Chapter Four: Nine AM

One Day

 

The hair stylists and make-up artists continued with the models to ensure each had the look Kim wanted for each of them.  Kim left the room with Mel behind her. Another one of Kim’s staff came and called each model by name to bring them to the make-shift photo studio.

Gerald: So man? Any comments?

David: Bro! She’s hot!

Gerald: Which one?

David: Definitely both.  The boss lady is a knockout. You’re right. Not what I expected but who’s the one always with her.

Gerald: That’s Mel, short for Melissa.  She is basically Kim’s right hand, left hand and maybe the one person I’ve noticed who keeps her sane and grounded. 

David: You seem to know a lot.

Gerald: Hey, I was here for quite a while before anyone got here. I got a chance to talk to Mel for quite awhile.

David: Can you introduce me later?

Gerald: She knows who you are. (laughing)

David: Well… a formal introduction might be better. Come on man.

Gerald: What? No smooth moves in your extensive library.

David: (laughing) What about you? I saw you looking at Kim.

Gerald: (chuckling) She is a sure knockout but do you know what I like about her?

David: What’s that?

Gerald: That cockiness and command she has of the room. I love it. Reminds me of that Ne-Yo song ‘Miss Independent’.

David: Models never catch your eye despite their attempts like Miss Nina over there.

Gerald: I need substance man.  You, you don’t seem to care. Mel has substance so if that’s not what you are looking for, step back man.

David: Step back? From that? Oh hell no, man.

Gerald: At least I warned you. She’s cool.

One by one each of the models were called in to begin the day’s photo shoot starting in their make-shift studio. Each of the models were dressed in an original K Chiu design that modernized and captured Filipino traditional wear from the barong, Maria Clara, and other native wear.  The pieces were spectacular.  Each model was brought in one by one to take their shots.  Things went relatively smoothly. 

Gerald was finally called in to the make shift studio right as the hairstylists and make-up artists were done with him. Gerald was dressed in a hand embroidered barong in black.  He looked extremely handsome, with most of the girls, models and Kim’s staff alike, just staring at him.  He didn’t realize how easy he caught their attention but what he did realize was that Kim didn’t even glance at him.

Photographer: (shaking his hand)  Gerald, it’s good to see you again.

Gerald: Dennis! It’s great to see you too.  I didn’t even realize you were the photographer for this shoot. What did you do? Sneak through the back?

Dennis: No.  I think you might have been with all the models when I came in to see if this was all set up.  I’m glad you are on this project.  At least I know part of my shoots will go well.

Gerald: Thank you man.  Likewise! I know you’re going to make me look somewhat decent in these pics.  Hopefully, make the boss lady proud.

Dennis: So you’ve finally met Kimberly Chiu. 

Gerald: Yeah.  Someone could have forewarned me what a knockout she was.  I had it in my head she was some matronly lady with black rimmed eye glasses.

Dennis: (laughing)  Were you wrong.  You’re going to like her. She is one of the more descent and not so dramatic fashion designers that I have worked with.  She’s a good girl.  She works hard. Yes she’s a knockout but knowing you, it’s more than that that is catching your eye. Am I right?

Gerald: You know me too well. (smiling)

Dennis: Good luck man. She’s a tough cookie. (laughing) Are you ready?

Gerald: Just tell me what you want me to do.

Dennis: Okay Gerald! Let’s get to work…

Over the next half hour, Dennis worked with Gerald as he instructed him into several poses to highlight the K Chiu original he was wearing.  All the models were watching Gerald in action.  He was a natural talent that Dennis could not stop praising Gerald as he followed Dennis’ instructions.  Several of Kim’s staff stopped what they were doing just to watch Gerald in action.  Kim eventually was lured to the make shift studio from her office when she noticed that some of her staff were not nearby.  When she walked into the converted photo studio area, she noticed that practically everyone was there watching the shoot, even Mel, who she asked to put together the last minute changes to today’s itinerary. She then saw what everyone was watching. Gerald. It was his turn in front of the camera.  She was amazed by his talent and became mesmerized by Gerald’s ability to capture whatever Dennis threw at him. She could not tear her eyes away from him. He looked absolutely gorgeous in her design.

