Ready to Be Called On

Fools

The next day he wakes up thinking it was all a dream.

The way Bobby confided in him, the way he looked at him and most of all the way his fingertips barely touched his thigh, but still did.

He's pretty sure his mother can tell right away that something's different. That he hasn't behaved and that there are fingerprints burned onto his outer thigh, from where Bobby grazed him.

She seems normal though. Packing him some steamed cabbage rolls for lunch and talking about the tutor.

Right. 

"She's gonna be here by 10 on Friday. So please don't be late."

Hanbin nods, chugging down his milk.

"Also, have you made any friends yet?"

Her tone is normal but there's an underlying threat there that Hanbin can hear loud and clear.

He feels the color drain from his face.

"Uh, yeah. We wen't to the football game together, remember?"

She glances at him and Hanbin's eyes dart down as fast as possible.

"I don't approve of this you know. You were fine being alone in the last school, well until.."

She stops in her tracks and continues on with a stiffness in her voice.

"You were fine alone. Why do you need them now?"

Hanbin takes his bag from the ground and starts walking towards the front door.

"They want to be my friends mom. And they promised to introduce me to some nice girls while I'm here."

Her expression changes into something more inviting. 

"Well I hope you like those girls. And the tutor I hired you. Don't want you to miss out on the 'high school experience' do I?"

She comes over, giving him a tight hug. Hanbin tries his best to hug her back. 

"Now run along! You're gonna be late!"

*

On his way to school, he bumps into Bobby. Hanbin thanks his stupid luck.

The other looks at him for a second and then bursts out laughing. Hanbin wonders if he can smell the fear coming off of him in waves. He feels like pray that's soon to be hunted.

"You're a breakfast kind of guy aren't you?"

His eyes are formed into tiny slits and his smile is so bright Hanbin wonders if the sun would find him competition. 

Hanbin hates how he thinks of Bobby getting out of bed in the morning, sunlight revealing those freckles on his face, just because he mentioned breakfast. 

"What?"

The confusion is eminent on his face.

And then Bobby leans in enough for Hanbin to feel dizzy.

His fingers find Hanbin's shoulder and his smile is so close Hanbin wonders if it can be contageous. If he'll accidentally catch it.

His breath hitches when Bobby's thumb finds it's way towards his upper lip. 

Hanbin can hear the rain falling around them but most of all his own stupid heartbeat, that keeps stammering in his chest. He makes a mental note to google if young people can get heart attacks.

"There you go!"

Hanbin's not sure what just happened. He's not sure about anything when he's around Bobby. His eyes keep looking for an answer on Bobby's face. It doesn't give him one. 

"You had milk on your lip, bro. Relax!"

Bobby's all smiles again and Hanbin hopes to god that Junhoe's dad will drive by, saving him from this hell.

He keeps feeling the weight of Bobby's hand on his shoulder, all the way back to school. He wonders if it burned through his shirt. He wouldn't mind.

*

The rest of the week goes by in slow motion. Hanbin's never been one to hate school but now he's starting to.

Bobby finds reasons to talk to him all the time, the nagging feeling in his gut that this won't end well, not leaving him alone for even a second.

It's his final day of detention and Hanbin's thankful. So so thankful.

He's had to deal with Bobby trying to be his friend all week and Hanbin hopes that maybe now he'll forget about him. Go back to the way his life was before Hanbin entered it.

Maybe he too could forget. Forget the way he keeps smiling at him like Hanbin's someone important. Someone he cherises and values. Whom he won't let go of, no matter what. 

*

"Where's Junhoe?"

It's lunchtime again. Donghyuk's buried in his notebooks and Yunhyeong's fidgeting with his sleeves, his plate empty. 

", we've been telling you all week man. His head's buried in Jinah's . The guy's a goner."

Donghyuk glares at Yunhyeong for his choice of words. Hanbin snorts.

"So why haven't you been paying any attention?"

Donghyuk turns his gaze towards him now and Hanbin startles.

"Is it cause of some girl? Or Bobby?"

Hanbin's not sure what he means by that question but he is sure, that he looks paler than ever. Except for the tips of his ears that are probably pinker than the smoothie Yunhyeong's drinking.

"I guess Bobby then."

Donghyuk smirks.

"I'm glad you two are getting along. I told you he'd get under your skin!" 

Hanbin nods absentmindedly. He stares at Bobby and Jinhwan, the only other pair that's outside. 

He's about to look away when his eyes get caught in Bobby's. The other smiles brightly and Hanbin's sure he's gonna wave. Instead he keeps smiling until it slowly fades. His eyes keep looking back though, warm and inviting. 

Hanbin squirms in his seat, very much aware of how the look makes him feel. He looks away, trying to forget the hint of a blush he saw on Bobby's neck.

"I wouldn't say he's under my skin. He's trying to get there but I don't think I wanna be that close to him."

Now it's Yunhyeong's turn to ponder.

"But why?"

