American Beauty

Fools

Hanbin's weekends always go the same.

He wakes up at noon, eats breakfast and babysits Hanbyul as his mother goes to the market outside town. 

He then spends the rest of the evening on his computer, listening to rap beats and slow ballads. 

Until his mother decides to change his boring, but effective, routine on his first weekend home from school.

"I'm getting you a tutor."

Hanbin mutes the TV.

"What? Why?"

She doesn't even glance at him, typing something on her computer.

"Cause you said yourself. Your physics teacher doesn't like you and you're already weak in the subject. We can't let your grades fall." 

She hums for a second before pressing enter with full force.

"It's done."

Hanbin's pretty sure his mouth is wide open in surprise. He can't seem to close it.

"What's done?"

She sighs. 

"The ad. I hope we get someone for cheap. We haven't got a lot to spend this month."

She gets up and Hanbin quickly follows her footsteps. 

"I honestly don't need one mom. I'm doing fine. Can we wait until I'll actually start failing to post the ad?"

She shakes her head, grabbing her purse. She tells him about how she needs to get a manicure before her cuticles grow longer than her nails. And then she's gone. Just like that.

Hanbin checks out the ad on the still open laptop screen. It says women only. He closes the screen with a thump.

*

Monday is uneventful until he decides to feel comfortable enough to tell the guys about the ad.

The sun is out for once and this time almost everyone is sitting outside. Even on the wet grass.

Hanbin closes his eyes and stares towards the sky as he speaks.

"So, what's wrong with it?"

There's a distinctive sound of someone slurping and he just knows it's Yunhyeong. 

Hanbin pokes an eye open.

"I don't need a tutor. That's what's wrong."

Donghyuk's patting his shoulder in solidarity. 

"Well obviously she thinks you do. Just put up with it. Maybe you'll get some.."

Yunhyeong throws a straw at him so he'd look his way. 

".. extra work out of it too. If you know what I mean."

He wiggles his eyebrows as Junhoe gags at what he calls 'the worst joke of the century'.

Hanbin feels a laugh bubbling out of him and it surprises him. But not as much as Donghyuk.

"Maybe I can tutor you? You can tell your mom I'm like, super great at math and all that stuff."

He's smiling sincerely and Hanbin wants to tell him he's too good for this world. Instead he gets distracted by Junhoe yelling at Yunhyeong, who's muttering something like 'well at least it's better than your pick up lines' under his breath.

Donghyuk clears his throat, waiting for an answer.

"Uh, no sorry. Mom wants a professional."

He knows this lie won't last long. But it'll do for now. 

Donghyuk looks at him for a bit too long before nodding. They then proceed to coerce Junhoe to let Yunhyeong go from his hold.

*

Hanbin gets detention in physics. Again. For the whole week.

This time it's because separating Junhoe and Yunhyeong turned out to be harder than expected. So he's stuck being yelled at by their teacher and reminded why he absolutely should hold grudges against people.

When he calls his mother later, to warn her about being home very late, all he hears is a deep sigh and a promise he'll behave. Hanbin feels like he's being burned every time she says it. The word scorched on him like he's cattle.

All he needs to do is behave.

*

Hanbin truly, insanely hates his new friends. He wants to yell at all three of them. Tell Yunhyeong he's too childish. Tell Junhoe he needs to learn how to take a joke. Tell Donghyuk he's made some bad choices in his life. And by choices he means those two idiots.

Because right now, he's about to live his worst nightmare.

The sun is still up. For at least another hour or so and Hanbin's stuck sitting in the classroom.

He could be playing with Hanbyul in their tiny backyard, or video games on his computer, letting the sun graze his skin through the thin curtains. 

But no, he's stuck in this classroom. And he's not alone. 

*

His lovely physics teacher strut in about halfway through the first five minutes (Hanbin's pretty sure he's gonna be sitting here for an hour and a half, maybe even two) bringing with him the guy he really didn't need to or want to see.

