Chapter Ten: Three PM

One Day

 

Everyone loaded up into the vans and headed to the next location. They were headed to Golden Gate Park where the waterfall and palm tree forest were located. Once again, Gerald sat in the same van with Kim but this time, Gerald pulled her to the back row. When Mel climbed into the van, she smiled. Kim and Gerald were whispering to each other.

Kim: So what were you and Alex talking about?

Gerald: Nothing much. Just shooting the breeze.

Kim: It didn’t seem like the breeze with the two of you laughing.

Gerald: Are you jealous?

Kim: No. (denying the truth) Just curious.  So what were you talking about?

Gerald: You.

Kim: Me?

Gerald: Yeah. I found out that you and Alex are really good friends. And she ditched everyone for you. This shoot and New York Fashion Week.  I have heard of Alex being in the business so you must know how much she loves and respects you to do this.

Kim: Yeah. She’s been an awesome friend since forever. I dressed up the Barbies. She made them up. (laughing) But seriously what was so funny.

Gerald: Alex thought it was funny that I am a scientist. And she was teasing me because she could see how I felt about you.

Kim: And what can she see?

Gerald: She can see that Kimberly Chiu knocked me off my feet not only with her beauty but also with her arrogance, independence and command.

Kim: Hmmm… (smiling at him)

Gerald: She called me a romantic scientist.

Kim: A romantic scientist?

Gerald: Funny huh?

Kim: Why a romantic scientist?

Gerald: Well she knows I am studying biochemistry.  She asked me what my hypothesis was to meeting you. Romantic because of my traditional way of looking at finding that right person.

Kim: So what is your hypothesis.

Gerald: (whispering even closer to Kim’s ear) Happily ever after.

Gerald just pulled her closer to his side without looking at her or waiting for a response. Kim sat there in silence, unexpected by Gerald’s admissions.

Once they arrived at the next location, Gerald and Kim had to split up right away since Gerald was needed with the stylists. He was one of the first models that were going to be shot by Dennis in the palm tree forest.  The location was perfect for the K Chiu designs they were highlighting. Dennis was loving the location.  He could totally picture these shots as the cover for the catalogue.  He then came up with an idea.

Dennis: Kim?

Kim: Dennis? Is everything okay?

Dennis: Everything is going great. I am loving the location. It’s perfect. I have an idea.  And don’t say no right away because I think you will appreciate it.

Kim: (raising an eyebrow in question to him)  I’m listening.

Dennis: I would love to shoot you here with some of your models.

Kim: Me? Why me?

Dennis: You’re the designer. Some catalogues have a page with a letter from the designer but I’m thinking that your page would have you surrounded by your designs.

Kim: (eyes lighting up)  I was just going to ask you to do a head shot but what if my letter was on the background of a photo shoot with my designs.

Dennis: Exactly.

Kim: Okay. But it’s not like I’m dressed for this. (looking down at her high end jeans, boots and T-shirt and sweater)

Mel: Kim. We haven’t shot the red dress.

Dennis: Perfect!! Okay, Kim, off you go to hair and make-up.

Before Kim could protest, Mel was already pushing her to where the hair and make up stylists were set up.  Gerald who was still sort of in position was watching the exchange curiously. When he realized that they were pushing Kim towards make-up, he smiled.

Dennis: Ready to continue Gerald?

Gerald: Whenever you are ready.

Gerald went back into modeling mode and followed Dennis’ instructions. Gerald had to change into a couple different other outfits and also do some shots with some other models. They were so busy that he did not pay attention to what was going on. Dennis kept him busy.

All of sudden, it got quiet on the set. Dennis looked behind Gerald where Kim was walking towards them.  Dennis smiled really big and started taking pictures regardless. Gerald finally looked back to see what was going on and why Dennis started taking shots behind him. When he turned around, his eyes locked with Kim’s. He could not believe the sight that was floating towards him.  There was Kim, unrecognizable to a certain degree but still Kim to him, an ethereal beauty, walking towards him in one of her K Chiu gowns: blood red, striking, strapless ballroom gown with a voluminous skirt with red tulle peeking underneath the hem.  Her hair was done in a 1940’s hairstyle with her lips painted bright red in contrast to her porcelain skin. She was an image to behold.

Dennis: (still taking shots of Kim and including Gerald in his shocked expression) Gerald, close your mouth, son.

Gerald closed his mouth but his eyes never left Kim.  Kim finally stopped right in front of Gerald.

Kim: Hi.

Gerald: Hi.

Kim: What do you think?

Gerald: Breathtakingly beautiful. (whispers in her ear only)  Absolutely gorgeous.

His voice caressed her bare shoulders and shivers danced down her spine.

Kim: Thank you.

Gerald: I would love to kiss you right now.

Kim: You’ll mess up my make-up. (as she tilted her head towards him)

Gerald gently kissed Kim’s lips. And an audible sigh resonated among everyone on the set. They all began to clap. Gerald and Kim broke out of their own world, finally realizing they had an audience. Kim hid her head in Gerald’s arm but finally emerged and smiled at Gerald.

Kim: Ummm… Dennis. What do you want me to do?

Dennis: You look absolutely amazing Kim. I was right on the money. Stay right there. Mel, can you have someone bring the black barong that Gerald was wearing this morning? Gerald, I’m going to have you change into the black barong from this morning. It’s perfect for this shot. (turning to one of his assistants)  Go find me an ornate wooden chair.

Gerald: You ready to do this Miss Chiu?

Kim: I don’t know. I’ve never done this before.

Gerald: You are perfect for this. Look at you. You could sell in a burlap sack.

Kim: (laughing)  I’m more interested in people liking my designs versus looking at me.

Gerald: You’re right. I would rather keep you to myself and stare at you all day.

Kim: Only staring? (now feeling bolder)

Gerald: I’m sure I can think of more things other than staring at you to do with you. Shall I demonstrate later?

Kim: (blushing, not responding to his last comment) Dennis? I’m not sure what I need to do.

Dennis: Give me one moment. I’m switching a couple things with my camera and lens.  You two continue talking.

What Gerald and Kim didn’t know was that Dennis began to take candid pictures of them, whispering and laughing at each other. Dennis captured Gerald playing with Kim’s fingers, finally kissing her hand. He captured Kim placing her hand on Gerald’s chest, laughing with her head thrown back. He captured Gerald brushing a stray hair away from her face, hand gently massaging her neck, and whispering into her ear. He captured Kim holding to Gerald’s forearm, animated, just focused on him. Dennis captured them at their most vulnerable moments that spoke more about their new found feelings for each other as oppose to the superficial denials Kim spoke. They say a picture says a thousand words and the pictures Dennis took of Gerald and Kim unassuming, spoke of a blooming love.