Ch. 16

When I Met You

 

First, I want to say sorry for the delay. I've been so caught up with my jobs.

Second, this is a long story and a revalation. Hehe.

Third. Hope you enjoy this chapter. ^^


Chapter 16

 

We spent the rest of the day in the beach, sitting on the sand, chatting about everything while waiting for the sunset. Youngjae was the most excited among us. He always overload with energy. I really wish my mom and Youngjae’s parents to be here. One second that thought crossed my mind, the next second, Youngjae said it.
 
“I really wish my parents and your mom were here, hyung. I miss them so much, even though I never meet your mother. I bet she was an amazing woman because she had an amazing son and husband.” –he said.
 
“I think they are watching us from the beautiful place, baby.” –I stated. He nodded before stood up and running around. 
 
“Baby, don’t play too far or you will get lost.” –I exclaimed to him. He laughed hard before saying back, “Silly hyung. I won’t!”
 
I felt so complete, spending my time with my precious people. I love them so much.
 
“Dad, do you ever think about getting married again?” –I asked my father as I watched Youngjae played with some kids. My father surprised by my sudden question.
 
“It’s about the time you let mom go, dad. And start your beautiful life again. I don’t want you to be alone.” –I added.
 
My father let a sigh, “I know. I have way too far from letting you mother go, Jae. I love her so much. I don’t think I can let another woman in my life.” –he said.
 
“Later… you two will know when you’ve get married and being comfortable with each other. Later… you will understand.” –he added. I felt like a bad son after hearing my father’s statement.
 
“Jae… thank you for your concern. But, don’t worry about me so much.” –I looked at him before nod my head. I knew that he would always have his own reason to decide everything. I should learn from him more.
 
I heard Youngjae laughed hard. I looked at him. He was chatting with a girl. I watched as he laughed and the girl’s hand was on Youngjae’s arm. She was literally clinging on to him. I’m boiling with jealousness. I excused myself to walk towards them, my father followed behind.
 
“Baby!” –I yelled as I walked to him. He didn’t notice me and just kept chatting. Suddenly, the girl hugged him and Youngjae hugged her back. I quickly ran to him and ditched the girl’s hand by pulled Youngjae to me.
 
“Hyung?!” –he asked me, shocked.
 
“What are you doing here? You try to cheat on me with this girl?” –I jealously asked him. Youngjae laughed hard. Soon, my father joined us.
 
“Jaebum.” –my father called my name as he squished my shoulder to prevent me jumped to that girl.
 
“What’s so funny?” –I asked Youngjae. I couldn't believe he could laugh hard while I am boiling with jealousness.
 
“You!” –he simply said. “Are you really serious that I’ve crush on her and cheat on you?” –he giggled and the girl giggled with him too. I sent a death gaze towards her which made her suddenly silent.
 
“You know, Jae… I love you so much and you accept my proposal too this afternoon, and a few hours since then I watched you being lovey-dovey with this girl. Are you trying to make me jealous? Because, you success.” –I said to him, couldn’t contain my anger as I walked back, leaving him behind.
 
“Hyung…” –he called me, grabbed my arm. He looked so serious now, no giggling again. As we about to say something, I saw a middle age man ran toward us as he yelled, “Kim Dahyun!”
 
As he walked closer, I knew him as the driver of the bus where I met Youngjae.
 
“Youngjae-ah…” –he said as he came to us, noticed something was wrong. I looked at Youngjae questionably and Youngjae let an awkward smile to the driver.
 
“Hyung, Dad… let me introduce them first.” –he said. I turned my body so I faced him again.
 
“What?” –I tried hard to hold my anger.
 
“I bet you still remember him,” –Youngjae said as he put his hand on the driver’s shoulder. I nodded. “Dad, he was the driver of the bus where I met Jaebum hyung.” –he said to my father. My father seemed to understand te situation quicker than me.
 
“He is Kim Taehyung. I used to call him Taehyung uncle since he is the closest to me after my father’s gone. He is my neighbor, Dad. I’ve told you before, hyung.” –he paused. I nodded.
 
