Chapter Twenty-One: Two AM

One Day

 

Gerald wrapped his arms around Kim and pulled her against his body. Kim looked up at Gerald with much anticipation. Gerald slowly lowered his head and gently kissed Kim’s lips, taking her breath away…he gently pushed his tongue against her lips which she willingly accepted, deepening the kiss. And it was there in the corner of the VIP lounge that Kim knew she was in deeper than she thought.

She needed to think…

Kim: Ummm… Gerald… I’m going to go to restroom. I’ll be right back.

Gerald: Do you want me to go with you?

Kim: You cannot go inside the ladies’ restroom with me. Weirdo.

Gerald: Weirdo?! I was trying to be a gentleman.  I was just going to wait outside unless…

Kim: Unless what?

Gerald: You have other plans for us. I’m game.

Kim: That is so disgusting! In a public bathroom.

Gerald: Actually, now that you say that out loud, that does sound disgusting. I’ll wait here for you.

As Kim walked away, she quickly texted Mel to meet her at the ladies room. Luckily for Kim, Mel received her text message right away and excused herself from Matt.

As Kim walked away…Gerald could not keep his eyes off her.  He knew that after today, tonight, this early morning, he was never going to let her go. In such a short time, Kim had made her mark on his heart.

Gerald: (thinking to himself-  This is crazy!! I just met her.

But you were hit with a ton of bricks the moment you first laid eyes on her. And you just kept falling every moment you spent with her.

She’s going to continue to fight you.

But she’s worth the fight.

How do you know this is real? This could just be your hormones speaking for you.

I’m pretty sure that that is not the only thing. I mean I am way attracted to her but just being next to her, talking to her, holding her, kissing her… it’s enough.

You have it bad.

I do. She fits me. I've never felt like this before. I don't want to let go.

What are you going to do?

Hold on tight. And hold on to her.

Good luck!

I must be going crazy if I’m even having a debate with myself!)

 

 

In the ladies room…

Mel: Okay Kim. What’s going on?

Kim: Mel… I need to leave.

Mel: Okay…  why don’t you just tell Gerald who I remember is the person you came in with?

Kim: Ummm… I don’t want to ask him to drive me home.  We just got here. He was invited here by his best friend. I’m too embarrassed to ask him.

Mel started looking at Kim funny. Kim felt uncomfortable under her scrutiny.

Mel: So let me get this straight. You are too embarrassed to ask Gerald to take your home?

Kim: Yes.

Mel: And only because he was invited here by his best friend, who happens to be my gorgeous boyfriend.  Which by the way, I think is really cool. Anyways, I digress. You want me to help you leave.  What do you want to do?

Kim: Help me get a taxi. Drop me off. Call someone. I don’t know. Get me out of here!

Mel: Are things not going well between you two?  Ummm…. If I’m not mistaken, we saw you two all up on each other in the corner of the VIP lounge.

Kim: Things are cool.  I mean Mel… how is this going to work? He’s a model. I’m a designer. He’s still in school to be doctor. I’m running a business. Our lives run parallel. We are not meant to cross.

Mel: Are you trying to tell yourself that?

Silence…

Mel: Wait a minute… Are you going to leave without saying good-bye?

Kim remained silent, looking at Mel pleadingly.

Mel: You are! Kim! What the hell is going on?(Looks at Kim and then realization dawned on her) . You are trying to run away from him!

Kim: No… I’m just trying to get home. It is late. I’m tired.

Mel: You don’t look tired. (interrupting)

Kim: It’s already been a long day. (ignoring Mel’s comment)

Mel: Really? I think you are trying to escape Gerald. Not that Gerald is holding you ransom but… Kim… be honest with me. Why are trying to run away?

Kim: I’m not running away.

Mel: (crosses her arms) I don’t believe you. Explain.

Kim: Never mind. I better get back to Gerald. He is probably wondering what’s taking me so long.

Kim walked away from Mel but Mel just followed her out with a huge grin on her face.

Mel: (whispering in Kim’s ear) You are falling for him, aren’t you? And you are scared.

Kim: Whatever girl. That’s crazy.

Mel: Uh huh. Go ahead. Keep telling yourself that. Face it girl.  See what happens. Don’t fight it.

Kim: Shut up!

Mel just laughed.

Gerald: What are you two laughing about?

Matt: It looks like only Mel is laughing.

Kim: Nothing. Gerald, I’m sorry. If you don’t mind, I’m going to head home. I’m tired and I have a long day tomorrow. You can stay. I’ll just grab a taxi.