They both look at him curiously.

A choking sound escapes from his throat and an answer quickly follows.

"Cause Jinhwan wouldn't react very well to that, would he? Besides, I'm not that fond of Bobby but he won't leave me alone."

Yunhyeong snorts.

"Guess you're his next charity case."

Hanbin's head darts up.

"What does that mean?"

Yunhyeong rolls his eyes, slurping loudly on his smoothie.

"It means that Jinhwan never wanted to be his friend either. But Bobby kind of made it his mission to become his buddy and look how it turned out. Jinhwan's still a loner but he couldn't go a day without him."

Donghyuk eyes the other table and Hanbin follows.

Jinhwan's laughing wickedly at something Bobby said, his fingers gripping onto his bicep tightly. He's got a pretty good idea of what's going on there and he doesn't want to be the next Jinhwan. The guy who falls for someone so completely but gets nothing but a slight touch on the thigh and a sweltering look in return. 

The bell rings and Hanbin hopes that this week will end the budding friendship between them.

*

They're handed a huge assignment in literature and Hanbin has to pair up.

He doesn't talk to anyone in this class. The only one he kind of knows is Jinhwan and Hanbin's pretty sure the other's already holding a grudge against him.
Except that Jinhwan's actually pointing at him mouthing 'agreed?' and Hanbin finds himself nodding along to it almost immediately.

The assignment requires them to make a 100 page play on an old novel. The best one will go into the hand's of their small drama club, that'll perform the play during graduation.

Hanbin has to admit he's pretty exited for it. He likes literature and he likes theatre. And even though this will be a hard task, he'll probably like doing it with Jinhwan too. Getting to know more about him and confirming his doubts about the weird friendship he has with Bobby.

*

Jinhwan comes over after class ends, startling him.

"I guess it's you and me then, huh?"

He's smirking and Hanbin finds him devilishly handsome. He thinks Bobby might think the same. 

"I guess so. When will we start?"

Jinhwan pretends to check his 'calendar' and Hanbin laughs. The other brightens up immediately and adds a shrug.

"Hmm, what about next week?"

Hanbin feels at ease talking to him and it's kind of surprising. 

Jinhwan nods.

"Your place or mine?"

Hanbin can feel his face fall and Jinhwan takes notice. Of course he does. 

"Maybe the school library?"

Jinhwan snorts.

"That place gives me the creeps. Besides, only the really smart kids hang out there. I'd feel inadequate."

Hanbin thinks of the guys and how they enjoy spending time there. He doesn't mention it nor the fact that Donghyuk practically lives there.

"Okay, your place then?"

He wants to present him a powerpoint presentation on why they shouldn't and why Jinhwan should definitely change his mind but Hanbin's somehow sure that Jinhwan's word is always final.

"Sure."

Jinhwan's leaving already when he calls after himself.

"You can get my address from Bobby. I see you two are getting along well."

He smirks and Hanbin senses something not so sincere behind it. 

He smiles back and whispers a tentative 'yeah' to himself, Jinhwan already far away in the hallway. 

He wonders if saying it out loud makes it real. Solid. Stuck in the air between them. He stops wondering. 

*

At the end of the day Hanbin's back in detention. He keeps thinking of Bobby's fingers on his thigh and Hanbin ponders if he might have imagined it after all. 

Bobby hasn't brought it up once, not mentioned a thing about their weird 'moment' and Hanbin keeps holding his breath, waiting for the inevitable to come. 

When it doesn't, even at the end of their last detention together, Hanbin wonders if Bobby's like this with everybody. If gazing into each other's eyes longingly is normal for him.

Hanbin knows he won't get an answer to that.

*

They're packing up when Bobby suggests something Hanbin wants to shut down immediately.

"Maybe I can walk you home? It's our last detention together after all. Wanna make sure you don't get into anymore trouble."

He smiles, handing Hanbin his pencil.

There's a bit of a pause and Hanbin's not sure he'll speak up at all.

"So?"

He looks up at Bobby. It's a mistake.

He's managed to loosen up his uniform tie and is raking his fingers through his hair. Standing there casually like what he's doing isn't effecting Hanbin in horrible horrible ways.

"Fine."

He croaks it out, voice slightly cracking and Hanbin wants to slap himself. Instead he runs out of there as soon as possible, not waiting for Bobby to follow.

*

It's dribbling a bit when they start their journey and Hanbin thinks of how many times he's walked to school or back with Bobby by his side. Just this week. 

They pass the park as Bobby talks about his brother whom Hanbin's itching to meet. 

"So he's thinking of coming to our school next year. What a douche, choosing to transfer when I've already graduated."

He snorts and Hanbin finds him amusing. In all the right ways.

"A little off topic but, doesn't your girlfriend miss you already?"

Hanbin stares at his shoes while Bobby thinks of an answer.

"What do you mean?"

Hanbin looks up and Bobby's staring right into his eyes. It still makes him uncomfortable, even after all these hours spent together behind remotely small desks. 

