Chapter 22 - The Hidden Pain

Prescription For Love

Yoona watched as the car stopped at the grand entrance of a home—more like a palace. A line up maids even already stood along the entrance until the front door to greet them. Although they put a polite expression, but actually Yoona noticed the shocked and surprise expression that they tried to hide from their faces. Some of them even couldn’t hide their teary eyes and even their tears of happiness. It’s normal to have that kind of reaction when they noticed the sudden appearance of their young master who never came to that house since few years ago.

Yoona already informed Yonghwa beforehand—with acknowledge from Jonghyun—that’s why the maids already prepared beforehand.

She turned at Jonghyun, who just went out from the car with stiff expression. He stared at the house with unreadable expression but somehow Yoona knew that it was like his memories of this house are hitting him hardly.

Jonghyun stopped his walk when they entered the house, because someone is waiting for them inside.

“Welcome home, Young Master Jonghyun.” A lady—whom looked already in her middle 50s—welcomed them with a bow, clearly holding herself not to show any emotion. Seems like she’s the head of assistant in this house. “And Young Lady.”

“Anny…” Jonghyun’s voice cracked as he mentioned the name. He stepped forward and hugged the woman in front of him.

“Long time no see you, Young Master.” The woman named Anny hugged him back while caressed Jonghyun’s back continously. “It’s been a very long time I didn’t say that words. Thank you, Young Master, for coming back and let us see your face again…” she said between her sobs.

Jonghyun knew right when he stepped into this house, Anny will be the one that welcomed him. And she hasn’t even changed since last time she greeted him nine years ago. For him—and Jaehyun—Anny is more than a head assistant in this house.

“Our Young Master has grown up so well.” Anny said with proud eyes when Jonghyun finally got a hold of himself. “We thought that you already forgot about this house… and us…” she said while wiping her tears. While Jonghyun is still hugging her shoulder, although he also couldn’t hide his tears. The memories are hitting him so hard—but for the first time, he realized he missed those moments. Those moments when he and Jaehyun are still young while nagging at Anny. He wiped his tears away and turned at Yoona, who were watching them with teary eyes. He extended his free hand to reach her and pulled her closer.

“There is someone who wanted to meet you.” He said, still with his shaky voice. “My girlfriend.”

Yoona bowed at Anny and smiled. “Hi, Mrs. Wright. I’m Yoona. Im Yoona. I heard a lot about you from Jonghyun.”

Anny’s eyes suddenly got brightened when she saw Yoona. She bowed properly to Yoona and stared at her with adoring and happy eyes at the same time. “I apologize for my rude behavior of not welcoming you first, Young Lady.” She bowed politely. “I’m Anny. The head house-maid of Lee Family’s main house in New York. It’s a honor to meet you, Young Lady.”

“You can talk casually with me, Anny.” Yoona smiled again. “Please just call me Yoona. I will also call you Anny. Can I?”

Anny was fully smiled when she bowed her head. “Of course you can call me Anny, Young Lady.”

“She won’t call you by name, trust me. She’s very strict. Imagine, I lived with her for years and until now she always called me Young Master Jonghyun.” Jonghyun’s words made Yoona grimaced. “She is beautiful, isn’t she?” He asked Anny.

“Young Lady is. She is very beautiful. The moment I saw her, I thought I was seeing a celebrity…” Anny nodded in agreement. Seems like she really likes Yoona since the first time she saw her, her eyes showed it all. “God is very kind towards us. Just this early morning, when we went to visit Young Master Jaehyun, we prayed for both of our Young Master. We also prayed that we wished to meet our Young Master Jonghyun because we missed him so much. Actually we also watched and read all news about Young Master Jonghyun in Korea. We knew that our Young Master already had a girlfriend that’s why we also prayed that we could have a chance, at least once, to meet her also. And in the same day, God has just granted all of our wishes.” She said happily. “And we already expected how beautiful Young Master Jonghyun’s girlfriend will be, but I think Young Lady is far beyond our expectation. She is very beautiful and kind hearted.”

Jonghyun smiled—for the first time he smiled since he was off to here. “She is.” His hand moved to hold Yoona’s hands. “Do you want to take a seat?”

“Oh, I apologize for behavior of me and all of maids here, Young Lady. Please tell us what you and Young Master need. We will serve you right away.” Anny said while following with the appearance of the maids.

Yoona turned to Jonghyun and found that he was looking around. His expression is unreadable but looks bitter. Perhaps the memory of the house is playing on his head right now. Yoona moved closer to him. “You should take a rest a little. Do you want to rest in your room?” she asked softly. “You don’t look good.” She said in worry tone since she felt Jonghyun’s hands were trembling since he held her hands.

