Chapter Twenty: One AM

One Day

 

Gerald: I don’t know if I could just take you home and drop you off.

Kim: Then why are we talking about it. I’m not ready to go home either.

They smiled at each other…

All of a sudden, the sound of a typical cell phone ring pierced the silence.

Gerald: I’m sorry.  Do you mind if I answer this?

Kim: No…please go ahead.

Gerald: Excuse me.(answers his phone) Hello?

Matt: Hey bro! I knew you would still be up.

Gerald: What’s up bro?

Matt: What are you up to?  I think you should come meet me.

Gerald: Why? Where are you?

Matt: I’m at this new club and they have this great band playing. Come meet me.  Plus I want you to meet my girl.

Gerald: I’m kind of busy right now but I do want you to meet my girl.

Matt: You’re not studying, are you?

Gerald: (looking at Kim) I’m sort of a studying.  I think I found my favorite subject of all times.

Kim shook her head and rolled her eyes at Gerald and smiled.

Matt: Uh… huh… And does this favorite subject talk back. Please don’t tell me you are in a comprising position.

Gerald: (laughing) I wouldn’t have answered otherwise. Let me ask her and then I’ll call you back.

Matt: Alright.

Gerald hung up his cell phone and smiled at Kim.

Kim: A friend?

Gerald: My best friend, Matt. I want you to meet him. And he wants to introduce his girlfriend to me. Do you mind going to this new club where he is at right now?

Kim: Sure. But what about our clothes? Are we dressed right?

Gerald: We are good. He said that it was pretty casual place. Are you okay if we go? You are not tired are you? We’ve had a long day.

Kim: I would love to meet your friends. Unless you are tired and don’t want to go.

Gerald: To be honest, I’ve never been more awake in my life and I don’t think I want to take you home yet… unless you want to.

Kim: I don’t want to… go home yet… I mean.

Gerald: (smiling at her) Thanks Kim. Let me call him and give him a heads up.

Kim: I’ll gather our stuff.

Gerald: Wait for me. I’ll take care of cleaning up.

Kim: No… let’s work as a team. Okay?

Gerald smiled and nodded his head. He then dialed his cell phone to let Matt know that they were headed their way. Kim blew out the candles that Gerald lit, folded the blankets and packed up their snacks and drinks. By the time, Gerald hung up with Matt, everything was all packed up.

Gerald: Wow! You are fast! You didn’t even give me a chance to help you.

Kim: There wasn’t that much stuff. (smiling at Gerald) Come on.  Let’s go.

Gerald scooted out of the back of the SUV and put his hands out to lower Kim to the ground. Kim went willingly into his arms. Gerald, instead of letting go, decided to hold her close.

Gerald: (whispering)  Do you know that you smell good?

Kim: I do? Didn’t you tell me that earlier?

Gerald: I think I did but I can’t seem to get enough of it. (smiling into her hair)

Kim: I can lend you my shampoo.

Gerald: (laughing) I think I’d rather smell it on you. (finally looking down at her)

Kim: (looking up at Gerald) Well then I guess I better buy some more of this shampoo.

Gerald: Are you planning on keeping me around?

Kim: Maybe…

Gerald: Only maybe?

Kim: Well…I’m still trying to figure that out.

Gerald: (smiling) Can I make a pleading case?

Kim: And how would you do that?

Gerald leaned in and gently kissed Kim. Kim closed her eyes and melted into Gerald. Gerald let go of Kim’s lips and continued to look down at her angelic face and smiled. Kim’s eyes were still closed as she sighed a deep sigh.

Gerald: (chuckling) So Judge? The verdict.

Kim:  (finally opening her eyes) You make a good case.

They smiled at each other.  Gerald finally let Kim go out of his embrace but kept his hand on her waist. He led her to her side of the car and let her in the SUV. Gerald went to his side of the car and they headed to the club where Matt was waiting for them.

As they drove…

Kim: So tell me. How do you like UC Berkeley?

Gerald: I like it. I’ll be honest. I had a little bit of a hard time adjusting initially. Not only with the time change, but with culture. People sometimes can’t figure out what nationality I am but it is so clear to me that my heart really is a Pinoy heart. Girls are a little bit forthcoming. I wasn’t use to that. I was use to courting the girl. Pursing them. Not the other way around.

