Chapter Eight: One PM

One Day

 

The vans stopped right in front of the International Hotel Manilatown Center located on Kearny and Jackson. Once the van doors opened, Kim climbed out immediately. Everyone else followed. There, Kim’s staff had set up a Filipino feast for the crew in line with the day’s theme. There was of course, white steamed rice, bbq pork on a stick, lumpia-fresh & shanghai, chicken adobo, pancit, lechon kawali, caldareta, sisig, escabeche, and an assortment of desserts. The entire crew was very happy even the models who did not want to gain an ounce. Everyone dug in.

Gerald: Whomever’s idea this was, can I please kiss them?  This is so good and not the salad crap we’re normally fed.

Mel: You can kiss Kim. (smiling at the both of them)  When she thinks through something, she thinks through all the details.

Gerald who was sitting next to Kim once again looked at her.

Gerald: (quietly) So can I kiss the one who came up with this idea?

Kim just looked at him with an I-don’t-get-you-look. Since Gerald didn’t get an answer from her, he slowly bent down and kissed her on the cheek. Kim looked at him with surprise.

Gerald: The food is great. The idea even better.

Kim: Thanks. (not looking up at him but continuing to play with her food)

Gerald: Kim?

Kim: Hmmm?

Gerald: Why are you not eating? I’ve been watching you push your food around your plate.

Kim: Not hungry?

Gerald: Not hungry.  No, you need to eat.

Kim: (with attitude) You are not my dad. (looking at him in disbelief)

Gerald: I may not be your dad but I am a friend who knows that you probably woke up this morning and had coffee and maybe something small. No snack all day and today is a grueling day, so to keep your energy up, eat something.

Mel looked at Gerald and just smiled – thanking God for bringing Gerald on this planet to make sure her boss and best friend ate.

Kim: Geez. I don’t even get a sermon from my own dad.

Gerald: Which is probably why you are so thin. So eat. Don’t be a baby and just eat your food. Here. (putting some more food on her plate from his)  Eat this too.

Kim continued to look at Gerald with disbelief. Gerald just motioned his head at her to eat. Kim looked at her food.

Gerald: Fine.  Let me help you if you are going to be so stubborn.

Gerald took a spoon of rice and chicken adobo and fed Kim. Kim was so surprised, she almost choked.

Gerald: I’m sorry. Are you okay? Did I feed you too much? Here is some water. Look you have even forgoten how to eat.

Kim took the water and drank a gulp down. She then picked up her spoon and began to eat quietly.

Gerald: Are you okay Kim? I’m sorry.

Kim: No. I’m okay. I guess I was surprised that you fed me. No one has ever done that.

Gerald: Sorry. I just want you to eat.

Kim: Thank you. I’m eating. I promise I will eat.

Gerald: So why were you not eating?

Kim: Just not hungry.

Gerald: Do you always push your food around?

Kim: Geez. What is this? The Inquisition?

Gerald: It can be. Eat your lunch. We’ll talk later.

Kim ate her lunch with no struggle or comment. She was in deep thought. She didn't know if she liked Gerald taking care of her. It was a new feeling. A weird feeling. He noticed and cared about what she did. What was she suppose to do with that?

Mel looked at Gerald and loved him even more so. Everyone saw or at least heard the interaction and didn’t make any comment. However, many of Kim’s staff just smiled. They were all thinking the same thing. Kim finally met her match. Gerald did not back down and was not put off by her attitude.

Gerald sat next to Kim to make sure she finished everything on her plate. Everyone else was setting up to do another photo shoot.  They were the only two people left where lunch was served. When she was finished, Kim turned to Gerald, holding her empty plate in front of his face.

Kim: Happy?

Gerald: Yes. (smiling at her)

Kim: Satisfied? (no smile on her face)

Gerald: Aren’t you?

Kim: Humph.

Gerald: Admit it. The food was great.

Kim sat there in silence.

Gerald: Kim. Are you mad at me?

Kim continued to sit there in silence.

Gerald: Okay. Now you are acting like a baby.

