Both Sides Are Even

Fools


Hanbin's greeted in the morning by his mothers' gleeful smile. He hasn't seen her like that in a while. He wants to enjoy the joyful atmosphere in the air but instead thinks of how disappointed she'll be when the inevitable happens. 

He gulps down his juice and goes to braid Hanbyuls hair before leaving. He swears to her that he'll try and make it home earlier tonight.

She smiles brightly and tells him he's her favorite person in the world. Hanbin hugs her so tightly that he's scared that she'll break.

*

Junhoe greets him by the gates and tells him how he's got a date tonight. Hanbin congratulates him and when asked about his own dating life, he keeps his mouth shut. 

Thankfully Junhoe doesn't seem to notice, because Yunhyeong's running towards them, screaming that they're gonna be late for PE.

Hanbin groans and stares up at the sky. It's cloudy and it'll definitely rain. 

They all groan when he mentions it.

*

"What took you guys so long?"

Donghyuk's already shirtless and Hanbin wants to bury himself alive. 

He skipped PE last week, to mentally prepare himself for this week. He forgot to.

"Junhoe was gushing about his date. Blame him."

Yunhyeong snickers and Junhoe throws his towel at him. 

Hanbin decides it's best to stare at the ground and change as quickly as possible. 

It turns out to be harder than he thought.

"Hey you!"

There's bustling and Hanbin's too busy trying to keep breathing. The yelling goes over his head.

"Hey! New kid!" 

Hanbin takes off his socks and thinks of the cold rain and wet grass. He's startled out of his thoughts by a warm hand on his shoulder. 

Hanbin looks up from his seat and immediately wants to die. 

"Are you deaf or something?"

There stands Bobby. In all his glory. Well except for the very very thin boxershorts he's wearing but that doesn't count as clothing to Hanbin. Shouldn't count as clothing to anybody. 

He swallows hard and tries to force a smile on his face. Bobby quirks a brow and Hanbin guesses it didn't work.

"Sorry, I was just busy uhh...thinking."

He takes notice of the guys staring at him and slumps down even further. His bare chest is a deep shade of pink by now and Hanbin really wants to cover up.

Especially when he sees Bobby's stare linger at it for a bit too long. 

"Well, I just wanna know if I'll be seeing you in detention today?"

Bobby's smiling now and Hanbin wants to yell at him to leave him alone but nods instead. He wonders what kind of sins he must have commiten in his past life to deserve this.

"M'glad. I'll try not to bore you with my childhood stories again." 

Hanbin succeeds at smiling this time. Until Bobby casually pats his shoulder, making his skin break out in goosebumps. 

Thankfully he goes away then, not giving him a second glance. Hanbin takes in a deep breath. The air is crisp until he sees Jinhwan staring at him from the same corner Bobby left towards. 

Hanbin's pretty sure that the stare is not a friendly one. 

*

"You didn't tell me you were in detention with Bobby."

Donghyuk looks curious now and Hanbin's too tired to speak.

"Yeah, I didn't think it was worth mentioning."

Donghyuk passes the ball towards him and Hanbin almost stumbles. He's never been good at sports but not particularly bad either. He guesses it's to blame on his knees still shaking underneath him and his body vibrating from the sound of Bobby's laughter coming from the other end of the field.

"Well, do you like him?"

Hanbin stares at Jinhwan and Bobby wrestling on the field, the other guys laughing around them. 

"I don't know. He's nice but too.." 

Hanbin stares at the guys again, anger making his insides flutter. It must be anger. 

"..overbearing. I'm not used to people like that."

Hanbin shrugs his shoulders at Donghyuk's next response. 

"He'll get under your skin. Trust me."

Donghyuk smiles as the coach whistles and Hanbin wonders how long Bobby's been living underneath Jinhwan's.

*
When class ends all Hanbin wants to do is get dressed and leave. Except he has to shower. The last thing he needs right now is for someone to start a rumor that he's got bad hygene. 

So he makes his way quickly towards a back stall, that seems more private, making himself comfortable.

Hanbin's great at tuning out other people. He's done it for a lifetime and he can do it now.

But of course Bobby's there to ruin his peace. Stepping into the stall next to him and quietly when the warm spray of water hits him.

Hanbin stumbles backwards a bit, unaware of how his own water's turned cold. 

His knees start shaking again and Hanbin wonders if they'll ever stop.

*

Everything goes great. Hanbin lathers himself in shower gel and quickly shampoos his hair.

He's almost done trying to block out Bobby, and washing,  when the other clears his throat loudly.

Hanbin's in the middle of rinsing out the apple & cinnamon shampoo he loves. He almost chokes on it. Even thought it might smell good, it's not meant to be eaten. He knows by experience.

Bobby's standing mere inches away from him. Water still running down his toned body. body, Hanbin's mind doesn't forget to add. 

"Umm, Uhh-"

Hanbin's eyes wander down, towards the small hairs on his navel that look like they'd tickle his face deliciously if he'd  -

"Sorry but do you have any shampoo?"

