It's You

Fools

When it hits 10 on their old clock, his mother sits upright and stares at the door.

He's watching Hanbyul's favorite cartoon, the little girl napping on his lap. 

Then a knock. Two. His mothers' hurried steps towards the hallway.

It opens and there's a bubblyness in her voice that Hanbin doesn't even recognize. Then a slight pause and she runs back in.

"Who's the boy?"

Her voice is calm but when Hanbin looks up, she's fuming. 

"What boy?"

"You know what I'm talking about Hanbin. Don't you play with me!"

She grits it out through her teeth and for the first time in a while, Hanbin is truly scared of her. Scared of what she might do to him again. 

Hanbin scrambles up from his seat and hears her before sees her. He can tell it truly is Bobby's girlfriend by her tone and manners. He still hasn't forgotten about the bathroom incident.

And then it clicks. 

*

"Hanbin, could you please introduce me to this boy? You haven't mentioned him at all."

His mother smiles widely at them both. The girl with a small frame and bright smile, hair short and toned the exact same color as Jinhwan's. 

The guy broad but not over the top. Hair naturally dark and eyes naturally sparkling. Adam's apple bobbing along with the words he's about to say. 

"I'm Bobby. From Hanbin's school."

He shakes his mother's hand and Hanbin can see the cracks forming in her smile.

"This is Bobby's girlfriend. Uh.."

She perks up.

"Jeongyeon!"

His mothers' smile falters and then it's back again, in full force. Maybe even sincere. 

"It's nice to meet you both. Come on in!"

She grabs Jeongyeon by the elbow and starts talking to her right away. Hanbin knows she's out to get info about her and Bobby. If it's real or not. If it's going to last. 
Someone clears their throat. Right.

"What are you doing here?"

Hanbin wants it to come out nonchalantly but instead he sounds a bit pissed off. 

Bobby smiles sheepishly.

"Just wanted to see how you two like each other. Introduce my girl formally. And also thought I'd meet that cute little sister of yours."

Hanbin nods, trying to keep his face neutral. 

"Okay but next time please tell me if you're coming over."

He raises his eyebrows in question. Bobby nods.

*

Hanbin makes sure to tiptoe over to Hanbyul and so does Bobby. He takes a mental note to thank him for it later. 

They start whispering, the sound of water being boiled from the kitchen making it hard to hear.

"She's adorable!" 

They're both crouched over her in the living room. The television set being the only lightsource in the room.

"I know."

Hanbin's smiling fondly, caressing her hair and giving her a slight peck on the forehead.

It's a mistake looking over at Bobby. There's something so warm in his eyes that he's got to balance himself on their small couch to not fall over. 

Hanbin's gazing at Hanbyul again, listening intently to his mothers' conversation in the next room. She's too curious for her own good, as usual. 

But something else gets caught between the conversation from the kitchen.

The words take him aback and he almost stumbles. If he weren't this close to Bobby, this attuned to him, he wouldn't have heard it. But he does.

"So are you."

Hanbin looks over at him but Bobby's already standing up, stretching and walking away, giving him a blinding smile and a wink. 

Hanbin lets himself fall on the couch, still careful to not wake Hanbyul up. He's got an overwhelming sensation that this will ruin him for good. He Hanbyul's hair once more and then tries to move, his boneless body not helping at all.

*

"Jeongyeon was just telling me about her dreams of becoming a journalist. What a wonderful girl."

His mother looks at Bobby.

"Great catch, I might add."

Bobby hides his smile in his sleeve and Jeongyeon blushes.

Hanbin feels like puking out the dinner he had earlier.

"Sorry for barging in like that. Just wanted to see Hanbin's sister. He talks about her a lot."

Bobby smiles at his mom and Hanbin supresses the urge to squeeze his shoulder. 

His mother nods, acting like she's interested. Hanbin can tell that she's not. She wants him out of there as soon as possible.

Bobby seems to sense something's off. Hanbin's gotten to know him well enough to tell. 

"Also wanted to send off my pretty lady and tell the man of the house that she's taken."

Bobby looks up at Hanbin, raising his brows and Hanbin forces out a stiff laugh. 

Bobby seems to notice that too.

