Chapter Fourteen: Seven PM

One Day

 

Kim finally returned with the rest of the dishes.

Kuya William: Wow Tay! What’s the occasion?

Mr. Chiu: Your sister, Kimmy, here wanted to eat.

The family started cheering and clapping while Gerald sat there in shock. Kim was sitting there glaring at all of them.

Kim: Oh be quiet all of you! You guys are such punks!

Everyone busted up laughing. Gerald just smiled.

John Paul: Let’s eat up!! (about to dig in)

Mr. Chiu: (slapping John Paul’s hand away)  Just for doing that, you say grace.

John Paul looked at his dad with a ‘no-not-me’ look. Mr. Chiu just nodded. All his siblings snickered. Gerald just smiled.

John Paul: Thank you Lord for the food we are about to eat. Thank you for gathering us around the table and thank you Lord for Ate Kimmy who wanted to eat today. Amen.

Everyone: (trying not to laugh) Amen.

Mr. Chiu: Okay, everyone. Eat up!

Everyone was passing dishes back and forth and talking and joking around.  Gerald just sat there in awe of how they interacted.  There would be a two-way conversation and someone would interject while still in the middle of another conversation. It was organized chaos -an organized way to communicate where everyone understood the language. It was amazing to watch.

Kim: Gerald? Are you okay? I know my family can be overwhelming. I’m sorry.

Gerald: Don’t apologize. I’ve never been so entertained. I’m paying attention to about 5 or 6 conversations going on at the same time. I love it. In my family, there was only me and brother so we never experienced anything like this.  I mean I have a large extended family but I can’t remember ever sitting around the table like this. It would always be buffet style. This is great. (squeezing Kim’s hand)

Kim: (smiled at him) Do you want some bao or some more adobo?

Gerald: Pass me some of both, please. Your dad is no joke. He’s probably the best cook I’ve ever eaten food from.  I need to come here more often.

Kim: You are always welcomed here.

Gerald: Thanks.  (looking at her)  I hope to always come here with you.

Kim: You can come here even if it’s not with me.

Gerald: I would rather come here with you.

Ate Lakam: So Gerald, how do you like the food?

Gerald: This is the best food I’ve eaten in a long time.

Mr. Chiu: He would say that considering that he helped prepare it.

Everyone stopped eating and talking all at once except Kim, Gerald and Mr. Chiu.

Ate Twinkle: My dad let you help?!

Gerald: Ummm… yes. Is that okay? Is the food okay? Did I do something wrong?

Kim just smiled and patted his hand and continued to eat.

Mr. Chiu: Oh Gerald… you did nothing wrong.  The kids are just in shock because I never let anyone help me in the kitchen. Maybe only your Ate Lakam. No one else had the skill or talent or desire. (sighs)

Gerald: Thank you Mr. Chiu. I am very, very honored and thankful for the lesson.

John Paul: He gave you lessons too!!! He must like you.

Kuya William: Seriously.

Mr. Chiu: Gerald’s a good guy. Something must be right with him if Kim even brought him here. You guys tell me the last time Kim brought a guy here.

All Kim’s siblings: NEVER!

Kim: Okay! Okay! That is enough. Keep talking like that, I’ll never clothe you guys ever again.

They all got quiet.

Kim: I thought so.  Gerald, you need to excuse my family and their antics.

Gerald: So… you’ve never brought another guy here to meet your family?

Kim: Gerald, don’t get too excited. You were hungry. I was hungry. I just brought you to where I wanted to eat.

Gerald: Uh huh. Yeah.

John Paul: Uh huh. Sure.

Gerald and John Paul looked at each other and busted up laughing. Kim just looked at the both of them and shook her head.

Gerald: (whispering into Kim’s ear)  I’m glad you brought me here to meet your family. (kisses her ear)

Kim didn’t respond because she was too busy trying to ignore the electrical currents that ran down her body just from Gerald’s simple kiss and his nearness.

Kim: (thought – Oh Lord! Have mercy. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe.)

Gerald knew he had an affect on Kim but kept quiet and just smiled to himself. He finally was brave enough to throw himself into the conversations that were going on at the table.

Ate Lakam: So Gerald. What’s going on between you and my baby sister?

Gerald: (smiling) We just met today. I have heard of her but never had a chance to meet her until today. We’re friends. I think. I hope.