“And this is Dahyun, Kim Dahyun. Her daughter. I am not trying to cheat on you, hyung. She is my student, one of my favorite actually. We’ve been closed since she was a baby. She is just like my own little sister.” –he said. I knew he wanted me to apologize. He waited for me to apologize to Dahyun and Mr. Kim since I thought bad about her.
 
I cleared my throat, “Hm… well…” –I trailed off.
 
“Mr. Kim, I am Jaehyung, Im Jaehyung. And this rude boy is my son, Im Jaebum. And this awesome boy, Youngjae, is my son-in law.” My father butted in as he introduced us.
 
"Son in law?!" -Mr. Kim yelled, shocked, "Jae-ah, you haven't told me yet that you are married and you didn't invite me to your wedding." -he said, sadly. I felt my cheeks blushed as he mention about marriage and wedding party. i hit my head to prevent me thought about erted things.
 
"No, Uncle! I haven't married yet! He has just proposed to me this afternood." -Youngjae said, pouted because he was blamed.
 
“Really?" -Mr. Kim asked again.
 
"Yes, Mr. Kim. Youngjae told the truth. I was there when my son proposed to him." -My father calmly said to him.
 
"Oh, that's relieved. And by the way, nice to meet you, Mr. Im. And you too, Jaebum.” –Mr. Kim said as he shook our hands. He winked at me, “Youngjae told me so much about you. I knew him since he was seven and I knew his mother well.” –he said, I shyly nodded. I couldn’t look at him.
 
Suddenly, Youngjae grabbed my arm and clinging to me, “Hyung, don’t you want to say something to them?” –I looked at him. He has sparkling puppy eyes.
 
“Huh? Oh, yes… I want to apologize for my rude behavior towards your daughter, Mr. Kim. And, Dahyunie, I am sorry for yelling in front of you.” –I said.
 
“Yes, Oppa. I am sorry too. I was just excited to meet Youngjae Oppa here. I don’t know that he is your fiancée, Oppa. Youngjae oppa said that he came with two special persons. I was whining because he didn’t tell me who. Now I know and I think you are very compatible.” –she said. I smiled to her.
 
“But…” –she exclaimed.
 
“Huh?”
 
“If you ever hurt him. I’ll steal him from you because Youngjae oppa is my first love.” –she boldly said, making me shocked. We all shocked with her statement, even Youngjae.
 
“Dahyun-ah… you never said anything to me.” –Youngjae said.
 
“How could I reveal my feelings towards you, Oppa? I am shy, you know. And I was afraid if you didn’t feel the same.” –she said.
 
“I… I am sorry.” –Youngjae apologized. Dahyun grabbed his hand, “Don’t say sorry, Oppa. You’ve got someone better.” –she said, smiling to me.
 
“But... I really meant it, Jaebum Oppa. If you hurt my oppa, you will be suffering because he is the best person after my father. If you hurt him, he will be mine.” –she laughed, left me dumbfounded. 
 
“Dahyun-ah… you shouldn’t say it, sweety.” –Mr. Kim said sweetly to her daughter, scolded her.
 
“It doesn’t matter, Mr. Kim. Dahyun is right. I told Jaebum the same and I think everyone did because Youngjae is a kind and nice and sweet and awesome boy. We don’t want anything hurt him. He is my precious son in law.” –my father said. 
 
“And you, Dahyunie…” –he turned to look at Dahyun who played with Youngjae’s hand, “Yes, Sir?” 
 
My father chuckled a bit before continue, “Dahyun-ah… you are a sweet girl, you will find someone better than Youngjae. Because Youngjae is only for my son.” –my father said, chuckled so hard. I hugged my father, “Thaks, Dad. You are the best. And you, kid!” –I said to her, “Stop playing with my fiancée’s hand. He is mine!” –I glared to her. 
 
She let Youngjae’s hand and hiding behind his father’s back. “Hyung!” –Youngjae glared at me. I gave him an awkward smile. We all laughed hard.
 