Dennis: Gerald, look like you found the woman of your dreams. Love at first sight.

Gerald looked up and locked eyes with Kim.

Dennis: That’s it!! Don’t move. Keep that Gerald.

As Dennis continued to click away, Gerald kept his eyes locked on Kim.  Kim could not tear her eyes away.  Gerald’s body moved but his eyes kept Kim’s gaze locked on him.

Dennis: Okay Gerald. That was amazing!! Congratulations! We’re done.

Kim finally tore her gaze away from Gerald and left the room. Gerald turned to Dennis.

Dennis: I don’t know what happened but man, you were on fire. That was great. You want to see the pics I got from that.

Gerald: Yeah. Let me see what damaged I’ve done.

Dennis: (showing him the pics on the computer) I don’t think this is damaged man. Look at you.

Gerald: These are amazing Dennis. Thank you!

David: Dude! You did good! What got into you?

Mel: Gerald! Wow! Great job. Thank you Dennis. These are amazing. Let me get Kim. She might want to see these. She was just here.

Mel left and went to get Kim. Kim was in her office just sitting staring outside her window.

Mel: Kimmy.  You have to come see the pics of Gerald. You are so going to be pleased. Hey are you okay?

Kim: (pulled from her reverie)  Huh?  Yeah! Yeah! Gerald did a great job out there. I would love to see the pics.

Mel: Is everything okay?

Kim: Yeah. Everything is good. I want everyone to start packing up and head to the next site. 

Mel: Did you still want to see the pics?

Kim: Yes. Let me just grab my bag. Give everyone a heads up.

Mel: Sure. (looking at her curiously)

Kim: (thinking to herself) What just happened back there? Kim, get yourself together. You don’t even know him.

Kim took a deep breath. She picked up her bag and then headed back to the studio where she found Dennis packing up his equipment.

Kim: Hi Dennis. I heard the photos are going well so far.

Dennis: Would you like to see them?  You need to see the pictures of Gerald, especially the last few shots.  Something or if I may someone (looking at Kim) inspired him because I see a difference between the first few photos and the last shoots I have on him.

Kim did not say anything but began to look at the shots of all the models. As always, she was impressed with Dennis’ work.  She then came upon Gerald’s shots and gasped when she came upon the last few shots of him.

Dennis: I take it that you are now looking at the ones of Gerald. Powerful, isn’t it?

Kim: He captured everything I wanted my clothes to say to people. Dennis, you’ve outdone yourself.

Dennis: Some of the credit needs to go to Gerald and to whomever or whatever inspired him.

Kim didn’t say anything. Gerald came up to where Kim and Dennis were standing.

Gerald: Dennis. Do you need any help?

Dennis: Sure. I appreciate it.

Kim froze at the sound of his voice. She could feel his stare on her back. She stood up and took a deep breath and turned around. She looked straight into his eyes and felt rooted to the spot. She finally found her voice.

Kim: (in a monotone voice) Gerald, you did a great job with your initial photo shoot. Thank you.

Gerald: You are welcome. I am glad you like the shots.  Dennis is a great photographer and I am lucky to have worked with him on several projects. They are always my most successful ones.

Kim: Which is why I hired him.  No one but the best.

Dennis: You two are building up my ego but I am no good unless my subject responds. Gerald what were you thinking during the last shots I took of you? (smiling)

Gerald: (looked at Dennis then looked at Kim) You told me to look like I fell in love at first sight or have found the woman of my dreams so that’s what I did.

Dennis: Maybe you should be an actor. It was very convincing.

Gerald: (still looking at Kim) I wasn’t acting.