Kim: EXCUSE ME?! ME?! ACTING LIKE A BABY?! I WOULDN’T BE “ACTING LIKE A BABY” IF I DIDN’T HAVE YOU TREATING ME LIKE ONE!

Gerald: I wouldn’t treat you like one if you would take care of yourself properly.

Kim: What is this? I just met you today and why am I even tolerating you? This is so confusing!

Gerald: Why? It’s simple Kim. Just go with whatever this is.

Kim: Right now. I’m not liking what THIS is. I don’t think I’ve liked what ‘THIS’ is since IT started. I’m leaving. I need to go check on things. (thought – Why does he affect so easily?!!)

Kim stood up and walked out of the room. Gerald just smiled and watched her walk away. Gerald cleaned up their plates and the followed her out of the reception area. He walked over to where they set up the photo shoot in front of the International Hotel Legacy Wall that were bricks from the foundation of the original International Hotel after it was demolished. Dennis had already begun shooting some of the other models in other K Chiu designs. The pictures were coming together and the staff was excited about what Dennis was able to capture. Gerald knew that his turn would be coming up next so he headed to where the hair stylists and make up artists were to get touched up. 

As Gerald was getting ready, he talked with everyone that was around him, getting to know them.  Most of the time people on fashion shoots just kind of do their job and don’t interact with each other but Gerald always made a point to connect. His thought was you never knew when you would work with them again.  The fashion world is a small world. 

Gerald: So Alex, how do you like this fashion shoot so far?

Alex was one of the make-up artists for the fashion shoot. She was also a good friend of Kim and Mel. She was well known for her craft and often traveled over the world for her clients whether it was for fashion shoots such as this or for celebrities who hired her for certain events or movie, TV or video productions. She was always busy.

Alex: I feel more relax on this shoot. Kim’s demanding but thank God I know her and what she is looking for.  She’s been talking about this shoot forever.

Gerald: She is demanding, isn’t she? (smiling)

Alex: Which is why she is one of the best kept secrets that’s about to blow up New York Fashion Week.

Gerald: Are you going to be there too?

Alex: I’m always there but I’m committed to K Chiu this year.  Others tried to book me even last year but I turned them all down because I knew Kim was going to bet there this year.

Gerald:  You’re a good friend. And if Kim is one of the best kept secrets… you’re one of the most well-known secret weapons for a lot of productions.

Alex: Don’t butter me up. You don’t need to. I’m making you look good. (laughing)

Gerald: I mean… I know this is the first time we worked together but I’ve heard your name tossed about.

Alex: Good or bad?

Gerald: Great, of course.

Alex: You’re such a smooth talker.

Gerald: I only state the truth.  Scientists are that way. It is only black and white.

Alex: So scientist, what is your hypothesis on how your day with Kim is going to end?

Gerald: Happily Ever After.

Alex: (laughing even more)  A romantic scientist at that.

Gerald: (laughing)  Like I said… black and white. I wasn’t looking for it but I found it and I’m not letting it go. No matter how hard she fights.

Alex: Everyone can see it.

Gerald: She can too but she’s trying to ignore it. She’s mad about it.

Alex: But Gerald… you barely know her. 

Gerald: You’re right. I might not know her favorite color or what foods she likes to eat.  But this is what I do know. She’s beautiful actually breathtaking yes but she’s intelligent, independent, focused, ambitious, talented, a hard worker, strong yet vulnerable, forceful yet quiet. I think I know enough right  now to know that I want to find out more.

Alex: If I ever find a man that talks about me like you, I think I would marry them on the spot.

Gerald: (busted up laughing) That was sappy wasn’t it.

Alex: Not sappy at all Gerald. Not sappy at all Gerald. (patting him on the hand as she continued to touch up his make-up)

Gerald and Alex did not know that Kim was watching their exchange the whole time. From Kim’s perspective, all she saw was Gerald flirting with Alex. Laughing their heads off. Serious at times but always with laughter following. Whatever.

Kim: Palakero. (walks outside the building for some fresh air)