Chapter 18

Secrets

"Morning, Momoring!" Mina greeted enthusiastically, only to receive a seemingly uninterested reply. 

"Hi, Mina."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm just tired." Momo gave a small smile, but Mina knew better than to believe her. 

 

***

 

"Hey," Mina said as she walked in through the door. It was break, and Mina decided that it would be good for her to check if Momo was feeling better.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" It would have sounded like a casual question if not for the tone Momo used, one that made it sound like she did not want Mina to be here. 

"Well, you didn't seem too good this morning so I wanted to check if you were alright." Mina was both hurt and annoyed. She did not understand why Momo was treating her this way. "But it seems like i'm not too wanted here."

Before Momo could phrase a coherent reply, Mina had walked to the stairs and back to her classroom. Momo let out a grunt, frustrated at herself. Then she sighed. It was starting. Her fear was starting to mess things up.

 

***

 

By the time Mina ended her lessons, Momo was already waiting outside. However, she was slightly taken aback when Mina pretended not to see her and walked straight past her. Momo quickly regained her composure and caught up with Mina, tugging on her hand to stop her from moving any further. "Hey, I'm sorry for earlier. I wasn't really in a good mood, I'm sorry I didn't control my emotions better."

Mina sighed. She was still upset, but Momo was already unhappy and there was no point making things worse.

"Let's go for lunch, I'll treat you as my form of apology, okay?" Momo was now pouting and swinging Mina's arms, and she looked so adorable that all the negative feelings Mina had disappeared.

A smile and a nod from Mina sent Momo screaming "yay" and running, not forgetting to drag Mina with her. The smile on Mina's face widened at Momo's childish actions. What made her happier was that the Momo she knew was back.

 

***

 

"Class, we'll be having the annual camp soon. If you are not going, please pass me a parents' letter with the reason stated on it. If it's due to medical reasons, a medical certificate would do." With that, the teacher gave out the circular and left, leaving the class buzzing over the long-awaited camp. Long-awaited, that is, except for someone going by the name of Momo.

Momo was never one who liked camps. Well, she used to, and she went to a few until that particular camp. Whenever Momo heard the announcements about camps, the first worry she had was always her nightmares. It was always what made her hesitate about going, but it was not until that once that it actually happened that made her never go to camps again. She remembers jolting awake that night, tears streaming down her face. With some of her classmates and teachers outside of the tent, she figured that she must have shouted before waking up. She took a lot of time to stop crying, which probably made her seem very weak in her friends' eyes, for they thought it was just a regular nightmare. That incident was the most embarrassing moment of her life, and subsequently she never went to any camp anymore.

 

"Momo, did you see the circular about the camp?" Mina asked, her arms hooked around Momo's.

"I didn't read it, why??"

"It looks fun, and I'm really excited because this will be my first camp! My parents never really let me go to one because they thought it was a waste of time and I should be studying instead. But things are different now so I just asked them and they gave me the permission to go. I'm really looking forward to it, I wonder how these camps are like. Will you be going?" Momo could see the expectation in Mina's eyes.

"Erm... I don't think so." Momo did not miss the disappointment that showed in Mina's expression, which sent her thinking.

"Oh... We need to choose people to share a tent with though, I was thinking of asking you and we could share with Sana and Tzuyu. If you're not going, then maybe..."

Momo was conflicted. She really hated camps (or rather, the idea of spending nights with people), but it was Mina's first camp and she did not want Mina to miss it just because of her. The few times they had fallen asleep in each other's arms over at Momo's, she did not have much nightmares, maybe just a minor one out of all the times they spent the night together. It gave Momo some sort of relief that maybe being with Mina would lower the chance of her having nightmares, but she still could not risk it. But she would do anything if it meant Mina would be happy. "I'll go then."

Right at that moment when Mina's face lit up, Momo felt like she had made a right choice. Screw the nightmares, she could deal with that later.

"Really, Momoring? You'll go?" The way Mina looked at her reminded her of a puppy who was just promised some playing time.

"Yeah, let's go to the camp together. I'll ask Sana later too, since I'm going over to her house today anyway."

 

***

 

"You're going to the camp?!" Sana exclaimed, her eyes wide.

"Yes, Sana," Momo sighed. "I'm just as surprised as you are."

"Oh the things you do for love," Sana commented, making her cousin blush as she pushed Sana lightly. "So, what are you going to do?"

Sana did not specify, but Momo knew what she was referring to. She shrugged. "I don't know, I'm worried about that too."

"Wait, didn't you guys had a sleepover at your house?"

"Yeah, more than once actually. It only came once though, and she didn't wake up so I suppose she doesn't know."

Sana observed Momo's expression, feeling sad that the girl had to go through so much. She was a nice girl and she certainly did not deserve all these. No one deserved being put through all these. "I'm sure it'll be fine! You'll probably be too tired."

Momo just gave a small smile. "I hope so."

Wanting to cheer Momo up, Sana changed the topic. "Come on, let's have a battle on the PS4, loser needs to do a forfeit!"

And Sana was glad, because it worked. A smirk appeared on Momo's face. "Sure. You know I'll win it."

 


A/N: sorry for the slower updates recently. hope you guys still like the story~

there's a few more days to vote for Momo for Hit The Stage, please remember to do so!

as usual, comments are appreciated :) I read every one of them :) 

thanks for reading!