Chapter Eleven: Four PM

One Day

 

Kim and Gerald continued to talk and whisper as they waited for further instructions.

Gerald: Kim?

Kim: Gerald? (looking up at him)

Gerald: You take my breath away. What power do you hold over me?

Kim: I’ve asked you the same thing.

Gerald: (smiling, while playing with the ends of her hair) So where’s your family? (changing the topic)

Kim: My dad is right here in San Francisco, as well as my siblings.

Gerald: Do you live with them?

Kim: No. Ate Lakam and Ate Twinkle also have their own places. Only Kuya William and John Paul live with dad. It’s an all-boy home but you would never know it walking in. The place is immaculate. I think that perfectionist streak runs through our blood.

Gerald: So what does your dad do?

Kim: He has a Chinese restaurant right in the middle of Chinatown.  I am proud because so many people stand in line early in the morning just waiting for his pastries and the place is packed because of his dim sum. Some people also know that he serves Filipino food if requested. I should take you there.

Gerald: So wait… where were you born?

Kim: In the Philippines on the island of Leyte.

Gerald: Really? Still speak the language?

Kim: Bisaya and Tagalog.

Gerald: So… makasulti ka og bisaya?

Kim: gamay. (looking at him in shock) ikaw pod?

Gerald: My mom is from Gen San. I was born in Subic Bay.

Kim: Did you live there long?

Gerald: No. US Navy father. We lived in Missouri but when my parents separated, I moved to Gen San where my mom decided to settle down. I left the Philippines so I could go to college out here.

Kim: You were probably a star there.

Gerald: No. Not at all. I think I was looked at as a weirdo. I struggled with the food, with the climate, and definitely with the language, the school system.  It was hard at first but I had some really close friends and family that helped me along the way. What about you? How did you end up here?

Kim:  My dad had already immigrated here when I was young.  My mom left us.  I guess she couldn’t handle with 4 kids and dad being on a different continent.  My dad had already petitioned us so we came here.  My dad started off as a waiter for a Chinese restaurant and moved his way up to head chef.  He saved up enough money and had a good friend who believed in him and loaned him money to start a restaurant.  He has long since paid his friend back and has been successful. All of us worked in that restaurant. I still help out whenever I could. I am a great waitress.

Gerald: I’m sure you are. I would give you a big tip just smiling at me like that.

Kim: (laughing)  You’ve learned my secret.

Gerald: (laughing) Hmmm… I don’t know if I would like you smiling at other guys like that. I would like to think your smile is only for me.

Kim: (rolling her eyes)  Pleeeaasse… what a line.

Gerald:  (laughing) No line. The truth.  (caressing her cheek)  Your smile pierces me.

Kim: (not laughing anymore)  oh my…

Gerald: What did you say?

Kim: Nothing. So tell me? Where are your parents?

Gerald: Mom is still in Gen San and so is my younger brother, Ken. My dad is also there in the Philippines living near Subic Bay but he flies back and forth between there and Missouri.  He stops by here to see me when he goes back and forth. It’s cool.

Kim: When was the last time you were in the Philippines?

Gerald: During the summer break. I love going back there. What about you? When was the last time you went back to the Philippines?

Kim: Just recently before I did this line. I went to visit my lola in Cebu. I was inspired from my trip that I wanted to create a fashion line that reflected my Filipino roots. I felt like I feel in love all over again when I went home.

Gerald: Hmmm… I know what you mean. You go home to the Philippines and it feels like your soul is at peace.

Kim: Exactly. When are planning to go back?

Gerald: I don’t know. Want to go back and visit together?

Kim: Huh?

Gerald: It would be a lot of fun. You can show me Cebu and I can meet your lola. And I can take you to Gen San so you can meet my mom.

Kim: You want me to meet your mom?

Gerald: Why not? She would love you.

Kim: And how would you introduce me? Mom, this is some random girl I met at a photo shoot so I wanted to fly thousands of miles across the ocean to introduce you to her.