Kim: That is interesting about you. So are you courting me? That was a little bit forthcoming wasn’t that?

Gerald: If I have your permission, I would love to court you unless you are ready to accept me as your boyfriend. And there are some cases where the directness is a plus. (smiling at Kim)

Kim: Yes, you may court me… considering you’ve been kissing me all day. And let me think about allowing you to be my boyfriend.

Gerald:  How long should I give you to think about it?

Kim: As long as I want. I need to make sure that you are boyfriend material.

Gerald: (laughing)  Are we still back at that boyfriend material topic?

Kim: We never left it. You are just ignoring it.

Gerald: I am not ignoring it. I thought we were finished.

Kim: We’re not finished until I say we are finished.

Gerald: Like that? (smiling at Kim)

Kim: Like that. (smiling back at him) Okay. So my next question is… what is the most romantic thing you’ve ever done with a girl/girlfriend?

Gerald: I think what we did tops most. You know… people always do that romantic dinner deal which I promise you in the near future but I kind of like the spontaneity of tonight. The city was at our feet… literally.

Kim: (smiling) Hmmm…

Gerald: What about you? What is the most romantic experience you’ve ever had?

Kim: I think this tops it too. I agree with you with the spontaneity piece. Major brownie points.

Gerald: Told you I was boyfriend material. (chuckling to himself)

Kim: Uh-uh-uh… (shaking her finger at him) I’m not done yet with my interrogation.

Gerald: It does feel like that.

Kim: (raising an eyebrow)  Got a problem?

Gerald: (smiling back at Kim) No problem. I’m actually enjoying this. I’m awaiting your verdict.

Kim: You could be bullting me.

Gerald: I would never. Remember honesty is a value I require…especially of myself.

Kim: Commendable. Okay. Have you ever lied to a girlfriend/girl?

Gerald didn’t answer right away.

Kim: I guess that means yes. Okay… fess up. What did you lie about?

Gerald: (hesitantly)  I told a girl that I loved her. But it is only because she said I love you first. And then there is that awkward moment right after when you don’t respond right away. And then you feel obligated. I felt obligated.

Kim: That’s wrong!

Gerald: I’m being honest.

Kim: You weren’t with her.

Gerald: You’re right I wasn’t but… at that time, I was an immature, young man not confident in who I was or what I believed in. Things have changed. I somewhat grew up a little bit.

Kim: Now that’s honesty. Admitting that you were immature.

Gerald: Remember… that was long time ago.  I think I’ve grown up a little bit.

Kim: Uh huh. (teasing Gerald)

Gerald: Watch it young lady.

Kim: Okay. Okay. Next question.

Gerald: Go ahead. Hit me with your best.

Kim: What is your biggest fear?

Gerald: My biggest fear… hmmm… to be honest. I have a lot. I have a phobia for snakes. I don’t know what it is about them but they scare the out of me. But seriously, I have a fear of not making it in school. I have a fear of relationships to a certain extent because my parents divorced. I’m scared I will be bad at it.

Kim: You did have 3 girls dump you.

Gerald: Hey! Be nice.  Like I said I was young then.

Kim: Wait a minute! So are you telling me that you have not had a girlfriend since you left the Philippines to come here for college?

Gerald: I’ve been on dates but I didn’t have an official girlfriend.

Kim: Go away! I don’t believe you!

Gerald: Believe. Like I said… many dates. A couple I’ve dated regularly but I never made it official or even courted them. Until now, I date. I’ve switched to the American way of doing things.

Kim: But no official girlfriend?

Gerald: Not since my 4th year in high school.

Kim: I am still amazed. You’re lying.

Gerald looked at her.

Kim: Okay. Okay. You are not lying. Give me some time. I’m learning.

Gerald smiled.

Kim: So…you have not had a girlfriend since high school? (nodding her head)

Gerald: Nope. Dates. Nothing more.  Sorry to take a break from your interrogation Judge but we are here.

Kim: Lucky you. (smiling)

Gerald: (opening her side of the car)  Judge Kim, I promise that we will return to your interrogation later. 

Kim: (smiling)  Thank you. 

Gerald: So do you like to dance?

Kim: You know…it’s been quite awhile since I’ve gone out dancing. Be gentle with me.