Hanbin's not sure how long he's been gaping at him. He shuts his mouth and stares at the ground instead, nodding furiously. 

In the middle of reaching for the bottle, Hanbin realises that he's too. Wearing nothing but his favorite shampoo and a deep blush that's probably embracing his toes by now. 

He wills down the panic rising in his gut, something else as well, and hands the bottle over. His hands are shaking when Bobby takes it and Hanbin doesn't dare to look at him. 

He leaves the bits of shampoo drying in his hair, opting to run out of there as soon as possible. 

While drying himself up he tries not to think too hard about the fact that Bobby's gonna smell like him when he gets out that shower. When he meets him later in detention. When he's hanging out with Jinhwan.

Hanbin's not sure what that information does to him, or his body, anymore. 

*

"What's up your ?"

It's lunch and Hanbin's body and mind have been buzzing throughout the day. His legs keep shaking and his eyes can't stop wandering around, looking for a certain someone. 

He wants to slap himself hard. Hard enough so the weird feeling in his gut would leave him alone. 

He knows this feeling. He's been through this feeling and all it brought him was, is , constant rain. 

He jerks out of his thoughts when Yunghyeong smacks him on the shoulder.

"Uh, what?"

Hanbin stops bouncing his leg and there's a small collective sigh.

"Junhoe asked what's been up your today. I honestly don't wanna know."

Yunghyeong raises his hands as the guys laugh. Except for Hanbin.

"Something really is up your , huh?"

Donghyuk looks worried and the laughter stops. Hanbin tries to muster up a smile.

"I'm good." 

Everyone's shooting daggers towards him with their eyes, so he thinks it's best to continue.

"It's just that I think I hurt my leg playing soccer so.."

Hanbin trails off, hoping that it's a good enough answer for them. Donghyuk looks at him, his eyes searching his face for something and then he relaxes. Must have gotten the answer he needed.

Everything seems to settle back down then, lunch continuing on as normal. 

Hanbin ignores Junhoe's inquiring stares as they leave to class.

*

Hanbin's a nervous wreck by the time detention starts. He wonders if he could just run for it. He'd get suspended probably. That wouldn't bother him. Or another month of detention. That would.

He stops in front of the classroom door, contemplating if he really should run. And then his galloping heartbeat slows down enough for him to relax, hand pushing the doorknob until it opens and welcomes him to a gloomy looking teacher and someone so warm and bright that Hanbin has to wonder if it's not the sun itself.

He chose the classroom and he doesn't stop to think why. 

*

Hanbin stumbles towards his desk, legs still wobbly underneath him. He stops to think if he should actually go and let himself be checked out. This can't be normal.

He can't think too hard about it cause Bobby's patting on a spot next to him, now sitting on a chair instead of a desk, and Hanbin wants to backtrack again. His feet keep him put though, making him move towards the older with an awkward smile on his face. 

"Finally you made it."

Bobby bumps his shoulder like they're old acquaintances. Hanbin wants to know why he thinks so highly of him. 

"Yeah," he turns to their teacher "Sorry I'm late. Got caught up in my homework."

The other doesn't respond, writing an assignment on the board instead and leaving just as quietly as he probably came.

"What's wrong with him?"

Hanbin can't help but talk to Bobby. He hates how inviting he can be. 

"Don't know. Came here all grumpy and didn't say . I didn't ask either. Don't want another week of detention, do I."

Bobby says it as a statement but his face looks like it's a question. Hanbin doesn't give him an answer.

"Well, let's get to it then."

He's hyperaware of how close their bodies are and it's distracting him to the max. Especially since he's got first hand knowledge of how Bobby's looks underneath those clothes. 

Bobby bends backwards, trying to grab his bag. Hanbin's caught off guard and his eyes wander over his chest.

The black t-shirt that he's wearing  hugs him tightly, the firm planes of his torso visible underneath it. Hanbin takes a deep breath when it rides up, just the tiniest bit, and reveals that same patch of hair he'd noticed earlier. 

His heart is racing in his chest when Bobby looks back up, with a bottle in his hands. Hanbin can feel his cheeks bloom in pink. He wishes for the ground to swallow him whole.

Bobby just smiles, putting the bottle on the table. It's his shampoo.

"Thanks for this."

His smile is wide and genuine, over a freaking shampoo bottle, and Hanbin's not sure if Bobby's pretending to be the purest person on Earth of if he just is.

"It's nothing."

He waves his hand, words coming out incoherent. 

"Why'd you use womens shampoo though? I know it smells good but,"

Hanbin's head jerks up in surprise as Bobby continues.

"It's for women. Though my girlfriend would dig the out of this."

Hanbin's raking his mind for an answer when Bobby suddenly leans forward.

"I mean smell this !" 

His hair is now inches away from Hanbin's face and Hanbin's just all in all overwhelmed. He remembers his mothers' words and stays still.

"Come on, smell it!" 

Bobby pushes his head forward and moves it from side to side until his soft hair tickles him. Hanbin's never been in a situation this weird before.

He takes a sniff, making sure that it can be heard.

