. He rushed and found Yoona is already there, busy with so many dishes.

“Good morning.” Yoona greeted him with a smile. “Sorry for barging into your house and even use your kitchen without your permission.”

“Nevermind.” Jonghyun replied with a smile and approached her. “When did you come?”

“About 30 mins ago? I peeked into your room and you’re not in bed. So, I guess you were showering.” Yoona answered. “Here, my Mom made a lot of dishes for you.”

“For me?” Jonghyun raised his eyebrows.

“Who else? My Mom adores you so much, as I said before, you successfully got her heart.” Yoona rolled her eyes. “But I still need to prepare it a little and heat it up.”

“It’s okay. Do you need some help?”

“No, it’s easy, though. By the way, I wanted to make a coffee but seems like you’re running out of it. And I don’t know what kind of coffee that you had before so I didn’t buy one yet…”

“Ah, I’ll go buy it, then. Let me get my car key.”

“Car key?” Yoona asked when Jonghyun is back again, holding his car key and his phone. “But there’s a supermarket below…”

“They didn’t have the coffee that I usually drink.” Jonghyun answered her curiosity. “It’ll only take 30 mins. Is it fine to leave you here alone?”

Yoona grimaced. “Wae? You afraid I’m going to steal your things or what? Go. Take your time. This is also need to be prepared.”

Jonghyun patted Yoona’s head softly. “I’m going. Do you need anything else?”

“No. Just drive safely.”

Jonghyun made an ‘ok’ gesture before he went out. Leaving Yoona alone in his apartment. Since her Mom made a lot of dishes, she also needs time to heat those all up. It only passed around five minutes after Jonghyun left when the doorbell is suddenly ringing, makes her startled. Who is that… she put down the spoon and walked to the living room to check the screen, but she didn’t see anyone. “Who is it…?” she asked through the intercom.

“Lee Jonghyun’s house?” a woman’s voice asked her back, sounds a bit hesitated, probably because that woman is looking for Jonghyun, but she heard Yoona’s voice.

Yoona didn’t have any choice except to open the door. But as soon as she saw the person, she was frozen.

“If my guess is right… are you… by any chance, Doctor Im Yoona…?”

 

 

 

“I apologize, Madam Lee. Actually I just came this morning with a thought of having a breakfast together with him, in case there will be a misunderstood why I was here at this early morning…” Yoona spoke when both of them already sat on the couch. After she regained her sense back, she finally can greet her politely and even explained that Jonghyun is going out right now, they finally ended to sit on the couch.

“Ah I see. You don’t have to apologize, Doctor Im. Actually I don’t have any wrong thought of seeing you here.” Lee Jung Mi answered while kept staring at Yoona. “You can relax a bit, Doctor Im.”

Yoona just smiled awkwardly. Actually she was wondering that perhaps Jonghyun got the powerful, intimidating and hard to read, from his Mom. Because that’s what she feels right now. The feeling is like when she saw Jonghyun for the first time. “Should I call Jonghyun and tell him that Madam Lee is here?”

“No! Please don’t!” Lee Jung Mi responded in a hurry.

“Nee? Oh, Nee, Madam Lee.” Yoona bites her lips, still feel so awkward. Then why she came here if she didn’t want Jonghyun to know that she was here…

“Jonghyun, for sure, didn’t want me to be here, Doctor Im. So please don’t tell him.” Lee Jung Mi spoke again.

“Uhm… I apologize in advance Madam Lee, but, then… if you don’t want to meet Jonghyun… then… why… ah, no. Forgive me, I shouldn’t ask this question.” Yoona took back her words as she realized it might sounds impolite.

“Then why I came here?” Lee Jung Mi completed Yoona’s question. “Honestly, I feel hesitated at first, whether I should come here or not. Actually I expected that I will be rejected, that’s why I choose to ring the bell. I was surprised with the coincidence, Jonghyun isn’t here and also I have a chance to enter this house.” She looked around. “But what makes me very surprised is… I finally had a chance to meet you, Doctor Im. I heard about you a lot from my nephew…”

Nephew…? Then it means… “Jung Yong Hwa-ssi?”

“Yes.” Lee Jung Mi nodded. “Actually I wanted to meet you when I was in hospital, accompany-ing my husband. Although Yonghwa never told me your name, but somehow I managed to know it from other source. But Yonghwa told me that if I want to meet you, I should ask Jonghyun’s permission first. But I can’t get it. That’s why I was surprised, and also maybe feel thankful, because finally I can meet you today, without breaking any ‘rules’…” she stared at Yoona. “Can I ask you a few questions, Doctor Im?”

“Y—yes, Madam Lee…” Yoona answered, feels more uneasy than before.

