Troublemakers

Troublemakers

 

[No one’s POV]

 

Beep… beep… beep…

Soo Hee, who was peacefully lying on a hospital bed, slowly opened her eyes. By her side was a heart rate machine, connected to her hand, making those annoying sounds that caused Soo Hee to awake. All of this was strange. She winked once or twice, before looking around, still on the same position. It took her sometime to notice she had something attached to her forearm. With her eyes, she followed the tube and found, by the heart rate maching side, a little plastic bag with a transparent liquid. She sitted and started searching for a button to call the doctor, like she saw in the series she usually watched. Instead, she found a button where the upper side of the bed raises. She then leaned her back and on the red button by the other button’s side. While waiting for them to get in there, she tried to remember what happened for her to end in a hospital. Her head started to hurt badly, so she placed both hands on her head, at the same time the room’s door opens. A doctor and a nurse came in.

 

“Hello, Soo Hee. Welcome back to the world.”   The doctor said while placing some documents on the bottom of the bed. “How are you feeling?” The female nurse started to check all those complicated numbers and taking notes of it.

“Well, I think.” She sat there, moving uncomfortably.

“That’s good, but can you tell me how are you exactly feeling?”

“Normal, I gues…” The doctor looked at her and laughed, but not a laugh of happiness, more like relief? Nonetheless, she wanted to know why she was here. “What happened?”

 

The doctor seemed to be waiting for this question. With a hand movement, he told the nurse to leave the room and sat on the chair by the side of the bed. He thought for a minute on what he would say, on how he would explain this difficult to  a child.

 

“You collapsed in your classroom three days ago.”

“Three days?!” She readjusted her position. “What, was I about to die or something?”

“Fortunately, your disease didn’t grow much and so we managed to stop it meanwhile you were in your deep sleep.” Soo Hee opened to speak but he raised his hand, telling her to wait. “What you had was about to develop into tuberculosis. We thought it was weird for this disease to grow in you, since your immune system is really strong, so we searched for your family members.” He stopped to take a deep breath. “This is the difficult part…”

“How’s that?” He looked away from Soo Hee’s eyes. “Did something happen to… my mother?” She gulped.

“I’m afraid… She won’t live to the end of this month.” He let that out, in a deep, low voice.

 

Soo Hee’s heart stopped for a moment. Her face was absolutely white except for the grey bags under her eyes. She started trembling.

 

“What… what do you mean? Where is her?” She moved her feet to the ground, but the doctor stopped her. “Where is my mother?” She wasn’t one to start screaming and crying badly, blaming everyone. Instead, she was the calm type. Or at least she tried to be.

“We are doing out best, but… I’m afraid you’ll have to prepare yourself for the worst.” His voice failed at the end. It was very difficult for him to say such news to a kid who was about to be orphan. “Tuberculosis started developing really fast on your mother. We did a bit of investigation and moving from the regular heat of Jeju-do to Seoul might have been the cause. It is obvious you were contamined by…”

 

The doctor kept on talking, but Soo Hee had already stopped listening to him. Her mind was blank. Her face was blank. No expression, nothing, it was as if her body stopped working. She didn’t even notice the large tears going down her white, sick face. She raised her trembling hand and placed on her dry lips, and then gracefully wiped her tears. That made her wake up from the trance she was going into. She got up and spoke, ignoring the fact that the doctor was still explaining her many important things instead of comforting her. But what could he do? He was shocked as it was.

 

“Can I…” She gulped. “… see her?”

“I’m afraid you can’t. Her state is dangereous, she is isolated from the rest of the world.”

“Then, what do I do?” She sat on the bed, crying. This time she didn’t even wipe her tears.

“You’ll have to wait…” He couldn’t hold it in more and cried, silently. “I’ll leave you alone.”

 

He quickly got up and left the room. He leaned his back to the wall right in front of her room. What kind of doctor was he? One who can’t even give such news to other people without feeling sad. But she was so young! And he had a daughter her age, only imagining her suffering half of what Soo Hee was suffering now… it just wouldn’t leave him restless. He covered his face with a tissue and sobbed. He then looked through the window of her room, only to see her crying, while lying on the bed, holding her pillow.

 

“How is she? Can’t I go in?” The male voice woke him up to real life. He adjusted his glasses and looked at a kid her age, with an uniform on. He shook his head.

“Give her time, I’m afraid she is not in condition to receive visits.” Shin Dongho bowed to him and he left the hall where they were.

 

Dongho peeked inside to see Soo Hee lying inside, sobbing. He sat on the plastic chairs on the corridor and sighed, staring at his hands, playing with his fingers.

His face was marked with worry. Ever since he heard she collapsed, he had been waiting for the day she woke up and got better to see her again. He heard about the news too unfortunately, and had been thinking about things he sad to Soo Hee to make her happy, since then. But it was useless.

He slid his back on the chair and leaned his head backwards, closing his eyes.



 

 

So here is some drama for you!

THANK you so much for the comments, really! :D