Chapter 3 - Shadow of the Past

Prescription For Love

Yoona frowned at the xray scan in her pc screen. Actually what kind of disease that he has… Since yesterday, she already tried to figure out any diagnose but no one can seem matched well. It seems like there’s something that she missed out. Honestly, she’s been well known as a smart pediatrician. She always diagnosed accurately. But this one is a bit uncommon and complicated. Even after she researched a lot, she still couldn’t find out because everytime she came with a diagnose, she knows that something is missing.

She already contacted Professor Han, chief of Pediatrician Department, but he’s out of contact because of long flight to US. She can only contacted him at least a few hours later. And it stressed out her so much. Since the condition is urgent. She also already discussed it with the other pediatricians but since this case is very rare, they’re unsure about it too and need more time to figure it out.

“Doctor Im, someone is looking for you.” Minhyuk’s head—one of the intern—is showing on the door. With a grin on his face.

Yoona nodded without asking for more and went out from her room. As soon as she went out, she saw the handsome tall vampire guy is waiting for her. While the other interns and residents of Pediatrician Departments were staring at him with adore eyes.

“Doctor Im. Sorry for troubling you.” Jonghyun gave him a polite expression—well it can’t be counted as smile because his lips only moved not even an inch. “Actually I just want to give this document to Pediatrician Department and to inform that we’re ready to perform the transplantation for your patient. We’ve already done with medical exam for her condition and it has done well.” He said while giving a stack of files. “I wanted to give the doctors here but they say it’s better for me to give you directly.” He slightly smiled when the other doctors who were mentioned are grinning innocently.

“Thank you Doctor Lee. We might still need two days to make our patient ready to get the transplantation. We’ll let you know right away when we’re ready.” Yoona smiled thankfully.

“You’re welcome, Doctor Im. Then, I’ll take my leave.” He bowed his head to Yoona and the other doctors, but before he went out, something suddenly came across Yoona’s mind.

“Doctor Lee! Wait!”

Jonghyun stopped his walk and turned to Yoona, just like the others who looks curiously. “Yes?”

“Uhm… can you help us a bit?”

Jonghyun turned around and face Yoona. “What kind of help?”

“Well. We’re facing a rare case right now of one of our patient. We’re in the middle to figure it out. But since we only have  a very very short time, and our professors couldnt be reached for now, I might need other doctor’s help for this.”

“And?”

“Well, you’re from NY Hospital, Doctor Lee. Do you know some good pediatricians that I can asked for help there? Maybe they have some experiences before with this kind of case.” Yoona explained.

Jonghyun thought for a while until he finally turned to Yoona again. “Excuse me, Doctor Im. Can you explain to me that case, if you don’t mind? So I can straightly ask about that case to my friends.”

Yoona and the other doctors who were there turned bright when they heard Jonghyun’s answer. “Sure. Doctor Kang, can you show Doctor Lee the xray scan?” she turned to Minhyuk. “And please take a seat, Doctor Lee.”

“Yes, doctor. Please wait for a minute.” Minhyuk nodded and in a few minutes later, the xray scan already showed on the big screen.

Jonghyun listened to Yoona and the other’s explanation of the current condition of the patient while his eyes were locked on the screen.

“Wait.” Jonghyun suddenly cutted Yoona’s explanation. “He’s having a hard time to swallow?”

“Yes.” Yoona nodded while looking curiously at Jonghyun. I even didnt say anything about that yet... “Some of us thinks that it might be a thyroiditis but we’re not sure...”

“Can I borrow your laptop for a moment, Doctor Im?”

“Ah, of course.” Although she still didnt understand what Jonghyun is trying to do, she handled the white laptop to him.

It tooks around fifteen minutes until Jonghyun finally stopped from his activity and looked at the others. “Pyriform Sinus Fistula.”

“Eh??” Yoona was the first to react when she heard Jonghyun’s diagnose, while the others still looks confused with the term that Jonghyun just said. “That’s a very very rare, Doctor Lee. I... I even only ever read the outline from some thesis... but never so detailed since it’s very rare...” she mumbled while staring at the screen-half amazed. “But what makes you think that it’s PSF?”

“I’ve ever faced the same case, Doctor Im. Just one. But they really look alike. I’ve read the medical record and all the data and the signs are matched exactly. The xray scan is even similar.” Jonghyun answered while still busily staring at the laptop screen. “That’s only my diagnose, Doctor Im. I’ll call my pediatrician friend in NY. You can fully trust his diagnose rather than me.” He smiled a little. “I’ll send the thesis which explained deta—“ suddenly his talking was interrupted because of handphone ringtone. He took out the phone from his pocket. “Yes, Doctor Seo? Alright.” He ended the phone in a hurry and looked at Yoona and the others with an apologize expression. “Sorry, It’s emergency patient. You can call my friend in NY.” He wrote something on the paper and handed it to Yoona. “I’m very sure he already faced this kind of case. Then, excuse me.” And without waiting for Yoona and her team’s responses, he already left by almost running.