“Did… Jonghyun already tell you everything about… his life?”

“Yes, Madam Lee…”

Lee Jung Mi looks a bit surprised with Yoona’s answer. “How… how did you manage to break his wall, Doctor Im? I mean… I believe you know what I mean. He build a wall between him and the world. I never thought that one day, someone can enter his world. That’s why I was surprised when I heard that he has you… as his girlfriend. Especially when I know that he told you everything about his life. It makes me wondering… how did you manage to enter his world, Doctor Im?”

“Uhm… actually I also have to admit that he really built a great wall between him and the other people, and even the world, Madam Lee. At first, I already noticed that. And the more I talked or having a conversation with him, I realized how big that wall is. To be honest I never had any thought to break it. At that time, I thought that he has his personal reasons for that. And I don’t want to interrupt it. But… without we realized, we just became closer to each other. But it doesn’t mean he let himself off-guard. Actually I think it was me, who make a move to enter, although I admit it was so hard. He was so persistent to be alone…” Yoona smiled—without she realized it—as she recalled the memory of Jonghyun and her. “I think what makes him finally accept me to ‘see’ his world is because… I didn’t break his wall, Madam Lee. I do believe that no matter how great his wall is, there must be a way to enter without breaking it. So, if I can say, I didn’t break his wall, Madam Lee. I choose to enter through the door, that maybe many people couldn’t see it. But actualy there is. He always has a door, I’m not even sure if he realized it. But I did.”

Lee Jung Mi stared at Yoona with unreadable expression for a while. “I can feel the sincerity in your eyes and your voice, Doctor Im.” She finally spoke again. “Somehow… you reminds me of my son... Jaehyun…” her voice cracked. “I can see the similarity. Both you and Jaehyun always had those adoring-eyes, everytime you talked about Jonghyun…”

“Jonghyun is your son too, Madam Lee.” Yoona didn’t know where did she find the courage to say that but she can’t help it. And for the first time, Yoona finally saw that Lee Jung Mi is smiling a little.

“I guess I have to go right now, Doctor Im. You said that Jonghyun just went to near store. I’m afraid he’ll back in no time.” Lee Jung Mi stood up and walked to the door. “Can you do me a favour, Doctor Im?” she asked.

“Yes, Madam Lee?”

“Please don’t tell Jonghyun that I was here, can you, Doctor Im?”

Yoona was a bit hesitated to answer but she knew she didn’t have any choice except to agree. “Yes, Madam Lee.” She nodded and bowed politely when Lee Jung Mi excused herself, along with the secretary. She waited until they entered the elevator and rushed off towards the house again. Oh jebal… I think it just reduced my age for 10 years… she leaned on the door, as her knees feels so weak. “I wonder what makes her come here… it seems there’s something serious that she need to talk with Jonghyun…” she muttered. “I hope it’s a good thing…”

 

 

 

“Sorry, did I take too long?”

Yoona, who was putting the dishes on the table, shook her head while smiling as she saw Jonghyun just back. “No. Nice timing. I’m done with preparation, also. Have a seat, Jonghyun.” She took the groceries from Jonghyun while pushing his back to the dining chair. “What kind of coffee do you want?”

“You’re going to make it for me?”

“Of course. What kind?”

“Black. No sugar.”

Yoona just tutted her tongue as she prepared the coffee for Jonghyun and her. “No wonder your eyebags are seriously worse. You barely sleep if you drink this kind of coffee…” she nagged but still pouring the one that Jonghyun requested, while Jonghyun just stared at her, looks amusing. “What?”

“No.” Jonghyun shook his head, failed to hide his smile. “I just thought that you’re so cute.”

Although Jonghyun said it simply, but somehow Yoona can feel her heart skipped a beat. She cleared and tried to busy of pouring the coffee for her, just to get rid of her reddened cheeks. “So, do you mean, this is the first time you found me cute?” she asked.

“No.” Jonghyun simply answered while taking a sip of his black coffee, but his eyes kept staring at Yoona. “You often look cute.”

“Often???” Yoona seated herself on the chair in front of Jonghyun while glaring at him. “It’s just ‘often’???”

“Do you expect me to say ‘always’?” Jonghyun looks more amusing. “Why? Your ex-es ever said you’re always cute??”

Yoona snorted. “Always my as—“ her words stopped because she saw Jonghyun raised one of his eyebrows, his usual sign to warn her if she’s going to curse someone or something. “Well, none of them ever said I’m cute. Actually, they always complained that I’m a boring person who didn’t have any aegyo at all.” She pouted.

“It’s good that you’re no longer in relationship with them. They’re too stupid for you.” Jonghyun commented with casual tone, but once again it successfully made Yoona’s heart feels fluttering.