Gerald: No… I think it would be more like: Mom, I want you to meet Kimberly Sue Yap Chiu. Remember, I spoke to you about her.  She is a very successful designer and I was fortunate to have met her during one of my job assignments. She is very talented and intelligent and I wanted you to meet her because I think you would love her as much as I do.

Kim looked up at Gerald in silence. Gerald looked back down at Kim. He pulled her close to him and enveloped her in his arms.

Kim: Gerald?

Gerald: hmmm?

Kim: Aren’t we supposed to be taking pics?

Gerald: (looks up) Dennis?

Dennis: yup Gerald?

Gerald: Are you ready?

Dennis: Been ready… (smiling)

Gerald: What do you need us to do?

Kim: Dennis… remember, I haven’t done this before.

Dennis: You are going to do great.  Kim… go ahead and sit down on the ornate chair right there. Gerald, go ahead and stand behind her. Look like a formal presidential portrait. Kim, hands folded on your lap. Elongate your neck. Gerald, your hand on chair. Perfect.

Dennis began to take more pictures of them.  He added more of the models posing in the background. Dennis was enjoying himself but what he loved most was the apparent chemistry between Gerald and Kim. The camera doesn’t lie.

As Dennis kept taking pictures…

Gerald: So… what do you love most about your job?

Kim: I love endless possibilities, the creativity.

Gerald: How did you get into this?

Kim: Remember when I said that I have been doing this pretty much since the day I was born. It was an exaggeration but it’s true. My dad tells me that when I would constantly change my dolls clothes into these different outfits and mismatch them creating new ‘looks’. It became even more of an obsession when I was given Barbies as gifts. I began to make them their own clothes from fabric scraps. My family bought me my own sewing machine for Christmas when I was about 9 years old and I was in heaven. I began drawing designs. My dad finally realized that I had a talent and passion for it so I went to school at the Art Institute of California right here in San Francisco. Graduated in 2 years and here I am. I was fortunate to intern for 1 year as part of my studies in New York City. That was pretty awesome. It laid a lot of groundwork for me.  They offered me a job right after but I decided that I was too creative to follow someone else’s orders. I wanted it my way. It’s the perfectionist and stubborn streak in me.

Gerald: And look at you now.

Kim: I didn’t burn bridges and have kept my mentors who support me. It’s a cut throat business but I have been fortunate to connect with people that are genuinely interested in my success.

Gerald:  You’re good people Kim. It’s apparent, no matter how tough you try to be.

Kim: Try to be?

Gerald: I don’t doubt that you are a tough cookie and could hold your own. You wouldn’t be doing this otherwise.

Kim: Thank you.

Gerald: But, beneath there is a woman who is vulnerable, who really cares about people and who loves her family.

Kim: Really? How do you know this is true?

Gerald: You are here even though you don’t need to be. Your staff has been on top of everything. But you want to make sure everything is right because you know it will be a reflection of you. I know this project is important to you which is why you are here. I also know that though you are tough on your staff and have high expectations, regardless, they respect you. You’ve taken care of everyone – the luncheon, transportation, snacks & drinks at each location.

Kim: My staff took care of that.

Gerald: But who told them to do that.

Kim: Well… you want to be a good host. My dad would be so disappointed if I didn’t do this right.

Gerald: See what I mean. When you speak about your family, your face lights up. It is apparent that they are very important to you.

Kim: What about you?

Gerald: What about me?

Kim: Let’s see… An intelligent, handsome man who is strong in Filipino values, love of family and traditional at heart. You are confident in who you are as a person and you don’t care what others think.

Gerald: Is that how you see me?

Kim: Am I wrong?

Gerald: Not if that is what you think.

Kim: Seriously though. Am I wrong?

Gerald: No. You’re not. I like that you’re not.

Kim: I like that I’m not too.

Despite them so into their conversation, they continued to follow Dennis’ instructions. Next thing you know it was 5:00pm.