Gerald: Always. Come on gorgeous. (grabbing her hand)

Gerald led them towards VIP where they just entered without waiting in line. They were led upstairs to the VIP lounge where Gerald immediately spotted Matt sitting with a girl on his lap.

Gerald: Bro!

Matt: You made it! (gives him their special handshake keeping his girl on his lap) Bro, let me introduce you to

Gerald & Kim: MEL!

Mel jumped up and hugged Kim right away. Matt looked so surprised. Gerald was grinning from ear to ear.

Mel & Kim: How? When?! Who?!

Gerald: This is a small world! Bro… meet Kimberly Chiu of K Chiu designs. She happens to be the best friend of your girlfriend, Mel, whom I just met today at a photo shoot.

Matt: Man! Talk about coincidence.

Kim: So… (giving Matt a hug) this is the guy you’ve been raving about?

Mel: (elbows her, blushing)  Don’t tell him our secrets.

Matt: (smiling at Mel) So you’ve been talking about me?

Gerald: Probably just as much as you’ve been talking about her.

Matt: (elbows Gerald) Bro! Don’t sell me out like that. I have to be cool.

They all busted up laughing.

Mel: (whispering to Kim) So still with Gerald, are you? (looking down at her) You are in the same clothes since this morning. Can’t resist him, can you?

Gerald: (wrapping his arm around Kim’s waist from behind) No, she can’t. And I won’t give her the opportunity to try.

Kim: (swatting at his arm)  I have been trying to resist you.

Gerald: Doesn’t work, does it?

Kim sighed.

Kim: No. (admitting honestly)

Gerald: Don’t look so sad about it. Come here.

Gerald took a seat and pulled Kim on his lap. Matt pulled Mel back on his lap. Kim and Mel looked at each other and busted up laughing even more.

Gerald: If this was a different situation, I don’t think I would be laughing.

Matt smirked.

Matt: So… you just met Kim today? (raising an eyebrow at his best friend)

Gerald: Yeah. My agent sent me to the KChiu photo shoot where I was fortunately chosen to be a part of. Kim is the talk of the fashion world. The new up and comer. And they are right. She’s going to blow them away at Fashion Week.

Kim: Thanks Gerald.

Mel: It’s so true.

Matt: That’s what Mel tells me too.  Congratulations Kim!

Kim: It hasn’t happened yet so… I don’t know about blowing them away during Fashion Week.

Gerald: You have no worries Kim… I need to comment on the small worldness of our situation. Mel, you happen to be with my best friend. And Mel, you happen to be the best friend of this wonderful woman I met today.  Thank you.

Mel: I aim to please.

Matt:  Yes, she does.

Mel: Shut up. (blushing)

Matt: Well… you please me. So there.

Kim: I’m so glad to finally meet you Matt considering that my girl’s feet has not touched ground since she’s met you and that was awhile ago.

Matt smiled at Mel who turned away from him, glaring at Kim. Kim just laughed.

Gerald: If it’s any consolation, Mel, Matt has been really sappy since he’s met you.

Matt glared at Gerald. Kim and Gerald could not help but laugh.

Mel: What are you two laughing about?! The chemistry between you two today during the photo shoot was so hot, many of us had to look away. 

Matt: Wait. It was this Gerald and Kim that were making googly eyes at each other? (laughing) Mel could not stop talking about this one model who had the hots for her boss and how Kim was trying so hard to play it cool but could not resist his charms.  Even the photographer could not resist taking pics of the two of them.

Mel: They are the ones.

Matt: Wow! And you two are laughing at us.  You guys have been at it all day.

Kim and Gerald looked at each other and just smiled. Gerald was about to sneak a kiss from Kim when Mel asked…

Mel: So what did you guys do after you left us?

Gerald cursed the interruption under his breath.

Kim: Dennis took us to Baker’s Beach and took more pics of us. It was perfect.  I do have the pics from today on a thumb drive but we haven’t had a chance to look at them.  After we returned to the studio, we changed back to our normal clothes and went out to eat.

Mel: Where did you guys go eat?

Gerald: Kim took me to their family’s restaurant in Chinatown. We had dinner with the entire family.

Mel’s eyes got big as she stared at Kim. Kim looked at her with a ‘What?’ look. Mel mouthed ‘Wow’.

Gerald: Then we were just hanging out talking when you called bro.

