Epilogue : Fools Rush In

Fools

Hanbin awakes to the soft snoring on his side. He blinks his eyes open, weary not knowing if he's still dreaming or not.

He isn't, made sure by the fact that Bobby's legs are wrapped all over him, trapping him to his spot on the bed. It feels a bit chilly as if it's snowing again but Hanbin senses the spring in the air more than ever now.

He slowly pushes Bobby's sleep heavy arms away and untangles their legs, stretching in the sunlight that's quietly starting to sweep through the room. It smells like a mix of musk and jasmine around him and Hanbin smiles, the specks of cinnamon mantled on Bobby's cheeks, the apple streaked in his hair.

He gets up without sparing a second glance at him, even as his heart demands it. Instead he opens the door that's slightly ajar to step into their kitchen, checking to see if anyone's there.

No sign of Bobby's parents and Hanbin feels himself relax a little, knowing it wouldn't be an issue even if they were there. Slightly inappropriate, but not an issue.

There's a note on the kitchen counter, Hanbin biting into the last apple on the table as he reads it. He smiles and takes one last look at the bedroom door before putting on his sneakers and stepping out.

*


"Mornin'."

Bobby's finally awake by noon and Hanbin punches him lightly in the arm as he bends him over the counter for a kiss.

"Brush your teeth."

Bobby snickers, grabbing his jaw in his hands and forcing their lips to touch. Hanbin doesn't fight it, instead letting himself go for a bit. Bobby tastes like the night before, like sweaty skin and deep moans, like the orange peels in the lube they used.

"I already did."

Liar.

Hanbin doesn't mind it though, grabbing their cups of coffee and a plate of bagels. Bobby quirks his brow as he bites into one, a streak of melted cheese stuck in the corner of his mouth. Hanbin squirms in his seat until he leans forward and wipes it off. Bobby just gives him a look at that.

"Where'd you get these?"

Hanbin stares at his fingernails as if there's something interesting there, bites his lip not to smile.

"I made 'em."

Bobby almost chokes on his coffee and Hanbin holds in his laughter with a sip of his own. It burns his tongue but he doesn't mention it, the overpowering taste of honey kind of nice.

"You didn't."

He tries to ignore the suffocating endearment he has for him and opens his mouth to speak instead.

"You're right. I got up around 10 and went out to buy apples for Hanbyul and got these on the way."

Bobby gives him another one of his looks, before slapping him gently on the arm and pulling him closer. Hanbin obliges and feels the sting of sweat on his lower back, as the presence of Bobby's body overheats him in a second.

"How'd you like last night?"

They're sitting closer now, knees brushing against each other as are their knuckles. Hanbin has nowhere to hide his goofy smile.

"It was fine."

Bobby pouts but smiles a moment later. Hanbin feels as if he's bathing in the sun when he looks at him but doesn't mention it.

"Just fine? Alright, next time I'm taking you on a trip to Jeju island if that's what it takes to make you happy."

Hanbin snorts and pushes him without any force behind it, letting his fingers fall into Bobby's hair and get lost in it. Just as he's lost in him.

"It was great. Even though I wouldn't mind a trip to Jeju. But we'll have to wait until the..until everything is done. Maybe for graduation?"

Bobby hums in contempt and nods, letting his head sway from side to side, which ever way Hanbin nudges it.

They stare at each other for a minute. It's quiet, save for the chirping of a single annoying bird outside their window but Hanbin doesn't mind. As long as Bobby's looking at him like that, he doesn't mind a thing.

"That reminds me, Donghyuk texted that they're gonna have the graduation ceremony on Wednesday. Do you want to go?"

Bobby nudges his hand on his cheek then and Hanbin finds his thumb hovering over his lips. Bobby makes a show of biting it but Hanbin sees through him and leans away with a yelp, smile still plastered on his face.

"I don't know. I'd love to but it's.. are you ready to go back?"

Bobby looks worried now, even as Hanbin's thumb swipes over his lips and takes with it a speck of fennel, left over from the bagels they haven't even finished yet.

"Yeah. She's not there anymore and neither are we. Besides we haven't seen all the guys in ages."