"Hanbin this is Bobby. Bobby this is Hanbin."

He can hear his own breath hitch and Hanbin hates himself for it. 

Bobby smiles at him like a fool. An idiot.

He doesn't even know the guy but he's already pretty sure Bobby's gonna spend the next hour and a half, or two, telling him his life stories. Being inquired about his own. He stifles a groan.

The teacher gives them an assignment and tells him he'll check up on them. Hanbin guesses he's going to sleep in the teacher's room and forget they even exist. He at least hopes so.

Bobby's still standing there, hands lazily hanging out of his pockets.

He eyes Hanbin with curiosity and Hanbin thanks god that people can't read minds. Or all he'd hear would be his own moans. Hanbin squirms in his seat.

"Do I know you?"

The question cuts through the unruly silence.

"Uh, I don't think so."

Hanbin doesn't look at him. At least he tries not to.

"Well, It's nice to meet you."

Bobby jumps on one of the desks and smiles his now familiar, Hanbin would call it a trademark, 100 watt smile.

He's kind of scared how much he's picked up on him already.

"Yeah, same here."

*

Bobby keeps sitting on the desk, chewing his gum loudly and staring at Hanbin.

He doesn't look up but he's sure Bobby's staring. Trying to figure him out. 

Hanbin wants to run out of there but knows better than to get himself another week of detention.

"So, when'd you come here?"

Hanbin takes his chances and looks up. It's a huge mistake.

Bobby's got this wide smile on his face, his lashes fluttering softly when his eyes accidentally get caught looking at the sun. Hanbin feels something else flutter as well but he forces it down as best as he can. 

"About a week ago actually."

His voice is thick and Hanbin's not sure if Bobby can tell it's different or not. He hopes he can't. Yet.

"That makes sense. My lil bro was sick this week so I had to take a few days off."

Hanbin didn't need to know that. He also didn't need to hear Bobby moan on his second day of school but what can you do. Life's not perfect.

"How old's your brother?"

He hears himself ask and holds in a groan. He didn't mean to keep talking. 

"Sixteen."

Bobby's laughing and Hanbin feels himself smirk a little. This time he manages to stiffle the laugh that seems to start bubbling out of him any second. He can't let Bobby know how he affects Hanbin already.

"You had to babysit your 16 year old brother? That's gotta be tough."

Hanbin can't help but answer ironically. He's gonna stop talking any minute now. At least that's what he promises to himself.

Bobby throws his head back, laughing wildly. 

Hanbin's eyes keep circling back to the way his Adam's apple bobs along with it. He decides to stare at his sneakers then, a safe choice as usual. 

"You got any siblings?"

Hanbin looks out the window. The sun is still shining brightly and he thinks of how Hanbyul's playing by herself. He sighs wondering if Bobby deserves to know about her.

"Uh, yeah."

Hanbin can feel his lungs constrict when Bobby jumps down from his seat and crowds into him.

"Well show me a picture! I don't have any of my bro, he's kind of an ."

His mind's racing with the proximity of their bodies. With thoughts of blonde hair and soft fingers on his thighs. 

He jumps up, surprising himself and Bobby.

"Uh-"

His palms are sweating and he thinks Bobby can hear his stammering heartbeat. Hanbin swallows the lump in his throat and breathes. 

"I can't. I don't have any."

The air is crispy fresh, even in the dirty classroom, and though it's hard to breathe, Hanbin can't stop drinking it in. He stares at the sun as Bobby keeps staring at him.

"She's shy."

The other quirks an eyebrow but doesn't say a thing. Hanbin sits down again trying to forget the way the sun reflected on Bobby's face. Hanbin thinks saw freckles.

"Where you from?"

Bobby doesn't seem to care about his weird behaviour. His fingers find a piece of gum from the depths of those pockets and one is handed to Hanbin. He doesn't dare to say no.

