Chapter Fifteen: Eight PM

One Day

 

Gerald and Kim’s family continued to eat, talk, share stories and laugh throughout their dinner. Gerald was happy that Kim actually ate dinner and was not eating like a bird. This time Kim was eating with gusto. Gerald was amazed with the difference in her appetites. He knew he liked this Kim better.

Gerald: Okay? So what gives?

Kim: Huh? (with full)

Gerald: Earlier, you barely ate. I had to pretty much force feed you. And now, I couldn’t stop you, not that I want to.

Kim: I don’t know. (mouth still full)

Gerald: You don’t know?

Kim: I don’t know. I guess I was nervous earlier.

Gerald: What were you nervous about?

Kim: The shoot. You.

Gerald: Me?! Why?

Kim: (looking him in the eye) You were so honest with me. I knew you were interested and I didn’t know what to do with it. I still don’t know what to do with it.

Gerald: Let’s just see where this leads us. All I know is that I want to be with you and get to know you better. And look at my luck. I am sitting here with your family, enjoying an amazing dinner. And I’m still with you today. (pause) I’m sorry that I was the cause of you not eating earlier. And I was forcing you to eat at that. However, I also got a sense that it happens often that you don’t eat.

Kim: I guess I get nervous or frustrated or sometimes just too focus that I forget to feed myself.

Gerald: I want you to take care of yourself. I want to take care of you.

Kim just looked at Gerald and couldn’t believe that he was real.

Kim: Something must be wrong with you…

Gerald: Stick with me baby and you will definitely find out. (smiling)

They returned to their food and the other conversations that were going on around the table.

 

Mr. Chiu: So who wants dessert? Halo-halo, leche flan or rice cakes? Or all?

Everyone, including Gerald: ALL!

Mr. Chiu: I thought so. (signals to one of the waiters)

Kim: Tay, do you want me to go get the desserts?

Mr. Chiu: No, it’s okay Kimmy. I have Derek getting us our dessert. You keep eating.

They all continued to laugh and talk while they waited for dessert.

Guy: Excuse me.

Kuya William: Enchong. What are you doing here?

Kim froze hearing Enchong’s name. She knew he was standing right behind her. Gerald sense the change of mood at the table, especially Kim’s. Gerald also noticed that Enchong placed his hands at the back of Kim’s chair and began her back with one of his fingers.

Enchong: I was in the city and wanted to stop by and say hi. What luck I have to come and find the whole family here! What’s the occasion?

Ate Lakam: (with no emotion) Just our family having dinner together.

Enchong: That’s great! (not stopping his single finger caress of Kim’s neck) How are you Kim?

Kim: (not turning around) I’m fine. (in a monotone voice)

Enchong: Kim? Do you mind if we can talk for a few minutes?

Kim: (sensing the tense atmosphere) Sure. (to her family) Excuse me. 

She placed her hand on Gerald’s hand and looked at him.

Kim: I’ll be right back okay?

Gerald: Okay.

Enchong extended his hand for Kim to take. Kim ignored it and walked ahead of him towards to the lobby of the restaurant.

Kim: What do you want Enchong?

Enchong: I just wanted to talk and see how you were doing. I always stop by but you’re never here.

Kim: I’ve been busy.

Enchong: So I heard. (with a sneer)

Kim: Why are you looking for me?

Enchong: I just want to see how you are doing. 

Kim: I’m doing good. Satisfied?

Enchong: (silent) Can’t we try all over again? Don’t all those years we’ve been together mean anything to you? I’m the best thing that happened to you and you just threw it all away.

Kim: We’ve tried many times throughout our relationship to make it work and it just doesn’t. I thought we agreed to this. It’s done Enchong. It’s been done.

Enchong: I know I screwed things up but I promise to change. I don’t mind having a sugar mommy.  Isn’t that what you want?

Kim: I am not going to be your sugar momma. I’m sorry Enchong but it’s time to let it go. I don’t love you anymore. I can’t be with you anymore. I’m not the girl you want. I tried to be the girl you wanted me to be but I’m just not. Just let it go. I’m going to go back to my family right now. Take care of yourself Enchong.

Kim walked away and returned to her family.

Gerald: You okay?

Kim just nodded her head. Enchong ended up right behind her right as she sat down.

Enchong: I wanted to come say good-bye to all of you. It was good to see you all. Kim, I don’t think we are finished talking yet but we’ll talk later.

Kim: I’m sorry Enchong. I’m sorry but my schedule is pretty hectic nowadays.

Enchong: That’s right. I hear that you are about to take New York by storm. Congratulations!  I didn’t think you would make it that far but then again you are ambitious.

Kim winced at Enchong’s words. Mr. Chiu was about to stand up but Gerald put a hand on Mr. Chiu’s hand.

