In My Veins

Fools


Hanbin's not sure what to do next. Bobby's almost sobbing in his arms and the cold is coming in from the streets.

He smells like dirt and sweat and Hanbin's too intoxitated by it to make sense of it all. Bobby's shivering more than him and he wonders if this really is heartbreak over Jeongyeon or something much deeper. 

"Hey, can you step back for just a second? I'll close the door and then we'll get you out of those wet clothes."

Bobby nods, eyes teary and snot almost running down his nose. Hanbin's surprised how he doesn't feel grossed out at all. All he wants is to comfort him and tell him it's okay. He's never felt this way for anyone. Not even blonde haired boys with big toothy smiles.

He closes the door with a thump and now they're left alone with nothing but silence and Bobby's sniffing. Hanbin can hear the old clock tick in the living room and he wonders how much time he has before they get here. 

"I'll go get you something dry and then you'll tell me what happened."

He's wiping Bobby's tears with his thumbs, the action speaking for itself. Bobby sniffles again, grabbing for his tissue and Hanbin shivers for the first time since he got here, their bodies separated for the briefest of moments. 

He's been unaware of his almost status but now Bobby's gotten some space between them and his eyes keep wandering downwards, even when they're filled to the brim with tears. Hanbin takes notice of how his boxers are pretty much soaked through and his entire body is visible to those prying eyes. He let's it go this time, Bobby's wellbeing racing towards the front of his priority list.

Bobby keeps sniffling and staring at his wet socks. Hanbin wonders if he's even aware of how long he's been standing there, quiet and so unlike himself.

"Wait here, I'll be right back."

He's almost to the stairs when Bobby grabs his elbow, fingers pushing into his bones. Hanbin wonders why his hands are still so warm when everything else about him screams the opposite. 

"Please don't - "

He looks at Hanbin with earnest eyes and he just can't say no anymore. 

"-I can't be alone right now. Can I come with?"

Hanbin nods, thinking of all the reasons why he should tell him to stay put. He wonders if the part of him that want's Bobby in his room and in his clothes, is the same part the other's trying so hard to deny. Hanbin stopped denying a long time ago. 

"Yeah, sure. Just don't be surprised at how messy my room is."

Bobby's smile is just a shadow of what it used to be, crushing Hanbin's spirit with wave after wave of melancholy. 

Hanbin hopes the sun will come out and leave invisible freckles on his skin that he can't ever wash off. 

*

His room isn't messy at all, according to Bobby's words. Hanbin snorts, pushing his dirty clothes on the lonely armchair next to his bed. 

"Here, take this and put it on. I'll find some pants too. And dry socks."

Bobby's sitting on his bed now as Hanbin hands him an old and ugly christmas sweater that his mother brought him from abroad, about 8 years ago. He wishes for Bobby to wash away the memories that came with it. 

He expects a laugh or at least a soft little noise from Bobby but there's nothing. Just a quiet thanks and Hanbin can't bare to see him like this ever again. 

"Do you want underwear too?"

Bobby looks up at him then, his eyes slowly moving down his body. Hanbin shivers but definitely not from the cold Bobby left on his skin earlier.

"Yeah, you should change too. It's kinda flashy down there."

Bobby smiles a bit and Hanbin can feel his heart race in his chest but it's nothing compared to the weak flutter in his stomach that appears only when Bobby's around. He snorts and hopes that Bobby'll leave him alone for just a few seconds so they could change.

Except he's already taking his clothes off, wet socks dripping on Hanbin's gray carpet and skinny jeans painfully stuck to his thighs. Hanbin can see how pale his skin looks and he wonders if it's the gloomy weather or if it's the blue of his veins.

They stand there, in the quietness of his bedroom, that he's never let anyone beside his family see, and Hanbin wonders if Bobby being there even makes a difference. 

The rain's coming down hard and then so are his boxers.

Bobby's still sitting on his bed, shirt stuck over his head, finally taking it off and giving an almost appreciative glance at his body. Hanbin grabs another pair of baby blue underwear and hopes it's not too obvious that he's never done this before. Even if he wanted to. 

Bobby's eyes keep darting to his face. Questions stuck on his tongue like sugar but not coming out. Hanbin's never seen him this sincere, this honest. His heart's on his sleeve and it's barely beating. 

Bobby lets out a loud whine while Hanbin rummages through his closet, looking for something to wear himself. He peaks at him from beneath his messy bangs and Bobby's just staring, pout forming on his face. 

"I can't get these stupid pants off. They're Jinhwans' gift for my birthday and I don't want to tear them."