"Uh, lived near Seoul for a while and then moved here during summer."

He wants to shut himself up. He's already shared too much but his stupid mouth keeps blabbering.

"What about you?" 

Bobby smiles and his eyes sparkle with excitement. Hanbin wants to retch out the ball of nerves in his stomach but sits still. 

Bobby spends the rest of the afternoon telling him about America. Hanbin wonders if everyone in the States is this welcoming. This handsome. 

He remembers blonde hair and dark eyes. He thinks he's right. 

*

When the sun is setting and his eyes drooping, the teacher enters.

Bobby's been quiet for a while now. Hanbin knows almost everything there is to know about him.

Well everything Bobby'd tell a stranger. Hanbin doubts he'd share his deepest darkest secrets with a guy he just met. He may be wrong though. 

Hanbin's learned that the physics teacher hold's a grudge against him. That he's spent more time in detention than in class and that Bobby really really loves his brother, Chanwoo, and Jinhwan.

Bobby can't stop talking about Jinhwan and Hanbin wonders if there's more to them than meets the eye.

He doesn't ask. 

"I see you've done nothing."

The teacher looks at Bobby disapprovingly.

"As usual."

Bobby snickers a bit, looking expectantly at Hanbin. He probably didn't notice him doing his homework during his long speech about America. 

The teacher eyes his papers and then him. Hanbin's sure he can tell why his cheeks are so warm. 

"You're a strange kid Hanbin. Stop skipping class and I might just start liking you again."

Hanbin thinks he's gonna ruffle his hair but thankfully he doesn't. He holds in a sigh.

"I guess you're done for today. Go and enjoy the weather!"

They all look outside. It's raining again. 

"Well, I guess you can enjoy it tomorrow."

Hanbin smiles bitterly. He takes his time grabbing his stuff and doesn't notice Bobby leaving until he speaks up.

"I hope to see you around."

Hanbin's mind offers a lot of answers. He doesn't say any of them.

*

Donghyuk's waiting for him in the parking lot and Hanbin's not even trying to hold in his surprise.

"Damn, you look pale as hell. Did everything go alright?"

Donghyuk's smile is still warm even though it's getting colder by the minute. He's probably spent countless hours in the library but he doesn't look tired at all. Hanbin's a little jealous.

"I'm good. Detention was as fun as ever."

Donghyuk laughs and they walk side by side, talking about exams and how Donghyuk suspects he was seconds away from getting pneumonia that day on the field.

Hanbin spots Bobby by the park, holding hands with a petite girl. 

He gets caught staring by both Donghyuk and Bobby. 

Donghyuk keeps talking about how Bobby and his new girl are annoying as hell as Hanbin tries his best to ignore the latter's stare boring through his back. He shivers but not from the cold. 

*

When he gets home, he's greeted by lukewarm dinner and a sleeping Hanbyul.

Hanbin decides to skip everything except for sleep. His head is dizzy from the amount of fresh air he's gotten throughout the day. He thinks he might have fresh air poisoning. If that's even a thing. 

Before he's able to fall asleep, his mother bursts in the room.

"We got you a tutor!"

She's smiling and almost bouncing on her feet. Hanbin's surprised at how much emotion she's showing. Good emotion. 

It's been a while.

"Already?"

She nods enthusiastically.

"Yes! She's a student at your school but with great grades! You'll love her!"

Hanbin can hear the hidden message behind it. He wants to scream that he never will. Instead he smiles.

"I hope so." 

Her eyes look tired but not doubting. 

"I believe in you. You'll behave, I know you will."

She blows him a kiss, wishing him sweet dreams.

And Hanbin doesn't tell anyone that his sweet dreams are all about dark hair and invisible freckles. 

Not even himself.

 

**************

I hope yall like it! I wanted this chapter to be longer but I also couldn't wait to post it so.. yeah.

From now on Hanbin's gonna have a tough time not seeing Bobby so let's just say he's screwed.