Gerald: Over my dead body. I’ll take you home Kim.

He stood up and wrapped an arm around her waist, brushing her hair away from her eyes.

Gerald: Kim… you should have told me that you were tired.

Kim: I’m okay. It’s just been a long day and I should get some rest.

Gerald: Let’s go. (turning to Matt)  Bro! Thank you for the invite. I’m sorry to cut out so short but I need to take the lady home.  (turning to Mel)  It was great to meet you and even more wonderful to work with you. You, being Matt’s girl, are an added bonus. He finally did good. (smiling at Mel)

Mel: Take care of my girl.

Gerald: I will if she will let me. (looking down at Kim)

Kim: It was great to meet you Matt. I’m sorry.

Matt: Don’t be sorry.  I’m really glad Gerald brought you.  We should have called earlier but then again… we would have interrupted your romantic session.

Kim and Gerald just smiled at each other.

Kim: Seriously Gerald. I can just get a taxi.

Gerald: I’m ignoring you right now. Say ‘bye’ Kim.

Kim: Gerald.

Gerald: Say bye Kim.

Kim: Bye guys. Thank you again. See you tomorrow Mel. Or actually… don’t come in. I will only be reviewing pics from today.

Mel: Seriously? 

Kim: It’s already been a long day and a long night. Enjoy the day off and spend it with your man or go pamper yourself.

Mel: Thanks boss.

Kim: Don’t thank the boss. Thank the friend.

Kim walked over to where Mel was standing. Mel hugged Kim.

Mel: (whispered to Kim) It will be okay.

Kim: (whispered back)  How do you know? Don’t you think this is going too fast? It’s just been one day.

Mel: The heart has no time. Just follow this…

Kim: This is scary.

Mel: Gerald is a good guy.

Kim: How do you know when we just met him?

Mel: You have to let go and believe sometimes. He hasn’t shown any difference.

Kim: One day?

Mel: In one day. Let go Kim. It will be okay.

Matt: What are you two talking about?

Mel: Girl stuff.

Kim: I think I am going to cry.

Mel: Don’t cry.

Kim: This is too overwhelming Mel.

Mel: You are falling for him. Don’t worry. I think he is going to catch you and not let go.

Kim: This is crazy.

Mel: I think it is romantic.

Kim: Do you think they can hear what we are talking about?

Mel: I don’t know but they are looking over at us with questions written all over their faces. I think they know we are talking about them.

Kim: I better go. See you. Thank you!!

Kim turned around and faced Matt and Gerald staring at both of them.

Kim: What?! Can’t two girlfriends talk? Geez.

Gerald and Matt looked at each other and smiled. They didn’t say a word. Gerald and Matt were smart to keep their mouths shut especially when they noticed the girls looking at them with their eyebrows raised, challenging them to say one word. Gerald just held his hand out to Kim. Kim looked at Mel, who slightly nodded, and then turned back to Gerald to take his hand. Kim and Gerald then left the VIP lounge and headed out.

Kim was quiet in the car.

Gerald: Kim, is everything okay? You seem quiet.

Kim: Just tired.

Gerald: Why don’t you close your eyes?

Kim: How am I going to tell which way to go to my place?

Gerald: Good point. Unless…

Kim: Unless, what?

Gerald: You can come stay at mine.

Kim: Umm…Gerald… this is going too fast for any of that to happen.

Gerald: Who said that THAT had to happen? I’m just saying that you can stay over my place.

Kim: My place is closer. Thank you.

Gerald: You’re welcome and you’re always welcomed.

Kim: Don’t worry… my place isn’t that far from here.

Gerald:  Tell me the way…

Kim began to give Gerald directions of where to go to her one bedroom condo.

Gerald eventually pulled up to these luxury loft condominiums in South Beach and was impressed.

Gerald: Wow! This place is… wow! You live here?

Kim: Yes. I have a one bedroom, 2 story condo here.

Kim closed her eyes and then took a deep breath.

Kim: Would you like to come up?

Gerald: Are you sure? I know you are tired. It is almost 3am.

Kim: You don’t have to if you don’t want to…

Gerald: (putting his hand on Kim’s hand)  I want to.  I just want to make sure that it’s okay with you.

Kim: It’s okay with me. I offered, remember?

Gerald: Yes you did. Let’s try this again.

Kim: (smiling at Gerald) Gerald, would you like to come up?

Gerald: I would love to.

Gerald and Kim headed upstairs using the elevator to Kim’s condo.