Chapter One: Six AM

One Day

 

It was 6 o’clock in the morning and the alarm just went off, blasting an annoying horn to wake its master. The alarm hoped that his master would not throw him across the room once again. The alarm clock was lucky today.

 

Kim: I can’t believe it’s 6AM.  Damn! Why do I have to wake up so early today? (Talking to no one in particular)  Why do I have to head to the studio early today? Why didn’t I assign one of my assistants to take care of the details? (sighs) Kim, it’s because you don’t trust anyone but yourself. No one could get it right. Boy do you lack trust.  You’ve got issues girlfriend.

 

Kim got out of bed and looked at herself in the mirror. She wasn’t half bad. She had a model thin body. Some would question whether she was anorexic but she has always looked like this. She was healthy. She ate healthy and was even now under the care of a personal trainer and nutritionist to help build some muscle mass to her frame.   She had long thick black hair; hair that many shampoo commercials would die for. Her Chinese Filipino roots gave her flawless porcelain skin that glowed. Make-up artists would love to use her face as their canvas. Many have asked. She always declined.  Her long legs were admired.  She had great posture natural to her but taught to many. Kim had a classic beauty that could be manipulated to look like the girl next door, the exotic Asian, the school girl or the vamp. She always chose to look like a regular girl in jeans and a T-shirt with her hair in a ponytail. She wore glasses which unfortunately didn’t complement her face. Regardless, it still didn’t hide her simple beauty. She was so unaware.

 

Kim went downstairs in her one bedroom condo to start the coffee maker.  She reviewed her schedule for the day and planned accordingly.  She had an 8AM meeting with her team before they began a long day of shooting with several models in different locations.  She wanted everything to be perfect.  This was the first year her designs were going to be highlighted during New York’s Fashion Week.  There was a buzz around her designs but the runway show was going to be either her downfall or her rise in the fashion world. Today was preparing for the catalogue that was going to be given on that day.  She wanted to show how her designs represented the elegance and beauty of the Philippines. Her crew was going to shoot her designs all around San Francisco.  It was going to be a long day.  Suddenly her phone rang… pulling her away from her deep thoughts.

 

Kim: Hello?

 

Mel: Hello! Good morning beautiful.  Are you ready for today?

 

Kim: Don’t remind me! I was getting myself all worried right before you called.

 

Mel: What are you worried about? Things are going great! You have some great models lined up.  The locations are perfect. You have one of the best photographers in the business working with you today. And more importantly, your designs are off the hook girlfriend. I’m coming to pick you up in about 15 minutes. I’m leaving right now.

 

Kim: Okay… but still… I wish I was part of the model selection.

 

Mel: You can’t be there for everything plus don’t you trust the people that work for you?

 

Kim: I do. But all of you guys know that I am a control freak so I’m going a little bit crazy not knowing what that looks like.

 

Mel: Don’t worry.  Today is going to be a good day.  Hey… you never know. Today might be full of wonderful surprises.

 

Kim: I don’t want any surprises today.

 

Mel: Oh! I give up.  I’m on way.  Love you. See you soon.

 

Kim hung up the phone and sighed.  She was a control freak but she just needed perfection especially today.  Shoot. She needed perfection everyday.  Mel was one of her closest friends and part of her staff. She was her right hand, left hand, and sometimes her brain when things got too chaotic.  They have known each other since elementary school and were never far from the hip. They bought town homes close to each other.  They would have bought it in the same area but where Kim lived suited her and where Mel lived suited her. Mel was currently seeing a guy that she was madly in love with. The guy was a pretty good guy with a promising engineering career as well. Matt was crazy about Mel and had Kim’s stamp of approval.  Matt even sat Kim down and told her of his intentions with Mel, something a guy would do with a girl’s parents, which Matt already did but he knew how important Kim was to Mel and vice versa.  He respected their friendship which won Kim over all over again. Kim was impressed though that took awhile before Matt passed the test.  The three of them were often together but Kim was always excusing herself so that the lovebirds could have more time together.  They always included her which was sweet but Kim knew that their time together was precious so she made sure that she gave them that time. 

 

The doorbell rang bringing her out of her reverie…

 

Kim: Coming!

 

Kim opens the door.

 

Mel: Good morning sunshine! (handing her a cup of Starbucks venti non fat chai tea latte and a multigrain roll)

 

Kim: Thank you! I had my coffee but this is absolute perfection.

 

Mel: Have to start the day right.  Do you have everything you need? 

 

Kim: I should. I packed what I needed last night but I was also delirious because it was late at night.  Let’s go. I want to be at the studio before everyone arrives so I can review everything needed for today. I also want a chance to meet all the models.

 

Mel: There you go again… let it go and enjoy today.  Everything will work out fine. Don’t worry. Everyone is working hard for you.  They want this as bad as you do.

 

Kim: I know but it’s me that’s exposed. These are my designs… from me.  If people reject it, they reject me. 

 

Mel: Not everyone is going to like what you do.

 

Kim: No but I want everyone to appreciate and respect what I do.  That’s the difference.

 

Mel:  Aaayy, Kim.  We’re almost there.  Remember, go with the flow and see the possibilities.  Trust the people that are working for you.  They want this as much as you do. Remember that they understand that you want perfection.  They will work hard today to give you that.

 

Kim: I will try.  But first things first.  Let’s meet the models.

 

Mel just rolled her eyes, smiling.

 

Kim and Mel arrived at Kim’s studio where she was first meeting with staff to review the schedule for the day and discuss any anticipated problems.

 

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

In another part of San Francisco, Gerald Anderson, one of the rising stars in the modeling world just returned to his loft after running 5 miles around the neighborhood.  He went straight to his mini gym and began lifting some free weights to add definition to his physique. He was excited about today to be working with Kimberly Chiu.  He was a fan of her clothing line for men and for women and was looking forward to the photo shoot.  This photo shoot was also going to help his career especially knowing the buzz around Mrs. Chiu’s fashion line.  It was the most awaited fashion line for the annual New York Fashion Week.

 

Gerald: (thoughts) I wonder what she looks like.  Most of the best designers here are either gay or elderly.  She is probably older, glasses and married.  Please let me do a good job for her.  The money is going to help with school. 

 

Gerald gave himself at least ½ hour to get to her studio, where the first part of the photo shoot was going to begin so he hurried up and finished his breakfast, jumped in the shower and threw some extra clothes in a duffel bag.  With his hat on his head, he drove to South of Market, looking forward to a fun day around San Francisco.  He knew it was going to be hard work but he was excited about today.  Today was going to be one exciting day.