Bobby leans away immediately. 

"Isn't it great?" 

"Um yeah, I know. I use it all the time."

Bobby does this weird thing with his brows and scrunches up his nose, looking like a confused bunny and 1, 2, 3 , 4.. 

"Oh ! Right, sorry. I get a bit too carried away with my thoughts sometimes." 

Hanbin hears himself blurt it out before he can help himself.

"Do you have ADHD or something?"

Bobby laughs again, something that seems so natural to him and so so foreign to Hanbin.

"No. My mom actually thought I did when I was a kid but the tests said I was good to go. I'm like this a lot at school."

Hanbin sighs inwardly, thankful that Bobby didn't take offence.

"It's kind of like.."

He scrunches up his nose again, this time in thought and Hanbin would give away everything to stop memorizing Bobby's every move.

"..an act you know? I just emphasize my good side and say what's on my mind. It's easier to joke around all the time than to be serious around here. People are awfully nosy in this school but if you're like me, they stop asking questions."

Hanbin's puzzled by how much Bobby's telling him. It's almost like a confessional that they never intended to have. Well at least he didn't.

"So you're pretty much telling me you're not actually this optimistic?"

Bobby shrugs his shoulders.

"I think you should let others see the real you for once. It'd be nice."

Hanbin tries smiling but Bobby's not even looking at him. He's glaring out the window, towards their empty football field.

"I haven't gone through all this trouble to come out of it without anyone by my side, Hanbin. People like me like this, they like me when I have my 'sulky' moments too but only if they happen rarely. And I'm okay with that."

Hanbin's taken aback by the fact that Bobby remembers his name. He thought he'd forgotten. And by the fact that this is the second time they've talked and Bobby's already confessing him things, he's pretty sure only Jinhwan and his brother know. Hanbin's doesn't know how to deal with that.

"Anyway, I don't want this to become some sort of a sadfest, so tell me, why'd you use women's shampoo?"

And just like that, Bobby's back to being himself, or the Bobby everyone thinks he is. 

Hanbin thought the only one in this school he had yet to figure out was Jinhwan. He guesses he's wrong.

*

They're almost done with detention and Hanbin's kind of hating how he gushed about Hanbyul for at least half an hour.

But he had to tell him how the shampoo was her's and then the questions came and Hanbin was actually happy to answer them.

He's sure that even the guys don't know this much about his family. The thought freaks him out. 

"So, is this your last detention?"

He brings it up after a moment of silence. It was comfortable. Hanbin wants to know why everything surrounding Bobby is so familiar and falls right into place. He's yet to figure this out.

Bobby looks out the window and yawns. 

"Nah, got a whole week ahead. Like, in extension to this one."

Hanbin pats his back in comfort and doesn't even take notice of how his fingers keep lingering there. Until Bobby clears his throat and it vibrates through him. Starting from his fingertips and ending in his toes. He removes his hand. 

"I hope I get back in his good books." 

Bobby's half slumped on the desk, his hair falling softly onto his arm, nodding. He looks tired now and Hanbin wonders if he's tired cause it's late or because he's had to keep holding onto this certain way of being 'Bobby', that he told him about.

Hanbin squirms in his seat, something he's done a lot over the past two hours.

"And I hope you do too."

He adds casually, before silence envelopes them again.

Bobby keeps staring at him quietly and Hanbin's staring back, noticing how their thighs are touching and how warm Bobby's presence makes him feel. 

He thinks of his mothers words again. Of blonde hair and curveless bodies.

His eyes wander over Bobby's perfectly sculpted face. And they keep landing on his lips. 

He thinks he sees a few freckles again, left over from yesterday's sunlight.

Hanbin wonders how long it would take for the word 'behave' to fade from his body, if he acted upon his thoughts right now.

How long it would take to put himself back together, after Bobby would kick the out of him and his heart, for daring to be different. 

*

They sit there, staring at each other, for what seems like an eternity. It's getting harder to breathe since every time he does so, he's greeted by the scent of his own shampoo, coming off of Bobby in waves. There's a hint of musk behind it too and Hanbin's sure it's his own scent. He want's to forget about ever smelling it. 

It's a silent conversation that neither of them want to start nor end. 

Hanbin can feel tentative fingers on his thigh and his breath hitches. He doesn't want to look. Scared that it's just a distant memory of someone who was far too lean and too tall, too blonde and too foreign. 

Of someone who wasn't Bobby.

The clock keeps ticking and he knows that this moment will end soon. Hanbin savors the feeling of fingertips ghosting over his hips, hovering over his skin in deep hesitation, and the image of chocolate brown eyes twinkling with something he'll probably never be able to read.

And then the teacher enters. The fingertips that were barely there are now miles away. 

Hanbin wonders what just happened there.

He keeps wondering all the way back home. And all the way into the morning. 

 

***************

Idk how I feel about this chapter? I wrote the classroom scenes late at night and I liked them then but now im like?? Not sure at all.
I hope that convo didn't seem too 'fake' deep for you. Honestly tell me what you think guys!