Friday Night Lights

Fools

The week goes by boringly.

Hanbin keeps eating lunch with the guys and the guys keep inviting him. 

He's not sure if this is what friendship is called but he likes it.

Hanbin's still not seen Bobby but he's kind of hoping he doesn't even have to meet him.

They're all in the library, studying for another test when Junhoe brings it up.

"Why'd you transfer?"

He's eating that same chocolate bar Hanbyul likes and Hanbin wants nothing more than to be at home. 

The words on the paper below him are blurring and Hanbin wills his heart to stop beating so loudly. It's too quiet in the library. He thinks they might hear it. 

"Uh, got bad grades and mom thought this place would help fix them."

He smiles awkwardly and focuses back on the paper. 

Junhoe doesn't reply and when he looks up the guys are all eyeing him. 

"What?"

"You do know this school isn't like.. one of the best around?" 

Junhoe's got a bit of chocolate on his upper lip and it's starting to distract him.

"Yeah. But it's better than my last one."

Yunhyeong whistles. 

"Damn. That must've been a real bad school then."

Donghyuk swats at him.

"It isn't that bad here!" 

Junhoe laughs loudly and grabs the attention of the librarian. Thankfully they get a warning and not kicked out.

Hanbin hopes they can get back to their homework then. 

"Had any girls back in that old place?" 

Donghyuk's raising his eyebrows expectantly and Hanbin smiles. He thinks of the disappointed look on his mother's face and answers with just a tiny bit of tremble in his voice.

"Nah. Been single all my life." 

He pouts his lip and the guys laugh again. This time they do get kicked out.

*
Before he knows it, it's Friday.

And that means he has to socialize outside of school hours. He promised the guys he'd go to the game. He really doesn't want to.

"Where are you heading?"

His mother's braiding Hanbyuls hair and Hanbin smiles.

"The football game I told you 'bout."

She doesn't say a word but gives him that look Hanbin's oh so familiar with.

"Behave please."

Hanbin keeps staring at his sneakers.

"I will. I'll be back before midnight."

"You better be!"

Hanbyul's shouting and running to hug him. Hanbin feels a bit better at that.

*
Of course it rains during football too. Hanbin's pretty sure that it never stops raining, he probably just imagines the sunny days. 

The guys pick him up by the crossroad between his school and house. 

It takes him a second to burst out in giggles when he sees Donghyuk. In a kilt.

"What the hell are you wearing?"

Donghyuk's arms are crossed over and he's pouting. Not in a cute way. 

"I lost a bet to Yunhyeong." 

The other smiles brightly and gives Hanbin a thumbs up.

"I don't even want to know what that bet was."

They laugh as Donghyuk claims he hates them. Hanbin's much more sure in the fact that he actually doesn't. He likes it. 

*
It's somehow colder outside than it was just an hour ago.

The lights on the stadium are too bright for his eyes and he's feeling pretty bad for Donghyuk at this point.

His skin is pale in a really mortifying way and Hanbin's pretty sure if he met him in the hallways right now, he'd think he's a ghost. 

That reminds him of Jinhwan and the grocery store just as the elder sits on the bench below them. 

He looks up at a freezing Donghyuk and a chip munching Junhoe. 

His gaze stops on Hanbin.

"I see you're getting into the social scene."

Hanbin smiles, feeling his teeth chatter.

"Yeah, I guess so." He doesn't know what else to say.

Jinhwan smirks, patting Donghyuk on the knee.

"You do know the games about two hours long?"

Donghyuk panics for a second before glaring at him in response.

Jinhwan laughs and it sounds adorable. Hanbin definitely wants to know more about him.

*
The game begins. Hanbin's never really been into sports but he likes football. He was a huge fan of Cristiano Ronaldo a few years ago. For reasons he doesn't even want to disclose to himself.

It's slightly dribbling and Junhoe helps Yunhyeong's grandfather take out his selfmade poster.

Hanbin finds himself touched by it and he tries to remember the last time his family supported him like that. He can't.

Everyone's cheering as the guys run on the field. 

They're playing against a school that's near town but just a little bit too far for him to have joined it. 

The announcer calls out the player's names and Hanbin's kind of glad they're sitting in the middle. 

He can see all their glowing but nervous faces. Yunhyeong waves at them when it's his turn and Hanbin waves back. Donghyuk's too frozen but Junhoe is hollering at the top of his lungs. Hanbin tries to feel embarrassed but instead feels fond.

