Chapter Two: Seven AM

One Day

 

Gerald: (thoughts) I should have left earlier! I don’t know what’s going on but there is so much traffic. I am barely moving. Please don’t let me be late.  It’s too early to call someone. People! Please hurry up!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Kim: Mel, we are so going to be late. There is too much traffic. I don’t know what is going on! We need to be there in 5 minutes and we are at least 30 minutes away!

 

Mel: Quit being so dramatic. We’re not that far. We are going to be late but you’re the boss so what are you worried about?

 

Kim: I want to set a good example. If I am always late, people are going to take that cue and follow my lead. Not okay.  I expect timeliness and most especially during important projects such as this.

 

Mel: But you should also have compassion even for yourself when you know there are extenuating circumstances out of your control, such as traffic.

 

Kim: You should always prepare for that eventuality.

 

Mel: But you can’t anticipate how long it would take to clear up traffic congestion if for example there was a bad accident.

 

Kim: True but still.

 

Mel: Kim.  Everything will be okay today.  Now that you see traffic, anticipate some delays.  Just in case. 

 

Kim: I think I’m stressing out again. And look, you’re right. Traffic is extremely bad this morning. Mel! (groaning) Look, there seems to be a lot of people walking around up ahead.  Oh this is bad!! People are going to be late.

 

Mel: Just anticipate and be flexible. We’ll see. Maybe not everyone is coming from this way.

 

Kim: Breathe in. Breathe out. Breathe in. Breathe out.  Lord, please let this day go well Lord!!

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Gerald was expertly weaving in and out of traffic.  He knew that something was up with traffic especially since he was not even close to Kimberly Chui’s studio. 

 

Gerald: This drive should take me only 15 minutes.  It’s already been 25 minutes and I’m not even close. !! I’m going to be late.

 

Cell phone rings.

 

Gerald: Hello!

 

David: Dude, what is up with traffic?!

 

Gerald: I don’t know. I think I’m going to be late.  I don’t want to make a bad first impression.

 

David: Dude. It’s going to be worse for me.  I am still on the Bay Bridge and I haven’t moved. I was hoping you were already there to give them a heads up.  I knew I should have taken your offer to stay with you last night.  At least I would still be in the city.

 

Gerald: You were too busy hitting the bars.  I told you to come over whenever when you were done but I am assuming that you went home with a little somethin’ somethin’ because why are you coming over the Bay when you live in Palo Alto.

 

David: (hiding a cough)  I don’t know what you are talking about.

 

Gerald: Yeah. Yeah. Deny all you want. Man, what are we going to do?  We are now both late.

 

David: Do you have a number for someone we can call?

 

Gerald: I left it at home.  Come on. I am here in The City and I’m not far.  Wait.  I think I’ll make it.  I’m only about 5 blocks away and traffic seems to be inching along.  Damn. I wonder what’s going on.

 

David: I was listening to the radio and it seems like there is a protest today.

 

Gerald: A protest? 

 

David: Yeah, that whole Prop 8 thing that passed against gay marriages.

 

Gerald: Well… at least we have a good reason.

 

David: Since you are almost there, can you please give them a heads up?

 

Gerald: Sure man.  Call me when you are closer.

 

David: Sure.  See you soon.

 

Gerald hung up the phone and continued to inch his way to K Chiu’s studio.  He was finally able to find parking and then grabbed his bag and headed to the door. When he knocked on the door, no one answered. He kept knocking but still no response so he just sat on the curb and waited.

 

Gerald: (thinking to himself) I guess everyone is stuck in traffic. Now I can relax.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Right around the corner…

 

Kim: Ay salamat!  We are here.

 

Mel: I told you not to worry but don’t get mad if no one is here yet.  Traffic was pretty bad. 

 

Kim: I hear you.  I thought I was going to have a heart-attack when I saw all those people on Market Street.  People are pissed about Prop 8 passing.

 

Mel: I hear you.   And we are here right in San Francisco where liberalism lives.

 

Kim: Okay, let’s go Mel.

 

Kim and Mel walk towards Kim’s studio and noticed a man sitting on the curb in front of it. 

 

Mel: I think that is one of your models. 

 

Kim: At least one of them is on time.

 

Kim and Mel approached the studio door.  Kim took out her key and unlocked the door.  Gerald looked up when he heard the door being opened.  He stood up right away and dusted himself off.

 

Gerald: Hi! My name is Gerald Anderson.  I was asked to come here this morning for Mrs. Kimberly Chiu’s catalogue shoot.

 

Mel: (having seen his pictures)  So you’re Gerald Anderson.  You’re head shots don’t do you justice.  Welcome.  (sticks out her hand to shake Gerald’s hand) Melissa Ricks.

 

Gerald took Mel’s hand and brought it to his lips.

 

Gerald: Enchante. And thank you. 

 

Mel giggled. Gerald smiled. Kim rolled her eyes.

 

Gerald then turned to the other woman and looked straight into beautiful light brown eyes that sparkled.  She was young with porcelain skin and had long black hair that shined in the sun.  Kim looked at Gerald with no expression. Gerald could not take his eyes off her… wow!...  until he heard Mel coughed.

 

Gerald: I’m sorry.  You must be one of the other models for Mrs. Kimberly Chiu.  I am Gerald Anderson.  My agency sent me. Which agency sent you?

 

Kim: It’s Miss Kimberly Chiu.  Nice to meet you Gerald.  Come on in.  It looks like not everyone is here so please make yourself comfortable while we wait for everyone.  I want to thank you for your punctuality.  I understand it was difficult this morning.

 

Gerald: You’re THE Kimberly Chiu?!

 

Kim: Yes.  Am I not what you expected?

Gerald: No. Not at all. I was expecting an elderly woman with black rimmed glasses, maybe gray hair, stylish yet older. (smiling at Kim)

Kim: Disappointed? (raising her eyebrow at him)

Gerald: Definitely not disappointed. More pleasantly surprised. It is very nice to finally meet you and thank you for giving me the opportunity to work for you.

Gerald extends out his hand to Kim.  Kim ignored it and walked into the studio straight to her office.

Kim: (yelling over her shoulder) Mel, can you show Gerald where he can wait?  None of the make-up artists or stylists have arrived either.  Come see me after.

As Kim walked away, Gerald stood there smiling, watching her walk away.  Mel watched Gerald as he watched Kim. Mel smiled to herself.

Mel: (thinking to herself)  I think today is going to be a good day for the boss. She didn’t turn down this one. I have to see how this turns out.  I think they make a pretty striking couple. Hmmm… I have to learn more about this Gerald Anderson.

Gerald: (thinking to himself) I think I am in trouble. Wow. Kimberly Chiu is a freakin’ knockout! I’m going to have to learn more about her. One thing for sure. She is one tough cookie. (smiling to himself)