Bobby agrees with a nod, eyes slightly worried still. Hanbin doesn't mention it, letting his thumb slide into his mouth with a bop. Bobby's eyes flicker with glee and he pulls him forward and onto his lap. Hanbin chokes on a laugh, saved from falling between their chairs by just an inch and a second.

Bobby tastes like fennel and the honey from both of their coffees. Hanbin opens his eyes just to see the specks of sun stuck on his face and closes them again, lips curling into a smile as Bobby deepens the kiss, into something hot and languid. Everlasting.

*


They're on their way to their old high school and Hanbin feels his legs jitter. The train was a bit late and he doesn't want to miss seeing his friends before the ceremony.

But most of all his legs jitter because there are a few familiar faces sitting not that far away from them and it brings back the chill of her words and the scrape of her nails.

Bobby's fingers are wrapped safely around his, earbuds in as he listens to something embarrassing, most probably. Yet Hanbin doesn't feel like listening to music and relaxing. Feels as if he's out of breath and not really knowing how to get it back.

One of the familiar faces steps closer in fifteen minutes and Hanbin wants to wail but keeps himself still instead. Bobby tenses in a second, taking out his earbuds and eyebrows raising in worry.

"Hi, umm.. can I sit here?"

Realisation dawns over his features as they come face to face with Nayeon.

"I.. guess so."

Bobby lets go of his fingers just to put his arm protectively around him. Hanbin wants to roll his eyes but before he can do that, his boyfriend speaks.

"If you don't mind sitting with two faggots. I mean, that's what you probably want to say, right? So if you're here to insult us, yes we're still together and no, we don't care about what people say. Not even you."

Nayeon stares down at her fingers, brows twisted in something similar to confusion and apology. Hanbin holds his breath to see which it is.

"I'm--I'm sorry if that's what you think of me. I thought you guys knew that I didn't mean.. any of what happened. I really am sorry. I just..I guess it's stupid of me but I came here to ask how you've been. And if you're ready to forgive me." She looks up then, brushing the hair out of her eyes. "Or something."

Her smile doesn't even look like one and Hanbin feels his heart sting a little. He trades a glance with Bobby, heaving out a sigh.

"It's okay, Nayeon. It's just a touchy subject, that's all."

She seems to smile genuinely then, Hanbin's words encouraging her to speak again.

"So.. how have you been? I haven't seen you in town and I heard some.. stuff. But I've made a point of not listening to rumors anymore. Or spreading them."

Bobby laughs at that but it's genuine and not at all mocking. Hanbin gives him a peck on the cheek for it and Bobby seems to turn a bit red. Both him and Nayeon hold in a snicker.

"Well.. I moved out of my mom's house and contacted child services. Bobby's parents are trying to get custody of my sister now but we get to take care of her until the case ends. The hearing is next month so we're hoping for the best."

Her eyes widen a bit at each word he says and Hanbin wonders why.

"I didn't know it was that serious. I'm sorry you had to go through that."

Hanbin raises his brow and Nayeon coughs, it sounds just as awkward as she looks.

"I heard.. uhh.. rumors about what your mom--well I guess they're kind of true. And I'm sorry."

Bobby's grip around his shoulder tightens and Hanbin heaves out yet another sigh. He hasn't really thought about it much. Doesn't want to. It's been four months since he ran away from her and four months since he's seen her. He hopes he never has to again.

"It's okay. But yeah now we're going to another school but we missed a few weeks so Bobby here has to repeat a few physics courses and I have to take literature again. It's fine though, the school is just as crappy as our old one so.."

They all laugh and Nayeon's eyes sparkle back at him. Hanbin remembers how she looked at him on their first date. The date Bobby set up just so he could stare at him over the table with lust filled eyes and flare his nostrils in jealousy. He wants to laugh but doesn't.

"So where are you going? How have you been?"

Bobby seems relaxed now, okay with her being there and Hanbin hopes that this is a fresh start for all of them. He really doesn't think she's a bad person. Doesn't think anyone is if they're willing to learn from their mistakes and grow as a person. He wishes he could say the same about his mother.

"I'm good! I'm just going to Jeongyeon's graduation. She's finally bringing her boyfriend too so I can meet him. Do you know him, maybe? Mark?"