“You can use your room, Young Master.”

“No.” Jonghyun cutted Anny’s words in a hurry, although he looks hardly to speak. “Do you want to see Jaehyun’s room?”

“I can do it myself if you feel unab—“

“Let’s go.”

 

 

 

Yoona followed Jonghyun’s step quietly as they walked through the house. Sometimes she took a glance at his face to make sure he’s still alright. She knew Jonghyun is pushing too hard on himself right now. She knew he’s fighting his own PTSD right now. She knew because she could feel how cold and trembling his hands, which holding her hand tightly right now. She kept walking quietly as she realized how big the house is—contrary with the silence that filled in this house. She even just realized that in the main hall, there is a very big family picture is hanging on there. Perhaps it was taken when the twins were in high school. Her heart aches as she saw how brightful and lovely those people in the picture, including Jonghyun. Beside the family picture, there are also three pictures, one is for CEO and Madam Lee, and the other two are for Jonghyun and Jaehyun themselves. When she passed the picture, she stopped her walk and stared at them. I doubt he never laughed like this since six years ago until now… she talked in her mind as she stared at Jonghyun’s picture.

“This is my room…” Jonghyun spoke with husky voice as they arrived on the second floor. “I guess you want to visit this first…” he said as he stared at the door. Seems like doubting his own mind until he finally took a deep sigh and reached the door knob. It’s very big to be called as bedroom. And the first thing that Yoona noticed is this room has two floors. Seems like Jonghyun’s bed is on the second floor of his room since she didn’t saw a bed there. The scent of the room is totally like his apartment, a mix of citrus and patchouli. The theme of that room is simply white, just like his apartment in Seoul and even NY. She noticed a grand piano and some guitars were there. She wanted to ask but she restrained herself, waiting until Jonghyun is the one who spoke up first. She stared at him, who was standing still and looked at the whole room.

“Nothing has change…” it was his first word after a long silence. “Seems like the maids keep cleaning it regularly…”

With a hope that the owner may return soon… Yoona continued Jonghyun’s words soundlessly. She tried not to show her concerned and sad face. “I never knew you’re good at playing these instruments…” she pointed at the piano and guitars.

“I never touched any instruments for these six years…” Jonghyun shook his head with bitter smile.

“But still… you’re awesome.” Yoona purely praised him and gave him a smile. “You also owned a lot of books.”

“Yeah. Mostly manga…”

“And books about business, financial, and management…” Yoona continued his words as she read the title of the books which arranged in a bookshelves neatly. “What is on the second floor then?”

“My bed and shower room.”

“Ah…” Yoona nodded in understand and continue to explore the room. “And what’s inside?” she tilted her head to a door which not that far from the ‘gaming area’.

“Wardrobe.” Jonghyun approached the door and opened the door for Yoona. Actually it’s not simply a ‘wardrobe’. The room is just like a dressing room for a chaebol. It was Yoona’s thought when she noticed that all of the things inside, such as shirts, tshirts, suits, shoes, watch, jacket, etc are all well-known branded with high price. She came closer and noticed there’s something strange with all those things. She even took a look at each kind of things there and found the similarity. She wanted to say it out but she saw Jonghyun isn’t there. From her view, she could see that he was standing while looking at the bookshelves outside—and Yoona couldn’t read what’s on his mind right now. So, she decided to keep her thought to herself for now.

“Can I go to Jaehyun’s room?”

Jonghyun let out a heavy breathe before he turned to Yoona. “Let’s go.”

Jaehyun’s room is on the same floor, but it took a long walk before they reached it. Yoona doubted she could walk by herself without getting lost in this house. It’s totally like a castle, in a modern way.

After they crossed a garden—she couldn’t even understand how come a garden existed in second floor—they finally arrived in front of a white door. Jonghyun stopped suddenly without reaching the knob. “This is his room.”

Yoona stared at his face, and caressed his arms softly. “You know, you can wait for me outside if you can’t enter. Don’t force yourself…”

Jonghyun took a deep breathe before he shook his head. “Let’s go inside.” He reached the knob with his trembling hands and opened it.

A scent of sandalwood greeted them as soon as the door opened. If Jonghyun’s room is like a modern simple one and full of white themed, then Jaehyun’s room is a combination of white and light wood theme. But the same thing that caught Yoona’s eyes is, both of those rooms are just look like being left for temporary with their own owners. It feels like their owners are just went out for a while and will return very soon. And that thought made Yoona feels a bit pity—and she wasn’t sure whom that pity for.

