Chapter Seventeen: Ten PM

One Day

 

Gerald took all their goodies and walked to the cash register where he paid for everything despite Kim’s objections. They walked back to the car with all their recent purchases.

Kim: (looking up at him)  Is this a date?

Gerald: (smiling down at her)  A date? Hmmmmm…. Unofficially yes.

Kim: Unofficially?

Gerald: Well… we started this day with work. Not a date. We went to dinner with your family. Not a date. So far… not a date. And this is considered unofficial because when I take you out, I promise a real date.

Kim: And what is a real date?

Gerald: You are just going to have to say ‘yes’ and find out.

Kim: Why? Are you asking?

Gerald: Only if you are going to say yes.

Kim: How are you going to find out if you don’t ask?

Gerald: Are you going to say yes?

Kim: Are you going to ask?

Gerald: I don’t know. What if I don’t like you after tonight?

Kim stopped in mid-stride and looked at him.

Kim: I think we are done. I’ll just go find me a taxi.

Kim just put the bags down and walked away. Gerald grabbed the bags and raced after her. He got ahead of her and blocked her way.

Gerald: Hey! Why are you leaving?

Kim: Well… since you are not so sure whether you like me or not, let’s just make this easy and end this clean and quick.

Gerald: I was just kidding. I’m sorry….Kim.

Kim: Kim, what! That Gerald.

Gerald: I’m sorry. I’m so sorry. I was just teasing. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I am so sorry.

Gerald hugged Kim real tight and kissed the top of her head.

Gerald: Kim, I’m sorry. I really was just teasing. You have to know that I like you. I like you a lot.

Kim: Whatever.

Gerald: Kim. I said I was sorry. I really am. This is the learning part. How much I can and cannot tease you. What foods you like…if you like animals…what is your favorite color…what music you listen to… and what your teasing limits are. I will learn as long as you give me a chance to get to know you. And I want to get to know you. It’s not going to be a perfect journey but I know it is a journey I want to go on. There is something that is telling me that this is right. Please. (extended his hand to her)

Kim looked at him warily and decided to grab his hand.  They walked back to Gerald’s car in silence. Gerald kept sneaking glances at Kim to see if she was okay. Kim just kept looking forward. Gerald opened her side of the car and made sure she was settled in before he went to the trunk of the car to put their shopping bags away. He opened the driver’s side of the car and sat down. Gerald didn’t start the car right away. A heavy silence hung in the car.

Gerald: (finally turning to Kim) Are you going to forgive me?

Kim: (turning to Gerald) That just . I don’t want to play games Gerald. If we are playing a game, I don’t want to be a part of it. I’ve played too many games before. You unfortunately met The Game Master tonight. I don’t want a repeat of that. I want it straightforward, honest and real. You’ve been that to me today. Overwhelming but definitely real. But when you made that comment, it made me feel like I was back with Enchong. He use to say things like that to me.

Gerald: Kim… (grabbing her hand) I am truly, truly sorry. It was a bad joke. I promise never to ever play with your emotions, even as a joke.  And please don’t compare this to Enchong because I know that this is better and more real than anything I’ve ever felt for anyone else in my life. I know you feel it too. Just please forgive me and let’s forget what I said. Please. I don’t like this heaviness around us.

Kim: You’re forgiven. And I am sorry if I’m overacting. I think with Enchong showing up tonight and me already riding this roller coaster of emotions today… I guess I’m just sensitive right now. Let’s move on. (silence)    So… where are you taking me?

Gerald reached over and tucked Kim’s hair behind her ear. Kim looked over at him. Gerald was looking at her, not smiling, just looking.

Kim: So are we going or not?

Gerald didn’t answer her right away and leaned over and kissed her temple.

Gerald: Let’s go.

Gerald was quiet as he drove the car.  He was deep in thought about what just happened to them.

Gerald: (thinking to himself – Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! She almost left you right there. Why didn’t pay attention to the fact that today has just been too much, especially for her? The fact that came by at the restaurant didn’t help any. Pay attention Gerald! Pay attention or else you will lose her before this even begins!)

Kim was quiet as they drove.  She didn’t really pay attention to where Gerald was driving.

Kim: (thinking to himself – Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Why did you almost leave?! You are being so sensitive! He was just kidding! Geez! What is wrong with you?! He is going to think you are some crazed, overdramatic fool!  You are acting too high strung! Pay attention Kim! Pay attention or else you will lose him before this even begins!)

She was so deep in thought that she was surprised when they finally came to a stop. They were in front of a 7-Eleven.

Kim: Why are we here?

Gerald: Hold on real quick okay?

Gerald rummaged through their bags and pulled up the thermos.  He ran inside to the 7-Eleven and returned within a few minutes with the same thermos in hand.

Gerald: Can you hold this? (passing the thermos to Kim) Just be careful because it is hot. Okay?

Kim: Okay. (taking the thermos carefully)

Gerald then restarted the engine and began driving again. Kim returned to her thoughts.  Though there was no conversation in the car, both of them were heavily immersed in their emotions and could not stop about the events of the day.  Finally, Gerald turned off the engine and just sat in his seat in silence. Kim finally looked up and gasped.

Kim: It’s beautiful up here! Oh my! Where are we?

Gerald: You are an SF girl and you’ve never been up to Twin Peaks?! (smiling to himself)

Kim: We are at Twin Peaks? (silence)  I’ve never come here because isn’t this only for lovers?

Gerald: And you’ve never been here before? Not even with a former boyfriend?

Kim: No. Like I wanted to be alone with that fool here. No way.

Gerald: I’m sorry. Actually, I’m not really sorry considering that I like the fact that we came here together for the first time. However, I should have asked you first. Is it okay that we are up here? I just thought that the view was nice up here and on a weekday, we would get some privacy.

Kim: (noticing that they were pretty much the only car there)  It’s beautiful here Gerald.

Gerald: Do you like?

Kim: Yes. I do like. So now I understand the flashlight, blankets and thermos.  So wait a minute, this is your first time up here too?

Gerald: Yes. Why would I come up here? Like you said, it’s known for lovers. Come on, my princess, your kingdom awaits.

Gerald exited the car and went around to Kim’s side to open the door for her. He extended his hand to her and without hesitation; she took his hand and walked into the night breeze with him.