Matt: I was hoping you were still up. I’m glad you came and met us though it’s late.

Mel: Or really early in the morning. 

Matt: So what do you think of the club?

Kim: This place is cool. It doesn’t feel like a meat market. People are here to dance and mingle. The band is pretty good and so is the DJ.

Gerald: So… do you feel like dancing?

Kim: Why not? I don’t know if my body still knows how to move but it’s worth a shot. Be gentle.

Gerald: Hey, I’m in the same boat too.  What about you guys?

Mel: Come on Matt… let’s go show them how it is done.

Matt laughed but got up off his seat and led the group downstairs to the dance floor. They all danced and had a good time. Kim and Gerald enjoyed themselves dancing.  Kim was pleasantly surprised that Gerald could actually dance. Her attraction for him deepened even more.

Kim: (thinking to herself – Is there anything this guy is not good at? Damn! He looks hot just moving his body… I wonder how his body moves when he’s… Kim! Get your mind out of the gutter. Shame on you! )

Gerald: (dancing closer to her) What are you thinking? I can see you are thinking.

Kim: I can see that you are a pretty good dancer.

Gerald: So are you. (watching her gyrate to the beat)

Kim: Thanks. I love to dance but I haven’t gone out in such a long time.

Kim and Gerald continued to dance. What they didn’t know was that several girls were watching Gerald dance. One of them happened to be this girl he knew from school.

Pauleen: (tapping Gerald on the shoulder)  Hi Gerald!

Gerald turned around.

Gerald: Hi. Pauleen, right?

Pauleen: I thought it was you. I wanted to come and say hi. So hi.

Gerald: Hi. Pauleen, this is Kim. Kim, Pauleen goes to school at UC Berkeley.  We were in a couple classes together.

Kim and Pauleen shake hands, though Pauleen’s eyes never left Gerald. Kim noticed and raised her eyebrows.

Pauleen: Gerald and I are sort of study partners. Gerald, do you want to dance?

Gerald: Thank you but I’m here with Kim.

Pauleen: Maybe next time. Do you want to join us at our table?

Gerald: Thank you but we’re here with my best friend and his girlfriend.

Pauleen: Oh. Where are you guys seated? Maybe we can join you.

Gerald: Ummm (looking uncomfortable) Sorry Pauleen but we are at VIP and it’s limited to those on the invite list.

Pauleen: Wow! How did you end up there?

Gerald: My best friend.

Pauleen: You need to hook me up.

Gerald: I’ll see how they do it. I’ll let you know. I’ll see you around in school. Kim, let’s go.  I’m sure you’re thirsty.

Pauleen: I would love a drink too Gerald.

Gerald: Ummm… sorry Pauleen but I hope this is not rude. I’m here with Kim and I’d like to just be with her and since we are headed back upstairs to VIP, I can’t bring you with us. See around at school. Bye.

Gerald led Kim away from Pauleen, who just stood there watching Gerald walk away.

Kim: Admirer?

Gerald:  I don’t know. That was weird. By the way, never studied with her before. She borrowed some notes for an OChem class and that was it.

Kim: Stalker? (trying hard not to laugh)

Gerald: I don’t know. Like I said that was weird. I felt so awkward. I was trying hard to be nice.

Kim: You did good but that girl seems to like you a lot and wish there was more.

Gerald: Ain’t going to happen.

Kim: You never know…

Gerald: No…  I definitely know even more so now that I’ve met you.

Kim: Is it always like this? Will I be thrown off the bridge by your flock of admirers?

Gerald: Why? Do you feel threatened?

Kim: Not at all.

Gerald: Are you up for the challenge? And what are you talking about…I just punched out an ex of yours.

Kim: You did do that, didn’t you? (smiling at him)

Gerald: I should get a reward for that.

Kim: And what kind of award do you think you should get?

Gerald: Well I could think of many things but a simple kiss on the lips will do.

Kim: Simple huh?

Gerald: Simple.

Kim: Come claim your prize…

Gerald wrapped his arms around Kim and pulled her against his body. Kim looked up at Gerald with much anticipation. Gerald slowly lowered his head and gently kissed Kim’s lips, taking her breath away…he gently pushed his tongue against her lips which she willingly accepted, deepening the kiss. And it was there in the corner of the VIP lounge that Kim knew she was in deeper than she thought.