She stepped in—realizing that Jonghyun is standing still in front of the door, but she let him like that. She didn’t want to force him or else. That’s why she didn’t say anything or trying to talk with him until he managed to control himself. He needs time, that’s what she thought as she started to walk around.

The first door inside that room, is the same like Jonghyun’s room, a wardrobe. Yoona entered and stunned with what she just saw. She checked around to make sure as her brain started to make a conclusion. She stopped walking and took a deep breathe as she feels that her eyes are getting teary. There are so many people here who live in pain… She thought and decided to step out to explore the other side. She noticed that Jonghyun is not there. She looked around but only her who’s in the room. She sighed, it might be too hard for him... She thought and decided to explore a bit more before went outside to find him.

Compared to Jonghyun’s books, Jaehyun has… probably multiple books than Jonghyun has owned. He must be surely like to read books. Yoona thought as she saw one side of that room which just filled with bookshelves. It took her a while to find out which books that written by Jaehyun. She took a book with J.L name has written on it as the author and smiled. So, he really went anonymous when he wrote the books…

Yoona took one of those books randomly. As she opened the first page, she stunned when she saw a handwritten on that.

 

“Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it...”

 

Yoona frowned as she read it. It sounds like a popular quote that he just quoted from somewhere but somehow she felt a bit… strange when she read it. Perhaps because he’s no longer in this world… maybe if he’s still here right now, then it may just showed like what quote should be shown… She closed the book and took another one to look whether there is a quote on it also or not.

 

“The truth is rarely pure and never simple…”

 

This one, Yoona acknowledged the quote. It was Oscar Wilde’s quote from The Importance of Being Earnest. She put back the book on the bookshelves. Perhaps it was his style… to write a quote in his book. She thought as she started to look at the other books there. He has so many kind of books. Different with Jonghyun, who only had books about business, finance, management, gaming and comics. As for Jaehyun, it was like a mini bookstore who has a lot of books with different kinds. Although she could see that there is one kind which dominated almost half of the bookshelves. And those are about Medical. Some of the books are very familiar with her, although there are a few books that Yoona just saw for the first time. Seems like he was aiming to be a heart surgeon. I wonder why Jonghyun choose to be an emergency and general surgeon, rather than it, Yoona talked in her mind as her eyes fell into a book which attracted her right away. At first, she wasn’t aware that book is different, it looks similar with the other medical books there, but when she accidentally saw it and focused to read the title of that book—which was written in small fonts—she just realized that it’s a book about finance.

And why he put it here? In the middle of Medical books? She thougt curiously and reached out that book. She flipped the page, expecting to find another quote on the first page, but there was none. Seems like it’s not his own book… She thought and flipped randomly the book. And that’s when she found a handwritten on the last page of the book which made her stunned once again.

 

[email protected]

what is the most precious for me?

 

Yoona already forgot how many minutes has passed as she was standing there, staring at the handwritten, while trying to figure what’s the meaning of it. She was completely lost in her mind when a sound suddenly was heard, made her almost jumped out of surprised. She looked around but no one was there. She furrowed her eyebrows as the sound was heard again and made her spontaneously looked at the stairs to the second floor. She’s very sure that’s where the sound comes from. She closed the book in her hand, still carrying it, and carefully went upstairs. But she suddenly stopped before she reached the second floor. The view in front of her is too painful to watch.

Jonghyun is there—he must be made his way to there when Yoona was exploring the wardrobe, that’s why she didn’t notice him—sitting on the floor beside the bed while crying and sobbing painfully. His face was buried between his legs and arms. On his right hand, there is a white frame. Seems like a frame that was put on the end table beside the bed. Yoona stood there silently, as her tears started to drop because it hurts her even more when she saw him in pain like this. She already saw him crying a few times, but he always did it silently. He never sobbed so hard like this. That’s why she also can’t contain her tears anymore. Seeing him sobbing and crying like a sad kid, she totally didn’t know what to do. She wanted to run and hugged him, but she knew it’s not the time she interrupted.

From where she stood, she can barely see what picture on the frame that Jonghyun was holding. It was a picture of both of them, seems like it was taken in front of their cars. Perhaps, the cars that also involved in the accident.

Yoona went down as she can’t manage to see him crying in so much pain like that. She decided to wait for him outside. As she went out from the room and looking for the stairs that they used before, she met Anny who looks like already waited for them. She offered a tissue for Yoona as she guided her to sat on the couch. Another maid just came and served two glass of water.

“Young Master Yonghwa asked me to tell Young Lady the situation before the late Young Master Jaehyun left this world… and also before Young Master Jonghyun stepped out from this house…” Anny started to speak when she saw Yoona finally calmed herself. “Is it okay to tell you, Young Lady? Or do you need more time?”

