Can't Sleep Love

Myungyeol 50 Songfic Challenge

Pentatonix request for bannoffeeyeol.

I was going to do this one around Christmas of my own will, but I forgot...

This is kinda in the middle of By Chance, but it can be a stand-alone. Enjoy!


"4:00 a.m. You've gotta be kidding." Myungsoo groans and rolls his face into his pillow, cursing the glowing numbers on the clock. Rolling onto his back again, he recalls the events from earlier that day. Lunch with his long-time crush – who by the way looks way more gorgeous in person than in the Facebook pictures Myungsoo has saved on his laptop because he's totally normal – had been wonderful, and he'd gotten home and stayed up until 1:30 texting the other until he decided to turn in.

Grabbing his phone from the nightstand, he switches off airplane mode and opens up his text messages.

.

Sungyeol jumps at the text tone on his phone, shoving it under his pillow and holding his breath while Sungjong whines in his sleep.

The moment his roommate stills again, Sungyeol mutes his phone and turns the brightness all the way down.

 

Myungsoo: still awake? I can't sleep

 

A grin spreads across his face and he taps a message back.

 

Sungyeol: me neither. I'll ace class for sure

Myungsoo: hey uh, are you busy tomorrow? it's totally fine if you have plans

Sungyeol: I'm free anytime after 4pm

Myungsoo: awesome wanna grab dinner then?

Sungyeol: sounds great

Myungsoo: I'll pick you up at 5. I hope you like Thai food

 

Sungyeol blushes. Any food would be delicious if he was eating with Myungsoo. He catches himself being a love-struck teenager again and shakes the thoughts out of his head.

 

Sungyeol: Thai would be perfect. You should try to sleep, or you'll get sick!

Myungsoo: you should sleep too. see you tomorrow, goodnight 

Sungyeol: sweet dreams

 

Myungsoo places his phone back on the nightstand, already thinking about tomorrow. Or is it today, technically? Whenever it is, he gets to see Sungyeol again. There's no way he's going to be able to sleep now.

 .

 "Mr. Kim, I suggest you listen or I'm afraid I must ask you to leave." Myungsoo's professor slams the textbook on the table, startling him out of his thoughts. Students behind him snicker (some girls giggle) and he blushes furiously.

"Sorry, sir. I'll pay attention from now on." he does an awkward little sitting bow.

"One can only hope, Mr. Kim."

 .

"You look gross. Ew. Don't come any closer." Woohyun scorns a sleepy-eyed, messy-haired Myungsoo.

"Woohyun, you're not helping." Myungsoo glares at his friend. "I couldn't sleep."

Dongwoo laughs loudly. "He's lovesick. One date and he's smitten. How's he gonna survive the rest of the term?"

"Well, I guess we have to clean him up if he's going out again tonight." Woohyun crosses his arms. "Just remember, nobody's forcing me to do this. I'm the best friend ever. Remember this day when I ask favors of you in the future, child." He pokes Myungsoo to emphasis his point. "You owe me."

"Thanks, Your Highness."

Woohyun smacks him. "Hush, peasant."

.

Myungsoo can't believe it. Even though he was up at four in the morning, FOUR IN THE MORNING, Sungyeol still looks like he just descended the staircase from heaven, not a hair out of place and a gorgeous smile on his face.

"Hey," he recovers from his frozen state and blushes when he realizes he must've been staring.

"Hi,"

"You look great." Oh God, he must sound like a total creep.

Sungyeol blushes. "Thanks, you too. I mean, you always look great. But you look great today. Like always."

He's adorable. Shoot. Myungsoo wants to hug him. "Thanks. Wanna get going?" he waits for the other to nod and they start walking alongside each other.

After a few minutes, Myungsoo reaches out timidly and takes Sungyeol's hand in his own. It's soft and delicate, and he's sure the other can feel his pulse through his fingertips with how hard his heart is pounding. He's blinded with joy when Sungyeol intertwines their fingers, looking down at the pavement and blushing.

Myungsoo simply grips Sungyeol's hand a little tighter and basks in the thrill of the moment.