Chapter Sixteen: Nine PM

One Day

 

Gerald and Kim said their good byes to Kim’s family.

Gerald: Mr. Chiu, thank you so much for the cooking lesson. I am even more honored to know how limited the access is to your kitchen. Thank you! And thank you for allowing me to join you and your family for dinner. I never had so much fun around a dinner table before. (chuckling)

Mr. Chiu: Gerald, you always welcome here and to our home. We hope to see you more often. And to answer your question earlier more clearly, you definitely have my blessing to court Kim.

Gerald started laughing and gave Mr. Chiu a big hug.

Gerald: Thank you. You know Mr. Chiu. I want you to know that I am not a violent person. I’m sorry about earlier.

Mr. Chiu: Do not apologize. You did what I’ve always wanted to do to that boy. I don’t know what Kim ever saw in him. I knew it was wrong from the very beginning but for some reason it lasted enough for them to be engaged.

Gerald: Well… we are both thankful that she saw the light before it proceeded to the altar.

Mr. Chiu: Amen.

Gerald and Mr. Chiu looked at each other and busted up laughing.

Kim: What are you two laughing about?

Gerald: Guy to guy confidentiality. You know… the kind that if I tell you, I might have to kill you.

Kim’s dad was chuckling to himself.

Kim: Smart . (playfully punching him) And I thought you were on my side. (looking at her dad)

Mr. Chiu: I am on your side. (putting his hands up in the air, still chuckling to himself)

Gerald: (laughing)  Come on gorgeous. Let’s go paint the town red!! Bye everyone! Thank you once again! And I hope to see you all soon!

Ate Lakam: We better see you soon, Gerald.  Kim?

Kim: Yeah! Yeah! Let me see if he can still win me over.

Gerald: (pretending to be hurt)  What?! I didn’t win you over yet! What does a man gotta do? You are hard to please.

Gerald then scooped her up in his arms and walked out of the restaurant with Kim asking to be put down and her family and customers applauded them as they exited.

Kim: Gerald! Put me down! How embarrassing!

Kim put her face into the crook of Gerald’s neck to hide her face from the people they passed by as they left Chinatown. Gerald just ignored her. Kim then just settled into his arms and enjoyed the ride. When they finally got to Gerald’s car, Gerald slowly let Kim down and had her against his car, trapped between his arms.

Gerald: Thank you for allowing me to meet your family. I had the best time. Your dad is one cool dude.

Kim: He thinks you’re pretty cool too. (leaning back against the car)

Gerald: You’re pretty cool yourself.

Kim: Thank you. Did you eat enough for dinner?

Gerald: Are you kidding? I think I ate enough for the week. Everything was so good. I’m going back there more often. You’re taking me right.

Kim: Maybe.

Gerald: (inching his face closer to hers) Only maybe? Don’t you feel sorry for this poor single guy who has to suffer in search of home cooked meals?

Kim: No.

Gerald: (inching his face even closer) No? You’re cold.

Kim: (inhaling his scent)  Well… maybe.

Gerald: (rubbing his nose against hers) Still maybe?

Kim: hmmmm…I’ll think about it.

There in the grayness of an underground parking garage, they found sunlight when Gerald finally ended her torture and gently kissed her lips. Kim melted into his lips and sighed.

Kim: What was that for?

Gerald: That was thank you for dinner.

Kim placed her hands on Gerald’s waist, grabbing the edges of his sweater and pulled him closer against her body, forcing Gerald’s face closer to hers once again. Without breaking eye contact, she placed a kiss on his cheek.

Gerald: What was that for?

Kim: For standing up for my family and most especially taking care of my dad.

Gerald: Hmmmm…

Kim placed her hands on either side of his face and pulled his face closer to her face once again and kissed him passionately which took Gerald off guard. Gerald finally recovered from his shock and gave back with the same gusto with which Kim was kissing him. He picked Kim up, still propped against the car and wrapped his arm around her waist, lifting her off the ground… never once losing contact. They both finally came up for air, looking at each other with much awe.