Gerald: Babe? (putting his arm around on Kim’s neck purposely moving Enchong’s hands out of the way)  I’m sorry. I don’t think I’ve met this person. Is he important enough to be introduced to?

Enchong’s face became all red and looked over to who was talking, just now realizing that there was someone other than the family at the table.

Enchong: (glaring) And you are?

Gerald: (glaring right back) Gerald.

Enchong: And who are you?

Gerald: I was wondering the same thing.

Enchong: I’m a close family friend and Kim’s ex fiancé.

Gerald: Oh… so you’re the guy she dumped.

Enchong: Is that her story?

Gerald: Sounds right just looking at you. My understanding is that you couldn’t handle her success so you crumbled. Kim needs a strong man by her side. She made the right choice.

Kim: Gerald. It’s okay. (placing her hand on top of his)

Gerald: I know baby. (turning toward Enchong)  Enchong, this is the best time for you to leave. The family is in the middle of dinner and does not need distractions during their family time.

Enchong: I was part of this family.

Gerald: The key word being ‘was’.

Enchong: What are you? Her new boyfriend? Kim, you need a guy to stick up for you?

Kim: I…

Gerald: (interrupting Kim) Kim, I’m sorry for interrupting you but you don’t need to deal with this guy. (turns to Enchong)  No. Kim does not need a guy to stick up for her. But unfortunately for her, she’s going to get one.  I would really suggest that you leave now before you are escorted out.

Enchong: I was going to eat dinner here but I see that only trash eat here.

Gerald stood up,(as did the rest of the men at the table) punched Enchong in the face and floored him. At that, everyone in the restaurant looked over to where they were. Mr. Chiu signaled for the waiters to Enchong out.

Enchong: er! You broke my nose!

Gerald: (hissed at Enchong) You come near Kim or any one else in her family, I’ll make it permanent. Do you understand me? And that was just a tap.

The waiters escorted Enchong out of the restaurant. The other guests clapped for Gerald.

Gerald: (turning back to the family) I’m sorry Mr. Chiu, everyone, (turns to Kim) Kim. I’m sorry.

The family who was standing, slowly began to sit back down. Mr. Chiu patted Gerald’s hand and motioned for him to sit down.

Gerald: I’m sorry for making such a scene. He said the wrong thing.

John Paul: You kicked his …

Kim: JOHN PAUL!

John Paul: What?! He did! And he deserved that. That was a Pacquiao Punch!!

Then all of a sudden, the entire table busted up laughing and returned back to their animated conversations that layered upon each other. They could not stop laughing and some of the guys were acting out Gerald’s punch to Enchong. Gerald was quiet and so was Kim.

Gerald: Kim? I’m sorry. I…

Kim: (places her hand on his hand) Please don’t be sorry. I should be the one to apologize to you. I am so embarrassed.

Gerald: Embarrassed by what?

Kim: I’m sorry that you were involved with that.

Gerald: You failed to mention that your ex was a jerk.

Kim: I didn’t want to sound like a man hater.

Gerald: I would be a man hater if I was with that .  Sorry.

Kim: I’m sorry Gerald. I haven’t seen him in such a long time… I don’t come here often because I know he stops by often just to see if I am here. He won’t go to my office because I have security and there is always someone with me.

Gerald: He’s not over you.

Kim: He’s over me Gerald. He’s not over the fact that I dumped him. He wants to hurt me. Maybe not physically but he wants to hurt me. He does that through digs to me and my family. He does that through insults.

Gerald: He is a little boy who has been denied. Don’t let him make you feel little because you are beyond him.

Kim: I know that but I’m just sorry you saw that part of my past.

Gerald: What I see is a woman who has made the right decision for herself and for her future.

Kim: (now laughing)  I can’t believe you punched him out.

Gerald: I can sense your dad getting mad and when he talked trash about your family… and when he was insulting you… I saw red.  He pushed it too far.

Kim: Thank you. You defended me and my family.

Gerald: Like I said Kim… in the short time we’ve known each other, everything that is important to you has become important to me. Not only because you value it but because I see the value in it. Does that make sense?

Kim: I think so…

Gerald grabbed Kim’s hand and linked his hand with hers. He kissed her hand. Kim just looked at him and smiled. She looked at their hands intertwined and sighed.

Ate Twinkle: Hey you two lovebirds. You two are going to make us gag.

John Paul: Yeah! It’s gross. Ate Kim, you never sigh because of a boy.

Kim: Oh shut up all of you! I love you all but I think I’ve given Gerald a lifetime of too much excitement in the span of 2 hours. We’ve had a long day so it’s time to part. See you guys soon. And don’t forget to start packing for New York. It’s going to be coming soon.

Ate Twinkle: It’s a month away.

Kim: I’m just reminding you guys to be prepared.

Kuya William: Oh brother.