Chapter Thirteen: Six PM

One Day

 

Once they reached K Chiu studio, Gerald helped Dennis load the rest of his equipment to his car. Kim went inside the studio to turn on the lights. Mel had left a post-it note on her computer which said ‘Carpe Diem!’ (Seize the Day!)   Kim smiled and put the post-it note in the drawer. Mel had left her bag with her clothes she had on earlier on the sofa in her office.

Gerald: (smiling) What are you smiling about?

Kim: (looking up) Nothing. A note Mel left me.

Gerald: Can I be nosy and ask what it says?

Kim: (smiling at him with a raised eyebrow) Girl to girl confidentiality. Sorry. I can’t break that.

Gerald: Aaahh… One of those kind of notes.

Kim: It’s top secret. If I share it with you then I would have to kill you.

Gerald: I’m not ready to die yet. Maybe later but not right now. I have too much to live for.

Kim: (laughing) I’m going to change back to my normal clothes. You can use any one of the other offices or the restrooms down the hallway.

Gerald: Thanks. I’ll see you in a few.

Kim and Gerald changed back to their normal clothes and washed the make up from their faces. Gerald waited for Kim at the lobby of her studio. When Kim came out, Gerald stood up and just looked at Kim and smiled. Kim just smiled back.

Gerald: You looked beautiful in your gown all made up. Just absolutely stunning. But I think I like you best the way you look right now.

Kim: Hello. I’m just in jeans, T-shirt and sweater, no make-up except for my trusty lip gloss and my hair is pulled back to get the curls out of the way. (shaking her head in disbelief, smiling)

Gerald: Like I said perfection.

Kim: Well then… I would have to agree with you. You don’t look bad yourself. I think I like you without make-up as well.

Gerald: Smart . Come on beautiful. Take me to your leader.

Kim and Gerald walked out her studio laughing. Once Kim locked up, Gerald led her to his SUV which was parked around the corner. He opened the door for her which surprised Kim and made sure she was settled before gently closing the door. He ran to the other side of car and jumped in.

Gerald: Okay… tell me where to go.

Kim gave Gerald directions as they drove not too far near the entrance to San Francisco Chinatown.  They parked near Union Square and walked hand in hand through the ornate arch that welcomed visitors to Chinatown. 

Kim: I always feel like I am walking into a different world every time I pass these arches.

Gerald: I know what you mean. It’s just unfortunate that I only come here when I am playing tour guide or tourist. (smiling sheepishly)

Kim: I love this place. It’s always bustling. It’s a mix of tourists and a Chinese lifestyle that is real.  Do you know that there is a house here where a Presbyterian minister hid Chinese women who were being sold into ion or as servants? It’s amazing. You can see the tunnels where they once hid. And the first Asian church was built here.

Gerald: Wow! I didn’t realize there was such a rich history right here. You just kind of think of it as a place to come hang out, shop a little bit and get some good Chinese food.

Kim: Well… here we are… Great Chinese food.  Let’s go in.

When they walked in, Kim was greeted by a lot of the workers. They headed straight to the kitchen where Kim knew her dad was.  Kim’s dad hired many cooks but he could not remove himself from the kitchen. He left the management of the restaurant to Kuya William.

Kim: Tay!

Mr. Chiu: Kimmy!

Gerald: (smiling) Kimmy?

Kim: (elbows him) Kimmy.  Tay! (gives her dad a huge hug and kiss)  Can’t you stay out of the kitchen for once?! You don’t need to be here.

Mr. Chiu: But this is where I want to be. You need to eat. You look too skinny.

Gerald: That’s what I told her po.

Mr. Chiu:  And who is this?

Gerald: Gerald Anderson, po.

Kim: He’s a friend of mine, tay.  He is one of the models for my new line.

Gerald: It is very nice to meet you, Mr. Chiu. (extending out his hand)

Mr. Chiu: Forgive me Gerald. My hands are quite a mess. Hold on.

Kim smiled up at Gerald as her dad went to go wash his hands.

Mr. Chiu: There.  (extending his hand to Gerald)  It is nice to meet you Gerald. Kim rarely brings any of her friends here.  I am thinking that she thinks our food is not worthy enough of her friends.