He sounds tired and Hanbin wants to tuck him to bed and let him sleep it off. It's finally dawning on him that this might not be about Jeongyeon at all. 

He helps.

He's on his knees, Bobby's legs spread before him making Hanbin wonder why his thoughts haven't drifted into inappropriate territories yet. Bobby's sure giving him reasons to, his mouth slightly parting when Hanbins' hands graze his silky skin and when their eyes meet while they're both simultaneously their lips. 

Hanbin finds him too vunerable, too hurt. This time it feels like Bobby's the prey, waiting to be hunted. Legs parting when Hanbin's jaw is extremely close to his inner thighs. Breath hitching when Hanbin pats his knee softly. His eyes are screaming for Hanbin to do something. He doesn't.  

The pants fall down his ankles and Hanbin can finally breathe.

He can hear Bobby's heart start beating again when they look at each other. Both neatly dressed, faces red and eyes dreamy. The light slowly surfaces back, when his adam's apple bobs while the both of them  are stuck in his doorway, chest to chest, eye to eye. Hanbin can feel how much Bobby wants it to be mouth to mouth too but he won't let it happen like this. There are so many little things about him that make him fragile like his mothers' most precious china. He's not going to break him, not yet. 

*

They're sitting on his couch, the tv on mute and two empty tea cups on his living room table.

Bobby's been quiet for a while and Hanbin's struggling to not write sonnets in his mind about the way he's already in his veins. 

Bobby's shy but bold all at once. His gaze daring but his body cold. Hanbin waits patiently until he speaks up, letting the dam fall. 

"I just don't get it."

Bobby drinks the last of his tea, the christmas sweater with an ugly reindeer making him look younger than he actually is. 

"I was so sure about our breakup and yet it still took me by surprise. I expected it but then I didn't...you get what I mean?"

Hanbin's hands lay limp on his thighs, his skin breaking out in goosebumps when he thinks of how warm Bobby's fingertips would make him.

He expected Bobby to crawl under his skin but not like this. Not at all.

"Yeah, I do." 

Bobby lets his head fall back as he keeps staring at the ceiling, the cup now placed firmly between his thighs.

"I was so in love with her and like.. a while back it just stopped. I know I should have told her but she was still so nice and so warm and I wanted to love her back, I did but.."

Bobby's whispering now and Hanbin doesn't want to interrupt, instead letting his head fall back too, eyes caught on the same spot as Bobby's.

"It just stopped. Her hair wasn't that sweet anymore and her smile was cute but not what I wanted. What I craved. "

Bobby lets out an almost inaudible sigh and Hanbin wants to tell him how much he relates. How he felt like this towards blonde hair and tall bodies but now he's craving something else. Something real and dirty and foreign, all at the same time.

"I know you're probably like, what the is he on about but.. this is the only way I can explain it."

Hanbin nods, knowing that Bobby can't see him. 

"I was relieved at first, when she said were done. But then I looked at her and it hurt so much."

Bobby's voice cracks and Hanbin surges forward, pulling him in for a hug that seems to never end. Bobby's nuzzling into his neck again, soft whimpers falling from his lips and Hanbin could never give him up. Ever. 

He thinks of Jeongyeons' honey glazed hair and how it fit Bobby's type so perfectly. Short hair, wide smiles, features that are mean't to dazzle. He wonders if her fingertips turned cold on his back and if Jinhwan's smile has become just another in the crowd. 

Bobby's tears fall down his neck and Hanbin's tired of chasing the raindrops.

*

"I saw her after the game yesterday, she seemed totally fine. And you were both so cuddly on the field. Did she explain?"

Hanbin knows what happened but he asks anyway. 

"Nah, she just said that second chances are worth nothing or some sort of crap and then I begged her for a third and well then she slapped me, claiming that I have someone else."

Hanbin snorts, feeling awkward right afterwards. Bobby's cheeks have color in them now so he thinks it's okay. 

"Why'd she think that though? Or you really do have someone else?"

Bobby's eyes land on him the moment he says it and Hanbin wants to tell him how obvious he is. How he should stop cause Hanbin's too far gone and he'll probably never get over him. He stays quiet instead, letting Bobby look away shyly.

"No. I have no idea where she took that silly idea from. Women, huh?"

He laughs and Hanbin joins in, not knowing what they're laughing about at all.

"But enough of my sad story. Tell me, how'd it go with Nayeon? You two working out well?"

Bobby keeps glancing at him nervously like this is some sort of a million dollar question. Hanbin stretches out his legs, still in his boxer shorts but hoodie thrown on him for good measure. 