"Well I guess I should start going."

He glances towards Jeongyeon. She grabs his hand in reassurance and Bobby gets up, giving his mother a slight bow.

"Hanbin, walk your guest to the door!"

His mother adds but Hanbin can tell that she doesn't want him to. He does anyway.

He drags his feet along, awkwardly waiting for Bobby to put his shoes on. 

Suddenly the other leans in, mouth against the shell of his ear and Hanbin thinks he might faint, judging by the way his heart's pounding and his skin's breaking out in a cold sweat.

"Is your mother alright?"

He whispers and Hanbin clenches his fists, Bobby's musky scent hitting him in all the wrong places. 

"Yeah." 

His voice trembles and Hanbin wonders If Bobby can tell. He can still feel warm breath against his neck and if his mother would walk in right now, he'd never see the light of day again. 

It makes his heart beat even faster and he doesn't know if it's because of the thrill of getting caught or Bobby and his earthy smell. Or both. 

"She's just tired."

Bobby leans away, enough so their chests aren't pressing together anymore but not enough that he couldn't see the little beads of sweat forming on his upper lip. 

"I don't believe you. But I won't prod. If you wanna talk, I'm here."

There's chocolate on his breath and he wonders if he went out with Jeongyeon before they got here. The thought makes his stomach churn unpleasantly. 

"I'm telling you the truth."

Bobby's bodyheat is overwhelming and Hanbin really wants to faint right now, so he'd have an excuse to back away from this situation. From Bobby in general. 

He takes a chance and glances at the other's lips. There's a loud giggle from the couch and Hanbin can feel Bobby startle away from him, before he's even had a chance to move.

It's Hanbyul, running towards the both of them, fitting right in the gap that wasn't there before.

"Hanbinnie! Is this Ma-"

He shuts her up with a hand on . Bobby looks at him weirdly before prodding it away. 

"What were you saying, princess?"

She giggles again, already forgetting what she meant to say. Hanbin lets out the breath he knew he was holding. 

"I'm not a princess!"

She protests fiercely and Bobby smiles. 

"Then you're a queen."

He pretends to take something out of his pocket, making Hanbyuls' eyes widen in wonder. It's a heart made out of his fingers and Hanbyul laughs loudly. So loudly that his mother and Jeongyeon are already there. 

Bobby looks like a deer in the headlights before saying sorry with his cutest puppy dog expression. 

Hanbyul's eyes are still sparkling and Hanbin knows that she's already fond of this guy. He is too. 

"Sorry, woke the little one up. I'm gonna go now, for real this time."

He bows again and focuses on Hanbin, only for a second. His eyes have a million questions in them that Hanbin never wants to answer. 

"Talk to you later. And take care of my girl."

He looks at Hanbyul.

"Girls."

She lets out another giggle, running towards their mother. Who isn't pleased.

And then Bobby's walking into the rain, his lean figure fading into it. The rain keeps falling around him and Hanbin snorts at the irony of it all. 

*

Hanbin finds Jeongyeon to be charming and adorable. All the qualities an ideal girl should have. He wonders if that's why Bobby chose her. Cause she's perfect and no one would ever doubt about it. And his choice. 

She also gets along with Hanbyul, who can't stop bugging them all night long and mentioning Bobby everytime she gets a chance.

"Well someone's got a crush."

Jeongyeon laughs and ruffles her hair. Hanbyul runs for cover into Hanbins arms. 

"I'm sorry little one, Bobby's already taken."

Hanbyul acts sad but then laughs, her feet prodding Hanbin a bit painfully in his thigh. 

"It's okay. Jeongyeon is a princess! Bobby has to have one!" 

Hanbin's stomach flutters thinking of princes and princesses and happily ever afters. 

"But who are you then?"

Hanbyul shrugs at her brother.

He mouths 'queen' towards Jeongyeon and she says it outloud. 

Hanbyul runs away, hiding her face in her arms in embarassment and happiness. 

Hanbin thinks he can call the evening a success. Even though it never ends for him, his thoughts running a mile a minute all night long, thinking of the way Bobby's chocolate brown eyes landed on his in question. 

*

It's been a while since Hanbin's talked to Bobby.

