Chapter Six: Eleven AM

One Day

 

At the San Francisco International Airport international arrival area...

 

Gerald: Excuse Miss? Is this seat taken?

Kim: (looking up with no expression – thinking to herself) Of all the hundreds of seats lining up this airport, he has to sit next to me) No. Have a seat.

Kim then returns to the notes she was reading. Gerald didn’t say anything but remained quiet right next to her.

Kim: (thinking to herself) What is he doing? Why is he sitting next to me with all these empty chairs? And he’s not even saying anything! I can’t concentrate anymore. Uuuurrrgh!! Frustrating!!!

Kim finally looked up and turned towards Gerald. She found him just sitting back with his eyes closed. She could not help but stare at him. Gerald’s one eye opened which forced Kim to sit back in surprise. Kim was so embarrassed… Gerald just smiled.

Gerald: (smiling) Do you need anything Kim?

Kim: No. I was about to ask what you were doing, however, when I turned around I found your head lolled back and your eyes closed. I was trying to see if you were asleep. Sorry if I disturbed you.

Gerald: No disturbance. I was just closing my eyes. I’m just waiting to see if Dennis needs me.

Kim: (with much attitude) Why are you sitting here? I don’t get it. There are many more seats here in the arrival area.

Gerald: I know but I thought maybe you needed company. When I sat down, you returned to your work so I just closed my eyes. I didn’t want to disturb you.

Kim: (feeling awkward)  Ummm…Thank you.

Gerald: You’re welcome.

Kim: (still feeling awkward)  Ummmm… how is the shoot going from your perspective?

Gerald:  It is going pretty well. At first, I was wondering why SFO but then I remembered the bamboo garden here in international arrival area. Great choice.

Kim: One of the staffers told me about it. I remembered and approved the site.

Gerald: So how do you think things are going?

Kim: I think they are going pretty good, knock on wood. I don’t really need to be here. I trust Dennis but I just want to anticipate any problems, if any come up.

Gerald: You have a great staff Kim.  They are really working hard to make sure that things run smoothly. (silence)

Kim: I do. I’m pretty lucky. But I have a control issue. I’ve got problems but I am trying to step back which is why I am sitting back here. (thought – Why am I telling him this?! Kim! Shut up?! Why are you opening yourself up to him?!)

Gerald: A control issue? I wouldn’t have guessed.

Kim: (laughter)  Oh shut up! (playfully hits Gerald)

Gerald: And an abuser. Geez.

Kim: I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. (placing a hand on Gerald’s arm where she hit him)

Gerald: (placing his hand on top of hers) Don’t apologize. I’m just teasing you. (looking straight into her eyes)

Kim and Gerald were locked in another staring contest.

Gerald: What magic do you have on me Kimberly Chiu?

Kim didn’t say anything but pulled her hand away from Gerald’s grasp.

Kim: So… Gerald. If you are in classes, how are you able to come today? Don’t you have classes? On a Monday at that?

Gerald: I get to know my professors. They know that this is how I pay for school. I have been lucky so far. I subscribe to Campus Notes. You know those students who take notes for certain classes that you can purchase.

Kim: Are you serious? You can buy notes for your classes.

Gerald: Yes. Campus Notes hire students to be note takers in certain classes. And if I am lucky, some of the lectures are video recorded and I can access those too.  It just requires a lot of discipline for me to make sure that I study.

Kim: No parties? Fraternity? Girlfriend? (thinking to herself) Oh ! Why the hell did I ask him that last question?

Gerald: (smiling)  Sometimes parties. No time for a fraternity. And girlfriend? Well, I haven’t found the right one yet.

Kim: You are in college. A time where you enjoy your new found freedom, make the friends you want for life and possibly find your partner for life and none of that? Even if it’s not girlfriend – maybe girlfriends? (thought- Kim stop asking.  You are just too nosy and can’t shut up.)

Gerald: Let’s just say that my priorities do no fall in line with all that.

Kim: Amazing. Are you gay?

Gerald: Okay! That is the second time today! I am not gay. Shall I prove it to you?

Kim: (giggling)  I’m sorry. It’s just that you seem so surreal.

Gerald: What do you mean?

Kim: At your age, an up and coming model, in college, studying premed with no party tendencies and no girlfriend or even string of girlfriends.  You could have the world in the palm of your hands right now.

Gerald: I want substance more than anything. I don’t know. Maybe I did all that before I got to college.

Kim: Hmmmm… do tell.

Gerald: I know I’m still young but hey… I lived in the Philippines for four years and right after the time my parents divorced. I’ve had my rebellious phase.

Kim: Really? Gerald? Rebellious? (smiling)

Gerald: Wait! I’ve been talking about me? What about you? Miss Kimberly Chiu, star fashion designer, young, talented, (looking straight at her) breathtakingly beautiful. Besides your controlling nature and perfectionist streak, what are your vices? Partying? Girlfriends? Boyfriend?

Kim: Partying? No. Too busy! Girlfriends? Yes but Mel is the closest and I see her everyday. Boyfriend? None that have applied.

Gerald: Are you accepting applications?

Kim started to laugh. Gerald was smiling at her. They caught the attention of almost everyone but didn’t realize that they were noticed by others. Dennis even snuck in some shots of them laughing and smiling at each other.

Kim: Oh my gosh! I think I’m being too loud. This place echoes.

Gerald: So seriously. Why no boyfriend? (ignoring her comment)

Kim: Had one but it just didn’t click especially after I started working on my business. He couldn’t handle my hectic schedule or my devotion to my art. He wanted me all to himself. He became even more resentful when I started bringing in more money than he did.

Gerald: Are you serious? You can be my sugar mommy anytime.

Kim: (laughing)  Is that what you are looking for? A sugar mommy?

Gerald: No but I am looking for a girl with substance. Someone sweet, caring, intelligent, independent, ambitious, family oriented and someone who loves to laugh.

Kim: Hmmm… and you haven’t found someone with those qualities yet.

Gerald: I think I might have stumbled upon her…

Mel: (walking up to them)  Sorry to bother you guys.  Gerald, Dennis told me to forewarn you that he’s going to need you in a few minutes.

Gerald: Thank you Mel.  (turns to Kim)  Kim, thank you for the conversation. I hope we can continue this later. Please excuse me.

Gerald got up and headed back to where all the other models were hanging out. Kim and Mel watched him walk away.

Mel: So Kim?

Kim: So what?

Mel: I think he is interested in you.

Kim: No. We were just talking.

Mel: He looked like he was flirting with you. People flirt to tell the other person they are interested.

Kim: We were just talking.

Mel: I don’t know. The way he looks at you… it makes me feel like I’m intruding. Girl, Matt looks at me like that and I swear I feel like I’m going to melt I don’t see how you can not be affected by at.

Kim kept quiet. Mel just looked at Kim knowingly.