Words That Are Hard to Say

Myungyeol 50 Songfic Challenge

Lee Seunggi for inspirit4myungyeol.

this one is angsty :((

also filled with emojis, so it's best to read on mobile


Sungyeol has been buzzing all week. He just got approved for five days off from his military duties, which means he gets to go home and spend time with his friends and family. The other soldiers in his division keep asking if he's won the lottery or something, because he's been nonstop chatty, practically bouncing off the walls.

He departs from the base in the morning, saluting his lieutenant and promising to return punctually. He sends a message to his parents while he waits for the bus to pick him up, telling them that he'll drop by within the next few days. The bus ride feels much longer than it really is, and he arrives home early in the afternoon.

The first thing he does when he gets to his apartment is change his clothes, crawl into his bed, and fall asleep. It's the best sleep he's had in a while, tucked snugly into his fluffy comforter and surrounded by sweet, sweet silence.

The second thing he does is send a message to the Infinite group chat:

Sungyeol: guess who's baaack :D

Sungyeol: come visit me, door code is ****

Woohyun: omg they fired u already

Woohyun: jk I don't think they're allowed to do that

Woohyun: I'll come over tonight ❤❤

Sungyeol: don't make it sound dirty lol

Woohyun: 😘😘😘 love u

Sungyeol: 🤮

Woohyun: 😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sungjong: You're back!!!🎉🎉 I'll come by tonight too ❤

Woohyun: stop impeding on our alone time 💢💢💢

Sungyeol: please come together

Sungyeol: I'm leaving if Woohyun comes alone

Woohyun: D':

Myungsoo: I'm coming too ❤❤❤

Sungyeol: ok! ❤❤

Woohyun: 💔💔💔💔💔 show me love too Sungyeollie

Sungyeol: 🤮🤮🤮 I'm gonna go eat now

Woohyun: 💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔💔

Sungyeol can't help but smile at Woohyun's typical dramatic personality. He's excited to see all of them and find out what they've been up to and brag about his military promotions. But, first and foremost, food.

 

Woohyun is sitting backstage, still cooling off from his afternoon performance. He has the rest of the night off, which means he can spend it catching up with Sungyeol.

But something's bothering him. He's not sure whether Sungyeol knows yet, but he highly doubts it. Myungsoo has always been pretty quiet about his personal affairs, and it's tough to get information from him if you don't ask.

Woohyun wonders how Sungyeol will take the news, and after sitting there and worrying about it for a few more minutes, he finally decides to tell him in person. He opens up his personal messages with Sungyeol.

Woohyun: can I come over right now?

Woohyun: I'm done my performances for today ;)

Sungyeol: no.

Woohyun: I'll bring chicken

Woohyun: I bet you have no food at home anyway lol

Sungyeol: ...I'm weak to chicken

Woohyun: ❤ see you soon~

Sungyeol leaves him on read, so he waits until he gets to the chicken place and sends a photo of the takeout boxes.

Woohyun: send a heart back or you'll never see this chicken again

Sungyeol: ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

 

Woohyun lets himself in when he gets to Sungyeol's place. "Honey, I'm home!!"

Sungyeol's been sitting on the couch, texting his mom that he arrived home safely and answering all her questions, telling her not to worry so much about him. He gets up immediately when he hears Woohyun entering the code, and he snatches the takeout containers from his hands, throwing a quick thank you over his shoulder as he disappears into the kitchen.

Woohyun trails behind him, nagging, "Hey! I haven't seen you in months and this is how you greet me? Where's my welcome home kiss?"

He doesn't expect Sungyeol to lean over and lay one on his cheek, but the moment he registers the sticky sauce on his face, he's smacking Sungyeol and grabbing napkins to wipe it off.

"It's actually my welcome home party, but thank you for the chicken. This is exactly what I needed." Sungyeol walks into Woohyun with his arms out, giving him an awkward hug as he tries not to get any sauce from his fingers on the other's clothing.

They sit down and share the food in silence. On Sungyeol's part, it's because he's eating as if it were his last meal. As for Woohyun, he's entirely preoccupied with planning exactly how to bring it up.

Should he just spit it out and get it over with? Or should he try to ease into it, and mention it casually? Is it even his place to tell Sungyeol about it? Actually, it's probably for the best that he tells Sungyeol. It'll give him more time to react and adjust so he can save face in front of Myungsoo.

They polish off the chicken and then Woohyun insists on hanging out in Sungyeol's room so he can see all the pins and badges on his uniform. There's not many at the moment, but Woohyun asks Sungyeol to explain what each of them signify, and really listens, tracing his fingers over them in fascination.

Woohyun goes to hang the uniform back in the closet when Sungyeol speaks up, "Is something bothering you?"

He pauses, smoothing down the fabric with his hands, "Well, yeah. I guess you could say that."

