Chapter Forty-Four

Drenched

“I am going to win that!” Bomi pointed at the stand in front of them. The game was about shooting a rifle towards a specific target and if they managed to do it once in three shoots, they could get a giant teddy bear or other toys. “Which one do you want, Chorong-unnie?”

Chorong pointed at a huge panda hanging from a corner of the tent after thinking about it for a while. She didn’t think Bomi capable of not missing the target, but the girl had surprised her many times so she couldn’t say anything.

“The panda it is,” Bomi answered with a grin. “I’ll win it for you, unnie.”

“Okay.” Chorong got closer to Bomi and kissed her softly in the lips. She was still sweet as candy. “That was your good luck kiss.”

“Oh really? I think you can do better,” Bomi winked at Chorong.

The leader laughed but moved forward anyway, kissing her girlfriend again. Bomi enclosed Chorong in her arms to pull her closer and deepened the kiss.

“Hey, are you playing or not?” The man in charge of the stand complained.

“Yes, yes, of course.” Bomi grinned, but Chorong blushed and lowered her head.

Bomi grabbed the rifled and focused.

“Unnie, fighting!” Hayoung cheered for her.

Bomi pointed her rifle at the target. And shot. The plastic bullet that came out from it ended up exactly in the middle of the striped target. She couldn’t believe it. The members couldn’t believe it. The man in charge couldn’t believe it.

“Unnie! You did it!” Namjoo exclaimed in excitement, and she and Hayoung started jumping up and down in joy.

But Bomi had another two shots left. She missed the second one, but the third was as perfect as the first one. She was ecstatic.

“Yes! I did it!” She hugged Chorong. “I got a huge panda for you, baby.”

“Baby?” Chorong looked somewhere between shocked and amused. Eunji started laughing behind her, and winked at the leader when Chorong turned around to look at her.

“That was amazing, unnie,” Naeun complimented, her fingers laced with Eunji’s.

Bomi grabbed the panda from the man and ran to give it to Chorong. The leader, like the child she was inside, hugged the animal, black and white in its softness, and then hugged Bomi in thankfulness.

“Thank you so much.” She kissed her girlfriend. It was short, but it was sweet, and it was happy.

“Unnie, buy me some candy floss,” Hayoung pouted at Namjoo. When she wanted something from the older girl, that’s when Namjoo really became an unnie for Hayoung.

Namjoo laughed, and nodded.

“Okay,” she said. “I can buy some for all of you if you’d like.”

The excitement was obvious in the members’ faces.

“Yes! Thank you so much, Namjoo-ah,” Bomi said.

“But you’ve already had some,” Chorong laughed.

The pout was childish but cute anyways. “So what?”

It was a tiring evening for all of them, but it was also full of joy and excitement. They weren’t used to having so much fun all together, and even less to do so in public, so they enjoyed it at its fullest.

“Do you want to go somewhere for dinner?” Hayoung asked, her eyes brightening up in the dimmed light of the evening.

“I think we’ve spent too much money today already, Hayoung-ah.” Bomi ruffled the maknae’s hair, and Chorong sighed in relief when she heard her girlfriend’s words.

“Let’s go home,” she said. “I’ll cook something for you. Aren’t you tired?”

“Oh, no,” Hayoung was still smiling brightly. “Of course not.”

Chorong rolled her eyes but smiled back.

“Okay, let’s go,” she said. “Who’s coming in my car?”

All the members except from Eunji, who was driving the other car, and Naeun, raised their hands.

“Oh, great.” Eunji laughed in disbelief. “Thank you, Naeun-ah.”

Naeun blushed, and Hayoung and Namjoo burst out laughing at that.

“You girls go separately.” Chorong pointed at the maknaes. “Bomi-ah’s coming with me. You two… just decide it somehow. I am not leaving this two alone in case they have an accident.”

Chorong pointed at Naeun and Eunji, who were just staring at each other attentively. Eunji heard her, nevertheless, and rolled her eyes at the leader’s comment.

“Whatever,” she said, and talked to the maknaes. “You two, play rock, paper, scissors. Whoever wins gets to decide.”

Namjoo won, and she couldn’t believe it herself. Hayoung pouted in disbelief, but she shrugged and smiled politely.

“I want to go with Chorong-unnie,” Namjoo said, smiling at her leader, and Chorong smiled back.

“Okay, let’s go,” Naeun said, grabbing Eunji’s hand. “Hayoungie, you’re coming with us.”

Naeun looked happy about it, and she didn’t see Hayoung asking for silent help to be freed of those “lovebirds”. But things were as they were, so Bomi shrugged at the maknae’s petition.

“Have fun,” Namjoo added with an evil grin.

“Unnie, will you teach me how to drive? Chorong-unnie hasn’t had too much time lately…” Hayoung asked Eunji while the older girl drove them home.

Hayoung had obviously been delegated to the back seat, and the new couple, or whatever it was that they were, were sitting together in the front. Eunji wasn’t taking her eyes off the road, while Naeun wasn’t taking her eyes off Eunji.

“I can feel your eyes on me,” Eunji told Naeun.

“Is it making you nervous?” Naeun laughed musically, and Eunji thought that that was the best sound she’d heard in a long while.

“So, unnies,” Hayoung wasn’t going to stay out of the conversation, “are you an official couple or what?”

Eunji moved her eyes off the road for a while, looking at Naeun with uneasiness in her eyes. They hadn’t talked about it; they were just going with the flow. Naeun was shy, and she wasn’t going to answer first, so Eunji decided to be honest and just answer what she really was thinking.

“I hope so.” Surprisingly, Naeun was the first one to answer, and Hayoung started laughing and fangirling in the back as soon as she heard the answer.

Eunji was frozen in the spot, somewhere between surprised and flattered and maybe mad since Naeun hadn’t told her that when they’d been alone.

Hayoung stopped laughing after a while and when she spoke, her voice was completely serious.

“I hope you are too,” she said, shrugging. None of the girls could see her, though. “You look great together. And more importantly, you look happy.”

Naeun smiled at her best friend’s comment, and she turned around as much as she could in her seat to look at Hayoung and show her how happy she really was that she’d said that.

“Hayoung-ah, let us talk about it on our own, please,” Naeun whispered at her, and the maknae blushed, something incredibly rare. She nodded, and Naeun smiled at her.

“Eunji-unnie,” Hayoung spoke after a few minutes of being in silence. When Eunji looked at her through the view mirror, she continued. “Is it true that Bomi-unnie is starting chemotherapy tomorrow?”

Eunji looked shocked at Hayoung’s question, and so did Naeun. “Who told you that?”

“Namjoo-unnie.”

Eunji stared at the road in silence, and Hayoung stopped waiting for an answer after a couple of minutes. Did that mean it was true?