“Doctor Im...” Minhyuk finally let out a voice after Jonghyun left. “Actually what kind of specialist Doctor Lee is? How could he’s so smart like that?” he looked disbelief and amazed at the same time.

“I dont know...” Yoona shook her head, still in amazed, just like the others. “Daebak. Let’s call the doctor in NY, Minhyuk-ah...” she gave the paper which Jonghyun just written a phone number on it.

“Yes, Doctor Im.”

* * *

 

“Nurse Cha, did you see Doctor Lee?” Yoona asked the nurse who’s in charge for Surgical Department. She just on her way to Surgical office room, but she passed a nurse that she knows.

“I dont see him, Doctor Im.” Nurse Cha shook her head. “The latest operation has done thirty minutes ago. But it didnt go well...”

Yoona tilted her head. “Didn’t go well? Museun...?”

“It’s an emergency patient who had an accident at the steel factory. Doctor Lee  decided to perform thoracotomy since it’s the only way to save the patient. But the patient couldn’t bear it anymore...” Nurse Cha answered with low voice. “The patient’s family already accepted it. Doctor Lee and the others already performed their best, but it was too late. If only the patient came few minutes earlier...”

Yoona bites her lips as she heard the story, showing her condolence. Honestly, performing a thoracotomy is something which required a high level skill. Although she just manage to know Jonghyun a few days ago, but somehow she feels that Jonghyun already reached that level. Back then, Doctors are still human... We always perform our best, but we’re not the one who determine life and death of the patients...

“Oh, maybe Doctor Lee is on the roof top on the west building, Doctor Im.” Nurse Cha continued to talk. “I ever accidentally met him there when I was about to get some fresh air since that’s the highest building...”

Yoona nodded. “Okay, I’ll go there. Thank you, Nurse Cha.” She then rushed to the west building and took the elevator to go to the rooftop. It needs a two-floor-staircase until she finally managed to be there. Fortunately Nurse Cha is right. Jonghyun was on the other side of the rooftop. He was standing while looking straightly—or looks like blankly. She approached him carefully. “Uhm... annyeonghaseyo, Doctor Lee.”

Jonghyun turned around and looks a bit surprised when he noticed Yoona already stood behind him. “Oh, Doctor Im. Mian, I don’t notice you...”

“I’m just here a few seconds ago, actually.” Yoona smiled. “I’ve spent almost six years in this hospital, but this is the first time I went here. And I regret it, how could I didnt notice that this kind of place does exist...” Yoona talked while walking to stand beside Jonghyun, looking at the view in front of them, which showing some of Seoul from above.

“The first day I moved here, this is the third place that I ask the direction of.”

“Hm? What is the first and second?”

“Chief’s office room and General Surgical Department office room.” Jonghyun answered. “I used to spend my free time on the rooftop when I was in NY Hospital. That’s why I look out for the similar place here. Fortunately there it is.”

“My condolence for your patient, Doctor Lee.” Yoona suddenly talked straightly. “I heard it from Nurse Cha.”

Jonghyun was silent for a moment before he responded. “Thank you for your concern, Doctor Im.” He answered with low voice and turned silent again.

“How’s the patient’s family?”

Jonghyun sighed loudly before he answered. “He left his wife with two children.”

“How old are they?”

“One is senior high school and one is junior high.”

“It must be hard for them. But at least, they’re already old enough to understand and to accept the fact.” Yoona muttered. “Did I hear the news right, Doctor Lee? That you performed thoracotomy?”

“Yes, but still it’s a failure since I couldn’t save the patient, Doctor Im. To be honest, this is the umpteenth time I’ve performed thoracotomy but this is the first time I’ve failed.” Jonghyun inhaled a deep breathe and exhaled it loudly. “I know the probability of success is only 10% but I still have to do it because ten percent is better than zero percent. Be honest, Doctor Im, right now I might look like a first year intern who still couldn’t manage the feeling when facing a death of the patient, right?”

“You’re not making any mistakes, Doctor Lee.” Yoona said while staring at Jonghyun. “And if you were like this, then it’s a good thing. Sometimes Doctor even already lose their human feeling. They called it profesional, but professional doesn’t mean like that. As I told you that my father is a surgeon, maybe half of his life is being used to see people die in his hands. And until now, when his patient is dead, at least he needs few minutes to calm himself, Doctor Lee. Just like you. That kind of thing will never change eventhough the time has passed.” Yoona gave him a sincere smile. “It can be your reminder too, that you’re not only a doctor, you’re also a human being.”