Sungyeol sits down cross-legged on the bed and pats the space across from him. Woohyun sits down, too.

"Tell me what's up."

"It's about you."

He tilts his head, "About me?"

"Kind of. It's about Myungsoo, but it's also about you."

Sungyeol looks concerned at the sudden mention of Myungsoo's name.

Woohyun continues, "Have you talked to him much lately?"

"Not really, no. I don't get a lot of cellphone time, and apparently he's been really busy with filming."

"So he hasn't mentioned anything to you?"

"No, Woohyun. Get to the point."

He inhales deeply, exhales, reaches out and takes Sungyeol's hand gently in his own.

"Myungsoo has a girlfriend."

Sungyeol freezes up for a moment. He yanks his hand away like he's been burnt. "What?"

"He's dating his co-star. Shin Hyesun. He seems really serious about her. I thought you should know before you see him."

Sungyeol's head is bowed, eyes shut. His hands are closed into tight fists around the sheets, knuckles losing colour. His knees are curling up toward his body as he starts to close himself off from the world.

"Sungyeol, hey... Sungyeol, look at me."

He does, and his eyes are turning red. He shoves his hands into Woohyun's chest, and Woohyun's hands immediately come up to cover them, keeping them in place.

"But I thought he-!" He's cut off by a hiccup.

"All of us did." Woohyun pulls him forward, embraces him tightly.

He finishes the thought, words barely audible. "I thought he liked me."

"I know, Sungyeol. So did everybody else. I'm sorry."

Woohyun can feel hot tears seeping into his shirt, and he rocks gently from side to side.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry, Sungyeol." He really means it, and he repeats it over and over again.

 

Sungyeol eventually falls asleep again, and Woohyun tucks him into bed and lies down beside him, rubbing circles on his arm. It had taken him a long time to calm down, and it was already late at night. Woohyun's phone buzzes. A new message from the group chat.

Myungsoo: done filming for today 😊 I'll head over right now

Woohyun: change of plans

Woohyun: Sungyeol's at his parents' house

Woohyun: he said he'll meet us another day

Myungsoo: noooooo 😭😭😭

Myungsoo: I was gonna bring chicken

Myungsoo: Sungyeol loves chicken

Sungjong: 😔😔

He quickly opens up a private message to Sungjong,

Woohyun: I lied

Woohyun: he's home and I'm with him, can u come over?

Sungjong: What's going on?????

Woohyun: I told him about Myungsoo and Hyesun

Woohyun: he didn't take it well

Sungjong: I'll be there in 30 mins

 

Sungjong, being the kind and considerate friend he is, shows up with a bag of fruit he just bought from a street vendor.

Sungyeol has woken up, but he hasn't left the bed. He's curled into Woohyun's side, not speaking much.

Sungjong enters the bedroom, forcing a smile and going to hug Sungyeol, "Welcome back." He disappears for a moment to wash the fruit, then returns with a paring knife and sits down on the edge of the bed, peeling an apple. The peels are dropped back into the plastic bag. He cuts out a slice and hold it out for Sungyeol.

"No thanks," he murmurs.

"Eat it. It'll make you feel better." Sungjong insists.

He looks like he wants to argue more, but Woohyun takes the apple and places it firmly in Sungyeol's hand. He huffs and starts eating it.

The three of them share the fruit, and Sungjong chats idly about how much free time he has lately, and how nice and quiet it's been without everybody around to bug him.

Woohyun talks about his musical, how he's made a bunch of new idol friends, and brags that Sunggyu came to watch him once.

There's a break in the conversation, and Sungyeol takes the opportunity to ask, "When was he gonna tell me?"

Woohyun shares a look with Sungjong, "I think he wanted to tell you when he came over tonight."

"How long have they been together?"

"A month or so."

He goes quiet again for a while, then says, "Okay. I'm gonna get ready for bed now."

 

Sungyeol takes a long time in the shower. Woohyun and Sungjong dust around the apartment, conversing in hushed voices.

"Do you think he'll be okay?" Sungjong asks.

"He'll have to be, eventually."

"What are we gonna do about Myungsoo? We can't just make excuses to keep him away for Sungyeol's entire stay."

"We'll just make it up as we go, and make sure we're here to support Sungyeol."

 

Sungyeol doesn't bother drying his hair after showering, so Sungjong does it for him while he lays in bed and toys with his phone. He's looking through photos and videos of Myungsoo and Hyesun together in interviews and in the drama, being all romantic, holding hands, kissing, and they just seem so well matched that he doesn't know how to feel.

Sungjong switches the hairdryer off and tugs on his ear, "Stop looking at that stuff. It's just gonna make things worse."

He pinches Sungjong's arm, "He doesn't like me and he's completely in love with her. How could things be worse?"

Woohyun enters the room, "I'm going home for the night." He ruffles Sungyeol's hair, "You gonna be okay?"

