Chapter Seven: Noon

One Day

 

Things were going pretty well with the shoot.  Kim was pleased with how responsive and how hard her team worked. They anticipated all problems and had a back up plan for pretty much everything, even when the shoes that were selected for a certain outfit were misplaced, her staff spoke with Dennis and they decided to shoot her barefoot. That shoot was one of the better shots of the day. They were almost ready to move to the next location. Slowly people were packing up for the next place.  She knew people were getting hungry and the food was set up at the next location.

Kim: Mel, please have the staff tell everyone else that lunch will be served at our next location and to hurry up with loading up. I’ll be waiting in the van.

Kim headed to the van.  Gerald watched her walk out. He hurried up and grabbed the bags Dennis needed help with and rushed out the arrival area of the airport where all the vans were waiting. He carefully packed Dennis’ equipment in the back of one of the vans and then went to find the van where Kim went to.  He finally found her sitting down with her eyes closed. He stood at the door of the van slowly memorizing her face.

Gerald: Tired already?

Kim: (feeling Gerald’s presence before he even spoke, she opened one eye) Just closing my eyes. No other seats available? (noticing that everyone was still inside)

Gerald: No other seat I would rather sit in.

Kim: (raising an eyebrow then chose to ignore his comment) What do you want?

Gerald: Nothing. I’m just following orders, ma’am. (climbing in and settling in the seat behind her where he sat last time)

Kim: (thought – Why do I feel disappointed that he is not sitting next to me? Oh Kim. Grow up! You threw him attitude. This is what you get.)

Gerald sat behind Kim in silence.  He got comfortable and closed his eyes.

Kim: Gerald?

Gerald: Yes ma’am?

Kim: Kim would be nice.

Gerald: Yes Kim.

Kim: I’m sorry.

Gerald opened one eye and found Kim turned around in her seat looking straight at him.

Gerald: What did you say?

Kim: Never mind. (turned back around)

Gerald: Kim. I’m sorry. I didn’t hear what you said. (placing his hand on her shoulder)

Kim: (thought-Damn! What was that?! Electricity! !) I said I was sorry. (more harshly than she intended - not turning around)

Gerald: (smiling to himself, keeping his hand on her shoulder)  Sorry for what?

Kim: Forgive me for my attitude.

Gerald: Apology accepted but it’s all good Kim.

Kim: (finally turning around)  I don’t know what it is about you but… never mind. What are you up to?

Gerald: No. No. Finish what you were about to say.

Kim: (with much confidence, she looks straight into Gerald’s eyes) I don’t know what it is about you but you throw me off. I just met you but you throw me off. I have met many men, handsome like you if not more and yet, you throw me off balance. Your smile melts. Your gaze pins me. Your attention is confusing. I know when you are looking at me. I sense you before I know you are near. What is it Gerald?

Gerald: (shocked by her straightforward admission didn’t crack a smile) I don’t know but I want to find out. I’ll be honest. I saw you and I was thrown off balance. I was waiting for an older woman and yet I find myself looking at a beautiful woman and yet I am more drawn to the intelligent eyes she looks at me with. Do you want to find out?

Kim: Not really. (honestly) I’m busy. I have a huge project right now and what lies ahead. I don’t need distractions. You would be a distraction.

Gerald: I hope a good one. Don’t you want to find out? What does this all mean? Where is this headed? Why now? Why like this?

Kim: Like I said I’m busy and too focused on my goals.

Gerald: Do you think I would stop you?

Kim: I might stop myself. (honestly)

Gerald: I don’t see that and to be honest, I wouldn’t let you. You are too talented to be stopped.

Kim: Thank you. What is it about you Gerald?

Gerald: I don’t know. What is it about you Kim?

Kim: I don’t know. You look at me as if you know my soul.

Gerald: I feel like I found the partner to mine.

Kim: Gerald, this is too deep.

The driver, Mel and a couple of other employees climbed into the van.

Mel: (sensing the serious atmosphere, looks at Kim questioningly) Kim, everyone and everything is loaded and ready to go.

Kim: Let’s go. (takes one last look at Gerald and faces forward)