No Surprises

Fools

The mornings really are gloomy. 

Hanbin's learned that even during the summer, the kids and the elderly don't like to step outside before noon. So this time of the year is really quiet. Except for all the cars rushing by. 

He walks towards the school, bare hands in his oversized pockets when a small van stops in front of him.

Hanbin can see Junhoe in the back, poking Donghyuk in the sides.

"Get in loser. We're going shopping!" 

Junhoe yells it over the loud rain and Donghyuk giggles until he's complaining of a stomach ache.

He doesn't want to smile at that but he still does. He jumps in and bows at Junhoe's father and thinks of how he could get way too used to this.

If there's one thing he's learned during his 19 years, it's that you can never let your guard down.

So he sits quietly trying to remind himself why he shouldn't give in and why he should stop smiling.


*
He decides to spend lunch in the bathroom. He's not sure why.

It just seems right to distance himself from the guys a bit. He's only known them for a day and a half and they're already invading his personal space, reminding him how it feels to actually have friends.

So he eats alone in one of the stalls, reading the gross graffiti on the walls.

He keeps daydreaming about blonde hair and misses the bell ringing so he's late again. 

His new physics teacher doesn't like him already and swore that if he's late, he'll put him in detention for the rest of the week.

He's pretty sure this is his punishment for skipping lunch with the friendliest people in this school.

*
As he gets up to leave a loud thump is heard through the quiet bathroom.

He sits down again, hoping that it isn't one of the guys that's come looking for him. He doesn't want to apologize for eating alone. 

And then he hears a female giggle.

Hanbin's mouth opens on it's own accord and then his breath hitches as a low male grumble  vibrates through the bathroom and through him.

There's shuffling and another thump.

The sink gets and he tries to hear over it.

A low breathy moan echoes through the quietness and Hanbin's body jerks. He pulls his legs up, an uneaten apple still sitting on his lap. 

And then there are wet slurping noises and Hanbin wants to cover his ears but his hands just won't move.

"Right there yeah-"

Hanbin bites his lip and squirms, his own body responding in very unpleasant ways. 

He doesn't know how long he sits there. It feels like an hour but it's probably just 5 minutes.

There's the familiar sound of kissing and a female voice whispering so low, Hanbin has to lean himself forward to hear it.

"Let's go, we're gonna be late."

" okay, give me a second."

"Bobby "

"Fine, fine."

And that's the first time he hears Bobby's voice. 

 

*
When 10 minutes pass and no sounds are heard he gets up, legs wobbling under him.

The sink is turned off, a pair of sneakers screeching through the hallway making a ton of noise. 

Hanbin swallows the lump in his throat, that he didn't even notice forming, and walks back to class.

If someone would ask him what he learned in physics that day, he wouldn't know how to answer.

*

 

Hanbin's kind of pissed off at this Bobby guy. 

He's now got detention because of him. And Hanbin would blame the girl as well but he doesn't have a name.

So instead he's blaming Bobby.

They're in the library working on some grammar excercises with his English class when Donghyuk appears out of nowhere.

"Where were you during lunch?"

Hanbin swallows hard.

"Nowhere."

Donghyuk gives him a glare.

"Come on. Did you eat by yourself? Did you even eat at all?"

Hanbin wants to laugh at how much he sounds like a worried parent. 

"Yeah, I ate here. My mom made lunch today."

Donghyuk doesn't seem to buy it but nods anyway.

He sits down with his homework and Hanbin's pretty sure he's gonna get kicked out when the teacher notices him talking and disturbing Hanbin from his schoolwork. He hopes it happens soon.

"Why so down?" 

Donghyuk's grabbing an apple from the depths of his bag and Hanbin remembers his legs wobbling in the bathroom stall. 

"Damn, something really is bugging you."

He startles, aware of how he's scowling.

"Yeah. Got detention."

Donghyuk pats him on the back and they have small talk about the physics teacher. Turns out almost everyone dislikes him and Hanbin feels a bit better about himself. 

He's never been the type to hold grudges against people. 

*


Before Donghyuk does get kicked out, he mentions a football game at the end of the week.

"You should come. Yunhyeong's playing and his grandpa is coming to see. Junhoe's betting that if they lose Yunhyeong's gonna cry. I'm kinda leaning towards them winning this time so we'll see."

Hanbin shrugs his shoulders.

"Please come." Donghyuk bats his eyelashes at him and Hanbin hopes he doesn't look uncomfortable.

"You can be the middle man. I need protection from Junhoe if he loses. He's got an attitude you know."

Hanbin snorts. 

"Okay fine."

Donghyuk smiles at him and Hanbin wants to tell him how he's too overwhelming to be around. 

He doesn't though.


*
Junhoe offers to drive him home but Hanbin decides for walking.

He needs to wind down and prepare himself for the fight he's gonna have with his mother. 

How do you tell your parent, or pretty much anyone, that you missed half of your class cause a guy, Bobby , decided to get a in the bathroom you were in? 

That's right. You don't.


*
He drops by the supermarket on his way back. Grabbing some ramen and a chocolate bar that Hanbyul loves.

He hasn't been to the store in a while. He's not one to go grocery shopping for fun.

The store owner is nice though and the smell of incense makes him feel dizzy in a pleasant way. 

He bumps into a smaller body in the register.

It's Jinhwan and Hanbin tries to hide his surprise.

"You look like you've just seen a ghost."

Hanbin chokes on his own saliva and Jinhwan smirks.

"Well yeah. You kind of are one."

Jinhwan laughs this time and Hanbin feels much more at ease.

"Why're you shopping this late?"

Jinhwan's got an unreadable face. A pretty one that is.

Hanbin shrugs his shoulders.

"Wanted to get something for my sister."

"Ah, I see."

Jinhwan toys with the chocolate bar and Hanbin finds himself intrigued by him.

"You're new right?"

The question cuts through the silence and Hanbin nods.

"Why'd you transfer?"

He stares at the ground a bit too harshly and forces that same fake smile on his face, that's reserved for all the principals and school officials who are just too curious for their own good.

"Mom wanted to move, so.." 

He trails off. Jinhwan looks at him intensely before he closes off again and Hanbin really want's to be able to read him.

"Well, I'm glad you came here. New blood is always fun."

He smiles sweetly and then he's paying for his stuff leaving Hanbin a bit dumbstruck.

He steps to the register, grabbing his own money when the lady says it's already been payed for.

Hanbin walks home a bit bewildered. It starts raining again and he wonders if he's glad that he came too. 

 

************************

I hope y'all like it! Honestly I didn't think I'd update this soon but here it is! Im not gonna promise updates this fast all the time though cause I can feel that this fics gonna be super long.. Damn.