"Like, you've been walking to school and back with me a lot. I don't think she appreciates being away from you for that long."

Hanbin's staring forward, feeling Bobby's gaze burning the side of his face. He thinks he's already blushing hard enough that adding Bobby's affect might give him a permanent tan. An ugly one. 

"I don't think so? We hang out all the time anyway. And you know how it is, after the flames died down you can see each other less without craving the touch."

Hanbin mumbles 'I don't' and hopes Bobby doesn't catch it. He does.

"You don't?"

There's silence for a while and then a gasping sound. He's figured it out.

"You mean you've never had a girlfriend?"

Hanbin looks at Bobby for a second. The other is so surprised that it actually amuses him.

"Um, no. But it doesn't matter. I'll meet someone when I graduate. Then I can focus on them properly."

He swears to shut himself up from now on. The last thing he needs is for Bobby to start asking questions. Which he does. 

", I've been so caught up talking about myself all this time that I don't really know that much about you. Except for Hanbyul. I need to meet her by the way, what a cute lil girl."

Hanbin smiles to himself, noticing Bobby doing it too. He's weirded out by how much they can parallel each other at times.

"She's gonna grow up to be a man killer one day. Trust me on that."

Bobby pats his back and Hanbin hopes he's distracted enough over Hanbyul to not continue their conversation. He isn't. 

"So, why haven't you dated? Wanna be celibate or are you just a prude?"

Hanbin repeats his eralier answer.

"Bull. You're a teenage boy Hanbin. And I'm a teenage boy. I know how this works and even If you wanted to wait, you couldn't."

Bobby laughs and Hanbin forces one out of himself too. He would find this conversation funny if it wasn't hitting so close to home. 

"Well.. Let's just stay I've tried some stuff but never found someone I wanted to settle down with."

Bobby snorts.

"You sound like an old man." 

Hanbin pouts his lip and his mind doesn't forget to remind him the amount of time Bobby stares at it. And how much it crosses the 'line' that should exist between them. But has yet to make an apperance.

"I promise to get you some booty."

Hanbin chokes on a giggle, almost stumbling on his feet. Bobby laughs at that until he's wheezing and Hanbin forces down the inevitable flutters in his stomach. 

"I don't want your help Bobby. Go spend time with your girlfriend and your brother. I'm fine."

They're almost by his house now and Hanbin hopes that his mother's still out or minding her own business. 

Bobby looks serious when Hanbin turns to him and it's a bit startling.

"Why do you want to keep me away from you so bad? All I want is to be your friend Hanbin."

He swallows the lump in his throat and focuses on something else than that look in Bobby's eyes.

"I'm just saying. You gotta keep your eyes on the prize Bobby. School's important."

Bobby snorts.

"Yes, even our school. And with your girlfriend, brother and Jinhwan.. I don't see how I fit in the equation."

He can see Bobby's fingers flex around the straps of his backpack when he mentions Jinhwan. Hanbin stores it in his mind, in a box called 'The curious case of Bobhwan', which he intends to open later. 

"You do fit in Hanbin. At least I want you to."

They're standing near his house now and Hanbin's not sure if his heartbeats pounding cause of that, or cause Bobby's standing way too close for comfort. A sincere look in his eyes that screams 'dont leave me'. Hanbin want's to so very badly.

"Why though?"

He can't help but ask. 

Bobby's fingers grip the straps of his bag tightly.

"Cause you're Hanbin. And there's no one like you out there."

He's not sure how to respond to that. Bobby's close enough for his scent to envelope Hanbin, making him fall under his spell. Making it hard to think but easy to breathe. So god damn easy.

And then there's buzzing from Bobby's pocket. Hanbin thanks the heaven's that he didn't have to answer. He might have said too much. Might have said something real for once. 

"It's my girlfriend."

Bobby's whole demeanor's changed in just seconds and Hanbin's taking notice of how different he looks when he's talking from the heart and when he's caught up in the real world. His real world, Hanbin's mind adds.

"Well I guess you should go then."

Hanbin pats his shoulder without hesitation and starts walking away, letting out a breath he didn't even know he was holding.

"Hey, wait a second!"

Hanbin tenses when the footsteps jog closer and closer.

"Do you happen to know this address?"

Bobby pushes the phone towards him but it's still far enough that Hanbin has to lean in, Bobby's face mere inches away. He makes it his mission not to glance up and act as if he's unaware of it at all. 

He opens his mouth and then shuts it. Bobby puts his phone away as Hanbin's still staring at the ground. 

"Well, do you know it?" 

He clears his throat.

"Yeah, it's mine."

He looks up and Bobby brightens. 

"What? Damn! My girlfriend's gonna be your new tutor?? How awesome is this!"

Hanbin swallows hard. How awesome indeed. 

 

*****************

I thought this was a short chapter and now looks like it isnt. Hope you like it!