Ch. 4

When I Met You
Chapter 4
 
 
After my first encounter with Youngjae, I began busy again with my work. I left in the morning with Youngjae after having breakfast with his mother. He headed to the university while I took my left to the apartment, not before we exchanged number.
 
Sometimes I would call Youngjae or just sent him a message. But, sure I had my best to keep contact with Youngjae. I messaged him a while ago asking where he was and he told me that he was walking to the university. I stared at my phone, smiling.
 
“What is so funny that had you smiley like that?” –a woman’s voice rang around my office room. I looked at the door. Yoona. I felt my day suddenly cloudy.
 
“Hey, are you not happy to see me?” –she asked, walking towards me, “Just now you had all smiley face, but when you saw me, you got sullen. Uh, we are supposed to be happy, Jaebum-ah. You are my fiancée.” –she said, leaning to my desk. I ignored her.
 
“Oh, come on, Jaebum. We will be engaged in two days. Are you not happy?”
 
“I never agree with this engagement.” –I shortly replied, before taking my key and phone, then headed to the door.
“Make sure you don’t touch anything.” –I said, turned to face her then left her alone.
 

 

In the car, I dialed Youngjae’s number. I had to distract my mind from the bad thing.
“Hello?” –I heard Youngjae answering my phone, whispering, before continue, “Hyung, I’m sorry. I am in the class. I’ll call you again later.” –he hung up. I sighed. Got nothing to distract me, I drove to Mark’s office, knowing him so much that he was the only one who didn’t get busy.
 
“Mark, I am heading to your place now.” –I hung up, not waiting for his answer.
 
I arrived at Mark’s office. I plopped my body on the couch.
 
“What’s wrong?” –Mark shot me. I forgot how straightforward he could be.
 
“Yoona.” –I simply answered him. He nodded, not really need my further explanation. He knew that I forcefully have to engage with a woman who was older than me and I didn’t love or even like. Just because my father’s greed. This engagement was about business and I hated it. Jackson and Jinyoung knew about this also. I have told them.
 
“Jaebum-ah, I heard from Jinyoung that you are close with someone right now? Are you meeting with someone?” –Mark asked, curious. I remembered a sudden event when I was talking with Jinyoung in the coffee shop and I saw Youngjae passed by my window. I ran out of the shop immediately towards Youngjae. And it ended up with me leaving Jinyoung alone as I took Youngjae back home.
 
“Yes. His name is Youngjae, Choi Youngjae. I first met him in the bus when I took an escape from meeting with Mr. Yoon and Yoona. Since then, I kept thinking about him and my heart would go crazy. Then one day, I met him again and shortly, I ended up staying a night in his home. I didn’t exactly know what I feel, but sure I have this feeling like I feel butterflies in my stomach and my heartbeat increased rapidly whenever he was around. And I felt so empty without his message or call. What did you call it, Mark?” –I asked him, hopeful.
 
He bursting out laugh and leaving me dumbfounded. As he came from his hyper side, he told me, “Dude, you are in love. How can you don’t know?”
 
“In love?” –I repeated his words. He nodded, “Yes, JB. You are falling in love. Honestly, I never see this side of you, talking full of affection. I felt like I wasn’t talking with JB, I was talking with the new Im Jaebum. You sound different when you talk about him. Whoever he is, he can make you happy, I see. Go for him, dude. I support you. Just, forget about Yoona. You deserve someone better.” 
 
Just once in a while I felt and realized that Mark was older than me. We talked about Youngjae and everything. Until I felt my phone buzzed off. A message came from Youngjae. I felt my heart clenched again. Mark nodded as he said, “Go, now. What are you waiting for?” he chuckled and I sprint out from his office. I dialed Youngjae’s number.
 
“Hello? Hyung?”
 
“Youngjae-ah…” –I called him as I tried my best to slow down my heartbeat and my drive.
 
“Where are you now?” 
 
“Hm, I’m still in the university. Why did you call?”
 
“I’ll go pick you up. Wait for me.” –I hung up, not waiting for his answer as I speed up.
 

 

I arrived at his university and looked for Youngjae. I didn’t realize that the students had their eyes on me. I just focused on searching for Youngjae. I dialed his number again and told him that I was in the university. He said that he was hiding in the coffee shop across the university. I immediately drove there.
 
“Why are you hiding?” –I asked him as soon as I saw him. I took the chair across him.
 
“Nothing. I am afraid that your fans in the university will come after me if they see me with you, hyung.” –he said seriously. I would like to ask him again, but looking at his serious face, I couldn’t help but chuckled.
 
“Why?” –he asked me innocently.
 
I pinched his cheek, “Because you are so cute.” He blushed.
 
“Youngjae-ah, how was your mother? I haven’t seen her since the last time I took you home.”
 
