Papercut

Fools

The weather isn't on his side. Seems like nothing in this world is.

He pleads one last time as a firm no is heard through the parking lot. 

Hanbin stumbles out of the car, his mother waving him goodbye, and faces a huge building he'd now spend more time in than his own home.

It's old and mysterious. He kind of likes the vibes he gets from it. Especially the fogginess around the school but that's just to blame on the weather. 

He thinks maybe someone is weird enough, like him, to be out on a rainy day like this. He likes the rain. They saw the sun rarely in this part of town. At least that's what he learned over the summer.

But no one is there. Just as he expected. Well except for a fairly stern looking lady standing near the entrance. The principal. He sighs and heaves his schoolbag over his shoulder.

This year's going to be very long. 

*
Hanbin clears his throat and tries his best to smile as they sit down. He can smell old coffee and see a few shiny looking chocolate chip cookies on the secretary's desk. He wonders if they've been sitting there since this building was constructed. 

"Your mother didn't tell us why she decided to change your schools. I can see that you haven't had any fights or misconduct in class. May I ask why you wanted to switch?"

His smile falters.

"My mother just felt that my friends back in the old school didn't fit our image. They weren't bad guys but still. You know how parents are. And that's why I came here."

He tries to bow while sitting down, accidentally knocking over a pencilcase. The lady's facial expression doesn't change. 

"Well then, I hope you make some friends here that your mother likes."

She hands him a few papers and some stuff to sign, waving him towards the grandiose hallways of the building.

Hanbin groans and wishes to be back at home, playing with his little sister and ignoring his mother's inquiring looks.

*
He's lost. It's not the end of the world but Hanbin really doesn't want to get detention on his first day there. 

He stares out the window, his bag thrown on the surprisingly clean floor. He watches the raindrops chase each other and thinks of how much Hanbyul likes this game. A sigh heaves it's way out of his tired body.

He thinks of blonde hair and curveless bodies. The signed papers in his hands get immediately crumpled.

"Hi!"

He startles, turning around way too fast, making himself a bit dizzy. 

An energetic boy is standing there bouncing slightly on his heels.

"Um, hello." 

The younger/older looks at him with a wide smile.

"I'm Donghyuk. You must be new!" 

He's way too enthusiastic for Hanbin to bare so he just nods.

"Why're you out here alone? Can't find the classroom?" 

He lets out a shrill laugh and Hanbin finds himself smirking, amused.

"Yeah. Pretty much."

"Show me your schedule!"

And then he's way too close for comfort and Hanbin swallows hard. 

He tries not to stare too long at the dimples on his pale cheeks as the younger busies himself with reading his files. 

Hanbin wonders if he's just playing nice or if he's actually made a friend on his first day. Something he'd never accomplished before. 

Donghyuk puts on a pair of glasses and Hanbin bites his tongue to not compliment his features. 

*
He's not surprised that he's sitting alone again in every class. 

It's something he's gotten so used to over the years. He's never really been one to socialize and this school makes it perfectly clear that if you're not an extrovert, you're not worth talking to.

After literature ends he sees a few girls staring at him, whispering. He knows they're probably just curious about him. Not spreading any lies. Truth. He still squirms in his seat.

Lunch goes just as boringly when Donghyuk appears again. His glasses messing up his light brown hair and his uniform tie a bit loosened. Hanbin gulps involuntarily. 

"Wanna have lunch with me?"

Hanbin tries to think of an excuse.

"My friends want to see the new guy and introduce you to the school."

He smiles and Hanbin feels the corners of his own mouth rise too. 

"Sure."

*
They're sitting outside on one of the benches. The rain's died down but Hanbin can still feel his socks sog in his sneakers. 

But he likes it.

Donghyuk's friends are lively and most of all friendly. 

There's Yunhyeong and then there's Junhoe. 

Junhoe's loud and arrogant and outspoken. He's also younger than him with gorgeous features. Hanbin's kind of jealous.

If Junhoe's loud then Yunhyeong's even louder. He speaks with his mouth full and makes jokes on Donghyuk's account. 

Hanbin's sure he could tolerate them for a year. If they wanted him to that is.

"See there? He's Jinhwan. The school loner slash popular guy. We get along but he likes minding his own business. The main rule is - If Jinhwan doesn't talk to you first, you don't talk to him. One-"

Donghyuk pauses for a quick bite of his weird meat sandwich.

"- time Junhoe asked him for a pen and Jinhwan ignored him for the rest of the year. It was a morning too so, you know. No one likes the mornings here."

Hanbin finds Jinhwan to be interesting. He's surprised that someone who's a loner, like he is, is also popular.

"He gets along best with Bobby."

Yunhyeong adds, playing mindlessly with his sleeves. 

"Bobby? He's a foreigner?"

Junhoe snorts.

"He claims to be a foreigner but we all doubt it."

Donghyuk quirks up from his sandwich.

"He's not bad though!"

Yunhyeong and Junhoe eye each other like Donghyuk's gone crazy.

"Just a bit rough around the edges."

Hanbin nods. 

"Donghyuk, I don't think he cares about the guys. Tell him bout Hyorin!" 

Yunhyeong's eyes sparkle with excitement and Hanbin looks up from his sneakers. He tries for a smile.

It seems to work.

*
When he gets home later that evening his mother meets him at the door.

It's raining again and he decides to buy new shoes as soon as possible. 

Hanbyul jumps at him on the door and Hanbin smiles one of his most genuine smiles that day. 

His mother looks at him warily.

"Made any friends?"

"Uh, I think so yeah."

"Girls?"

"No."

His mother leaves him with Hanbyul, muttering something about getting dinner on the table. 

He stares out the window, placing bets on raindrops with Hanbyul, hoping that he's stopped falling. For his own sake. For his mothers' sake.

 

***********************

This fic is just blooming (hehe) in my mind rn and I have like a billion ideas. Idk how well I'll manage Hanbin's POV but let's just see where this goes.

I hope you guys like it!