"Were not gonna continue."

Bobby looks genuinely surprised, making him squirm, their usual selves back again. 

"Why? She's cute."

Bobby wiggles his brows and Hanbin can't help but stare at him fondly. He stares right back.

"Cause I can't date someone when I like you more than them."

Bobby seems like he was expecting to laugh and now he's a bit dumbfounded. Hanbin's hearbeat is pounding just as strongly as the rain against his windows. 

"If I like my friend more than my girlfriend then it's obvious it's not working out." 

Hanbin sees how Bobby's chest constricts with a deep breath and then the light bulb goes off in his head.

"Oh, right. That silly question I asked you." 

He seems a bit flustered for mistaking this for something that he clearly thinks it isn't. Hanbin wants to say how much it is. 

"Yeah, I can't believe you made me say it. You're such an ."

Bobby agrees which makes the both of them laugh. Hanbin stands up asking if he wants a coffee and Bobby nods, the sun back in his eyes making his freckles stand out even in the darkened room. Hanbin makes his own coffee extra strong.

*

They end up chatting all throughout the day, making several cups of coffee and tea. Hanbin's pretty hyped up by 7 and Bobby's looking so much cuter in his old clothes than he did two hours ago.

They're sitting in his room doing homework out of all things when Bobby makes the suggestion of going to Jinhwans for the rest of the night. 

Hanbin's not sure how he feels about it and how Bobby does either. He looks like he wants to see Jinhwan, talk to him and let him know how he is but there's also some sort of an unsettling battle that he's still struggling with and seeing Jinhwan'd make him figure it out without him wanting to.

Hanbin suggests listening to music instead and turns out they have a similar taste. Almost too similar for his liking and Hanbin accuses him of secretly stealing his Itunes password. 

Bobby chokes on his laugh and Hanbin finds his face so endearing. Hair soft from rain and nose scrunched, Hanbin's old sweater a bit too tight and a bit too loose on his perfectly sculpted body.

Bobby stops laughing when he doesn't join in and Hanbin feels embarrassed. Bobby keeps quiet, starting a tickle fight instead, ignoring whatever moment they were supposed to have.

Hanbin remembers the shower and how Bobby had been so close and for the first time this day, it makes him feel too uncomfortable to bear. So he jumps on Bobby's back trying to get a piggyback ride out of him. The other snorts and throws him on the bed which is also an uncomfortable area for Hanbin. 

He decides to give a ride to Bobby, his arms quivering under the weight of him. Bobby's laugh makes it all worth it though. 

They're running down the stairs, Hanbin sweating and Bobby making whipping noises when the door opens. Hanbin almost drops him on the spot.

*

When Bobby's done cooing at Hanbyul and giving her piggyback rides instead of Hanbin, who highly disapproves of it and makes it known with his stares, he starts going.

Hanbin wants to enjoy the last few minutes along his side peacefully but instead there's his mother. Staring and staring without saying a word. He holds in his sighs and waits for Bobby to grab his wet clothes from his room.

He groans, knowing that he has to explain why  he let a boy inside his room. Bobby doesn't seem to notice the tense atmosphere and it makes him happy. It also makes him happy that he's leaving before Jeongyeon gets there. 

Bobby's putting on his shoes and his mother's trying to fume alone in her bedroom. Hanbin takes the moment to talk to him once more.

"You alright?"

His hands are on Bobby's shoulders without his own permission but Bobby doesn't seem to care and neither does he. His brain can fret about it later. 

"Yeah. Thank you for everything Hanbin. I really mean it."

Bobby's cheeks are warm from laughter and the stupid sweater makes him look incredibly good by now. Hanbin wonders how he progressed to this. 

"It's nothing. Text me when you get home and tell Chanwoo to shut up or I'll make him."

Bobby smiles widely, probably used to Chanwoo jabbing at his heartaches all the time. It feels a bit different this time around, at least to Hanbin. He imagines Bobby's break up routine to be the exact same everytime and he'd never cry like that over a girl. He's too proud of it. 

Hanbin doesn't voice the questions still stuck in his throat.

"Thank you."

Bobby's putting on his jacket with a slight shiver and Hanbin opens the door for him, ready to say goodbye to the nicest night of his life.

It takes him a few seconds to realise that Bobby's leaning in and Hanbin's now certain that all of this has been a dream.

It's innocent though, at least to Bobby. His chapped lips leaving an everlasting mark on the side of his neck. Hanbin wonders if Bobby even cares that kissing each other's necks, even for just a second, isn't friendly at all.