“So, do you mean actually I’m cute?”

“No, what I mean is I’m smart.” Jonghyun laughed. “Kidding. Just kidding.” He added in a hurry because he received slaps on his arms from Yoona. “Of course. Only blind people who can’t see that.”

“You made me blushing, you know.” Yoona happily said as she started to eat the sandwich. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“For complimenting me.”

“I’m not. I’m telling the truth.”

“Stop it. I might die of happiness right now.”

Jonghyun smiled upon hearing Yoona’s words. “Yoona…”

“Hm?”

“Live with me…?”

 

* * *

Jonghyun went out from the elevator when he arrived on VVIP patient’s floor. He fastened his steps when he passed the bodyguards and his father’s staffs, walking straightly to the patient’s room. Actually if he has another option, he’s better not to be here. But since an hour ago, it’s been three times Secretary Han called him, with an order from CEO Lee.

Wondering what kind of crazy thing that he wanted to talk again with me… Jonghyun sighed heavily before he entered that room.

“No! It can’t be happen! What’s going on with them all??? How can they choose that!!”

Jonghyun, who just entered, was totally surprised when he saw the view in front of him. It was his Dad, who’s still half-sitting on the bed, but looks much healthier after the surgery two days ago, his Mom, and Yonghwa. What makes him more surprised is the angry voice before is from Yonghwa, who looks so frustrated. And even more frustrated when he saw Jonghyun was there already.

“Did I enter at the wrong timing?” Jonghyun asked in his formal tone when all attentions him and the room became quiet.

“No.” His Dad is the one who answered him. “Jung Mi, show him the video.”

“What video?”

“Shareholder meeting just ended an hour ago.” His Mom is the one who answered him, while turning on the big screen in front of them, which started to show the meeting in Lee Group Enterprise’s Headquarter. “According to this meeting, we decided to appoint an acting CEO due to condition of CEO Lee right now which need to have a full rest for a month.” His Mom paused and looked at his husband, who signaled him to continue, while Yonghwa looks more pissed off. “And 60% of votes choose you to become the Acting CEO of Lee Enterprise Group…”

“What?”

“It has decided already, Jonghyun. Majority of shareholders agreed to choose you.”

Jonghyun stared at his parents again, still with his poker face. “All of you are already crazy, right?”

“Jonghyun.”

“Totally crazy.”

“Lee Jonghyun, listen.”

“No. What’s wrong with all of you?? Excuse me, but should I remind you that I’m a surgeon, for God’s sake??”

“Jonghyun, all of them agreed to choose you, no matter what’s your background, after all, you’re the next inheritor of Lee Enterp—“

“Next inheritor??” Jonghyun snorted. “Oh c’mon. If you couldn’t handle your company properly, choose one right person, not someone like me.” He said with sarcasm tone in his voice.

“Jonghyun, you know you can’t against the decision.” This time, Lee Jun Ha finally spoke up. “You surely know that when majority in Shareholder Meeting agreed into one decision, then it’s valid. The press conference will be held in an hour. Prepare yourself.”

Jonghyun feels that he couldn’t hold his anger anymore after he heard how heartless the person in front of him. He’s about to blurt it out, but Yonghwa suddenly stood right in front of him. Yonghwa’s expression is just like him and it makes him realized that he’s not the only one who angry towards those heartless people. And also he knew, Yonghwa is powerless as him right now.

“Go meet her first.” Yonghwa said in low tone, clearly also holding his anger, giving him a signal through his eyes. “The press conference will be broadcasted in public. Go tell her first, before she knew it from public again. Beside, you have to admit we couldn’t do anything. It has decided already, Jonghyun. We’ll talk about this later. But don’t make the same mistake at her again.”

Jonghyun just snapped upon hearing Yonghwa’s words. Yoona. Yonghwa is talking about Yoona. And Jonghyun have to admit he’s right. No matter how angry he is, how pissed off he is, but they couldn’t do anything for now. All he can do is to tell her. About what will happen or what’s going on later, he knew he also didn’t have any ideas because of the sudden announcement. these people!! He cursed under his breath. And without even bothering to excuse himself, he left the room, even almost slammed the door, and ran through the hospital to find one person. He took out his phone and started to dial Yoona’s number.

“Yes, Jonghyun?”

“Where are you?” Jonghyun asked, couldn’t hide his tense voice as he walked to the elevator.

“I’m going to cafeteria.”

“I have something to talk.” He entered the elevator and pressed the 3rd floor, which is where the cafeteria at. Fortunately the elevator is going down fast since it’s empty. He ran to the cafeteria and saw Yoona is just about to enter, with her phone is still on her ears. He approached her in a hurry and grabbed her wrist, which makes Yoona surprised because she seems didn’t expected Jonghyun is there already. “Let’s talk in my office. It’s urgent.” And without waiting for her response, he started to walk towards his office, while still grabbed her wrist, he didn’t even care when the staffs stared at them.