He hopes it's because the other's actually realised what a mistake it is to hang out with him. What a waste of time.

Jeongyeon is as sunny as he is and Hanbin can see all the things Bobby might like in her. And all the ways she might remind him of Jinhwan. When she left on Friday and on Saturday, making Hanbin wish for another three days to rest, his mother kept giving him glances that Hanbin didn't want to answer to.

She still has doubts about Bobby and her. He does too.

It's a typical Wednesday and he's already had his lunch. Jinhwan's suddenly there, sitting behind their table. Everyone keeps quiet.

Even Yunhyeong's smoothie is left untouched for once.

"What's up?"

He hears himself ask and Hanbin wonders how come he's not that afraid of talking to him. He knows that Jinhwan might not be the sincerest guy in this school yet he still can't stop himself from being drawn towards him. He's interesting and mysterious and Hanbin wants to solve the puzzle. 

"Nothing. Just wanted to know If were still on for tonight?"

Yunhyeong's back to slurping on his drink, very loudly at that. Junhoe whistles.

"Not what I mean, idiot."

Jinhwan gives him a glare and Junhoe stares at the ground like a kicked puppy. 

"I promised the guys I'd meet them at the library so.."

Hanbin waves his hands around, not knowing what to do with them.

"You can come over after. We gotta start with that play Hanbin, my grades depend on it."

Jinhwan looks at him playfully but there's truth behind it. 

"Okay, sure. I'll just have to call my mom and tell her."

Jinhwan smiles and pats his shoulder. 

"Alright. I'll text you my address. Don't be late!"

And then he's gone just as he came, leaving the others and him a bit dumbfounded.

*

Hanbin wants to know why the principal moved their PE class to be right after lunch. He's bloated and exhausted just by walking to the dressing rooms. 

This time he holds himself together quite well, thanks to Bobby not standing near him with his almost in his face. 

He wonders why Bobby's so quiet lately. He won't admit how much he misses the faint echo of his laughter in the background of their football games and his life.

*

This time he takes his precious time with the shower. Letting the water warm his frostbitten fingers and soothe his aching body. 

He's so tired and it takes him a moment to register the shower going off beside him. And then he hears the slighest of moans in the next stall, knowing exactly whos it is.

After a while, he relaxes again. Shampoo almost getting in his eye when he remembers how Bobby smelled of it.

Then there's a tap on his shoulder and Hanbin jumps. 

There's that laugh again that he's somehow gotten to miss and Hanbin wants nothing more than to run right out of there again.

"Sorry but do you have shampoo?"

Bobby looks at him sheepishly, the expression not suiting his muscly body, that's casually standing right in front of him. And this time Hanbin's struggling to keep his gaze away from the inevitable.

"Uh, yeah sure."

He chokes it out, voice a bit too high pitched to be normal. He thinks Bobby doesn't catch it cause when he looks over at him, the other lifts his gaze up from an area Hanbin knows is unlimited to anybody but himself.

He gulps, handing the bottle over with shaky hands. He takes pride in the fact that he didn't drop it in the first place. 

Bobby's gaze lingers a bit too long on Hanbins' hardened s and then he's gone. Whistling some innocent tune and washing his stupidly handsome self with Hanbin's shampoo. Again. 


*

Hanbin finds some willpower left in his body to finish washing. Maybe it's because he's grown as a person. Or maybe it's because something else has grown in the last few minutes that he really doesn't want anyone to see.

He takes his time changing, trying to think of the cold rain and his mother's cold stare. But then he keeps flashing back to the warmth of a certain body. And that body walking away from his doorstep in the rain and the deep rumble of his voice vibrating into Hanbin's ear. 

He gulps and waits for everyone to leave, not answering Donghyuk when the other hurries him along. He needs a moment.

But the moment doesn't last. His brain too hazy to notice a figure walking out of the showers, towel still wrapped around their waist.

Of course. 

*

"What are you still doing here?"

Hanbin shrugs his shoulders trying to look away from Bobbys incredibly wet body. 

"Just needed a moment."

It's the first time he's said something along the lines of the truth and Hanbin wonders where his courage came from. 

He senses the other walking closer and Hanbin instinctively leans his back against the lockers.