Hanbin feels his throat close up at the name and wonders if it really is him.

"Mark.. who?"

She straightens her bangs for the longest second of his life.

"Mark Lee? He's a year younger than her which.. is supposed to be a secret. She's gonna kill me! Don't tell her I said anything."

Bobby's laugh takes the tension right out of his body and Hanbin feels himself melt into his side for the rest of the ride. He wonders what it'd feel like if it were his Mark. And Hanbin thinks he'd be ready to face him after all.

*


"Oh my god. Gross."

Bobby's shoving him towards the school gates as a lot of people stare at them in wonder and probably disgust. Hanbin doesn't care, holding onto his boyfriend's side as the sun beams down upon them in approval.

"What happened?"

Hanbin turns around to adjust the two hangers between his fingers. Their suits, which hopefully aren't wrinkled yet.

"Donghyuk just sent me the grossest snapchat. Look at this!"

Hanbin does and cackles at Bobby's over exaggerated response. It's Jinhwan and Junhoe, making out in the back of the drama clubs changing rooms.

"We're just as gross as them. But maybe not that public about it."

Bobby nudges him in the side as they step inside the building. Hanbin feels the staleness again but it doesn't bother him this time. His life is a clean sheet and he doesn't need a breath of fresh air anymore.

"Yeah but I don't want to see them making out. Besides, we're supposed to be the token couple in the group. They're stealing our spotlight."

Hanbin finds the hallway he's supposed to meet Donghyuk at and pushes Bobby towards the bathrooms.

"Give them a break, honey. It's young love."

Bobby steals a last glance at him and mutters "What? We're not old. We're Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling not Old Person 1 and Old Person 2."

Hanbin cackles as he gives out his last response. "They're supposed to be the same people!"

Bobby disappears with a huff and Hanbin's left standing in the hallway, worrying about the tuxedos. It takes him a minute to the notice the hallway and remember it was the same one he met Donghyuk in. The day he decided to keep living. And oh how grateful he is for it.

"You're here or am I dreaming?"

Donghyuk appears with his new hairdo, platinum blonde and curled at the ends. Hanbin feels his breath hitch for a second and decides he has to mention it.

"You look amazing. When'd you get this done?"

Donghyuk has the audacity to blush, as if he doesn't know how good he looks and tells him all about the haircut that cost him a years worth of allowance.

"I'm glad you came though. I thought maybe.. you know after all that happened and the people here."

Donghyuk scratches his nape as the words seem to leave his throat with slight restrain, his voice a bit shallow. Hanbin wonders if he's holding in tears and to his surprise finds that he himself is.

"I'm glad to be here. Wouldn't miss it for the world. Plus, you said you had a surprise for me?"

Donghyuk smiles widely at that and grabs his elbow dragging him forward.

"Hey! I still have to change into my tux!"

"That's where I'm taking you. You can't miss my surprise so we gotta hurry."

*


Turns out Donghyuk's surprise is his belated birthday present. He's seated next to Bobby in the theater, next to everyone else and their glances of disdain.

It's getting dark in the room and Hanbin wonders what all of this is about. A few figures arrive late and he can tell who they are just by the sound of their steps.

"Sorry! Junhoe here decided it was a great idea to make out with my neck and I had to borrow concealer from Jeongyeon."

Jinhwan rolls his eyes and swats Junhoes' arm. The other just laughs at him, eyes sparkling with mischief. Hanbin feels weirdly giddy, as if his chest is about to explode or cave in on itself. Hanbin doesn't mind it at all.

"Can you guys believe what I have to put up with?"

Yunhyeong sighs as Junhoe elbows him in the stomach with a playful scowl. Yunhyeong tries to hold in his wince under Jisoo's heavy gaze.

The lights darken completely then and the theater projectors turn on.Donghyuk steps on the stage, the same old glasses on the tip of his nose. Hanbin smiles to himself and entwines his fingers with Bobby, his eyes still warm and sunny in the glow of the the stage. Hanbin swallows the urge to kiss him, letting his nose bump his instead.

Bobby takes his hand and with it, his whole life too.