"No, I'm not." He crosses his arms and swats Woohyun's hand away, "But that has nothing to do with you leaving."

"Sungyeollie, don't be like that. Call me if you need anything. Anything at all. I mean it." He pats Sungyeol's arm and wishes his two friends goodnight.

 

Woohyun steps out of the apartment and runs into the last person he wants to see.

Myungsoo has a little takeaway box in his hand, and he's staring at Woohyun in complete bewilderment. "What are you doing here?"

"Same goes for you. What's that?" He points at the box.

"Coffee cake. Me and Hyesun tried it at a cafe last week. I thought Sungyeol would love it."

Woohyun shifts to stand directly in front of the door. "Now's not really a good time."

He frowns and sets the box on the floor. "He's here, isn't he?"

"He can't see you right now."

"Woohyun, what's going on?"

"There'll be time to explain to you later, but right now, you need to go home."

Myungsoo scoffs, "As if," and moves to push Woohyun out of the way.

Despite being at a disadvantage in height and strength, Woohyun shoves back and manages to stand his ground.

Myungsoo seems surprised at the fight Woohyun's putting up, but his face hardens again and he grabs him by the arms, yanking him away from the door and pushing him aside. He bangs on the door, shouting, "Sungyeol!! It's Myungsoo, open up!"

Woohyun tackles Myungsoo from behind and manages to pin him up against the wall. A few heads down the corridor are peeking out. They disappear again when they catch his eye. "Go home. You're causing a scene."

Myungsoo sends him stumbling backward into the opposite wall, "Why can't I see him?! Just tell me what's going on!"

"He can't see you right now because he's in love with you!" He lets the words settle, watches the shock bloom on Myungsoo's face. "He's in love with you but you're in love with someone else."

The shock turns to confusion, then mistrust, then hurt, and then all emotion seems to disappear from him at once. Myungsoo picks up the cake box and hands it to Woohyun. "Give this to him. Goodnight." He turns and leaves without another word.

Woohyun takes a moment to collect himself, then punches in the code on Sungyeol's door. When it opens he's face to face with Sungjong, who's already beginning to speak.

"Myungsoo, you need to-- oh." Sungjong pokes his head into the corridor, "He's gone?"

"Yeah."

"But he's the type to fuss until he gets his way."

"I know. Sungjong," he casts a glance at Sungyeol's closed bedroom door and lowers his voice, "I told him about Sungyeol."

"You did what?! Are you insane?!" He whispers. "He never had to know! Sungyeol wouldn't want this. He would've wanted to pretend like it never happened."

"I know. I'm sorry. And I'll apologize to him, but not right now. Does he know Myungsoo was here?"

"Of course he does. I think the whole building could hear him screaming. He asked me to go send him away."

"Alright. Tell him Myungsoo brought coffee cake." He gives the box to Sungjong. "Are you staying the night?"

"Yeah; I think it's for the best."

"Thanks, Sungjong."

 

Myungsoo doesn't know what to do. He gets in his car and sits in the parkade for a long time, and by the time he finally starts driving he's not even sure where he's headed until he's there. He knocks on Hyesun's door and she doesn't take long to answer it. She's usually awake at this hour, anyway.

"Myungsoo?" Hyesun seems to know that something's off immediately. She pulls him in, sits him down, makes tea, and pulls a chair up right next to him at the table. She rubs his shoulder gently. "Want to talk about it?"

He continues to stare blankly off into space, giving a faint shake of the head.

"Okay. But you can change your mind at any time, and I'll still be here, ready to listen."

Myungsoo looks at her. She's worried about him, and he's not making it any better by keeping his silence, but how is he supposed to tell her that he just found out his best friend is in love with him? He sighs and looks down at the table. "I'm sorry. I'm not ready to talk about it right now. But I'll tell you someday, when I am."

"That's okay."

He sighs again and leans his head onto her shoulder. "Thank you."

"Of course."

 

Sungyeol wakes up to a call from his mother. He rolls over Sungjong to grab his phone, apologizing quickly as he answers it.

She's telling him how excited she is to see him, and how proud she is to see her son all grown up, serving the country. She asks how soon he can come home, and he promises to be there by tonight.

So, before he knows it, he's hugging Sungjong outside his apartment building and thanking him for staying by his side. And then he's hopping a cab, headed home.

 

He ends up staying for three days, and being around his family makes him feel a lot better. In fact, he almost forgets about the whole situation. But on the fourth day of his military vacation, his parents send him away so that he can spend time with his friends. Reality comes crashing back down on him.

He's already starting to feel horrible less than halfway through the cab ride home. He sends Woohyun a text.

Sungyeol: I'm on my way back home now

Sungyeol: can you come over later? in the evening?

Woohyun: of course, need me to bring anything?

