Chapter 04

Secrets

Mina was heading somewhere when she walked past the dance studio. Normally she would just walk past, but something, or rather, someone, caught her eye this time. On a closer look, it was the girl who had randomly called her a few times, only to run away after stammering.

Yes, Momo had happened to come across Mina a couple more times and noticed people playing pranks again. She finally knew what Sana was talking about, though she could not understand why. Another thing she wondered was, just how many times have Mina successfully gotten pranked? The pranks did not seem like something nice to experience, she felt extremely bad to those who had it happening to them just because she was saving Mina.

The many times Momo did it, Mina had been utterly annoyed, she thought that the girl loved wasting her time. However, despite Mina's high tendency to get frustrated, she had never once snapped at Momo. She was someone who does so rather easily, but for some reason there was just something that made her not want to do that to Momo. 

But now, the girl dancing inside had a totally different aura. Her gaze as she danced, to Mina at least, was captivating. She was entranced by the way Momo danced, the way her body moved to the music as if it was second nature.

Momo felt like someone was watching her, so she turned and was surprised to see the girl that she had embarrassed herself in front of many times. Upon eye contact, the girl looked away, and Momo swore she saw a tint of red on the girl's cheeks before she walked away.

Momo shrugged, continuing with her practice. She learnt the moves later than the rest, and she wanted to get them right before the club practice started.

 

***

 

Sana was on the way home after a date with Tzuyu when she received a message from her cousin. "Hey, are you free to come over now?"

It felt weird receiving such a message from Momo. A sudden pang of guilt also hit Sana as she realised that she had not been hanging out with Momo as much these days. Without hesitation, she made her way over.

Sana entered the password (Momo told her previously) and saw a figure sitting at the balcony. She walked closer, only to realise that Momo was holding a cigarette.

"When did you start doing this?" Sana never knew, and as much as she did not like it, she knew that Momo must have had her reasons for doing so.

"Some time back," Momo replied, huffing the smoke out, to which Sana frowned upon. The latter took a seat on the empty chair anyway. "Why?"

"It's fun, and nice." Sana could see a small smile on Momo's face as she replied, but she knew it was in no aspect genuine.

"It's unhealthy." Momo, however, did not reply, leaving the atmosphere to a rather still and silent one.

"You didn't call me here to watch you smoke," Sana commented after a while of silence. She decided Momo needed some prompting. She watched as Momo gave a last puff and put out the cigarette.

"Anniversary," Momo said so softly, Sana would not have been able to hear if the surroundings were any noisier. The slightly younger of the two was confused. She was unable to put a finger to it, she was sure it was not about Momo's grandfather, and she was almost positive Momo was not dating. Even if she was, why would she be crying on such a day?  "Dahyunnie."

Sana did not reply, she was not too sure how to. Thankfully, the other girl continued. "I met her a couple of months after you left Japan. She was a bubbly, cute and energetic girl. She made me happy, I fell for her, and we got together."

Sana was surprised. It was a story she had not heard before. 

"We were intending to go out that day, but she never turned up." Momo had been looking at the sky, her gaze was far, but at this moment she looked down. "She was involved in a car accident."

She closed her eyes as she muttered, "She died."

"You didn't tell me," Sana mumbled. It was not the most appropriate reply she could have given, but she could not help but feel upset that her best friend kept something so important from her. 

"You weren't in Japan."

"We messaged often. You know I would've flown there for you."

That was exactly why Momo did not tell her, she did not want her to worry. But she felt bad, knowing that she made the other girl upset. "I'm sorry."

Sana stood up from her seat and went over to Momo's, putting her hand over the girl's shoulder. It was painful to see the girl crying again, and she felt bad that the girl had to experience so much. She did not deserve all these.

"I think I'm unlucky." Momo did not stop despite the fact that she was already sobbing. "I must be. Grandpa and Dahyun. I'm the reason why they died."

"It wasn't your fault. It's all beyond your control, Momo ah."

"It is. I gave them bad luck. They died because they were close to me. Go now, Sana, before something bad happens to you too." Momo pushed Sana, but she was too weak from crying, Sana did not even move.

"Don't say that. Don't think like that. It's all part of nature, it... it's fated to be that way. I'm sorry you had to experience all these." Sana was teary. Why was the world so unfair to Momo?

"Sana," Momo hugged the girl, a word encompassing all the emotions she felt and the need for comfort in her.

That night, Sana did not go back home. Momo was cradled in her arms all night, and at some point, she remembered crying with the girl. It hurt her too much to see the other so broken.

And the whole while, Momo could not have been more thankful to have Sana as a cousin. She also felt like she made the right choice to leave Japan. At least now, she had someone to share her sorrows with.


A/N: Fourth chapter is here! Close to 100 subscribers, thanks so much everyone, it really means a lot to me. Do tell me how you guys think about the flow of the story, alright? ^^

Also, I read fanfics too and I just want to say that if the plot seems to overlap with any other story, it's pure coincidental ><

Thanks for the support so far! <3