And then he's gone. The smell of him surrounding Hanbin every step of the way back to his room. 

He finds the burning sensation of Bobby's lips on his neck much more real than the marks Nayeon left on him. It takes him days to scrub the feeling of it off. 

 

*

His mother's fuming. Of course she is.

Her words melt together into an obscene slur of profanities. Hanbin doesn't want to hear it again so he blocks her out. Nodding along and looking at the ground. He wants to tell her that Bobby broke up with Jeongyeon but he knows it'll just make it worse

When she's done screaming at him, she locks his bedroom door, telling him he can't get out until Jeongyeon gets there. Hanbins' so used to this that he doesn't even blink an eye.

Hanbyul's weak knocks on the door are the only things that make him want to cry again.

*

Jeongyeon looks as broken as Bobby does, maybe even worse. He wants to ask how it went down, hear her version but not in front of his mother. 

He offers to send her home later and she agrees politely, probably unaware that Hanbin already knows.

"So..Bobby told me what happened."

Jeongyeon's footsteps slow down a bit at that, her eyes still staring at the ground.

"Yeah, I thought so. Did he tell you everything?"

Hanbin thinks of Bobby's tears on his neck and the sonnets he's been writing in his mind the whole day. His stomach churns at this whole situation and for the first time in a while he's kind of missing living near Seoul.

"I think so yeah."

The walk towards her house isn't long but seems to be when he hears her side of it. 

"And Bobby's always just.. always looked at me like im the moon and the stars and whatever but somehow I always felt it wasn't meant for me."

Jeonyeon is pouring her heart out. Hanbin squeezes her hand when her voice cracks and she looks thankful.

"It's so hard to explain. He's been so good with me and so loving but I feel like it was always meant for someone else. That's why I thought of him having another girl."

Hanbin nods along, keeping quiet like he did earlier.

"But then I got over it cause Bobby was just always there, making me feel amazing. But a few weeks ago, it changed. He stopped looking at me at all. Even when we-"

She stops, her cheeks blushing and Hanbin tries to hide how he has to swallow the lump in his throat twice. 

"He just stopped all together which made me feel so bad about myself and then I thought that he had someone new again. Im still not sure if he does or doesn't. Who cares anyway, were over now and I'm better for it."

She tries to smile through the cracks and Hanbin feels sad for all the girls he's done this with. For all the guys like Jinhwan who have waited in the sidelines, their bones rotting and knees shaking. Never hearing Bobby laugh or smile just for them.

"I'm here for you, you know. And I'll try my best to kick him out of my house when you're coming over. He deserves it."

Jeongyeon lets out a small giggle and Hanbin feels like he's always the one to mend broken hearts but there's no one there to fix his own.

*

When he meets Bobby by the gates on Monday, he doesn't even notice anyone else.

Donghyuk's right there, waving at him but Hanbin's so far gone that his mind tunes him out on it's own right.

Bobbys' hand finds his shoulder immediately and Hanbin loves the comfort of it. He tries not to melt into it too much. 

"How're you doing?"

He mumbles it out, the three hours of sleep he got last night already making him wish he didn't even come. Then he looks over at Bobby and that wish is gone as soon as it came.

"Better. I wanted to wear your sweater today but you know the dress code."

Bobby's blushing a bit and Hanbin finds it to be the cutest thing he's ever seen. 

"I'm glad."

Then there's a tap on his shoulder by Junhoe and the others and Hanbin wonders how long they've been standing there staring at the two of them. Figuring it all out.

There's something in Donghyuk's eyes that Hanbin finds too familiar and he hopes to forget it before it can haunt him.

*

When lunch arrives Hanbin's kind of surprised to see Jinhwan again. He knows Jinhwan's already got a good idea of what's going on between him and Bobby and Hanbin would've thought he'd be the type to stay away and take Bobby with him.

Instead he's there, genuine smile on his face and Hanbin just knows it's because Bobby broke up with his girlfriend. 

"Why is he here again? I thought it was a one time thing."

Junhoe's eyeing his salad warily, making ugly gestures with his face towards Jinhwan. 

"If you haven't noticed, then your friend Hanbin here likes me and I'm pretty sure he prefers me over you anytime."

Jinhwan's grabbing his chopsticks and Hanbin wonders why their snark is so familiar and falls right into place.

"Yeah, well everyone else would side by me so you can take your precious Hanbin and shove him up your-"

He makes sure to hit Junhoe right in the eye with his meatball. 

"That wasn't needed!"