"In honor of our last day here, the drama club prepared a play. Directed by our very own Kim Jonghyun and starring Kim Seokjin, from the neighbouring school."

The applause startles him as Hanbin gets stuck in his own smile and the warmth of Donghyuk's features.

"Written by our own fabulous Kim Jinhwan and former student Kim Hanbin. A big thank you to everyone here and I hope you enjoy!"

Donghyuk leaves the stage as the eyes leave him and Jinhwan, slowly but surely he forgets the feeling he used to have while there and it replaces with the weird warmth he's yet to put a finger on. Hanbin wants to call it fondness but doesn't think he's that cheesy yet.

He smiles at Jinhwan as they high five over their play being the chosen one and as everyone settles in their seats he settles into his life, by Bobby's safe side.

*


"You looked great up there! Congratulations!"

Jeongyeon is there to hug Yunhyeong as they await for the others to get their diplomas. Hanbin feels as if he needs to say something to her but knows he doesn't as soon as their eyes lock. She smiles at him and he smiles at her and everything's just as it was before, but a tad bit better.

Bobby makes small talk with her until Mark arrives and they get introduced. He seems like a better Mark than the one he knew. Seems like a Mark that's willing to love and be loved. Hanbin embraces the fondness in his chest completely then.

As soon as Jinhwan and Junhoe get down from the podium they all elope the annoying ceremony and hang out at the library again. Junhoe complains about their choice but stops as soon as Jinhwan gives him a look.

"Whipped."

Bobby whispers in his ear as they sit down and open the bags of take out Jisoo brought, making her Junhoe's official guardian angel, at least that's what he says.

"Why isn't Chanwoo here?"

Yunhyeong's munching on his meat, giving a peace of it to Jisoo and Hanbin makes a shocked sound, getting hit with a copy of "Pride and Prejudice". Jisoo giggles but still reprimands him and Hanbin forgets about the dull ache left by the book.

"My parents took him on a trip to visit our grandparents. We got left behind."

Junhoe is ready to make a crude remark about Bobby's statement but he continues with a vicious glare.

"Because of Hanbyul. We're taking care of her and being responsible adults."

Junhoe still snickers and Jinhwan lets him be, fingers grabbing his forearm as he makes the comment himself.

"Responsible adults means lots and lots of right?"

Mark and Yunhyeong groan at that, the latter covering his ears with his palms and begging for someone to make it stop. Jisoo's face is as red as the takeaway package.

"Look who's talking."

Hanbin is surprised to see Bobby's face and neck covered in red blotches. He coos in his boyfriends ear, shimmying closer so his hand's on his thigh and mouth against his ear as he does it. Bobby's blotches expand in numbers and Hanbin feels his sweaty fingers remove his hand. He doesn't mention how he looks like their constellation all on his own.

"So are you up for the party after prom?"

Donghyuk rolls his eyes at the mention of party and Junhoe's ready to make a comment about him being a huge nerd before he reveals a bottle of wine from his backpack, making them all holler in joy.

"Wait, there's a prom?"

Bobby's turning his gaze towards Junhoe as he pets Donghyuk appreciatively on the back, ruffling his hair in the process.

"Well yeah, not really a prom like they have in the West but.. a lame DJ, some dancing and definitely countless amounts of sneaked in soju."

Bobby turns to him with puppy dog eyes and Hanbin nods, not willing to miss it for the world. Nor the chance of seeing Bobby drink himself under the table and getting to make fun of it for the rest of the month.

"I guess we're in!"

Another bout of hollering echoes through the quietness of the library and Hanbin finishes his food without a problem.

*


"We're gonna head out already. See you at Jinhwan's in an hour?"

Yunhyeong and Jisoo come over to the punch table as someone from Girls Generation wails over the gymnasium.

"Take Donghyuk with you or he'll get too drunk and fall asleep here."

Hanbin looks at their friend on the other side of the room, giggling about something stupid with the guy that directed the show.

Bobby pours them another glass of juice with some soju, labeled as 'water', sprinkled in there and leaves for a quick bathroom break. Hanbin looks at the sparsely populated gymnasium as someone taps on his shoulder.

