Chapter Twenty-Two

Drenched

Namjoo was waiting outside for Chorong to arrive.

“What’s wrong with them?” The leader was lost in a state between concern and anger.

Namjoo apologized. “I didn’t want to bother you but then Hayoung-ah got drunk because of Eunji-unnie and Eunji-unnie and Naeun-unnie wouldn’t stop screaming at each other and...”

“It’s okay.” Chorong sighed. “Let’s see what’s going on now.”

The two girls made their way into the bungalow while talking about what had happened.

“And then Naeun-unnie and Eunji-unnie started to throw things at each other, and they were shouting incomprehensible things at each other and...” Namjoo paused. “Did you know they are together?”

“They are?” Chorong opened her eyes wide. “I mean, I knew they both felt something for each other, but...”

“I don’t know,” Namjoo answered, letting her fingers go down through her hair. “Hayoung-ah just said something... Well, she was drunk, but even though...”

She shrugged, and the girls entered the corridor. It was in complete silence.

“They were shouting barely minutes ago,” Namjoo looked confused.

The two girls opened Eunji and Naeun’s door, and what they saw was nothing like they’d expected. The two girls were curled up together in Naeun’s bed, their bodies intertwined, holding each other tightly. They were sleeping peacefully.

Namjoo and Chorong both looked surprised, and they tried not to make any more noise so they wouldn’t wake them. Chorong smiled softly when she saw them together; then her smile turned into a sad one when she thought about Bomi and herself.

Namjoo pointed at something on the floor, and Chorong saw an empty bottle of vodka laying there, abandoned. She could do nothing but lift her eyebrows in slight surprise and shake her head in disapproval.

“I’m going to go check on Hayoung-ah,” Chorong said after rolling her eyes. “Can you take the bottle to the kitchen?”

Hayoung wasn’t sleeping as peacefully. She was awake, lying on her bed while looking at the ceiling.

“Unnie!” The maknae stood up when she saw Chorong, but then a wave of nausea struck her and she had to run to the toilet.

Chorong was astonished. “Hayoung-ah! How could you...?”

Hayoung came out from the bathroom looking pale and ashamed.

“Hayoung-ah, you know you can’t hold your liquor.” Chorong wasn’t scolding her, she just sounded a bit disappointed and tired.

“Eunji-unnie...” Hayoung started to explain, but then she decided it was no one else’s fault but hers, no matter how much Eunji had lured her in. “I’m really sorry, unnie.”

“Just get some sleep.” Chorong helped the maknae into bed, covering her with the sheets with a motherly attitude. No matter how mature Hayoung looked on the outside, she was still very young. “We’ll talk in the morning.”

Bomi woke up with the sound of a phone ringing. The sun was already up, filling the room with its light, but Bomi had been sleeping like a baby.

“Hello?” She yawned at the phone.

“Bomi-ah?” Chorong’s voice woke her up. “Did I wake you?”

“Maybe.” Bomi smiled, she knew Chorong could feel the smile in her voice. “But it’s okay.”

Chorong avoided the details about what had happened last night, but she just let the other girl know the general idea and their plans for the day. After all, it was the first time since Bomi had been brought to the hospital that no one was there with her, none of the members.

“Our manager-oppa called me,” Chorong said. “He said the CEO would talk to us later, so I’m a bit worried. And we cannot let them know about the members getting drunk last night.”

“Were they alright when you got there?” Bomi asked.

“Eunji-ah and Naeun-ah were peacefully sleeping together,” Chorong explained. “But Hayoung... Our baby Hayoungie was so sick she couldn’t sleep.”

“Oh my...” Bomi sighed. “I can’t believe this all happened without me there to see it.”

“How can you say that?” But Chorong laughed anyways.

They chatted for a while about last night before talking about the day.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t there when you woke up,” Chorong said. “I just felt like I needed to talk to them all when they woke up and learn about what really happened last night. Namjoo-ah couldn’t do anything and she called me, but I had wanted to stay with you all night...

“It’s okay, unnie,” Bomi tried not to make her worry. “I’m feeling sort of okay now. You can come later.”

“I’ll be there before lunch time,” Chorong promised. “Wait for me. And if you need anything, whatever it is, don’t hesitate to call me.”

“I will, don’t worry.” Bomi smiled at the phone even though Chorong couldn’t see her. “I love you.”

“I love you too, Bomi-ah.”

After they both hung up, Bomi tried to sit up in her bed so she was more comfortable, but the pain she felt when she tried to move was still there. She had to get some tests done today again so they could see how she was progressing – if she was making any progress at all – but she felt too tired to move. So she decided to sleep the pain off until Chorong came for lunch, when she would have to fake being okay again, no matter how much it hurt.

“Naeun-ah? Are you awake?” Eunji was looking at Naeun’s sleepy face, the younger girl yawning and rolling in her sleepy state under the bright sunlight that was coming from the window. Eunji caressed Naeun’s face with the back of her hand, making her heart flutter. She was so into the younger girl... When did that even happen?

Eunji hadn’t wanted to wake the other girl up, so she was lying on the bed with Naeun’s head on her chest, the younger girl’s arms curled up around her. Naeun looked so peaceful in her sleep... Images from last night started to strike Eunji in flashes. Herself with the vodka bottle. A drunk Hayoung in the porch. Herself shouting at Naeun, both of them fighting in the corridor. The closed door; and Namjoo trying to stop her from tearing it down. Naeun’s disappointed face that turned into anger.

“Oh my God.” The weight of last night’s events struck her. That was so not like her. When was the last time she’d gotten drunk? She didn’t even remember. “How could I do that?”

“I agree.” Naeun was awake and speaking, her eyes open wide and searching for Eunji’s. “You are just lucky I love you.”

“Lo-love me?”