Gerald: What was that for?

Kim: That was for standing up for me.

Gerald: I will always do that for you.

Silence stood between them as they continued to look at each other in the eyes.  Gerald had yet to put Kim down.

Kim: I think you can put me down now. (thought – just don’t let go because I don’t think I can stand. I’m still floating on air!)

Gerald slowly lowered Kim, kissing her on top of her head.

Gerald: So beautiful? Where to now?

Kim: I don’t know. Are you tired? We’ve had a long day.

Gerald: I am game for whatever as long as I get to spend it with you.

Silence hung between them

Gerald: Are you saying good night to me?

Kim: (looking at him straight in the eye) I don’t want to.

Gerald: (breathing a sigh of relief)  I’m glad. I was worried there for a minute.

Kim: (smiling)  I need to keep you on your toes mister. So what’s up? What’s the plan?

Gerald: The city is ours. Any ideas? Desires? Adventures? We can play tourist since we are here in Chinatown.

Kim: It is already past 9:00pm on a Monday at that.

Gerald: There is always something to do in San Francisco. Usually it revolves around food but since we have already been blessed, I think I know exactly what to do. Your chariot awaits my lady.

Gerald opened the passenger door and guided Kim to sit down. He closed the passenger door and went around to driver’s side and hopped in.

Kim: So where are you taking me?

Gerald: Well, we need some items first. So we need to make a stop.

Kim: Okay… Where?

Gerald: You’ll see.

Gerald drove off, paid the parking garage fee and drove to the nearest Walgreens. They entered Walgreens.

Kim: Why are we at Walgreens?

Gerald: For a couple things, snacks… just in case. A blanket, binoculars and a disposable camera. And anything else you think is important.

Kim: Huh?

Gerald: Don’t worry. Just trust me.

Gerald and Kim walked through the aisles at Walgreens. They first walked through the snack aisle and picked up a bag of Doritos and a tube of Pringles, a couple bottles of Sprite and Coke, peanut M & Ms, red vines and some gum. They started walking through the other aisles.

Kim: I found a blanket. Do we need one or two?

Gerald: I would prefer one big one. But if they are small, we need at least 2. Just get 3 just in case.

Kim: Okay. What do we need these for anyways?

Gerald: It’s a cold night.

Kim looked at him quizzically and shrugged her shoulders.

Gerald: Oh look. I found some binoculars. Not top of the line but they will do.

Kim: Seriously, what is all this for?

Gerald: No worries. It’s a surprise. Or it might not be but join me on this adventure. Okay?

Kim: I’m in on it but I’m being nosy and impatient.

Gerald just kissed the top of her head and continued to walk down the aisle. He began to throw things into their basket like lip balm, toothbrush and floss.

Kim: Are you running your errands?

Gerald: No. There is something stuck in my teeth and I would like to remove it which reminds me, we need water. Do you need anything?

Kim: Okay. (shaking her head) And no, I don’t think I need anything. Can I share your lip balm?

Gerald: You can just kiss my lips to get some.

Kim: Is this some sort of special lip balm?

Gerald: Yes… it’s interactive.

Kim just started laughing, escaping Gerald’s attempt at kiss.

Kim: Is there anything I need to get?

Gerald: Do you need anything?

Kim: I don’t know.

Gerald: How about this – if you think we need it, then we buy it.

Kim: For tonight?

Gerald: For whatever.

Kim: Okay.

Kim began to pick out items from the shelf:  socks, a sweatshirt for each of them, a toothbrush for her, napkins, hand sanitizer, flashlight and batteries. Kim began to walk down the make-up aisles and began looking at the different make-up and nail polish colors. She decided on a couple of colors: neutral, red, champagne pink, midnight black and ocean blue.

Kim: This is kind of fun.

Gerald: Are you running your errands?

Kim: (giggling) Hey, you left a girl alone to shop. I will find something to buy. Are we ready?

Gerald: I think we are ready. Are you ready?

Kim: I’m ready.