"Look, sorry that I haven't really hung out with you. Jeongyeon and I have been fighting a lot recently and I tried to do something nice for her so, you know."

Hanbin looks up and reminds himself to google that heart attack thing again. Bobby's too close, the lines of his hips right in Hanbin's face and he can see the towel slowly starting to sag. 

He averts his gaze, trying to form a coherent answer.

"It's okay. I've been busy too so.."

Bobby chuckles but Hanbin can only hear it. He won't look up. 

"Right. With all the tail you're getting.. I imagine you're booked for March."

Hanbin laughs but it's more out of the uncomfortness in his chest. He's heaving and there's nothing to hide it behind. 

"I do have a social life, you know."

Bobby snorts but doesn't answer. 

He hopes that Bobby's gonna move or at least raise his towel. Instead the other stands still, letting it fall lower and lower until Hanbin, who makes a momentary mistake, sees a bit of pubic hair flashing before his eyes.

He chokes on his own breath. 

"You okay?"

And now he's lunging down, squatting before him, his towel seconds away from falling. 

Hanbin feels like fainting. Especially when he glances up into the others' worried eyes. He avoids doing that again like his life depends on it.

"Yeah, am fine. You can give me my shampoo and I'll get going. Gotta catch up with the guys and Jinhwan wanted-"

Bobby's hands are on his thighs and Hanbin thanks the lord that he's got his jeans on already. He takes the thanks back when he feels something twitch in his trousers. Oh god. 

Bobby looks at him in surprise. 

"Jinhwan?" 

"Yeah, were doing this thing in literature. Long story short, I'll be seeing him a lot from now on."

Hanbin smiles, the feeling too foreign. He tries to get up but Bobby's hands are stuck on his thighs. Unmoving. He holds in a sigh. 

"Oh cool! Too bad I'm gonna go to the movies tonight. Otherwise I'd crash your little party and make you see what a douche Jinhwan really is."

He smiles brightly but there's also fondness behind it and Hanbin feels like he's about to a) pass out or b) puke. 

"I bet that'd be fun."

When he finally dares to look in his eyes again, he can see the other's sweep over his lips for just a nanosecond. Getting caught is something Bobby hasn't seemed to be uncomfortable with until now. He gets up, swiftly holding onto his towel. Hanbin can still see something flashing underneath it and it makes him too curious for his own good. 

"Your shampoo.. I'll go get it."

Hanbin sees him disappear into the steam and he doesn't think twice before running the hell away from there. He can have the shampoo, at this point he doesn't even care anymore.

*

The next few hours go by horribly slowly. All he wants is to go home and take care of his business. Yet he still has to meet the guys and Jinhwan. 

It gets a little better when he sees Junhoe in the library, trying to stab Yunhyeong quietly with his pencil. At least some things never change.

"Where the heck have you been?"

Donghyuk's already busy with his notes but gives him a glare anyway.

"Got caught up with calling my mom. You know how it is."

He stiffles a yawn. 

"Actually no, I don't. Why don't you introduce us to your family?"

Donghyuk's taking off his glasses now and Hanbin wonders how long he's wanted to ask this.

"Umm.."

Even Junhoe and Yunhyeong stop arguing to look at him and Hanbin feels himself squirm, the stupid habit now an integral part of him.

"I'd gotta talk to her about it. She's not very sociable."

Donghyuk nods and Hanbin thinks he's passed the test with flying colors. He's wrong.

"So I heard Bobby's girlfriend is tutoring you now. What happened to finding a professional?"

Hanbin's never heard Donghyuk use this tone before and he's regretting not getting to know them well enough before starting this friendship. But he also can't imagine his life without them anymore. It's kinda scary. How little you can know about someone but still fall for them completely. But that's another conversation he's avoiding having with himself. 

"I didn't know we had money problems so I thought she wouldn't take anyone that wasn't a professional. Sorry about that."

He surprises himself with how easy it is to lie now. How it's become like second nature to him. 

Yunhyeong and Junhoe have averted their attention. Hanbin feels like a kid in trouble again.

"Hmm, well Jeongyeon said that the ad was only for females. What about that, huh?"