Jonghyun stared for a while at Yoona until he finally let out a smile. “Thank you, Doctor Im. It feels better.”

“You’re welcome.” Yoona replied his smile with a nice smile too. Oh God, he really has such a killer and beautiful eyes...

“By the way, Doctor Im. Why you were searching for me?” Jonghyun changed the topic. “You said before that you were looking for me.”

“Ah, right!” Yoona grimaced. “I almost forgot. Honestly, I want to say thank you, Doctor Lee.”

“For what?”

“For your help. And your amazing diagnose. After I talked with your friend, we’re now very sure that it’s PSF.” Yoona explained. “We already talked to Pediatric Surgical Department and seems like it will be fine, both counterparts are ok to do a surgery very soon too. Thanks to you, Doctor Lee.”

“No. My friend is the one who helped you, Doctor Im.” Jonghyun smiled politely.

“Yes, and you’re the first to diagnose that it’s PSF.” Yoona nodded. “By the way, can I ask you something, Doctor Lee? Because all of us are so curious right now.”

“What is it?”

“Did you ever study about Pediatric? I mean, PSF is not something common to hear, even in the entire world. How did you know that right away? And to be added, it’s related to pediatric. While we know that you’re a general surgeon.”

“I’ve spent my first year residency mostly as pediatric surgeon. Second year, mostly in neuro and general.” Jonghyun answered while smiling.

“Then why you choose general after all?” Yoona kept asking curiously.

“To save people?” Jonghyun tilted his head while slightly smile. And somehow it makes Yoona didnt ask for more.

Seems like there’s another reason which he didnt want to say to me... Well, after all, that’s his privacy... “But you only needs fifteen minutes to figure out the illness.” Yoona continued to praise him. “Jjang!”

Jonghyun just smiled silently upon hearing Yoona’s compliment. “You’re welcome, Yoona.”

“Huh?” Yoona tilted her head, surprised. Did he just call my name?

“I think you were saying thank you before?” Jonghyun’s slight smile appeared again.

“Yes. Of course. I mean, did you just call my name?”

“Yes. Can’t I?”

“It’s okay, of course.” Yoona grinned. “Honestly, I already wanted to drop honorific since beginning but you really have that kind of intimidating aura, that’s why I’m a bit scared.” She honestly spoke out while laughing. “So, it’s Jonghyun? We shared the same age right?”

Jonghyun nodded. He then turned to his watch. “Well, the next operation will begin in fifteen minutes. Seems like I have to excuse myself first.”

“Sure.” Yoona nodded. “I’ll stay here for a few minutes more.” She smiled.

“Then, see you.”

 


 

“Doctor Im, who is that vampire doctor?” Jae Kang, a six year old boy and also her patient asked when Yoona was examining him that morning. He was taking a bedrest after recovering from the stomach surgery.

Yoona put down the stetoscope and followed Jaekang’s eye direction and found the familiar figure outside the patient’s room that was talking with the nurse. Her lips formed a smile as she noticed who’s the one that Jaekang is talking about.

“His name is Doctor Lee. And he’s a human, not a vampire.” She explained while exchanging an amused smile with Jaekang’s mother who was there too.

“Doctor Lee... is he a doctor for children, too? Just like Doctor Im?” Jaekang continued to ask while still looking at Jonghyun.

“No, he’s not. He is a surgeon. He performs operations in operating room. Just like the doctors who helped you before transferred here.” Yoona gave him a nice smile. “Waeyo?”

“He’s so cool, Doctor.” Jaekang innocently answered, earning a giggle from Yoona.

“Do you want me to introduce you to him, Jaekang-ah?” Yoona asked, which was responded by a nod from Jaekang. “Arasseo, wait a moment, okay?” she smiled and went out from the room to call Jonghyun.

“Doctor Lee.”

Jonghyun, who was talking with one of the nurse from Surgical Department, turned around. “Oh, Yoona.”

Oh, he doesnt forget about the honorific-drop. “Annyeong. Oraemaniya.” Yoona warmly greeted him. Well, it almost a week since their last talk at the roof top.

“It’s been a long time,” Jonghyun chuckled. “What’s the matter, Doctor Im?”

“Ah mian, did I disturb you? Actually, one of my patient saw you from afar, and he said he wanted to meet you.” Yoona explained.

Jonghyun raised his eyebrows. “May I ask why?”

Yoona shrugged her shoulders while smiling. “He said you look so cool.”

Jonghyun continued to chuckle upon hearing Yoona’s answer. “Becoming a pediatrician must have a lot of fun, right? Then where is he?”

“He’s in the ward #3,” Yoona pointed at the room behind them. “His name is Jaekang. He’s in the recovery state after the stomach surgery last week.