Kim: Oh Tay. You know I love the food here. Plus you don’t need me sending my friends here. It’s always crowded that they would have to wait to get service.

Mr. Chiu: You know you could be one of my wait staff. Things run smoother when you are here.

Kim: I know Tay. (to Gerald) I told you I was good. (laughing)  We were hungry after a long day so we decided to come here for dinner. Is that okay?

Mr. Chiu: When does my daughter have to ask to eat? Why don’t you guys sit down?

Gerald: Mr. Chiu. I hope you don’t mind me asking. Would it be possible to watch you? I promise to stay out of the way.

Mr. Chiu: (smiling)  You are interested?

Gerald: Definitely. I am a single man so I am always looking for ways to feed me a home cook meal. I wish I lived closer than I wouldn’t have a problem. 

Mr. Chiu: How do you know my food is good?

Gerald: Kim told me and I believe Kim.

Mr. Chiu: (tosses him an apron) Here put this on. Kim, go tell your Kuya William that you are here. I think John Paul is here too. Tell them that we will be eating dinner together.

Kim: Okay tay.  Gerald? You’ll be okay?

Gerald: I have your dad here. I’ll be fine.

Gerald squeezed Kim’s hand reassuring her, which did not go unnoticed by Mr. Chiu.

Gerald: So Mr. Chiu. What can I help you with?

Mr. Chiu: Do you know your way around the kitchen?

Gerald: Not a restaurant kitchen but my mom has taught me a few things. Thank God.

Mr. Chiu: Great! Do you have anything in mind for dinner?

Gerald: I will leave it up to you but Kim told me that you cook Filipino dishes here too if it’s requested. Sort of a well-known secret.  What do you think?

Mr. Chiu: Are you Filipino Gerald?

Gerald: Half, po.  My dad is American and my mother is Pinay. I was born in the Philippines.

Mr. Chiu: Why don’t we go simple and do a chicken and pork adobo and some pancit canton? What do you think?

Gerald: I think I am going to heaven.

Mr. Chiu: Let’s do some normal Chinese dishes such as walnut shrimp, Mongolian beef and a fish. We’ll have dim sum too.

Gerald: This is sounding like a party.

Mr. Chiu: The fact that Kimmy is here wanting to eat is considered a celebration.

Gerald: Yeah. I noticed that she doesn’t eat much.

Mr. Chiu: She has always eaten like a bird. You have to encourage her to eat. She’s healthy but that’s the way she is.

Gerald: Well then let’s celebrate.

Mr. Chiu began to give Gerald instructions as they were cooking in the kitchen. They kept away from the other cooks who were cooking for the other customers. Mr. Chiu had his own stove anyways that only he used unless there was an emergency. Gerald was his sous chef, cutting and providing Mr. Chiu the ingredients as he talked and cooked at the same time. Gerald was definitely impressed and even more so, he was absolutely drooling over the dishes Mr. Chiu was putting together.

Mr. Chiu: So Gerald… how long have you known my daughter?

Gerald: I just met her today to be honest, Mr. Chiu.  I was sent by my agency to her photo shoot for her catalogue.  I have heard of her and her designs even before today. There is quite a buzz around her for New York Fashion Week. It’s even more impressive after I met her.

Mr. Chiu: Aaaahhh….

Gerald:  What’s even more funny about our first meeting was that I thought she was a matronly woman with dark rimmed glasses wearing all black.  Call it my fashion prejudice. (laughing)  Boy was I wrong when she introduced herself to me. I think my mouth fell to the floor.

Mr. Chiu: That’s my Kimmy. A go-getter. We are so proud of her. I swear she has been a designer all her life. I can’t remember a time when she wasn’t changing her dolls clothes or putting together outfits for them.  I didn’t think she was going to make a career out of it.

Gerald: She is exceptionally talented. Have you ever tried on any of her clothes?

Mr. Chiu: She has made me things before but not from her official K Chiu line. The stuff she gave me are great pieces.

Gerald: I modeled these beautiful barong inspired dress shirts. I need to get me one of those.  You should see them. The embroidery is beautiful. (pause)  I sound like a girl don’t I?

Mr. Chiu: (laughing)  I can see that you enjoyed today.

Gerald: It was a lot of fun regardless of how tough your daughter is as a boss.

