Chapter Twenty-Four: Five AM

One Day

 

Kim: Right now, I’ll focus on breakfast.

 

Kim walked back to the dining room with the serving bowl filled with rice. She sat down across from Gerald.  Gerald looked at Kim and smiled. Kim just smiled back and offered him the bowl of rice.

Gerald: Let’s pray first. Give me your hands.

Kim obliged and bowed her head as Gerald said a prayer blessing their food.

Kim: (thinking to herself -  I love the fact that he does this.) So talk to me about your faith.

Gerald: What do you mean?

Kim: You pray before you eat. Not many guys I know do that.

Gerald: Don’t you think you should thank God for the food you eat?

Kim: Of course but like I said not many guys do that.

Gerald: I don’t know. I was taught to always do that.

Kim: Mom?

Gerald: Yes. Being raised in a Catholic practicing family, it’s what you do.

Kim: Do you do it just because?

Gerald: No. I do it because I believe nothing is possible without God and that includes the food we have on the table, the roof over our heads and the clothes on our back.

Kim: Amazing.

Gerald: What is amazing?

Kim: You. How did this happen for you?

Gerald: What do you mean?

Kim: Your faith. Your practice. Your relationship with God.

Gerald: Our Filipino values plays a strong role in that. Come on. When I lived in the PI, fiestas based on the patron saint, Easter, Christmas. No one can celebrate like the Filipinos. I loved waking up early in the morning and walking to church with my mom and our other neighbors. It’s one of my favorite memories. I attended a Catholic school.

Kim: Most people protest after going through that.

Gerald: I don’t know. I loved it. I loved Catholic school.

Kim: The thought of becoming a priest never crossed your mind?

Gerald: And be denied a beautiful woman such as yourself?

Kim: Just wondering. (smiling)

Gerald: My relationship with God was strengthened after a reconciliation I did with the priest.  It felt so real and so cleansing.  And of course, when I attended our youth group retreat, I realized that my faith was pretty strong and that I had a beautiful relationship with God. Faith was fun.

Kim: I went on one of those. It was a defining moment. Do you go to church every Sunday?

Gerald: Yes. I have missed some Sundays but for the most part it is part of my Sunday routine. It just feels good to pray with others who believe and feel that community connection.

Kim: Amazing. Where do you go to church?

Gerald: I go to St. Augustine’s or St. Patrick’s in Oakland. There is St. John the Baptist in El Cerrito but to be honest, I sometimes just come here to the city and go to one of the many catholic churches. I feel like I am all over the place but I guess I haven’t found my home. It’s hard because in the PI, the church was central. Here… well it’s hard going to Berkeley and all.

Kim: Why don’t you join me and my family for Sunday mass?

Gerald: (smiling) So… we are going to see each other more often?

Kim:  Is this a one night thing for you?

Gerald: I am scared that it will be for you.

Kim: I’m fighting a battle I can’t win.

Gerald: I don’t want it to be a struggle for you.

Kim: It is.

Gerald: I don’t want it to be. What can I do to help?

Kim: I don’t know. I’ve never felt like this before.

Gerald: Me neither. (putting his hand over Kim’s hand)

Kim: By the way, the omelet is simply delicious. It is so good. My compliments to the chef.

Gerald: Thank you. I promise you many more meals in our future together.

Kim: I will hold you to that.

Gerald: (smiling)  Want to hold it against my body?

Kim: You are so corny.

Gerald: Can’t help it. Filipino romance movies.

Kim: (laughing) Are you serious?

Gerald: Serious. Hey! My mom always watched those.

Kim: (smiling)  Uh huh…

Gerald: Seriously. What type of movies do you watch?

Kim: I’m not picky. I like action, yes… romance comedies and anything that looks good.

Gerald: Action?

Kim: Yes. Bourne series. Transformers. Bond. Taken.

Gerald: I loved that movie. If we ever have kids, we’ll never let them travel without one of us.

Kim: (smiling) Kids?

Gerald: (smiling) Do you like kids?

Kim: Yes. Do you?

Gerald: Yes. I want half a dozen.

Kim: HALF A DOZEN?!!! AS IN SIX?!!

Gerald: Yeah. Why not?

Kim: If you are having them…

Gerald: So you are thinking of having children with me.

Kim: You are such a punk.

Gerald: (chuckling to himself)  I want a lot of kids. There was only me and my brother but I loved it when all my cousins were together.  I always wanted lots of brothers and sisters.

Kim: Are you serious?

Gerald: (laughing) I’ll compromise… 4?

Kim: (laughing) We’ll see.

Gerald: I’m glad you are thinking about it.

Kim: Sira!

Gerald: Do you want me to cook you another omelet?

Kim: I am so full. Thank you Chef Gerald but I am good right now.  I could go to sleep right now.

Gerald: Are you tired?

Kim: Let’s move to the couch.

Gerald: Let me clean up our plates first.

Kim: Don’t worry about it. I will do it later.

Gerald: No… I wouldn’t be a true chef otherwise.

Kim: You already washed the pan.

Gerald: How about a quick rinse and placing them in the dishwasher?

Kim: Sounds good.