There's a low whine and Donghyuk lets out such a loud laugh that Hanbin wonders if everyone inside can hear it.

Bobby's there by his side soon, sitting between him and Jinwhan this time. It seems to please the both of them too much and Hanbin's stomach growls from hunger. Probably.

"So, what happened with Jeongyeon? It's all everyone talks about right now."

Yunhyeong's smoothie is strictly by his side as he keeps his gaze on Bobby. 

"Nothing much. She broke up with me. The end."

Yunhyeong rolls his eyes and pleads him to continue. Bobby's fingers find his thighs again and Hanbin wonders if he'll ever forget the feeling of it.

"You know Bobby, he's going to get right back with someone who looks like her two weeks from now. You'll see."

Junhoe snorts but stares at Jinhwan while he says it. For a fleeting moment Hanbin wonders if he knows about it too. 

"Can ya'll shut up about this? I just broke up with her. Like two days ago and I don't want to talk about it right now."

Jinhwan seems surprised at Bobby's angry tone, probably underestimating the effect it really had on him. 

Hanbin can feel Bobby's eyes land on his when he takes a bite of his meatball. It's not his favorite kind but will do.

He can also see Bobby gulp and it makes him squirmish again, ready to finish lunch and never look back.

"Okay we'll stop but is it okay if I ask her out now?"

Yunhyeong looks completely innocent when he says it and Bobby grabs Hanbin's chopstick from his fingers and starts chasing him around with them, ready to poke out his eyes.

Jinhwan stares towards their running figures, eyes sparkling and when he finally looks over at Hanbin it looks victorious. He's won this time, Jeongyeon out of sight and Bobby all his. 

Hanbin wonders if he's already forgotten about the shower and the bear hugs and all the ways Bobby keeps touching him. He sure hasn't.

When Yunhyeong finally surrenders and apologizes, Bobby runs back to his side, pushing hair  off his sweaty forehead.

Hanbin smiles up at him, the view of Bobby, out of breath but filled with joy, overwhelming him. 

"Do you want these back? Or can I try again?"

He looks at Yunhyeong who lets out a frightened moan. Junhoe laughs loudly and Hanbin can see the longing in Jinhwan's eyes. He really needs to know why Jinhwan's still memorizing his every move. 

When Bobby finally sits down, he takes a meatball off his plate. Hanbin doesn't even flinch but he does stare at him with wide eyes when the chopsticks start to poke his mouth.

"Come on, eat it."

Bobby's gaze flickers from his mouth to his eyes about a hundred times. Hanbin's never been in a situation like this before and he hopes it doesn't come off as inappropriate to the rest of them.

He opens wide, chopsticks sliding in and out and Hanbin's pretty sure he's not supposed to hold Bobby's gaze throughout but he still does. Bobby's fingers are still on his thighs, unconciously moving upwards and Hanbin lets the chopsticks out with a bop. 

There's chatter from Yunhyeong but Hanbin still feels like all eyes are on them. When Bobby finally lets go he averts his attention everywhere else but on him. 
He's flustered and Hanbin smirks to his plate. When he looks up there's Jinhwans' eyes burning the side of his face, the happiness in them replaced by cold arctic winds. 

*

Bobby shows up at his doorstep two weeks later, a huge smile on his face. Hanbin knows his mother's going to come home any minute now but it doesn't matter. Not when he looks as happy as ever, making Hanbin wish he was the one to put that smile on there in the first place. 

It's been a while since they've hung out. Bobby wants to be by his side a lot and Hanbin can see the jealousy form in Jinhwan. That's why he's pretty sure he's the one who's been holding them back from seeing each other.

It's a ridiculous thought but whenever he's texted Bobby, he's always at Jinhwans'. Always busy.

Maybe Hanbin read him wrong. Misunderstood all of it and Bobby's back to fawning over Jinhwan and making him feel like the luckiest guy in the world, with just the barest of touches.

He thinks he's too good at judging character though.

"What makes you so happy?"

Hanbin helps him poke off his shoes, their faces inches apart. He's gotten used to Bobby surrounding him all the time, their breaths mingling without even wanting to.

"I have a date tonight!" 

And that's when Hanbin takes notice of the purple marks on his neck and the swollen curve of his lips. 

Nothing ever changes in this town after all.

 

**********

Im sorry this fics like so slow but I was listening to In My Veins by Andrew Belle and felt the need to be a bit emo and just write them bonding again. I love double b bonding :(( 
Also its super late so i'll go over any mistakes tomorrow! Hanbins not the only one who got three hours of sleep lmao