Chapter Five: Ten AM

One Day

 

Everyone loaded up into the several vans that were rented for the day. Gerald was helping Dennis load up his equipment and ended up in the van with Kim because the other vans were full.

Gerald: Do you guys mind if I ride here with you guys? The other vans seem to be full.

Mel: Come on in Gerald. I saw your pics. You did great.

Gerald climbed into the van and sat right behind Kim and Mel.

Gerald: Thanks Mel.  The clothes are pretty awesome. I have a few barongs at home but none that look like the one I was wearing. Kim, you have a great fashion line.  I’m a fan of your designs.

Kim: Thank you Gerald. (not looking up)

Mel: (sensing Kim’s uneasiness) So Gerald, you’ve worked with Dennis before?

Gerald: (looking into Kim’s back) Yes. I’ve been very fortunate.  Actually, he was the first photographer to shoot me. I was very lucky.

Mel: He’s amazing. We are so happy to have landed him.

Gerald: He has much respect for Kim which is why he is doing this project.

Kim: (finally looked up and looked back at Gerald) He said that.

Gerald: (smiling at Kim with his eyes) Yes, he did. He really respects you which says a lot with how long he’s been in the business.

Kim: He seems to feel the same about you.

Gerald: We have a great professional relationship. I’ve been fortunate.  He’s been a good teacher.  So tell me Kim, how long have you been doing this?

Kim: All my life but business wise. 2 years.

Gerald: Two years!!! And you’re doing New York Fashion Week!!! Wow!!! Now I’m really impressed.

Kim: What about you? How long have you been doing this?

Gerald: This will be my 4th year.  I was ‘discovered’ my freshman year in college.

Kim: So you use to go to college. Found the money and fame so you’re now focused on this.

Gerald: Not really. I mean I model but I still go to college. It’s the only reason why I do this.

Kim: (looking at him curiously) I would have never thought that about you.

Gerald: Why?

Kim: I don’t know. Looking the way you look. You can make a lot more money doing this.

Gerald: The way I look?

Kim ignored his question. Gerald continued on…

Gerald: But people may get tired of my looks. I will age. Things change. I don’t want to rely on this only.

Kim couldn’t stop her curiosity about Gerald.

Kim: Smart. So what are you studying?

Gerald: Biochemistry.

Kim: Why?

Gerald: Interesting. I want to go to med school, hopefully.

Kim: And you like it?

Gerald: Definitely. Chemistry in living organisms. Interesting. What I like more is where I’m hopefully headed.

Kim: And where’s that.

Gerald: I want to be a regular doctor for families, especially children.

Kim: Commendable. Are you real? (thoughts – Did that just come out of my mouth?)

Gerald: What do you mean?

Kim: I mean. You’re a guy. A handsome one at that. A successful model at that and you want to be a doctor. You have ambition, purpose and good sense of self. You’re the type of guy every girl dreams of to bring home to parents.

Gerald: Is that your dream? (smiling right at her)

Kim: (finally cracking a smile)  Funny. Right now, my dream is to be semi successful in the fashion world. (thinking to herself) That smile can melt me to pieces. Lord help me. What is wrong with me? I’ve seen many models. Kim snap out of it!

Gerald: It seems to me that you have done that. How many designers make it to New York Fashion Week with a buzz surrounding them?

Kim: It’s disconcerting because it will either be my demise or my rise.

Gerald: Kim, if what I hear in the fashion world is correct. You have nothing to worry about.

Kim: Thanks Gerald for the vote of confidence but (sighs) you worry about how people are going to rip your ideas to shreds. (shaking her head)  I can’t think about that right now.

Mel: (finally saying something) It’s her flaw. She’s a natural worry wart which is worsened by her need for perfection, which is why she is so hard on everyone.

Kim and Gerald finally realized that they were not the only people in the van. It was weird for both of them.

Gerald: So you’re a perfectionist. Isn’t the fall harder? You miss out on a lot of things when you live in perfection.

Kim: What do you know?

Gerald: When things don’t meet your expectations, the disappointment can be debilitating.

Kim: Debilitating?

Gerald: Can’t sleep. Don’t want to go out. Don’t want to eat. Debilitating.

Kim: (looking at Gerald curiously) Experienced?

Gerald: Experienced. Unfortunately.

Kim: Understand.

Mel: Kim. We’re here.

Kim placed her hand on Gerald’s hand and then exited the van without looking back at him. Gerald watched her leave. He smiled to himself and exited the van. He noticed that they were at the San Francisco International Airport at the International arrival area. He wasn’t paying attention to where they were going. He was so engrossed in their conversation that he didn’t even know where they were headed.

Gerald: (thinking to himself) Why here? Interesting choice of location.

Gerald then remembered that there were bamboo trees right at international arrivals.  Those would be a great background for the items that Kim had for her fashion line. He couldn’t wait to see what Dennis had in mind.  He finally entered the building after carrying some of Dennis’ equipment in. The place was pretty much ready. Kim was with Mel, talking to one of her employees.  She was walking around inspecting the set up without speaking.  She was making the same sounds with .  When she was done, she walked away without a word. Gerald saw Mel turn to the employee and smile at them, which allowed the employee breath a sigh of relief.  

The same routine happened that happened at Kim’s studio. The hairstylists and make up artists were just touching up all the models.  He was probably the last one that needed attention, so he ran over to where he needed to be.  They were called one by one at first to take pictures in front of the lighted bamboo garden.  Then Dennis began to pair them up to take more photos. Some of the models changed into different outfits. Regardless, things flowed pretty smoothly.

At one point, Gerald wasn’t doing much so he decided to sit down across from where everyone was at, at one of the airport mesh chairs lined up against the window. When he started to walk in that direction, he noticed Kim was already seated where he was headed so he decided to go near her.

Gerald: Excuse me Miss? Is this seat taken?

Kim: (looking up with no expression – thinking to herself) Of all the hundreds of seats lining up this airport, he has to sit next to me) No. Have a seat.

Kim then returns to the notes she was reading. Gerald didn’t say anything but remained quiet right next to her.