“She is fine, hyung. Yesterday, we went to the hospital again.” He took a sip of his drink, I watched him closely.
 
“There wasn’t much of progress.” –he said almost like whisper. I took a hold of his hand.
 
“She will be fine.” –I assured him. He smiled at me, “Yes.”
 
We talked for a while, lost in the time. I learned more about Youngjae today. He opened up to me more and I could feel that he lean on me a lot by now, ever since he told me about his father’s death and his mother’s illness. And he also told me about the bus driver, whose name was Kim Taehyung, and his daughter was his piano student, Kim Dahyun.
 
I learned more about Youngjae. I knew that he loved music, but I never knew that he wanted to be music therapist. That was the first time I heard it, honestly. Then Youngjae gladly explained to me about it. I watched him closely. I was immersed not in the story, but the way Youngjae spoke, the way his lips curving up and down, the way his face expressed his emotions, and the way his eyes shining while talking about music.
 
Our little time was interrupted by none other than Yoona. Right at this moment. I sighed as she without shame taking a seat beside me and linking her arms. Youngjae was in shocked but he managed to smile. This was one of the reasons I fell for him, I thought.
 
“Hi, there. I’m Yoona, Yoon Yoona, Jaebum’s fiancée. I look that you are close with Jaebum, but I don’t think we ever met before.” –she said. I looked at Youngjae who just stared hard at her and me. I quickly pulled her hands on my arm.
 
“Youngjae, this is Yoona. And Yoona, this is Youngjae.” –I introduced her. Youngjae nodded. “Oh, so you are Jaebum hyung’s fiancée. Ah, I see now.” –he forced a smile. There was a stung in my heart watching him smile.
 
“Yes, and in case Jaebum haven’t inform you, we will get engage two days more. I hope you can come and give your bless.” –I heard Yoona happily inform Youngjae. Youngjae was choking.
 
“Are you okay?” –I asked him, worried as I soothed his back. He nodded, “I’m okay, hyung. Waaahh, you’ll engage? Why didn’t you tell me, hyung?” there is bitterness in his voice, I could tell.
 
“Yoona, stop it. No need to inform it to everyone. It’s not like I agree with this engagement. Now, better you take your leave.” –I glared at her. Youngjae looked at me, shocked with my cold tone, maybe, I didn’t know.
 
“Hyung…” –he whispered.
 
I looked at him, smiling, “Youngjae-ah, are you done drinking? Let’s get back home.” –I said as I took his hand, helping him to stand and guiding him to the door, leaving Yoona alone.
 
“Youngjae…” –I called his name as we sat safely in the car. I didn’t really want to take Youngjae home, not tonight though. I still missed him.
 
“Yes, hyung.” –he pulled his gazed from the way to me.
 
“I don’t feel like taking you home.” –I paused, but Youngjae butted in, “It’s okay, hyung. I can get home by myself. Just get me down here.” –he said, sadly.
 
“No. No. No. I didn’t mean it.” – I quickly responded him. “I mean I can’t take you home now. I still want to spend more times with you.” –I took a glance at him. He seemed a bit hesitant, “I don’t… know, hyung. My mom probably is waiting for me.” –he said.
 
“Oh, okay. I’ll take you home now.” –I said, kept my focus on the road, mentally slapped my head as I carelessly ask him out more.
 
“Hyung…” –Youngjae talked a bit hesitant.
 
“Hm?” –I gestured him to continue.
 
“About the event of the day after tomorrow. Are you really engaged?”
 
“Why?” –I asked him, drove my car to park in front of a candy shop. I paid close attention to him. He looked so nervous as he played with his fingers, eyes everywhere except to me.
 
“Why, Youngjae-ah?” –I asked him again.
 
“Not-nothing, hyung. J-just a bit c-curious.” –he said, stuttering. I felt my smile slowly disappearing. I knew, Youngjae concerned about me, but I never knew his reason. I want to confess to him, but I didn’t think it was the right time. And suddenly his phone ringing, he muttered to me, “Mom.” I nodded as he picked his phone. He talked a bit before hanging up.
 
“Hyung, I have to go home. My mom isn’t feeling well.” –he said, obviously sad. I drove him to his home. He got out of the car and waving his hand, waiting for me to drive away. And once again as I left him, I felt empty. Soon, I drove back to his home. He was still in front of the gate of his home. I quickly ran up to him. He asked me as he watched me run towards him, “Why, hyung? Did you forget some-” I cut his words with a hug. I hugged him tight, not letting him go.
 
“Hyung…”
 
“I missed you.” –I admitted it. He chuckled as he tapped my back.
 
“You just left a minute ago, hyung. You’re funny.”
 
“Whatever.” –I said as I tightened the hug. And that night was the second night that I spent in Youngjae’s home, accompany him to watch his mother.