“No,” Yoona shook her head. “I’m okay, Anny. Please tell me everything about them.”

Anny took a deep breath before she spoke again. “I’m serving Lee Family since both of my Young Master aren’t born yet. It was a long awaiting from the family, Young Lady. And finally they were gifted with two handsome babies at once. All of us were so happy and blissful. We watched them grow together. And just like the other twins, they sometimes fought, but they will reconcile very soon. Young Master Jonghyun has a very bright character. He always seems very cheerful from time to time. His laugh is very loud. When they’re playing, he will be the loudest one. He’s also very active. I remember he broke three antique flower vases in two months.” Anny slightly smiled, which also made Yoona smiled a little, trying to imagine the little Jonghyun. “On the other side, Young Master Jaehyun is a bit quiet than his brother. He’s very calm. He didn’t talk much, but still so warmhearted. He also has many things to get scared of, including thunder. When there’s a heavy rain with thunder, he will run to his brother. Young Master Jonghyun is only a few minutes older than Young Master Jaehyun, but he always took a good care towards his younger brother. When they were around six years old, Young Master Jaehyun has been hospitalized for almost a month. It seems there’s a genetics problem, and made him tend to get sick easier than Young Master Jonghyun. He got the best treatment from the hospital for regularly, perhaps until he entered junior high. But since that time, Master and Madam Lee gave more attention to Young Master Jaehyun. On the other side, Young Master Jonghyun never had any problem with that since he’s also worried about his twin’s condition. Actually, Young Master Jaehyun is not like a weak people or something like that. He looks perfectly fine. It’s just, for example, when it’s winter, he will catch a cold easily than Jonghyun. Just like that…” Anny paused for a while. “Then, when they entered high school, they have two friends who often came here. One of them is Miss Tiffany. Seems like both of my young master attracted to this girl. But later I found that she became Young Master Jaehyun’s girlfriend. Nothing has changed after that. They’re still playing together, four of them. Until one day… that accident happened…”

“Anny…” Yoona touched that woman’s hands softly. “Did you ever saw him act strangely? On the day of his death…”

“Yes… I’ve also told Young Master Yonghwa and the others about this. On that day, Young Master Jonghyun is out. Only Young Master Jaehyun is in home. I remember at that time, he asked to prepare for his car as he wanted to go out. Usually he will only say that his destination and what time he will come home, but that time, he purposely came to me and hugged me. I didn’t feel strange at first because sometimes both of them could be so clingy like that to me, especially when they missed their parents, or having a problem in school. But then, he said something like this. I love you so much, Anny. I can’t imagine if you’re not beside me. Please take care of Jonghyun hyung always. And I was patting his head, saying that I will always take care both of them like my own kids, no matter what. At first I thought he’s just being clingy and joking around, but then when he left, I finaly had that bad feeling. And it was true… less than five hours… I heard that he’s no longer in this world. My dear boy…” Anny took a tissue and wiped her tears that just dropped in the middle of her story. “And the things just getting worse and worse. When we saw our Young Master Jonghyun is being hospitalized from shock of the death of his twin. Then when he came home, it was so painful for us to see our cheerful Young Master turned into a totally different person. He locked himself in his room. Breaking the things. Screaming hysterically. Refused to talk with everyone. Sometimes he will cry until dawn, and sometimes, he just sat and stared blankly. Then the things are getting worse again when he was brought to mental hospital. And it was the last time we saw them in this house, Young Lady. Until today… Thank you for bringing him back to here even for a while, Young Lady. Thank you so much.” Anny smiled thankfully to Yoona with his teary eyes.

“Don’t thank me, Anny. I know he really wanted to see you all, but he just couldn’t do it himself.” Yoona caressed that woman’s hands while giving him a smile to cheer them up. “I also couldn’t see him in so much pain like that everyday… I really hope, by bringing him here… at least he could forgive himself, even for a little…” Yoona wiped the corner of her eyes.

“Forgive me to ask, but is there a possibility our Young Master could be recover from what he has right now, Young Lady?” Anny suddenly asked with concerned expression. From the way she asked, it seems like she already acknowledged that Yoona is a doctor. Perhaps from Yonghwa-ssi…

“Yes, there is. But the problem is… if he’s still blaming himself as the cause of the accident six years ago, then the recovery won’t ever go well…” Yoona said in despair tone and suddenly something across her mind. “Anny… their rooms… who often visited those both?”

“The maids, including me, Young Lady. We regularly cleaned both rooms. Sometimes Young Master Yonghwa is also visited both rooms… and… Master and Madam Lee themselves.”