“Oh! It’s sunset!” –Youngjae exclaimed excitedly, making us turned around face the beautiful sea. We all enjoyed a few minutes of the sunset, taking some pictures too as the memories.

 

We back to the cottage in the night after having dinner with Mr. Kim and his daughter, Dahyun. Youngjae was magically falling asleep again. I had to pick him up to our room and put him down on the bed. I stood in the edge of the bed, bending my body to help Youngjae detached his shoes and jacket. I ran my hand to sweep his strain of hairs that covers his beautiful face.

 

“He is so beautiful and awesome.” –my father joined me in the room. I turned my head to him, smiling so wide.
 
“Yes, dad. I am so lucky to have him, right?”
 
“Yes, son. You are so lucky. Keep him safe always. Don’t ever hurt him. He is such a filial son to his parents. I bet his parents are very proud of him.”
 
“They did, Dad. His mother told me how proud they were.”
 
“I am proud of you too.” –he stated, making me stared hard at him.
 
“I know. Mom always told me that.” –I assured him, smiling. We smiled at each other before we heard Youngjae humming a song in his sleep. We muffled a chuckle. 
 
“And he is so cute and unbelievably unique.” –my father added. I nodded.
 
“And Dad…” –I hesitantly called him.
 
“Yes, son?”
 
“Hm… about Youngjae. How do you picture him? Hm, I was so surprised when you said you were okay with us and our relationship. At first, I really thought that you will hate him or dislike him. But, it turned out that you love him. I am really happy and shocked at the same time. Why, Dad, why did you accept him?” Finally I could ask something that has been lingering on my mind.
 
“Well… I can’t resist something cute, right? And he is so fluffy and cute and beautiful. He may seem so awkward and shy at first, but that’s his charms. Everyone who knows him must be falling for him. Right?” –he asked me suddenly. 
 
I nodded, “Yes, Dad. Everyone loves him, even my friends too. I love him so much. But, I don’t think that’s all. I bet there is another reason for you too. It's just not so you, Dad, loving someone as fast as you know him.”
 
“Well… yeah… actually when I heard his name, Youngjae and his first name is Choi, I am so surprised, Jae. Why? If I’m not mistaken, you said that he was the only child and his parents were from Mokpo, right? I am about to tell you a long story, so why don’t we talk in the living room. We don’t want to disturb Youngjae, right?” –he said. I walked with him to the living room. We sat down. There’s silence before my father began told me the story.

 

“When I was in junior high school, I used to accompany my father, your grandfather to Mokpo for visiting his friend. His friend has a son around my age too. There, I met my very first best friend. I played with him every time I visited Mokpo. His name was Choi Jinhyuk. 
 
Jinhyuk was a bright kid that has attracted so many girls back then because of his bright and positive aura. At first, I felt minor to be with him because he was the opposite of me. I wasn’t very sociable back then and I have a bad temper, just like you, Jae. But, Jinhyuk accepted me for who I was.
 
He was so patient and always there for me when I was angry and alone. One thing that I never forget was Jinhyuk loved to sing. He has a lovely voice and sometimes when I was sad or angry, he would lift me up by singing like he was having a concert.” –my father paused as he chuckled, reminiscing about his friend.
 
I confused since I didn’t get what this story about and the relation with Youngjae. But, I just sat there and listening to him well.
 
“Time skip. After we got married, Jinhyuk moved to Seoul. I met him and his wife a couple of times. Then, I have you. That was the last time I met Jinhyuk because he moved again and we lost contact since then. 
 
I met him accidentally on my way to office around four years later. He was walking with his son. I said to Jinhyuk that I missed him. We talked for a while and we exchanged number. But, since I was so busy again with my work, I forgot to contact him. The last time he contacted me was when he was in the hospital, in critical condition.
 
Hearing this news, I immediately ran to hospital. There, I met Jinhyuk’s wife and son. But, fate played with us. Jinhyuk left us. He’s gone, and I never saw him, because he was in the ICU when I arrived at the hospital. His wife was shocked and sobbing hard.
 