“What happened??” Yoona asked in worry expression as she noticed how strange Jonghyun is. “Jonghyun, what’s wrong??”

Jonghyun didn’t answer her straightly. He stared at Yoona for a while and finally stepped forward and hugged her tightly. “I’m sorry…”

“Jonghyun…” Yoona carefully caressed his back as she feels that Jonghyun is trembling. “What’s going on? Are you okay…?” she tried to calm although her heart is beating nervously right now. Somehow she has a bad feeling upon seeing Jonghyun’s expression.

“Why the world is so unfair to me, Yoona…” Jonghyun muttered while burying his face on Yoona’s shoulder. “Why the world never let me feel happy in one place… for a long time…” his voice is shaky.

“W—Wae…?” Yoona tried to maintain her voice. Don’t tell me this is a bad news, God. Please don’t…

Jonghyun broke the hug, but still holding his shoulder with his two hands as he faced her. His eyes were reddened. He has to say it right now although he really didn’t want to. “Yoona… They appointed me to be the ing Acting CEO…”

“…of Lee Enterprise Group.”

“No way…” that’s the only first response that Yoona can let out since she’s too shocked. She searched Jonghyun’s eyes, trying to find out that he’s joking right now, but her worst nightmare is happening when she saw Jonghyun’s eyes look so hurtful. “Explain me…” she spoke again as her lips are already trembling.

“Due to CEO Lee’s condition… he still needs a few treatment so he needs to take a rest for a month… and of course the company have to appoint an Acting CEO due to the condition…”

“And they choose you?” Yoona asked in disbelief. “For real??” she asked, unconsciously raised her voice. “Why, Jonghyun??? Why it has to be you??”

“Because they’re ing crazy!” Jonghyun answered, full of anger. “Just because I’m the son of their CEO doesn’t mean that I have to replace him!! I don’t understand, Yoona. I don’t understand what happened with them all!!!” Jonghyun released Yoona’s shoulder from his grip and turned his back at Yoona. “What’s wrong with them all… I never get involved with any of them, just to make it clear that I don’t want to be part of them. But why…” his voice is getting lower. And Yoona knew he barely held his tears. “Why they disturbed my life, why they created a mess in my life… when I started to feel happiness for a longer time… It’s always like that…”

Yoona was silent. She also felt that why it’s always unfair for him, but she just couldn’t say it out. I might make him feel even worse… Beside, I’m not even okay with this… This is just… too much for him…

Jonghyun was also silent for a while until he finally turned again, and Yoona was right, he actually tried to hide his tears, and although his eyes are a bit teary but seems like he hold it, not to shed any tears. “Yoona…” he caressed Yoona’s hairs softly. “The reason why I told you straight away because I don’t want to repeat my mistake like before. And also… probably this is the time I should remind you again, Yoona…”

“R—remind me of what?” Yoona feels is completely dry.

“This is too much for you, even for me. And…” he paused, totally looked so burdened, sad, hurtful at the same time. “You can leave me, Yoona. I know this situation might already broke out your limit. And…” he gulped, hard to continue his words. “I don’t want to drag your life into a mess which created because of what happened in my life, anymore. I know this is not the relationship that you wanted for. So…” he let out a heavy breath. “You can continue your own life happily, Yoona. No need to be bothered by my messy life anymore…” he tried to smile although his eyes and his voice are telling the opposite. He patted Yoona’s head softly. “You deserve to be happy, not be like this...”

Yoona just kept stared at him without letting out any voices, but her tears are started to drop.

Jonghyun wiped the tears gently with his thumb. “Well, as you know, no matter how hard I tried to reject it, I have no power, Yoona, especially when the majority choose the opposite with what I want. Business life is too harsh, I think.” He grimaced, although his eyes became more reddened. “That’s why, I think, maybe it’s time, Yoona. It’s time to end what happened between us…” he wiped Yoona’s tears again. “Promise me you have to be happy like before…”

“Like before…?” that’s the only words Yoona can let out since she’s hardly to speak between her tears.

“Before I entered your life.” Jonghyun smiled again, in opposite with the tears that about to drop from the corner of his eyes. He cleared his throat. “I apologize, Yoona. And… thank you so much.” He finally couldn’t hold his tears any longer, and at the same time he leaned forward and captured Yoona’s lips with a kiss.

 

 

 


Hi :)

sorry for the twist again, as I already said before.

thank you so much for you who keep support this story ^^

see ya in next chapter