Jinhwan doesn't look drunk at all even though he knows he's probably got a bottle of soju in him already. He glances to his back but Junhoe's off to the bathrooms with Bobby and it's just the two of them. Hanbin gets a tinge of nostalgia as he thinks of the cocoa he used to make and realises he kind of misses it.

"So.. is Hanbyul alone right now? Are you that irresponsible?"

Jinhwan downs his glass and Hanbin gives him a glare. It's soft though, more like a fond look than what he intended.

"Bobby's parents made it back before we left. She's probably watching her cartoons right now. So no, very responsible."

Jinhwan looks at the crowd and then at him. He smiles and Hanbin sees the silver linings spread out before the both of them.

"You should visit more often. It gets boring with just Junhoe by my side."

Hanbin snorts and downs his own glass. Jinhwan hides his smile in his sleeve.

"Yeah, I have hard time believeing that."

Jinhwan doesn't answer but the shimmer on his cheeks and the glimmer in his eyes is all he needs to know.

"Alright, we're gonna head out. See you later?"

Hanbin nods, staring at his shoes as he's caught in thinking about Chanwoo and if he's going to arrive in time for the party.

"Hanbin?"

"Yeah?"

Jinhwan stares at him for a second, shaking his head and starting to leave again.

"Nothing. I'm just glad you're here."

I'm glad you're fine.

Hanbin smiles back at him.

"I'm glad you are too."

*


"Alright since we're at a dance we should.. you know.. dance?"

Bobby's been standing next to him, bouncing his leg, for about five minutes before he says it. Hanbin knew it was coming but he can't say no now. He's never been good at this, at moving his body and swaying before prying eyes. But for Bobby he'd do anything. So he says yes.

"Okay. But I , so just.. don't laugh."

Bobby chuckles already and Hanbin wants to punch him but doesn't.

They move to the middle of the dance floor and Hanbin puts his arms awkwardly around Bobby. The other snuggles closer, hands resting on his waist.

Hanbin snorts as they look at each other, close but not as close as he'd want them to be.

"Stop, you're doing fine. Just.. move along with me."

And so he does, Bobby's fingers gripping his suit and making it wrinkle. Hanbin doesn't mention it though, afraid that his hands will swoop downwards instead.

He gets used to the pairs of eyes on them in a few minutes. Get used to the beating of Bobby's heart and the rhythm it seems to like. Gets used to the feeling of Bobby in his arms and in his life for good.

He thinks of how Hanbyul's tucked safely into her bed at home and smiles, knowing she's fine and they're fine and somehow he's found his silver linings.

He up the bead of sweat rolling down Bobby's neck and it tastes nothing like rain drops. Tastes more like that night they had a pillow fight and ended up kissing until the sunrise. Or like the day Bobby took him by the sea and made love to him just as he did in those weed hazy dreams, his fingernails scratching Bobby's tanned back and lips painting him blue with his teeth chattering kisses, wrapping him in the reindeer sweater as he shivered through his .

Bobby kisses the spot beneath his ear as the song changes into something he's heard once before. And I love her. And Hanbin thinks he loves him. And that he's found his happy ending after all.

 

 

*********

so this is itttt!!!!!!!!!!! im so.. wow im kinda overwhelmed since ive been writing this for SO long but im so glad i finally finished it! as you can probably tell i listened to heavy amounts of 'cant help falling in love' and 'and i love her' as i wrote this lmao so just in case you want a soundtrack for this chapter.. and i dont really even like notebook that much idk why i keep mentioning it? i guess its the most well known romantic movie ANYWAY
thank you to everyone whos been reading this and cheering me on and just.. in general thanks to everyone whos dropped by at least once! i especially appreciate all of you who've commented and been here from the start (u know who u are) <3
i feel like ive improved so much while writing this? no bragging lmao but seriously.. this fic is the longest thing ive ever written and ive lived through so many hard times and good times with it and i feel like its just.. made me a better person and a better writer. i can definitely see improvement but i'll try and keep improving, i know i have a long way to go :)
if you have any questions or just.. want to hit me up then im wangjaebum on tumblr! and yeah.. i guess this is it.. see you in the next one! (cause trust me there'll be one)