Mr. Chiu: (laughing)  My kitten with a lioness soul.  So… it really is amazing that Kim has brought you here. I don’t think she has really brought a guy here.

Gerald: (looks up)  Really?

Mr. Chiu: Really. So I’m curious. Who are you Gerald?

Gerald: Let’s see… You know that I model. I do that so I can pay for school. I go to UC Berkeley. I’m in my 4th year, graduating this coming June with a Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry. I’m currently awaiting either my rejection letters or acceptance letters to medical school. My parents are in the Philippines, separated, unfortunately. My younger brother lives with my mom in General Santos. My teenage years were spent in the Philippines. I already told you I was born there but my younger years were spent in Missouri where my dad’s side of the family lives. I’m a good person, honest and hardworking. God fearing and definitely strong in my Filipino values thanks to my mom.

Mr. Chiu: I like you Gerald. You’re not bullting me are you?

Gerald: No sir!  Mr. Chiu… do you mind if I ask you a question?

Mr. Chiu: No.

Gerald: Actually a couple questions…

Mr. Chiu: Go ahead… I’ll see if I answer them. (looking stern but then smiled)

Gerald: Well first question… would you mind if I courted/dated your daughter?

Mr. Chiu: Well… I never expected that.  I guess that is up to Kim. She is her own person but I appreciate you asking me. You get my vote. Your second question?

Gerald:  Why the restaurant business?

Mr. Chiu: (smiling) Do you really want to know?

Gerald: Well… yes. I mean. I can see being here in the kitchen that it is hard work, unconventional hours, with limited opportunity for vacation.

Mr. Chiu: Well… you are right in some things but it’s our restaurant so we have gone on vacations leaving my cooks and a friend to manage while we are gone. But it has been a long time. It is hard work and the hours are long but I enjoy what I do. There is a lot of love that goes into every dish I make. I think it makes it taste better.

Kim: (walking into the kitchen)  Are you telling Gerald your secret ingredient?

Mr. Chiu: (kissing Kim on the forehead) I am. You have been cut out of the will.

Kim: Hey!

Mr. Chiu: Gerald has been a good sous chef. You’ve never helped me in the kitchen.

Kim: Oh my goodness. I leave you with my dad for not even an hour and he’s turned against me. (hitting Gerald in the stomach)

Gerald: Ummph! Hey. Have mercy on a single man.  This has been pure selfishness. I need to learn how to feed myself.

Kim: (laughing) You’re lucky I like you.

Gerald: You do? (smiling)

 Kim: Oh I give up! Since all the dishes are done. Why don’t you two go sit down? Kuya and John Paul are sitting down already. Ate Twinkle, Ate Lakam and their boyfriends are coming to join us for dinner too. Kuya called them. I will serve dinner.

Gerald: Do you need help?

Mr. Chiu: Come on Gerald. (patting Gerald on the back) Let’s leave this to the professional. Maybe I’ll include her back into the will if she does this well.

Kim was smiling at them as they walked out.

Kim: (thought- OMG!!! Gerald is meeting my entire family! He hit it off with my dad. At least I think he did! Why is he even here? OMG! This is crazy! I feel like I am running through a relationship in just one day! This is crazy!)

Kim picked up several of the dishes and walked out with her head up high.  When she got to the table, Ate Twinkle and Ate Lakam had just arrived and were being introduced to Gerald.

Kim: Hi Ate Lakam. Hi Ate Twinkle. Hi guys!

Ate Twinkle: Hi Kimmy? (whispering)  Who’s the hottie? He looks familiar.

Kim: I thought Tay introduced you.

Ate Lakam: (whispering)  He did but where did you find him?

Kim: He was one of my models today.

Ate Twinkle: That’s who he is!!! You were in the Tommy Hilfiger ad campaign.

Kim: (hit her sister)  Ssssh!!! Geez! You are so loud!

Gerald: Kim. It’s okay.  Ate Twinkle, that was me. I was very fortunate.

Kim: You were in the Hilfiger campaign? I didn’t know that.

Gerald: You didn’t see my portfolio?

Kim: No. I told you I was trying to give up the control. I just inspected you guys this morning to make sure.

Gerald: Thank God I passed.

Kim’s family busted up laughing. Kim left them shaking her head. She went back to the kitchen to get the rest of the dishes.