And I watched his son watching his mom sobbing. He was confused and began crying too. I took him and played with him while his mother was being calmed down by the nurses there.
 
His son has a unique nose, just like Jinhyuk. And he has a bright and positive aura, just like Jinhyuk. He resembles Jinhyuk a lot. I love him so much. And one thing that I never forget about his son is the mole under his right eye, just like Jinhyuk. And he also has so many moles on the neck. Jinhyuk too. He resembles his father a lot.
 
After the funeral, his wife came to me to give me two letters from Jinhyuk. I still kept that letters. One letter was for me and one letter was for his son. In his letter, he said I should give the letter when his son has found someone special. 
 
In his letter for me, he said that his life wasn’t long. He told me about his illness and the reason why he didn’t tell me. He also begged me to take care of his wife and son. He said that I was the only friend that he trusted. I said to myself that I should take care of them.
 
However, about a week after the funeral, they moved again and since I was a fool, I didn’t ask his wife’s contact. I lost my very first best friend, and yet I couldn’t fulfill his last demand. I felt like a coward. I was so sad and angry with myself. That’s why, I worked like crazy to erode my guiltiness over my best friend.” –he paused again.
 
This time I took a courage to ask, “And your friend’s son name is…?”
 
"Youngjae. Choi Youngjae. The one that has been lived with you. Your love one, Jae.” –he looked at me in the eyes. I gasped, closing my mouth to muffled my scream of shock.
 
“Dad… are you sure?” –I asked again.
 
He nodded, “I am sure, Jae. He surely resembles his father a lot. I’ve confirmed it by myself. The very first, I knew him from Mark. So, I called you to meet me. After I met you in the office and you told me about him, I asked Mark again and Mark showed me your photo with Youngjae. In that photo, I didn’t really sure about him, that’s why when you informed me about Youngjae’s performance, I came. I wanted to make sure everything.
 
Without your knowing, when I excuse myself that night, I went to the waiting room to take a glance of Youngjae. At that time, I was more than sure that he is the son of my best friend. Not only his name, but also his face, more over his unique nose, mole under his eyes and moles on his neck. He is Choi Youngjae, son of Choi Jinhyuk, my best friend.
 
I thought that it must be a fate for us to meet again. Oh, I also came to his mother's grave after you told me about her. I’ve some intels. I am sorry, Jae. I just want to make sure that you are alright. But, now I know that you will always be, because you are with the right person.” –my father closed his story. I was still in the middle of shock.
 
“So, that’s why you…” –I couldn’t even continue my words as so many things popped in my head. When my father became workaholic, when he easily got angry towards me, when he suddenly cried over a piece of paper in the night, when he suddenly took interest of my private life.
 
Also when he suddenly wanted to know more about Youngjae, when he suddenly talked and asked more about Youngjae, when he suddenly kind towards Youngjae, when he suddenly gave Youngjae permission to call him ‘dad’, and when he suddenly accepted us and our relationship.
 
“Jae-ah… for paying my debt towards his father, I want to be good to him. And you must be good to him too. I love him as I love you, Jae. His father was my everything.” –he said with quivering voice. I walked towards him and pulled him in the hug.
 
“I will, dad. We will protect him together. Let’s pay visit to his father’s grave together, after your China schedule.” –I said, patting his back.
 
“Yes, Jae. We should. I miss Jinhyuk so much. Let’s take a rest now.”  -he said. I nodded.
 
“Oh, and Jae, please don’t say anything to him. I will tell him by myself. Get rest well, Jae. You drove all the way here. You must be tired. I’ll take a rest as well.” –he said. Before he left, I pulled him to a big hug.
 
“I love you, dad.”
 
“I love you too, son.”

 


a.n: Once again, I wanna say sorry for the late update. Hehe.

Tell me abouth this chapter.

 

Thanks for everyone who upvoted, subscribed, and gave so much love and support for this story. 

Have a nice day, all! ^^