Ate Twinkle: Uh huh. Friends. That’s it? Friends?

Gerald: I hope more but we’ll see.

Ate Lakam: So, you like Kim?

Gerald: I really like Kim.

Ate Twinkle: And you know this after one day?

Gerald: When you meet someone, you often know in an instant.

Ate Twinkle: What is this? Love at first sight?

Kim: (realizing that her sisters are grilling Gerald)  Woah sisters! Slow down. Leave Gerald alone. He’s trying to eat dinner.

Ate Lakam: Hey! We just want to know what’s up.

Kim: Ummm… I am not twelve years old. I can have guy friends.

Ate Lakam: You can have guy friends but we are meeting a guy friend who happens to have just met you today. We didn’t even meet your guy friends that you knew for a year. And we are not stupid… we can see you two are interested in each other.

Gerald: (smiling not at all disturbed from their inquisition) You are right. I am interested in Kim. I can see how this is weird but I think we are also weirded by the situation. We are learning to be friends and see where this leads us. Nothing more. And definitely nothing less. I promise that I am a gentleman and not some psycho person out to get your sister.

Kim: You better not be some psycho.

Gerald: I promise I’m not. Plus you’ve met people who’ve known me for quite awhile. People whom you respect.

Kim: Who?

Gerald: Dennis.

Kim: You got me there. I have much respect for Dennis.

Ate Lakam: Who’s Dennis?

Kim: Dennis, Dennis Davis. One of the top fashion photographers in our business. He was my photographer for today. He’s helping me with the pictures for my catalogue. Gerald and Dennis happen to know each other and have worked together many times.

Gerald: Dennis was the first photographer to shoot me.

Ate Twinkle: So how did you end up modeling.

Gerald: I was ‘discovered’ while on campus. When they told how much I could get paid, I said why not and gave it a shot. So here I am. It pays for school. I don’t have to bug my parents for money.

Ate Twinkle: So you still go to school?

Gerald: You’re probably the third person today surprised by that. I’m not going to look like this forever. You need something else to fall back on. And to be honest, I’m doing it for the money for school.

Kuya William: Gerald, ignore the girls. They are so nosy.

Ate Twinkle: Nosey! You are such a punk! We are trying to get to know him. He’s going out with our sister.

Kim: He’s not my  boyfriend.

Ate Lakam: Yeah right. If he’s not… then you’re stupid. He’s hot. He’s smart and he’s got common sense.

Gerald just smiled. Kim just glared at her sisters.

Kuya William: So Gerald… (ignoring his sisters) Do you play any sports?

Gerald: Unfortunately, not as much as I want to. I played basketball in high school and sometimes do IM with some friends at school. I just try to play with friends here and there. Basketball is a passion and I love the game but school comes first.

Kuya William: I hear you. Do you ever get a chance to see any of the NBA games?

Gerald: Unfortunately, not yet, which is surprising with the Warriors right near us. But I watch it on TV when I can.

Kuya William: We should go. I have season tickets.

Gerald: No way! I would love to.

Kuya William: Great! Every time I bring John Paul, he is more interested in getting food and walking around instead of actually watching the game.

John Paul: What?! The games you’ve taken me to were boring.

Kuya William just shook his head.

Gerald: Let me guess John Paul. You would rather be playing video games.

John Paul: (eyes lighting up)  Do you play video games?

Gerald: I had to buy a Wii and I love to play the boxing and bowling games. I also have Mario Kart and Guitar Hero.

John Paul: Cool! We should play sometime.

Gerald: Definitely! What do you like to play?

John Paul: Lego Star Wars.

Gerald: Good game! I love Star Wars. Have you watched the movies? All of them?

John Paul: Yeah.

Gerald: Which one is your favorite?

John Paul: I think Return of the Jedi.

Gerald: I am impressed. Most kids are into the new trilogy.

John Paul: I’m a classic kind of person.

Kim: classic, classic, ka dyan. Humph.

Gerald: Do you like Star Wars Kim?

Kim: Definitely. It was bad acting but you can’t beat a George Lucas film.

Gerald: Prequel or classic?

Kim: Classic of course. Lea was the woman. She was tough, smart and commanding.

Gerald: Sounds like someone I know.

Kim: Ha! Ha! You are too funny. Would you like any more food?

Gerald: Definitely. Dim Sum please…