Chapter Nine: Two PM

One Day

 

Gerald saw Kim looking over to where he was at. He saw her shake her head and then walk out the building through the mirror he was facing. Too bad he couldn’t follow her.  Gerald was up next for his photo shoot.

Mel: Gerald?

Gerald: Yes Mel.

Mel: I think Dennis wants you now. Are you ready?

Gerald: Alex? Am I ready?

Alex: He’s good to go. Go knock them out. Once again.

Mel: I think he’s done that to one person and she’s still getting up for the fight.

Alex: We were just talking about that. Which by the way, where did our queen bee go?

Gerald: She walked outside.

Mel: Let me go check up on her. (looking at Gerald)

Gerald: Thanks Mel.

Dennis: Are you ready?

Gerald: Coming Dennis. (looking towards the door where Mel was heading towards)

Outside, Mel found Kim leaning against the building wall.

Mel: Kim?

Kim: (standing up straight)  Hey Mel.  Do you guys need me?

Mel: No. I was wondering where you went.

Kim: I just came outside for some fresh air.

Mel: Is everything okay?

Kim: Yes. Why?

Mel: I don’t know. You seem distracted today.

Kim: Not distracted. I’m trying to stay out of the way of my staff so that they can realize that I do trust them. I am trying to control my controlling tendencies so I decided to come outside.

Mel: Are you sure it’s not because of a certain hot model who has been in your way today?

Kim: What are you talking about?

Mel: Kim. Don’t play stupid with me. Like I said, I feel like I’m intruding when he’s looking at you. And I know you are not immune to him. Gerald just made you eat. He has made you forget that other people are around. He has made you laugh and not just once. Many times.

Kim: (silent for awhile)

Mel: Kim?

Kim: Mel… I just met him. This is crazy.

Mel: Aren’t you curious where this could lead you?

Kim: That is what I am afraid of. He could be playing me. He could be a distraction. He’s definitely a distraction.

Mel: A good one and you need a distraction. There is this thing about having work-life balance. You can’t live and breathe K Chiu.

Kim: I have to. I need to make this a success. People rely on me. I need this for me.

Mel: Do you think he would stop you?

Kim: No. I don’t.

Mel: So what’s the problem?

Kim: I don’t know if I’m ready for this or if this is the right time.

Mel: So when are you going to be ready? When is it going to be the right time?

Kim: I don’t know.

Mel: The best things in life are the ones you are willing to risk everything for. Look at K Chiu. But what about your heart Kim?

Mel went back inside leaving Kim outside thinking about their conversation. As Mel was going inside, Gerald was coming outside.

Gerald: Hi Mel. Is Kim still out here? I just wanted to let you guys know that they are starting to pack for the next location.

Mel: (patting Gerald on his shoulder)  She’s right there (nodding her head towards where Kim was leaning against the building) and I’ll go inside to coordinate things.

Gerald walked slowly towards Kim. Kim looked up.

Gerald: Kim?

Kim: Yes.

Gerald: I just wanted to let you know that they are packing up right now. I think everyone is almost ready to leave for our next location.

Kim: Thank you.

Gerald: You’re welcome.

Gerald turned around and was about to walk back inside.

Kim: Gerald?

Gerald: (turned around)  Hmmm?

Kim: I’m sorry.

Gerald walked closer to her and pulled her into a big hug. Kim never felt so safe in her life and sank right into the hug.