“Then… who changed the clothes in Jonghyun’s room?” Yoona asked carefully. “I noticed that the clothes there were suitable to be used at his age right now. I mean, he left this house since six years ago when he was still a senior high school…”

“It’s Madam Lee, Young Lady. Everytime she’s here, she will replace the things in Young Master Jonghyun’s room, such as the clothes, shoes, and etc.”

“But the same doesnt go for Jaehyun’s room… Right? Because I found that the clothes in Jaehyun’s wardrobe is still for teenagers…”

Anny shook her head and smiled bitterly. “No, Young Lady. Only Young Master Jonghyun’s room…”

And the next words from Anny made Yoona stunned.

“Because she hopes that someday the owner of that room will be return…”

 

 

 

 

“Please visit us again if you have time, Young Master…”

The words what were said numerous times from each maids before he left the house just keep repeating in his head. After waiting for him about an hour, Jonghyun finally went out from Jaehyun’ house. He asked Yoona to leave the house since he thought he couldn’t stay any longer. The memories are hitting him so hard, even harder than when he visited Jaehyun’s grave.

It was hard for him too, to be honest, to leave people who were being with him as he grew up in this house. It made him feel bad when he saw the sad expression on their faces. But what can he do? Everytime he looked at this house, he could see Jaehyun everywhere.

“Did you manage to look around his room?” He turned to Yoona who was sitting beside him on the couch, at his apartment, after they went back from the main house. It was his first words to her after they arrived back. It doesn’t mean that he was angry or else, he was trying to calm himself first, trying not to look too weak, and fortunately seems like Yoona understood what he wants because she also didn’t utter any words related to the house or Jaehyun until now. She even let him to sleep while she’s the one who drive on the way back to the apartment.

“Yes…” Yoona nodded while sipping her tea. It seems like when they entered Jaehyun’s room, Jonghyun totally weren’t aware about her and the surrounding. “By the way, I noticed your things there have changed…” Yoona brought the topic carefully. “More spesifically, your clothes, shoes, accessories, and all those kind of things.”

“Meaning?”

“Apparently your mom—I mean, Madam Lee—regularly changed those into new one. The size of the clothes there suit you right now.”

Jonghyun didn’t respond her right away but just took his mug and drink the coffee silently. “Sometimes, people do useless things…” he mumbled after a long silence.

“Do you think it’s useless?”

“Do you think I want to wear those all?” Jonghyun asked back. His tone is casual but Yoona noticed his eyes turned a bit fierce. “Or their son will rise from the grave and wear those all?”

Yoona couldn’t utter any words as she heard Jonghyun’s response. She just took another sip of her tea. “By the way…” she started to speak again, changing the topic. “You promised to contact Anny and the other maids regularly, right? Go meet with them, perhaps once in a certain time, if you can’t meet them there, then asked them to meet you outside…”

It seems like the topic about Anny and the other maids made Jonghyun feels any better. “I will. I just realize how I miss them all when I finally saw them again…” he nodded.

“Okay, enough for this topic, I guess.” Yoona straightened her back and smiled at Jonghyun as she caressed his face gently. “You’ve cried so much, and you must be tired. Both physically and mentally. Let’s do something else. Do you want to watch a movie?”

Jonghyun stared at her for a while and leaned a soft kiss on her lips before he answered. “I have a better idea. I’ve booked two tickets of Broadway shows tonight. It’s something that you shouldn’t miss when you’re in NY.” He ruffled Yoona’s hairs. “Go get prepared. We’re leaving in an hour.”

 

* * *

 

Im Yoon Ah

Jung Yong Hwa ssi? I think you need to see something. Can we meet?

 

Yonghwa straightened his seat when he read the text from Yoona. His expression turned serious as he replied the text.

 

Jung Yong Hwa

Sure. Please let me know if you had arrived in Seoul. Make sure to get some rest first. Is Jonghyun know about this occasion?

 

Im Yoon Ah

No. Please keep it from him, at least for now. We’ll decide about it later. I’ll arrive in Seoul at 9 PM. I’ll contact you the day after tomorrow.

 

Jung Yong Hwa

Sure. Just let me know the time. How’s Jonghyun’s condition?

 

Im Yoon Ah

He’s exhausted and tired, but I’m proud he can handle it well.

 

Yonghwa let out a relief sigh as he read the text from Yoona. And so do I. I’m so proud of him… I hope there’s something that Doctor Im found to make you feel a bit better, Jonghyun-ah…

 

 

 


to be continued

sorry for the long awaiting. the work is hitting as crazy as hell.

thank you for keep waiting and reading. appreciate it so much.

see ya