Jonghyun followed Yoona’s step until they stopped in front of the bed in the corner. “Jaekang-ah, this is Doctor Lee. Doctor Lee, this is Jaekang. A brave boy who successfully recovered from the operation.” Yoona introduced them.

Jonghyun bent his upper body a little. “Annyeong, Jaekang-ah.” He smiled widely at Jaekang. “Nice to meet you. And congratulation for your recovery.”

“An-annyeonghaseyo, Doctor Lee.” Jaekang politely bowed his head and stared at Jonghyun with adored eyes. “Kim Jaekang imnida.”

“Wah, such a polite boy.” Jonghyun ruffled Jaekang’s hairs. “Doctor Im said that you wanted to meet me, waeyo?”

“I want to be a doctor, like Doctor Lee.” Jaekang answered with full of energy. “Can you teach me, Doctor?”

Jonghyun, Yoona and even the nurses and the parents who listening to them were grinning when they heard Jaekang’s innocent words. “Why do you want to become a doctor?

“Because they helped so many people. I want to be like that, too.” Jaekang said. “And I want to become like Doctor Lee.”

“Me? Waeyo?”

“Doctor Lee is very handsome. I want to be like Doctor Lee. Handsome and smart.”

Jonghyun chuckled upon hearing Jaekang’s innocent answer. “Arasseo. Of course you have to become a handsome and smart doctor. You have to study diligently until you pass the Medical school. After that, come to me if you want to become my student, okay? Although I might not that handsome anymore because I’m getting older...”

“Gwaenchanayo, Doctor Lee. I promise I’ll become Doctor Lee’s student!”

“Arasseo. Then let’s make a promise, okay?” Jonghyun offered his pinky-promise-fingers. “You have to become a very great doctor, promise?”

“Yes, Doctor Lee!” Jaekang answered happily.

 

 

 

“I never know you have a very kind side towards children...” Yoona said as they left the patient’s room.

“Do I look that bad in your eyes, Doctor Im?” Jonghyun asked back with furrowed eyebrows.

Yoona laughed as she heard Jonghyun’s words. “That’s your fault. You give me not-so-good first impression.”

“Now I regret it.” Jonghyun slightly smiled. “By the way, Doctor Im. Didn’t we agree to drop the honorific?”

Yoona stopped her walk and facing Jonghyun while folding her arms. “Excuse me? Who’s the one calling me Doctor Im since a while ago?”

“Ah, I remember someone just called me Doctor Lee when she wanted to introduce me to her patient.”

“Okay, I lost.” Yoona raised her hand while laughing.

“Uh-oh, what is it? The two lovebirds?” someone’s voice suddenly interrupted them. And it’s none other than Jonghoon, who was approaching them with big grin on his face. “So, when will I get a dinner treat?”

Jonghyun frowned. “Dinner treat for what, hyung?”

“For you two. Celebrating as a new couple.”

Yoona rolled her eyes. “Just forget him, Jonghyun. He’s crazy as usual.”

“Yya, Im Yoona.” Jonghoon playfully patted Yoona’s head with the files that he’s holding. “By the way, it’s not my real intention to interrupt you guys, it’s just because someone is looking for you, Jong.”

“Who?”

“I don’t know.” Jonghoon shrugged his shoulder. “I just tell you what Nurse Rae told me when I passed by. Because you’re nowhere to be found. The person is waiting for you at the front hall.”

“Arasseo, thank you, hyung. Then please excuse me first, Yoona, hyung.” Jonghyun smiled at Yoona and patted Jonghoon’s shoulder before he headed to the elevator to go down.

“Sorry to ruin your date.” Jonghoon showed Yoona a big grin on his face.

“Why I feel like want to curse you?”

“Because of what? Ruining your date?”

“Because you’re so loud, Jonghoon.” Yoona stucked out her tongue at him.

“Yya, it’s oppa!”

 

* * *

 

Meanwhile in the café near Hanhwa hospital, Jonghyun was sitting with a guy and a woman while having a cup of coffee.

“So after you dragged me here, can you tell me the reason why you two suddenly appear?” Jonghyun asked after he took a sip of his Americano. “I don’t know you’re in Seoul too, Daniel?” he stared at the guy in front of him, who looks half Korean.

“Just arrived last night.” The guy named Daniel answered. “I heard from Tiffany that he bumped into you few days ago.”

“World is so small, isn’t it?” Jonghyun grimaced. “But, I’m still on my question? Why you two are searching for me?”

Daniel raised his head and stared at Tiffany for a second before he finally looked at Jonghyun. “You can marry Tiffany now, John.”

 

 

 

 

 


 

thank you so much for reading and stay with this story ^^

love you all.

see you next chapt