Sungyeol: chicken? ;)

Woohyun: lol sure

Woohyun: see you then

Sungyeol: yeah, see you ^^

When he gets home he's starving, so he rummages through his kitchen for a snack. The small coffee cake box on the table catches his eye, and he picks it up and stares at it for a moment before tossing it in the trash. It's too old to eat now.

He hears the door open and calls out, "Hi, Woohyun,"

Woohyun's hesitant voice replies, "Uhm, I brought a guest."

It's Hyesun. She smiles gently at him, takes his hand in greeting. "Sungyeol, I'm glad I can finally meet you. Woohyun told me you've already heard about me and Myungsoo."

He forces a smile and nods, "I found out the day I got back."

"I'm sure you already know why I'm here."

"I have some idea, yes." He gestures for her to sit down at the table, and she thanks him politely as she accepts the offer.

She sighs. "Myungsoo wouldn't tell me what was wrong, but I knew you were visiting this week, and I thought you must be involved. There aren't many other people he cares enough about to get riled up over like this."

Hyesun is really adept. Sungyeol thinks that's probably one of the reasons Myungsoo likes her so much -- he's always been quiet by nature, but she's able to read him with little communication. Things just work between them.

He doesn't know what to say to her. Honestly, he doesn't really want to tell her anything. But she's so caring that she came all this way just for the sake of Myungsoo, so he can't leave her hanging. "Nothing really happened between Myungsoo and myself. Actually, it's all on my side. I have my own problem and I pulled him into it, but it's something that I'll have to sort out with him. It's one of those this that'll get better with time. I'm sorry for worrying you."

She gives him an understanding look. "Alright. I hope you two can figure it out."

Sungyeol offers her coffee and the three of them sit and chat into the evening. Even though it's his first time meeting her, he finds that Hyesun is extremely easy to get along with. She's polite and fits comfortably into the conversation, even though he and Woohyun have known each other far longer than either of them have known her.

Just before she leaves, she hugs Sungyeol, thanking him for giving her some peace of mind.

He pats her back and assures her that he'll settle everything before he returns to the military.

 

Woohyun stays over that night. He and Sungyeol lay shoulder to shoulder on the bed, staring up at the ceiling and listening to cars driving by and distant voices through the open window.

"I'm going to invite everyone over tomorrow night." Sungyeol says.

He tilts his head to peek at him. "Alright."

Sungyeol closes his eyes. "I have to get over him. And I think I need to see him before I go, so that when I end up back here again, I'll have moved on."

 

True to his word, Sungyeol invites everyone to his apartment for drinks the next night.

Sungjong is the first to arrive. He brought takeout containers of noodles and soup and he helps Sungyeol set out glasses and cushions around the low table in the living room.

Woohyun comes next, exhausted from his performances that day. The first things he does is pour himself a shot and down it in one go, relishing the burn in his throat.

The three of them start the little drinking party without Myungsoo. He never responded to Sungyeol's message in the group chat, so nobody's even sure if he'll come.

Woohyun tries his best to distract everyone from Myungsoo's absence by acting like a child and whining that everybody's in the military, so they can't even have a proper drinking party. He's complaining that drinking without Dongwoo is no fun because they don't get to draw on his face when he passes out when the doorbell rings.

Sungyeol notices that the other two have fallen silent, staring at him. He cracks a nervous smile and goes to answer the door.

It's Myungsoo. He takes a moment to respond when Sungyeol welcomes him in, then he seems to decide, screw it, and pulls his best friend into a hug.

"Hi. I missed you."

Sungyeol freezes for a second, then carefully hugs him back. "Me too," he breathes.

They part awkwardly.

"You know, you could've let yourself in. I gave all of you the door code." Sungyeol chuckles.

"Oh. Right. I forgot about that." He rubs the back of his neck.

"Silly as always. Come on, let's sit down and have a drink."

 

They drink themselves silly. Woohyun insists on singing an old-timey ballad altogether, one about love and pain and friendship, and by the end he's the only one affected, bawling his eyes out into Sungyeol's shoulder. He passes out on the couch soon after.

Sungjong gets really quiet when he's drunk. But he seems to like the taste of alcohol, because even after his responses to all questions become short and drawled, he continues to throw back shots. He crawls up onto the other couch and mumbles out a little goodnight before falling asleep.

And then it's just the two of them. Both of them are still sober for the most part.

Sungyeol's just a little buzzed, but he's been trying to control himself so he can look after the others. They are guests in his home, after all.

Myungsoo has just been reserved the entire night. He was tuned in to the conversation, but he hadn't spoken much at all.

Sungyeol pours two shots and hands one to Myungsoo. He smiles a real, genuine smile. "To your relationship with Hyesun."

Myungsoo looks surprised, but holds up his glass.

"May you have no regrets moving into the future. Only happiness."

They clink glasses.

"Congratulations, Myungsoo."

 

He means it.