Kim and Gerald cleaned up the table and placed the dirty dishes in the dishwasher. Gerald then led Kim back to the couch.  He sat down first and pulled Kim to sit next to him. Gerald began to fidget.

Kim: Are you okay?

Gerald: Ummmm…. Wait a minute.

Gerald stood up and pulled Kim to stand. He then sat back down on the couch with his back against the armrest. He fluffed the pillows behind him. He then grabbed Kim’s hand and tugged at her hand to have her sit next him lengthwise on the couch. She sat at the edge but Gerald pulled her close, spooning her from behind.

Gerald: Now that is more like it.

Kim: This is comfortable.

Gerald: You fit me perfectly.

Kim: hmmmm…. (closing her eyes)

Gerald: So you are okay with 4 children?

Kim: You know that we just met today?

Gerald: (chuckling softly right next to her ear) I know but 4 children.

Kim: (laughing)  You are a nut. But since you are asking about children, can I ask you something?

Gerald: I am your open book. Shoot.

Kim: Are you a ?

Gerald was so surprised by Kim’s question that he almost pushed Kim off the couch but pulled her back in time.

Kim: Gerald! Hey! Are you okay? 

Gerald: I can’t believe you are asking me that question.

Kim: What?! I told you about me earlier. Your turn.

Gerald: No. I am not a .

Kim: I figured.

Gerald: How do you figure?

Kim: Well… you’re a guy. A cute one at that. So…

Gerald: So cute guys are not s?

Kim: Well…cute guys attract lots of girls. Some girls are…let’s say… welcoming.

Gerald: And you think I’ve met welcoming girls.

Kim: Am I right?

Gerald: Maybe.

Kim busted up laughing.

Kim: See.  So, how old were you?

Gerald: Are you serious?

Kim: I want to know

Gerald:  16

Kim: hmmmm….

Gerald busted up laughing.

Gerald:  Why ‘hmmmmmm’?

Kim: Young, don’t you think?

Gerald: Yes.  This was the ‘I love you’ lie.

Kim:  Aaah…

Gerald: Are you judging me?

Kim: No…but I don’t know. Call me naïve, but when you are young, don’t you want to be or feel like you are in love with the person before you do ‘THE DEED”?

Gerald: Remember what I told you about very forthcoming girls. And you forget the factor of the raging hormones of a 16 year old boy.

Kim: (laughing) I did forget that factor.  That’s why it is so hard to trust guys.

Gerald: (laughing) You are so jaded.

Kim: Hey! It’s just my experience that a guy will die if they don’t get some.

Gerald: You’ll understand one of these days.

Kim: What do you mean?

Gerald: It does feel good, you know.

Kim: I’m sure but I still believe that it’s sacred between a married couple.

Gerald: I agree with you. I’m sure that it probably feels different.

Kim: What do you mean?

Gerald: Love is part of the equation. Isn’t everything better when love is part of the equation?

Kim: You are a romantic.

Gerald: At your service. Now let’s change the subject.

Kim: Why?

Gerald: Let’s just say should not be a topic especially when your bottom is pressed up against me.

Kim: oh. (blushing)

Kim was so grateful that Gerald could not see her face turn red since her back was to him.  Gerald was chuckling to himself regardless.

Kim: So…do you want me to make coffee or something?

Gerald: No, thank you. I’m good. Kim…

Kim kept silent.

Gerald:  Kim.  Turn around and look at me.

Kim bit her lip and slowly twisted her body so that she could face him while still lying so close to him.

Kim: Look. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to get so personal. Just curious.

Gerald: Don’t apologize. What I love about you is how outspoken you are? You speak what you are thinking and what you are wanting to know. (teasingly)  So what are you curious about? My life? in general? Or…

Kim: Or what?!

Gerald: Or with me? (wiggling his eyebrows)

Kim: (laughing) Don’t flatter yourself.  Just curious. I want to find out what type of guy you are.

Gerald: And what type of guy am I.

Kim: To be honest. I don’t know yet. I don’t know. I guess I still look at you and I’m confused. You look like a player and yet from what you have told me, you don’t seem to be. You seem to be traditional, romantic and yet, my mind cannot merge your looks with who you are. It seems unreal.

Gerald: What do you mean – unreal?

Kim: Unreal. Too good to be true.

Gerald: (smiling) Too good to be true?

Kim: Yes and don’t get big headed.

Gerald: I’m not perfect Kim.

Kim: You can’t be and yet you’re the type of guy most girls are looking for.

Gerald: What are you looking for?

Kim: (thinking to herself- You!)  I don’t know

Gerald: You don’t know? A woman who stands with confidence and pursues her dreams with precision does not know what she wants in a man, a partner for life?

Kim: Well… I do yet I don’t. I kind of am leaving my heart in charge of that department.

Gerald: So you are a closet romantic? I told you that you were a match for me.

Kim: Really?

Gerald: Really. My wonderful, gorgeous find today… really.

Gerald then lowered his lips to gently capture Kim’s lips. Kim’s hands were pressed up against Gerald’s chest but soon enough as Gerald deepened the kiss, Kim had to grab on to Gerald’s shirt as she was drowning in all the feelings that continued to overwhelm her. All she knew to do was to hold on…