Chapter Twelve: Five PM

One Day

 

Dennis: Okay guys! I think we are done. There are only a few of you I need to stay behind.

Kim: (to Gerald)  Let me go touch bases with Dennis.  I want to see what he has in mind.  I thought this was our last stop for today.

Kim walked towards Dennis.

Kim: Thank you for today Dennis. The pictures I have seen so far have been absolutely fabulous. My next problem is choosing which ones for the catalogue.

Dennis: You are not done.

Kim: Huh?

Dennis: I just need you and Gerald for the final shoot.  I have one last idea. I know this was our last stop but I have a great idea and you have to indulge me.

Kim: Okay. Let me ask Gerald if he’s okay to stay longer. Do we need anyone else?

Dennis: It’s up to you but to be honest I just need one van for the 3 of us.

Kim: Okay. I’ll excuse everyone else.

Kim walked back to Gerald.

Gerald: So what’s up?

Kim: We are done but Dennis wants to take more pictures of the two of us. He said that he has an idea. I don’t want to hold you back if you have plans.

Gerald: I do have plans but …

Kim: It’s okay. I’ll tell Dennis that we are done.

Kim walked away. Gerald grabbed her arm right and stopped her from leaving.

Gerald: You didn’t let me finish.  I do have plans. I have plans to hopefully spend the rest of the day with you. Even better that we can prolong this. So I’m in as long as I get to be with you.

Kim: (smiling) I’ll let Dennis know.

Gerald: Good. I’m going to go get my bags and meet you where Dennis is. Sounds good?

Kim: Sounds good.

Kim returned to Dennis to let him know that Gerald was in. She also told Mel to let everyone go for the day and to thank everyone for their hard work.  Everyone began to pack up and load up the vans to return to Kim’s studio where they first started. Gerald grabbed his bags and headed to where Kim and Dennis were standing.

Gerald: So what’s the plan boss? (talking to Kim)

Kim: Ask the other boss.

Gerald: So boss #2?

Dennis: You two have inspired me so we’re going to take pictures right at sunset at the beach, in keeping with the Filipino theme so we better hurry. Do both of you have all your stuff?

Kim & Gerald: Yes.

The three of them headed to one of the vans. Gerald grabbed Kim’s hand as they walked.  Everyone was watching them with a smile. They were all thinking the same thing. ‘We have just paid witness to the start of something special’.

Dennis, Kim and Gerald climbed into the van and drove off.

Gerald: So Dennis… where are we headed?

Dennis: The beach.

Gerald:  Which one?

Dennis: Bakers Beach.

Kim: The one?

Gerald: How do you know it’s the beach? (raising an eyebrow at her)

Dennis busted up laughing.

Kim: Hoy! Sira! I’ve lived here in SF. You need to learn where NOT to go.

Gerald: Uh huh. Sure.

Kim: Sure ka dyan. I am not a nudist. Okay.

Gerald: Sometimes it’s good to be a nudist.

Kim: When is it a good time to be a nudist?

Gerald: Well there are certain times you need to be .

Kim: Like what?

Gerald: Hello taking a shower or bath. You have a dirty mind.

Kim: Punk!

Dennis continued to laugh at the two of them.

Gerald: So what do you have in mind? And why just the two of us?

Dennis: I can’t tell you why until you’ve seen the pictures. Then you will know why. But I knew that I wasn’t done with the 2 of you. We have perfect weather. There is a slight breeze.

Gerald: Sounds good.

Within a few minutes, despite traffic, they made it to Bakers Beach with no incident. They climbed out of the van and just stood there enjoying the view. Gerald stood behind Kim and held her from behind. They both closed their eyes and Dennis began to shoot pictures of them.

Kim: (still with her eyes closed)  This feels good.

Gerald: You feel good.

Kim: (giggling) You feel good too. But I was talking about the sea breeze and the sun breaking through the clouds.

Gerald: It does feel good but I know it is going to get cold soon.

Dennis: Are you guys ready? Let’s take a walk on the beach.  Kim, you might want to slip off your beautiful Manolo Blahniks. And Gerald, your Morettis.

Dennis started walking down the beach.  Gerald bent down to help Kim slip off her heels.

Kim: (thought – OMG! Is this guy for real or what? My Prince Charming?! I don’t think I can breathe!)

They then walked hand in hand down the beach, laughing and pushing each other as they walked. They teased. They pointed. They laughed. And Dennis captured it all.  Gerald’s pants were somewhat dragging so Kim bent down and folded Gerald’s pants up to mid calf.

Gerald: (thought – Here is this woman who in just a few hours now consumes me. Lord, please don’t let this end!)

Gerald then picked up Kim unexpectedly in his arms and twirled her around.  It was beautiful picture to capture. Her beautiful red gown just billowed in the breeze and her face spoke of happiness. Gerald bent down and kissed her nose. They smiled at each other and continued to follow Dennis down the shore.

Dennis: Okay you two… Gerald, slowly let Kim down with her facing you.

Gerald did as instructed. When Kim’s feet gently hit the ground, Gerald had his hands settled on her hips. Kim’s gaze never left Gerald’s eyes. Her hair was blowing haphazardly in the wind. But it didn’t bother either of them. They were so concentrated on each other. And Dennis just continued to capture their moments.

Kim: What a beautiful day this has turned into.

Gerald: I agree with you and day has not ended yet.

Kim: Do you think we are done? I’m starving.

Gerald: Yes. She’s actually wanting to eat.

Kim: Funny. But seriously, I’m starving and I still need to change out of this beautiful gown. I know it’s my design but I guess I am biased.

Gerald: You do look beautiful in your gown. But I agree with you, I would love to change and get more comfortable. Where would you like to go to dinner?

Kim: How about dim sum and some other Chinese delicacies?

Gerald: Sounds good. Your father’s restaurant?

Kim: Is that okay with you?

Gerald: I think it’s perfect. I’m so hungry right now. Do you think Dennis is done? He hasn’t said anything.

Kim: I know.

Gerald: (finally looking up) Dennis? Do you need us to do anything?

Dennis: You guys have done great without knowing it. I think we are done. Can you two just turn to me for a couple last shots? Kim look at me. Gerald look down at Kim.  There that is it.

Dennis continued to shoot a couple more pictures. He didn’t want to stop but he knew he had the shots he wanted. He loved his subjects. They were so natural with each other. They looked good together. He silently wished them luck.

Dennis: Okay kids. We are good. Let’s head back to the van. Kim, I have my computer in the van. I will upload the pictures to a thumb drive for you so that you can look at them at your convenience. Have Mel call me when you want to sit down and discuss the catalogue.

Kim: Thank you so much Dennis. (giving him a hug) I’m excited to see the pictures. Where do you want us to drop you off? Do you have your car by the studio?

Dennis: Yes. I do. Are the both of you headed that way too?

Gerald: Yes. My car is there.

Kim: Oops. Mel came and picked me up. I don’t have a car. I can always have the van take me home.

Gerald: You are with me. We’re going to dinner remember.

Kim: Dennis, would you like to join us for dinner? We are going to my family’s restaurant in Chinatown.

Dennis: Thank you for the invitation and it sounds lovely but I am going to go home and enjoy a glass of wine while looking at the pictures I took today. (looking at Gerald) Plus, I don’t want to disturb the possibilities.

Kim: The possibilities?

Dennis: Yes. The possibilities. What a wonderful day! What a wonderful day! Let’s go you two! The night is still young!

Gerald and Kim smiled at each other as they followed Dennis to the van. Dennis went straight to uploading all the pictures he took today to a thumb drive for Kim. The van drove the 3 of them back to K Chiu studio.