He can see Yunhyeong's grandpa wipe a tear from the corner of his eye and Hanbin wants to hug him and tell him how lucky Yunhyeong is to have him.

And then they announce someone who's name he doesn't catch. 

But his breath does. 

Hanbin's staring abashedly and he's way too out of it to notice.

The guy is gorgeous. His cheekbones sharp, his eyes small but full of life. He wants his jawline to cut him so he'd remember how to behave. 

Seeing him is like a breath of fresh air and Hanbin's so so tired of the staleness in his lungs and in his life. 

*
"Who's that?"

He hears himself ask, surprising himself by his courage.

"That's our resident foreigner Bobby."

Junhoe snorts at the way Bobby's waving towards Jinhwan. 

Hanbin feels himself gape and then the memories start flooding in. The low moans vibrating through his body. The slick sounds of-

"Why do you hate Bobby so much?"

He startles when Jinhwan turns to Junhoe.

"I don't."

The other looks a bit too sheepish.

Jinhwan snorts, giving him a glare.

"Are you jealous cause he gets laid more than you? Or cause he's friends with me?"

Hanbin swears he can hear Junhoe growl.

"I'm not jealous!"

Yunhyeong's grandpa shushes them and points at his grandson, who's swiftly grabbing the ball. The game's already started and Hanbin didn't even notice. 

"You can tell that to yourself all you want, June."

Jinhwan says his name in a mocking tone and Hanbin wonders if they were ever close. Junhoe wouldn't let anyone disrespect him like that, if it wasn't someone he's close to. At least that's what he thinks he's learned about him.

"Shut up."

Junhoe's sitting down again as Donghyuk laughs, his teeth chattering so wildly that Hanbin's pretty sure he'll leave this match in an ambulance.

*
Hanbin can't tear his eyes away from Bobby.

It's hypnotizing.

The way his legs move, the way his chest constricts with every breath. 

The way he smiles and laughs when their team gets a goal. 

Hanbin wants to hear the people cheering around him so badly. Except all he hears is a low throaty moan echoing in his ears, making his legs shake underneath him. 

*
It's raining heavily when the game ends.

Their team won with just one point and Hanbin feels pretty euphoric. 

Yunhyeong's running towards them as they make their way towards the field. He hugs his grandpa tightly and Hanbin waits for his turn.

His eyes get caught in Bobby's. Hanbin tries to keep his world from shattering around him.

The moment is fleeting. Bobby's looking at him curiously before smiling widely and moving towards Jinhwan. 

Hanbin tears his eyes away and hugs Yunhyeong as Donghyuk cheers at winning his bet.

Yunghyeong leaves him to smack his friends. He then proceeds to chase Donghyuk around on the field, trying to lift up his kilt.

Hanbin has never laughed so hard in his whole entire life. 

Jinhwan and Bobby are leaving towards the parking lots as he tries suffocating the bundle of nerves in his stomach, hoping he doesn't have to see Bobby again.
After all he's successfully avoided meeting him all week long.

*
He spots them again when they're driving towards his house.

Donghyuk's snuggled up in a huge blanket, napping away his goosebumps as Junhoe and Yunhyeong argue over the game. 

Hanbin's staring out the window, chasing raindrops again.

He sees Bobby and what he thinks is Jinhwan standing near the park entrance. He then sees them kiss and Hanbin's pretty sure he must've gasped out loud.
Turns out it's a girl that looks awfully familiar to Jinhwan and Hanbin wants to ask who she is but doesn't.

He can faintly recognize the outlines of Bobby's hand on her .

He then stares at the trees instead, remembering how angry his physics teacher was and how the girl giggled in the bathroom.

Frustration blooms in his stomach like a swarm of butterflies and Hanbin swears to himself that that's what it is. 

Once more he glares angrily at the fading figures near the park and swears he'll get back at Bobby. Cause he dislikes him. Hates him. Nothing else. 

*
Falling asleep later that night, all he hears is the sound of his own breathing. His lungs taking in all that fresh air they didn't seem to find before.

Before sleep takes over, he mutters the words 'nothing else' under his breath. 

The rain keeps falling. And so does he.

 

********************************

I hope you like it!  Also by football I mean soccer! 

Even though the title is from an american football movie.. Damn I shouldve thought this through!