He's chewing on the end of his glasses, looking innocent but malicious all at once.

Hanbin wants to run out of there, needing this day to end as soon as possible.

"That I didn't know about. I swear!"

He almost yells it until he remembers their location. Donghyuk looks unimpressed.

"Okay then. But just know that I wanted to be friends with you cause you seemed honest Hanbin. Someone who doesn't have a lot of people to confide in and I wanted to make you feel safe. I'm sad that my friendship isn't to you what it is to me."

He looks away, sighing deeply and Hanbin's had enough of the dramatics. He thinks of what to say and glances towards the others. Both look a bit apologetic but not enough to give him a helping hand.

"I swear on my mothers' life that I didn't know about it. And honestly, I don't know why you guys wanna be friends with me either. Well I guess I do now but still.. I'm sorry I let you down."

He squeezes Donghyuk's shoulder in a tentative manner and the other relaxes under his touch.

His glasses are on the table now, hidden underneath some of his many notebooks, when he looks at him.

"Hanbin, we care about you. We want to be your friends and I apologize for all of us if we offended your feelings right now. That wasn't the intention."

Hanbin smiles, feeling fond all over again. 

"Thanks. And I promise to bring you around one day. Let you guys see a bit more of me."

They almost hug before Junhoe makes a cooing sound and Yunhyeong adds that it was 'purely Donghyuk's idea and they don't need to be blamed for it'. 

Junhoe smacks him on the head and everything continues as normal. Except Hanbin's facade is starting to crack and he knows the consequences for it.

*

Jinhwan's house is actually the same size as his but feels a lot more like home. 

It's messy but inviting. He likes the smell of spices in the air and the sound of his many brothers and sisters running around the hallways.

"I had no idea your family is this big."

Jinhwan hands him a glass of water before  they enter the almost serenly quiet living room.

"Yeah. Mom made three of them before my dad came along. Gross, I know."

Hanbin laughs feeling at ease, even though he's there for the first time.

"By the way, it gets a lot quieter in about half an hour. Dad comes back from work and forces them to bed."

Hanbin nods, not minding the loud chatter and laughter. It makes him feel alive for once.

"What about your parents?"

Jinhwan gags. 

"They spend their time on the 'third floor' which is cue for attic and cue for us to not enter cause they're doing the nasty."

Hanbin bursts out laughing and Jinhwan follows, both of them relaxed in each others' company. 

"That's why you're probably a night owl. Am I right?"

Jinhwan's grabbing his notebooks, nodding. 

Hanbin feels like talking. Scattering his stuff on the floor and just letting the words burst out of him. It's been so long since he's wanted to speak. Not counting Bobby whom he just can't talk to. And it takes him by surprise.

*

They're halfway through the book, both arguing over what the main character strives for. Hanbin can guess it's late but he's still shocked to see it's almost midnight.

Jinhwan's stuffing his face with popcorn, that he hides best from the kids, when the doorbell rings.

They look at each other questioningly and then Jinhwan's face lights up with a big smile, giving Hanbin a thumbs up.

He hears someone shaking themselves out like a wet dog and Hanbin's already sure of who it is. 

Then they both laugh and he's right. It's Bobby. Again.

Jinhwan's hand is on the small of his back when they enter and Bobby stumbles backwards, grabbing for his bag. Jinhwan gestures that Bobby's gone crazy and Hanbin smirks.

The other grabs what's needed and plops down right next to him. 

"Thought you'd miss it."

He smiles widely, the TV illuminating his features and making Hanbin's breath catch in his throat. He hands him the bottle and Hanbin stares at it and the way Bobby's thumb slightly caresses his. 

He reads the fading words 'apple & cinnamon' before smelling it on him and then Jinhwan's clearing his throat. 

They both look up at that, torn away from each others' eyes. 

He sits there, staring at Jinhwan and the way his face morphs into something similar to a smile. It clicks and Hanbin's never been so sure about something in his entire life. 

Jinhwan's in love with Bobby. And he's in love with Bobby too. 

 

*******

Slay me.. this chapters so long this fics sooooo long and im not even halfway there yet. Stay with me guys! It'll get a lot angstier but better too, promise! <3